Mousy Trap

Printer-friendly version

I had worked from home all day in case I’d have to go to my children’s school urgently so when the school bus stopped on the street I could see my son running to our house, sweep up the door and dash up the stairs with his modest skirt flapping and tears ruining his makeup. Then I heard his bedroom door bang shut.

I turned to my daughter who had traversed the distance to the house in a more leisurely pace.

”The experiment was not a success?”
”You could say that.”

Being a lone mother raising two kids is not easy, especially when you try to continue your own career. At least we didn’t want for money. That was one of the reasons I had accepted the promotion that required me to move to a new town. Not that the move itself was bad in any way. The town was much nicer than I had expected and the local high school excellent. However, it wasn’t easy for my children to move to a new school. You’d expect that it would have been toughest for my daughter who started her senior year in completely new environment without her old friends. Not at all. Eve has a knack of making a place for herself whatever the circumstances. She was soon one of the popular girls. Cheerleader and all that. The boys buzzed around her as flies around sugar. She had the very handsome student council president in her sights.

The problem was my son. A sophomore he didn’t fit in at all. No friends, not noticed by the teachers, no sporting achievements, no nothing. He wasn’t bullied. It was much, much worse than that. He was completely ignored. Ignored by his fellow students, ignored by the teachers, ignored by other staff. Tom actually wanted to be bullied. At least someone would have cared even if it was in a negative way. His sister was not really a help. She’s two years older and a girl. They didn’t move in the same circles. Eve likes her brother in an absentminded way but to tell the truth she’s rather self-centred.

At first Tom’s problems surprised me because he’s really a fun and bright kid and in his old school with his old friends there never was a problem. I admit he’s not jock material but apart from that he has so much to offer. The only thing is that in this new environment he completely shut down. He raised walls around himself. He sent out vibes telling others to keep away. A mouse would be more noticeable. Tom was aware of all that but even when he tried to do something about it he failed. And now half-way through the semester the pattern was so set that it would take something really spectacular to break through. That’s why he came up with this scheme. He decided to go to school dressed as a girl.

I thought it was a stupid idea. Eve thought it was a stupid idea. Tom won. He persuaded us it couldn’t get worse (well, I wasn’t convinced but I did give in). He planned it all very carefully. He got Eve to help him with makeup and what clothes to get. He was adamant that he didn’t want to be over-the-top. That wasn’t his style. A modish sophomore girl. Nice blouse, elegant skirt, pantyhose, shoes with a moderate heel. He even got Eve to spend hours helping him with movements and manners. I? I had to cough up the money and it was also I who got him an appointment at my salon early in the morning of the experiment.

“What happened? Did they bully him already in the bus?” I asked my daughter
“No, there was no reaction there”
“So it was when you got to school that it all began?”
“No, the only people to speak to him before class was the vice principal and the student council president. Those two know EVERYONE in school and thought Tom was a new student.”
“So when did it start?”
“Mom, you don’t understand! It was much worse than that”
“Eh?”
“They STILL completely ignored him!”

Oh my! I was about to go up to console my poor boy when the door-bell rang. When I opened the door the very handsome student council president stood there with a goofy smile and a bunch of roses. That was the final straw. I knew that Eve had been working to snare him for months but why did he have to come THIS day of all days!

“I’ll get Eve for you”
“Excuse me Ms Wilson, but I’m here for your other ... child.”

Oh my!

I called upstairs

“Tom, come down at once. Don’t change. Just come down”

Then I saw Eve in the doorway. I had forgotten all about her. In her face I saw how devastated she was.

Then she forced a smile and gave a thumbs-up sign.

up
233 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Mousy trap

I always go right to your stories as soon as I see them. I have to say this one cries for a sequel. I know most of yours are one and done but I think there could be more here.

Time is the longest distance to your destination.

Depends

I sometimes write sequels if I get hit over the head with an idea.

Right now I have no idea what could happen next.

Oh, and thank you.

fantastic

loved it, Bru!

DogSig.png

What's the saying?

Daphne Xu's picture

It isn't over until the fat lady sings. Victory snatched from the jaws of defeat.

Or might this turn out to be the ultimate failure?

When I thought of it, I felt a bit sorry for Eve.

-- Daphne Xu

The story is as much about

Eve as Tom.

Eve is a much better big sister than mother thought. She realises that her loss, despite everything, might be dwarfed by Tom's gain.

Always fun

crash's picture

Your stories are always fun. Thanks for posting this one. It seems that someone noticed Tom.

Your friend
Crash

As has been noted

what happened next is rather uncertain. Hower, since it's a story of mine it's likely it was sugarly sweet, with a twist of lemon.

Clever. You give the plot

Clever. You give the plot away in the title and still surprise us.

Wow,

Glenda98's picture

What a twister, I never saw that coming!

Glenda Ericsson

Cute

BarbieLee's picture

Something in your life has changed, besides getting older that is. Although you wrote soft stories before, this one feels different. Almost like another person besides the beautiful, interesting person I love as Bru wrote it.
A couple of twists to the story. One, Tom was so desperate to be noticed by anyone he was going to push the boundaries of normal clothing. The real gotchu is Tom's sister is obviously a hot babe, tops in the wow department in school with her eye on the very handsome student council president. However he passed over Eve and found Tom the most interesting of the pair. We are left in one of Bru's story voids which she is a manipulative master at. Is Tom more beautiful than Eve or was his innocence that attracted the very handsome student council president.
Knowing how the beautiful Bru's demented mind works, she'll leave us hanging. Only a real female could be this devious and bitchy. Males just don't have the brain power to pull it off.
Hugs Bru
Barb
Life is a gift. Treasure it, enjoy it to the max

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Certainly there was a reason

The conscious one was obvious and appeared to have failed.

Subconscious?

Some are born with xxx, some have it thrust upon them and some achieve it all by themselves.

Which is the case here?

Mission accomplished?

laika's picture

Well as it's been said, Tom got noticed; and hopefully for him in a good way.
His sister seems to think so. Since I read them within minutes of each other
I'll always equate this story with the lovely boy in Ann Galliver's recent blog:
https://bigclosetr.us/topshelf/blog-entry/90773/its-prom-tim...
and imagine the happy couple being a big hit at the school prom
in some unwritten future; possibly being crowned King + Queen;
since I tend to take this type of story to its fairy tale conclusion.
I'm cheesy like that...
~hugs, Veronica

Cheesefight!

On second thought, the Big Closet would be a terrible mess and h**l to clean up afterwards ;(

You really threw me (in a good way)

Iolanthe Portmanteaux's picture

I never see it coming!

You really have a gift, this way of putting together so much in such short pieces. Here I was, feeling sorry for Tom... and then -- the needle scratches across the record -- oh what!? Then laughing.

Add to that the fact that I just woke up and am still blinking myself awake. It was a great way to start my day.

thanks as always,

- io

How about...

Daphne Xu's picture

Child-tossing?

-- Daphne Xu

Didn't Tom shower?

Jamie Lee's picture

How can a new kid in school escape the notice of everyone including the bullies? The bullies would see Tom as a new target, but when they even ignore him something is really wrong in that school.

Others have feelings too.

Another cute story

Glenda98's picture

I enjoyed this one too

Glenda Ericsson

The origin of Tom Boy

I don't know how I could have missed this Bru story, I go right to them normally. When Trapped Mouse was released, I knew I needed to get to the start of things. And here I learned who Tom Boy was, a pretty amazing person. One of the things I like about Bru's stories is that I have to fill in the missing bits myself, such as how and what Tom Boy did after high school.
Thank you for sharing your skill with us Bru.

>>> Kay

My stories are always here

So if you miss a posting you can always find it later. If you worry you can check what I have posted.

Thank you for appreciating the "filling in the missing bits" aspect.