Leading Lady

Printer-friendly version

With a title like this, it shouldn’t be a surprise that I was inspired by a recent blog post (Ecc. 1:9)

As in all single-sex schools the boarding school I went to faced the problem when setting up the annual school play that most plays usually have both male AND female parts.

I and the rest of us in Drama class waited for the Drama teacher to allocate the parts. I surreptitiously loosened my tie. I hated my school uniform and in particular that noose.

….
“and finally for the leading lady, the sexy seductress Veronica, I want Peter.”

WHAT? NO!!! She can’t do that to me!

For the 9.846.764th time I cursed the intoxicated driver that had crashed into my parents’ car. This was all HER fault.

My father had mercifully been killed instantly. My mother, like her very promising acting career, had been cut short. She had lost both her legs. We had been devastated. On top on the personal loss our future had been bleak to say the least. Fortunately my mother had had a fall-back prepared. She was a qualified teacher. Even more fortunately she got a very good job. The only problem was that it was at an all-girls school on an island beyond beyond. No school suitable for a teenage boy for hundreds of miles. So my mother had insisted that the school pay for a boarding school for me. A good one.

I was not happy at all but I also realised that this was the best available alternative. I agreed. I was not prepared for what awaited me.

I won’t deny that the change was a chock to me. The first week I cried every night. I can’t deny that the school was excellent but I was used to a normal school. You know with a mix. A mix of boys and girls. A mix of people both rich and less rich (no actually poor people lived where we used to live, but anyway). No dress code. Fairly relaxed rules. What I got was a monoculture. Strict rules including school uniform (with that d****d tie), severely enforced. Actually, I could live with that. The real problem was my fellow students. I was not comfortable at all among the offspring of the rich and powerful. I did not fit in. I was left out in the cold.

So, I cried for one week and then another and then I decided to “fake it until you make it”. My mother really had been a rapidly rising acting star and whether by nature or nurture it had rubbed off on me. I started to blend in. I was surprised how good I was at it. I started to be accepted. I got friends. I became the archetypal student, the very model of the school’s students. Maybe I overdid it a bit but that is normal when trimming in a new system.

Now the Drama teacher threatened to destroy all my work. How could I live down getting the role of Veronica, the femme fatale?

“NO! I won’t do it” I exclaimed.
Drama teacher: “Sorry Peter, but I need someone that just oozes feminine sexuality and I’m afraid that you are the only student that can pull that off.”

Worse and worse!

“NO!”

I got up and started to walk away.

“Peter, come back!”

Oh no, she used THAT voice. I knew better than to defy her when she used THAT voice. I whipped around and walked back to the Drama teacher whose "presence" in no way was diminshed by sitting in a wheelchair. If I hadn’t been so upset I wouldn’t have flicked my school uniform skirt in that extra flirty way that I had acquired over the last month. Mum and I REALLY should have looked at the boarding school clause more carefully.

“But Mum, there are 486 girls in this school, why …”

Damn it. Even when whining I sounded sultry!

up
129 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Sultry

Emma Anne Tate's picture

When you’ve got it, you’ve got it!

Thanks for the smile, Bru. Glad my blog post tickled your muse. :)

Emma

Thank you for the inspiration

and the comment.
It gave me a smile. If you mix English and my native language your last sentence becomes quite pornographic :)

Oozes what?

Oozes what? Are other girls, what?

Well that...

Erisian's picture

That and will soon be under a lot of dress. Oops, sorry...duress.

Well, didn’t expect that!

D. Eden's picture

What a twist that was, lol.

I had kind of expected something like this, until I read, “No school suitable for a teenage boy for hundreds of miles. So my mother had insisted that the school pay for a boarding school for me. A good one.”

I’m sure like everyone else, I assumed that meant that Peter was separated from his mother and sent to an all boys school. The assumption when you mentioned a single-sex school was that it was an all male school.

You definitely got me with this one! Now the only question is whether there will be more?

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Sultry Girl?

Hey Bru! Cute story, with a great twist at the end.
I hope you intend to continue it with part 2 and 3.
You have developed the Heroine, so now flesh her out.

Polly J

In the flesh?

I don't think the school is prepared to go THAT far.

Seriously though, I very seldom write sequels. It happens, but not very often.

disappointed

lisa charlene's picture

very sad that your not going to do more with the story it was a very good start but needs more

Why me ???

Why me ??? The plaintive cry of teenage angst the world over. Getting a free pass to a girls' school, no wonder he had trouble settling in and crying at night, although for some they would be tears of joy..
The about face at the end was a bit of a surprise, well done for leading us all up the wrong path. Well worth another chapter Bru.

photo-1592621385612-4d7129426394_1710612803242_0.jpg

Gill xx

In his case that cry is not exactly without reason.

As someone that just has spent a month at an all-girl student home (though only about 60 girls) I can tell you that imagination and reality is not exactly the same.

Want the Play to Dazzle the Audience

BarbieLee's picture

The director knows which of her actresses can make the audience take note of exceptional talent. Peter's problem is one hundred percent immersion in estrogen brigade as he wallowed in self pity. Now he is one of "them" and a better than good actress.

Many years back my daddy told me a story about the people one associates with until you become just like them. I think daddy's words of wisdom fits in perfectly here. Peter has become "one of them"
.
Hugs Bru..., darling, sweety, the pink cocktail dress you wore to Big Truck Expo last week? I want. What kind of secrets could there be at a big rig showing? Lots of money, power brokers in the business world, shipping, what?
Barb
It's not true he who has the most toys wins. Money can't buy happiness. Ever notice it's always those who have the most money are telling the rest of us that nonsense?

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

One of them?

Shouldn't it be one of "us" from his new point of view?

As for the expo: It was rigged!

Reading Carefully

Daphne Xu's picture

... isn't necessary. One can always return and reread the story, to see where one was led astray.

-- Daphne Xu

Corruptor of youth

I keep leading you astray.

<500 Words.

You wrote just enough to hook me. Are you going to continue this with further chapters?

642 words

according to Word. The counter on this site usually gives a higher number so it should be closer to 700 words.

I didn't see that one coming

Which is what you were working for now wasn't it? Enjoyed the story.

FUN!!

As the kiddies on the internet say, ROTFLMAO!

Janice