Brotherly Love

Printer-friendly version
Brotherly Love

(Not insignificant re-write February 9, 2015)

First day of term, first class, gym teacher’s office.

There's a knock on the door and Tom, my best friend, enters.

-Hi Dave, is Mr Ferguson around?
- He’s already out there warming up.
- I see your little sister is taking ballet this year.

- Yes, they think it will help her development.
- How is she doing at Sandringford school?
- It’s amazing the progress she has made in only a year.
- OK, give Andy and me 3 minutes and we will be out there to escort you.

My little sister is the sweetest child in the world, despite or because of her mental handicap.

If only she wouldn’t insist on “Do as big brother do” or if Sandringford wouldn’t be so firm about “structure” including school uniform. Not like my anything goes school, I think as I hang up my jacket with the Sandringford crest and matching skirt. Sometimes I wish I could tell her that I do one thing and then do another but her trust in me is too valuable. I must NEVER lie to her. This time I could possibly have escaped I lament as I make sure my pink tights are pulled up and un-twirl the spaghetti straps on my new leotard, if not my school had ballet as a PE option.

I remind myself that it’s the first 4-5 weeks of every term that are the worst and that I have the support of great friends like Tom and Andy.

I take a deep breath and open the door.

... and maybe next year she will be able to understand.

up
240 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Lovely Short

joannebarbarella's picture

Great scene setter. Is there more?

Joanne

gaps

maybe its just me, but i see some gaps here. I can't figure out if he is doing it so she will, or if he wants to.

"Treat everyone you meet as though they had a sign on them that said "Fragile, under construction"

dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

I have to admit that I was

I have to admit that I was lost on this one too. I *think* that the brother was reluctantly taking ballet because his sister wanted to, but that's my interpretation.
----
May the Stars Light Your Path
Maid Joy
http://i-know-i-know-but.net/

Brotherly Love

Me, I hope that there is more of this story to post.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Love...

Andrea Lena's picture

...so beautiful...I wept when I read this. Thank you.


Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

A cute little ditty!

Thanks for the smile!
Michelle

Ahhh

Jamie Lee's picture

Wonderful story.

I thought I understood the gist of the story the first time through. But just to make sure I understood why big brother was taking ballet, I read it again. Yes, big brother was taking ballet in order to get little sister to do so also. After all, little sister wanted to do what big brother was doing.

Others have feelings too.

Probably

Daphne Xu's picture

I'm not certain, but I think that this is the correct interpretation. They're requiring her to take ballet, so he takes ballet to make it easier -- do as her big brother is doing.

I try to remember my younger years, about oppression, indoctrination, and Orwellian conversion.

-- Daphne Xu

-- Try saying freefloating three times rapidly.