Easy As Falling Off a Bike pt 3278

Printer-friendly version
The Weekly Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 3278
by Angharad

Copyright© 2021 Angharad

  
023_0.JPG

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
####

It seemed the ambulance took forever to arrive and I could probably have got her to the hospital quicker by car, but then someone would have had to sit in the back with her to stop her rolling off the seat. Besides if she'd arrested on the way, I'd never have forgiven myself.

The two paramedics appeared with their bags, a man and woman, both looked as if they should be still in school. Danni told them what happened and they examined her. The bruise on her forehead was larger and darkening and I hoped they'd be able to save her, she was still unconscious.

After a ten minute examination, they suggested she'd got a deep concussion and I was whipped off to the hospital in the back of the ambulance together with little Meems. I felt quite sick. "Talk to her," exhorted the woman paramedic, as she sat monitoring her various dials all of which were attached to Meems.

I did as I was asked and explained to Meems that she'd tripped over her satchel and bumped her head on the dining table but the nice paramedics had come to take her to the hospital and the doctors would soon fix her up. I didn't feel the conviction I was trying to convey to her but I hoped that I reassured her a little if nothing else.

Once again I found myself in the waiting room while they whipped Mima into the treatment area and I heard them paging Sam. For the first time since I heard the scream, i actually felt a slight lift in my mood as I had enormous confidence in Sam as both a doctor and a person and I knew he'd do everything he could.

About a quarter of an hour later he came out into the waiting area. "She's taken quite a whack on her forehead, we've sent her down for imaging to see what the damage is, but she is still unconscious which tends to indicate there may be some form of brain injury."

"Oh, Sam, if she is, I don't know how I'll cope."

"Hey, you're my tzadeikes, you are special, you will cope and besides with your connections she may return to full health."

" I don't see how connections to a bank or university will help very much."

"I didn't mean those connections, Cathy," he flicked his eyes upward and I nodded.

"Oh that connection?"

"Yes," he said, "if you have any favours to call in, now may be the time."

"I think I am more likely to be in the Old Testament version of the doghouse," I said blushing.

He snorted and shook his head, "I thought to err was human and to forgive divine."

I shrugged, "Yeah and to fuck it completely you need a computer," I added without any thought.

"I beg your pardon, Lady Cameron?" he said smirking.

"Sorry, it's just an old joke, it came out before i could stop it."

"I have to go, I'll let you know how she is as soon as I can." I thanked him and went back to my vigil. Moments later, Danni trotted over to me.

"How is she?" she asked.

"About the same, they're doing imaging to ascertain any brain injuries."

"Oh great, just what we need."

I shrugged, "What are you doing here, anyway?"

"Gee thanks, Mummy, I spend a fortune on a taxi to come and support you and you grumble about it."

"Okay, thank you darling, I'll refund the taxi fare."

"Nah, Auntie Stella gave it to me. She's working this afternoon and said she'd look in later." I nodded and went back to my sadness but felt grateful for Danni's hand holding mine. She really was developing into a lovely caring young woman.

"Cathy, do you want to come and see if you can work any of your magic?" Called Ken quietly and Danielle and I went to see how Meems was doing. "We've got some results back."

"Oh," I said sensing the worst.

"She's got some deep bruising in the Broca's area or the left inferior frontal gyrus, as well as some in the frontal cortex. At present it isn't very swollen, which is unusual given the whack she must have given herself."

"She fell over a satchel and bashed her head on the table, it did make quite a thud," said Danielle who'd witnessed the incident.

I felt tears running down my face. "Is there anything i can do?"

"She's in here, she'd been sedated to try and keep any swelling down, but see if you can work your magic. There's a neurosurgeon going to speak to me later over the internet, see if she needs any intervention, so if you can make that unnecessary, it would be good for everyone."

I went and sat alongside her and Danni moved to the chair the other side of the plinth. We both took hold of her hand and I began desperately trying to pump in the blue light to her. It felt very hard work and I know Danni was trying to do the same on her other hand. It felt like trying to push mercury uphill and took loads of concentration and my energy.

Sometime later Stella arrived and I came out of my trance and Danielle yawned and stretched. "How is she?" asked Stella.

I shrugged preferring not to say anything in front of Meems as she may have been able to hear me.

"Look, I don't start for twenty minutes or so, why don't you both go and get a cuppa and a little walk and I'll sit with her." I was reluctant but Danni wanted a wee, so we went to the hospital restaurant where she ate a huge cheese roll and bag of crisps while I ate a custard cream biscuit and sipped a cup of tea. We were back in twenty minutes and after a peck on the cheek, Stella rushed off to her clinic. "Oh, I told Simon, he's going to come home as early as he can get away."

"Well that should brighten her up, did you hear that, Meems, Daddy is going to come home earlier to see you." Her eyes were moving under her closed eyelids showing she was processing something and a moment later she sighed and smiled. I shook my head and Danielle smiled.

"She's still Daddy's girl," Danni whispered to me, "even though you do ten times as much for us all."

"It's all part of the irony of motherhood, you spend loads of time with them when they're babies and the first thing they say is, 'Da da." I whispered back to Danni. She laughed and I think she said, 'typical,' but I was watching Meems who smiled on hearing Danni's laughter. "Talk to her," I hissed and Danielle did while I continued to try and ram the energy into her as quickly as I could.

Ken reappeared and told me they wanted to do some further scans for the surgeon from Southampton to see. He told us to go and get some more tea as they'd be half an hour at least. Being compliant females we both did as we were told.

"Am I still going to be able to go to Chelsea tomorrow?" she asked stuffing a plate of chips down her.

"Tomorrow, oh blow, I'd forgotten. Speak with your dad, I'm sure he'd be able to organise something. Have we told the school?"

"I don't go back to school until Monday."

"Sorry, sweetheart, I'm just brain boggled at the moment."

"Yeah, okay I'll talk to Daddy." She went back to her rapidly diminishing pile of fried potato pieces.

Sam strode into the restaurant, "She's improved a little as far as we can see and she's resting. The chap from Southampton neuro unit said he'd like to leave it for a couple of days and see how it went. So you have a bit more time to work your miracles. Did you know a child in the next cubicle has made a full recovery after being fished out of the sea."

"No I didn't, I hope she'll be okay then."

"I have complete confidence in you, Cathy."

"I meant the other child."

"Oh she'll be fine and I fully expect Jemima to do the same."

"I'll give it my best shot, Sam, even if I have to get the Shekinah here in person."

"If you do, Cathy, let me know, I think I'd prefer to pass on that one."

"Oh, why?"

"Shall we say, those who stare on the face of the divine tend not to enjoy it."

"Men can't see her anyway."

"All the same, I'll pass and leave that to her two angels." He rose from the table taking a mug of tea with him and went off through the door.

"Did you hear that, Mummy, Dr Rose thinks we're two angels."

"He probably meant you and Mima, I don't think I could be described as angelic by any stretch of the imagination."

"No, course not, you're the big bad demon," she said trying to deepen her voice and choked on a chip. Serve her right but a drink of cola sorted her coughing.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
165 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

You still have it.

It's very nice to see you continuing to tell this story. Not to be cheeky. Early on this wordsmithing showed me the path when I could not see it. Thank you.

Gwen

compliant females?

To which I say Ha! Fat chance!

BTW, whatever happened to the black lady down the street?

Brain boggled... Isn't that

What we all are after a year of lockdowns, Tiers and toilet roll shortages?

Looking a little more promising for Meems, Hopefully another dose of the blue light should bring an end to Meems problems.

We can only but hope....

Kirri

Tenterhooks...

Robertlouis's picture

For a whole week.

How will your band of devoted fans survive the latest cliffhanger?

Let’s just hope that Mima does. Fingers crossed!

Rob x

☠️

A waiting game

It has been a while since Cathy has been stuck in the local hospital system. All we can do is wait and see, if Meems gets better.
While the minutiae of hospital visiting is mainly boring, you managed to keep this reader interested. Sam will be happy that the side effects of the blue light will work on a few other patients as well.
Another lovely episode Angharad.
Love to all.
Anne G.

Brain injuries are nasty.

Brain injuries are nasty.
My sister had a diffuse brain injury in a car accident 3 years ago approx.
She was not expected to live. 90% fatality for her injury. No brain surgery needed as her intracranial pressure never rose to dangerous levels.
Survived after 8 weeks in a coma.
Not able to drive or work but able to walk and talk and do most normal things. Still has memory problems and gets confused.
She was very lucky. Still goes to headway for ongoing therapy.
https://headway.ie/

Compliant?

Rhona McCloud's picture

Cathy is of course as guilty of manipulating men and using them as an excuse as any other woman but there's a fine line between compliant and complicit. The "Me too" movement is still with us and while Cathy has stood up to those who tried to abuse their power over her is it time she admitted that her burgeoning figure is down to her own weakness when faced with tea and biscuits?

Thank you for the post Angharad - I promise that spring and freedom in the fresh air will soon come xx

Rhona McCloud