Nightmare?

Printer-friendly version

Instead of waking up in our small flat next to the university campus I wake up in my old boy’s room as it looked when I was 16. I check my alarm clock. The date is the day after my 16th birthday. Something else feels wrong too. Instead of my usual buzz-cut my hair goes down to my shoulders. Looking down on my chest I see two mounds through the neckline of my PJs. Two smallish but pert breasts, exactly the kind I like; on girls! Panicking my hands go down to my crotch. IT isn’t there any longer! Just an extra slit!

AAAARGH!!!

My mother rushes in and wonders what has happended. Her reaction when I tell her isn’t what I had expected. She gushes how happy she is that my birthday wish has come true! Birthday wish? This is horrbible, terrible and she’s happy for me!

Father, little brother and big sister also join us and they are just as demented. Can’t anyone understand how horrible this is?

Sis brings me into her room and submits me to the torture of make-up and lends me some of her old clothes; bra, panties, tights, light summer dress, shoes with a small heel. I’m too dazed to stop her. Before I know it we are at the bus stop waiting for the bus. The lunacy continues. The other kids waiting there all tell me how cute I am and how happy they are for me. No one listen to me when I try to tell them that this is awful and that I should go to the hospital.

The same thing in school. Coach smiles and congratulates me and then punishes me by removing me from the baseball team. Hey! I don’t want this help me instead! Oh no, why should anyone bother about sanity? Instead the girls’ coach wants to schedule an extra tryout for me for the cheerleading squad. Isn’t there anyone who hasn’t lost his mind? Oh, there comes Carl, my best friend.

Carl: “Hi, your transformation is great. Now I can do what I’ve wanted to do for ages”

He sweeps me up in his arms and kisses me!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!

I wake up in our flat screaming, arms flailing, sweat streaming, body shivering.

For some strange reason that wakes up Annie, the love of my life. I tell her about my nightmare.

Her reaction:
"Don’t (she punches me hard) you (another punch) ever (punch) dare (punch) to (punch) have (punch) another (punch) dream (punch) like (punch) that (punch)!"

Then she collapses crying. I carefully sneak one arm under her and hold her as her sobbing tapers off.

I’m an idiot!
I never should have told her about my nightmare.
I should have remembered that one man’s nightmare is another’s dream.

Fortunately her SRS is next week.

up
204 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Interesting

littlerocksilver's picture

I wonder what this says about the narrator?

Portia

Yeah,

Not too smooth; zero empathy, or.....

Brain disconnected before mouth engaged.

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

Well,

Well, it was in the middle of night ...

And

He had just woke up from a nightmare...

Wow that one was good. It

Wow that one was good. It leaves me wondering if Ann was Carl years before. Nice twist ending, truer words have never been spoken.

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

Nice

Jamie Lee's picture

Rather neat story. Quite a dream he had.

Others have feelings too.

I love the ending!

It caught me by surprise.

I Wish

Daphne Xu's picture

... that Annie was more sympathetic to her loved one's nightmare. And violence was not a good response there. At least the narrator was sympathetic to Annie's distress.

-- Daphne Xu

En-gendered?

Never thought about that connection before.

I can't claim to have engendered a genre. At most I've applied a way of writing to a genre where it had been less used before.
However, I try (I'm very trying) to spread some joy. I'm very happy when people tell me I've had some success. Thank you!

Oops

Better to keep your nightmares to yourself :-)

In his defence

it was in the middle of night and he had just woken up from a nightmare (Would that make him Woke?).