Easy As Falling Off a Bike pt 3067

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 3067
by Angharad

Copyright© 2016 Angharad

  
007b_0_0.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
*****

“Where the hell did this rag come from?” I ranted throwing the newspaper down on the floor and kicking it for good measure. The dog and the cat disappeared in a cloud of dust and even the girls seemed noticeable by their absence.

“Did you call, my beloved?” said Simon stifling a smirk.

“This..this rag,” I stamped upon the Sunday Telegraph which was the object of my ire.

“The paper you’ve just spent half an hour doing the crossword in? I bought it when I went for fuel, the rugby coverage is very good. Why?”

“That moron Booker has suggested Trump is right to disbelieve climate change because it’s all a con by climate scientists.”

“Ah, I think I understand the problem. Look most Sunday Torygraph readers are ninety five and senile, so what they read today they’ll have forgotten by—today.”

“I wrote castigating him once before about badgers, he doesn’t research his piece just writes whatever comes into his arse.”

“I think you mean his head, dearest.”

“Not with shit like he writes.”

“Point taken—did I read somewhere that women swear more than men these days?”

“How the bloody hell would I know?”

“Fine, would modom like a cup of best Assam, Ceylonese and Kenyan blended tea?”

“What’s wrong with Twinings?” I asked too irritated to really think about what he was saying. Ever since Brexit, the world seemed to have been going mad, confirmation being received when Trump was elected the next president of the United States. Now this pile of pigswill purporting to be a paper and its message decrying years of research by climate scientists by a pipsqueak with a brain smaller than an amoeba’s mitochondrion (they don’t have one), just pushed me over the edge.

“That is what Twinings is.”

“What is?”

“Never mind, I’ll put the kettle on—it’s like groundhog day some days...” he wittered on to himself.

I picked up the newspaper and after rolling it up threw it in our recycling bin. By this time he was calling me to come and get my tea. I sat and picked up the mug in both hands, then put it down rather quickly, god it was hot. He sniggered and I fumed.

“Look I know you’re upset by what the Americans have done, but it is their country and they are entitled to do what they want with it.”

“Yes, but to hear the president elect is looking to wriggle out of the Paris agreement on climate change, makes me feel very isolated.”

“Why?”

“It’s seen as fact that we have more carbon in the atmosphere than there has been for ten thousand years. The evidence in core samples taken from the Arctic and the Antarctic show this is the case and the Americans have been measuring recent amounts—since the nineteen sixties on Hawaii. The amount of carbon dioxide is rising year on year and temperatures are also rising. The ice is melting at the poles, especially the Arctic and some stupid idiot gets himself elected president and denies it all, declaring it a hoax by the Chinese. That was bad enough but for it to be trumpeted so triumphantly in the Telegraph was just too much.”

“So if he withdraws America from the accord, the rest will just have to go along without him.”

“Except that the US is the second largest producer of carbon emissions after China and the Chinese are signed up to the accord.”

“So let the Chinese lead on it, that should stir him enough to bring him to senses.”

“I don’t think he cares about anything but himself.”

“Does any politician?”

I shrugged, “Some do but I guess you’re right.”

“Why are you so upset about Trump anyway?” he took a large sip of tea.

“I was thinking of accepting the chair they were offering me at Havard.”
It worked a treat, he sprayed tea all over himself and the table and ended up coughing like a drowning man, which I suppose he was if he’d inhaled tea.

I sat there smirking, enjoying my revenge. David came over to see what was happening and slapped Simon several times on his back. “You okay?” he asked. Simon coughed and nodded, tears running down his face. I simply sat and drank my tea and smirked some more—it’s nice when a plan comes together.

“You did that deliberately,” he accused, wiping a variety of fluids from his face and dabbing at the table.

“Moi?”

“Yes, you bitch, tu.”

“C’est la vie,” I said and walked away from the table and my somewhat embarrassed and damp hubby.

“You set him up for that, didn’t you?” accused Julie.

“Prove it,” I said and smirked and she chuckled.

“I expect he asked for it.”

I shrugged.

Half an hour later, I was in my study dealing with an item of national importance—what to get the girls for Christmas that cost less than two hundred pounds and was smaller than a jet fighter—when Simon came into the room.

“Hello darling,” I purred.

“You set me up, you have no intention of going to Havard. I just spoke to Tom and he knows nothing about it.”

“Well I’d hardly tell him until I made my mind up, would I now?”

For a moment doubt came over his face, “You wouldn’t leave your precious dormice would you?”

“I think they would normally come after the children, darling.”

“Yeah, and just above me.”

“Aww snookums, you’re jealous of some dormice.”

“Don’t be ridiculous.”

“You are,” I goaded.

“All right, so I am, what of it? You’re the most important thing in my life and you just treated me with total contempt.”

Talk about overreaction, it was only partial contempt—but that’s men for you, emotionally unstable without women to keep them balanced and sometimes we have to give them a little wobble just to clear the air.

“Me? I wouldn’t dream of it,” I lied.

“You women are all the same, toying with our emotions...”

“Simon, you inhaled a spot of tea not drowned in it. Besides you were teasing me about tea. I just got my own back.”

“I didn’t humiliate you in front of the staff.”

“No, neither did I you.”

“What’s David then?”

“He wasn’t listening, he had his iPod in playing nineteen seventies pop music.”

“How d’you know that?”

“He was singing along with it.”

“That’s what the horrible noise was, I thought he’d just beaten whatever we’re having for dinner, to death.”

“Nah, it would make less noise than that—unless it was one of the children.”

“Wouldn’t they take too long to cook?”

“Not one of the younger ones.”

“You have a very strange sense of humour, wifey.”

“And you don’t?” I almost choked myself getting that out.

“No, not at all, as bankers go, my humour is second only to Mark Carney.”

“Who?”

“Governor of the Bank of England.”

“But he’s Canadian, that’s cheating.”

Simon beamed at me, though quite why, I wasn’t sure but he’d obviously achieved some goal.

“I bet Julie I could work his name into a conversation with you.”

“Who, that Carney fellow?”

“Yep, the same.”

“How much?”

“She can do the table clearing after lunch.”

“Why?” I usually did it.

“Ah, that would be telling.”

I’m sure the bugger was just winding me up—yeah, that had to be it.”

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
246 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

What Simon

Sammi's picture

didn't tell Julie was which lunch and that they are having lunch at the hotel with the board of the bank and their families.


"REMEMBER, No matter where you go, There you are."

Sammi xxx

Alot of my community is

Wondering if we will be herded into special camps.Trump was not good news.

Simon stepped right into, as

Simon stepped right into, as did Cathy. Always nice to see who comes out on top during these "back and forth" verbal scrimmage the two of them have on occasions.
The real winners are the Dormice, because as much as Cathy might talk about leaving to anywhere, she can't leave her Dormice behind. They are what make her so unique in her own way.

Melting ice

I wonder if Cathy could tell me exactly what caused the massive, miles thick, ice sheets to melt which once covered North America and Europe??
BEFORE there were hydro carbons being released into the atmosphere England had Vineyards to rival those of France.
Just curious.
FYI I know the climate is changing and I'm sure soon to be President Trump does also!!

My question is purely coincidental.

JBP

Agree with Cathy on this!

Christina H's picture

The daily Torygraph is a tabloid wrapped up in a broadsheet format. As for President elect Trump the American people decided and like Brexit we have to respect their choice and stop whinging and get on with it whether we like it or not.

But while I think I understand the American electoral collage voting system I still cannot get my head around the fact that the person with the most of the votes can still loose.
Climate change I agree that at present we are in an inter-glacial period where the earth warms but according to ice core samples the rise in Co2 is unprecedented which and with the permafrost melting Methane is being released which is a more potent greenhouse gas - ahhhhhh the problems of global responsibility still in theory the 'hole' in the ozone layer was reduced with combined action - hopefully the climate can be changed back with the same combined action.
Very heavy for a dizzy blonde with chipped nails!

Christina

The people of the US .Voted

The people of the US .Voted Trump in he the new boss we just have to deal with and not chuck the toys out of the pram.Simpson right again.Do they have a Time Machine.Love the fact the loveys are in a tiss.

WIN_20151023_13_56_29_Pro.jpg

Will Trump start the new

Will Trump start the new company Buy n Large, Buy n Large all you need and so much more,

If I remember correctly, didn

If I remember correctly, didn't Trump come out against North Carolina when no other candidate did ?
And didn't he support the Canadian T-girl in the beauty pageant ?

Karen

I think

Angharad's picture

he only supported the Canadian girl because public pressure forced him to, then he could show how magnanimous he was. As for North Korea, I mean Carolina, he stated that he didn't care what toilets people used in his hotels. He's also said he's okay with same sex marriage. Not sure about his vice president, who's a bible basher.

If you make an enemy of Trump, you have one for life. A Scots crofter refused to move when he built his golf course. They cut off the mains water, despite it being illegal. Three years later, a 92 year old woman has to carry water from the stream because the mains water hasn't been reconnected.

Angharad

Well at least Simon

was right on one thing , The poor excuse for a newspaper that is the Daily Telegraph does have very good sports coverage , And its all in a very convenient tabloid section , Which means you can either throw away the main part or lay it down on the floor for muddy boots to rest on , Whatever you do with it don't waste your time reading it . Thats time you can never get back ...

Kirri

For What It's Worth...

The majority of Americans did NOT vote for Trump.

Of some 200 million registered voters, the plurality of Americans (about 70 million) did not vote at all. This is awful, but only slightly more awful than usual. We're always like this. (And by "we," I'm not including me. I always vote, and vote for the most sensible and realistic candidate.)

Of the rest, Hillary actually won the most votes. She beat The Donald by over a million.

But, we have this cockamamie system that 18th century farmers, who seemed to have some idea that land elected presidents, not people, called the Electoral College, where you win if you get 51% (actually 50% + 1 vote) in enough states to land 270 "Electoral Votes." As our system is further skewed towards states that don't have any people in them (every state starts with 3 votes, even if nobody lived there at all), there's a built-in conservative bias in the system, or at least one which overweights the influence of people in rural states, it completely violates the idea that every person's vote should count equally.

So, Trump won, but he actually lost the popularity contest. Which will explain why his drastic changes to our society and priorities will probably be met with ongoing unpopularity.

On a personal level, we're joining the resistance! This includes subscribing to newspapers that deserve subscribers to support their journalistic efforts, to try to keep the new Administration honest and let people know what's happening, and donating to Planned Parenthood, which is about to be under sustained assault. We'll be looking around for other organizations to support which will either oppose his more evil plans, or provide help to the victims of them.