A Heart of Crystal Chapter 1

Printer-friendly version
D064D99A-8150-4F9A-9C32-5E343961CD9A.png

“Return to base.”
“Are we teleporting or transporter or something?”
“Oh, no, it’s a quick flight. Maybe ten minutes. Just sit back and relax.”
“Relax? I am going to explode.”
“Eventually, maybe. Then again, maybe not. Our specialists can work miracles.”
“Can they heal a broken heart?” I asked as the car levitated off the ground,
“I’m not sure they have ever tried to do that.”
“It was more of a lament about my life,” I groaned as I looked out the window, we were flying higher by the second.
“I do know they once tried to understood a being your planet refers to as the Flatwood Monster. They’re really from Pluto.”
“What happened?”
“It did not end well,” he replied as a third arm came out of his coat.
“Shit! You have three arms?”
“How else can one fly at sub-light speed?”
The car accelerated and there was a blinding flash of light.
“There may be some sensory disturbances as we reach maximum velocity.”
“No kidding. So, when were you going to tell me you had three arms?”
“Soory?”
“I mean, that guy at the diner and you seem to have a past. Is Mars really planning to conquer Earth?”
“If we had, Donna, would you have known?”
“That doesn’t make me feel better,” I replied and looked at him.
“Truthfully, Donna, Mars does not have any intention of invading Earth. We are now there to observe, collect information and at times save a few species that are almost gone.”
“I suppose you have a Tyrannosaurus Rex or two running free in a sanctuary?”
“We have forty-two, and yes, they are in various parks within the central Martian dome.”
“Okay, a dome?”
“Several, actually.”
“And our rovers and probes can’t see them?”
“We’ve allowed your governments to see what we want them to. You, Donna, will be the first human to see the truth.”
“Why are you doing this?”
“Taking you to Mars?”
“Yeah, I mean, if I’m a weapon of sorts, you’d want to get rid of me or disarm the bomb, right?”
“You are partially correct, Donna. You are a weapon of sorts. Considering the Venusian scientist who did this to you has, no doubt, been detected by his people, they, in turn, will want to find you. It was best to get you off-planet. We will attempt to, disarm you, as you say.” He replied as he gave a ‘thumbs up’ with his third hand.
I could only give a weak smile.

The engines whined down as the red planet came into view. I leaned forward onto what I thought at one time was a windshield and felt a shock.
“Atmospheric shields. Please try not to touch it.”
“You could have warned me,” I replied.
“This is central command. Please identify yourself.”
“This is agent..” His voice went into a high-pitch squeal and I Immediately covered my ears.

up
75 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank you.

Aylesea Malcolm's picture

Thank you.
Yes, I plan to continue it.
I think I may allow it to be more dialogue-heavy allow for conversations like that.

Great story!

I really like the world building, and character development, in this story. Will there be more?