Easy As Falling Off a Bike pt 3249

Printer-friendly version
The Weekly Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 3249
by Angharad

Copyright© 2020 Angharad

  
023_0.JPG

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
####
* Author's note in order to bring the story up to date it is going to be necessary to jump forward at least a year. Everyone has survived, which given the situation in mid 2020 is a matter of good luck. The lockdown has created problems for the family so perhaps we need to see just what happened as the Camerons deal with covid-19 virus and a world affected by it.
The lockdown had happened, possibly a week or two later than it should have though it caught us somewhat by surprise and we became a family rent asunder by it. Simon was stuck in London but Sammi was with us in Portsmouth, Julie and Phoebe were in Portsmouth but in their own flat and Jacquie was stuck in Southampton where she was doing a degree in philosophy and comparative religions. I think she only did it because Trish knew nothing about any of it and so couldn't 'put her right' in her erroneous opinions. Trish's opinions were always correct - as far as Trish was concerned. All I knew was my set of Joseph Campbell's books were now in Jacquie's bedsit in Southampton. It's actually a one bed flat, but I think I've seen bigger bedsits, but at least she is self contained with her own kitchen and bathroom the former having its own washing machine.

Simon had bought another flat in London, this time it had two bedrooms and Sammi shared it with him during a normal week, but nothing was normal now. Despite being told to stay home, Simon would walk or cycle to work - he bought a folding bike for the purpose, a Brompton. I hadn't seen it, but I have a feeling he got one with an electric motor. He was okay, bored out of his mind but we spoke everyday on the phone and once a week or so using Zoom. Not exactly secure, but we were only talking about ordinary things.

We also Zoomed with Jacquie and she said it was the only thing which kept her sane, that and having her own place. I actually helped her buy it, she eventually got some compensation for being unfairly convicted of a crime she didn't commit, and we thought it would be a good idea for her to invest some of it in property and one bedroom flats tend to sell to first time buyers, so there is always a market for them.

Phoebe and Julie had bought a new salon after the old one was damaged by fire, helped by Simon and the insurance. Their new place was much nicer but suddenly their business was closed down by lock down regulations. Hairdressers were to be closed for about sixteen weeks and beauty therapists even longer. But at least they were together, even if they were bored out of their skulls and because they weren't part of our household anymore, they couldn't pop in to do their washing or anything else. It felt very frustrating for everyone, but I was encouraging everyone to stay home except for shopping or personal exercise.

In practising social distancing we did occasionally arrange to see each other by staying a few yards apart but it was so hurtful not being able to give either of them a hug. We phoned each other and used Zoom. Once a week, I'd set up a conference call and everyone would be on Zoom together. Considering my scepticism of such software I was reasonably impressed, though anything involving the university we used Microsoft team.

Things which were already hard, became harder and I felt very sorry for the students, those in their final year could still submit their dissertation, but online, usually we have type-written copies on paper and bound with those plastic binder grip thingies. I've still got one in my study bought to do my master's dissertation and used again for my doctoral thesis.

In the initial stages everyone was home, then a couple of months into it the convent allowed the children to go back in half time. The class rooms were disinfected between each 'shift', ours went in the mornings but before then, they were sent work every day except Sunday and had to do it that day and submit the next. They certainly weren't allowed to slack. Despite being relatively busy, there were still squabbles and rows. Trish, Hannah and Livvie were all now teenagers, being thirteen. Hannah and Livvie were now having periods but there was no friction over that and our non menstruating girls, instead they squabbled over anything and everything else - just like a normal family of teenage girls.

Stella and her two had come back to live with us having had her own place she decided it was more comfortable with us and Tom raised no objections. Thankfully, she was much more helpful than she had been and both her two were now of school age but she took them off to a separate school near the hospital. It was private too and I'm pretty sure Henry helped her with the bills.

Danni was now sixteen and a very lovely young woman who was rarely short of attention from boys until the virus happened, so she took a while to come to terms with 'house arrest' as she called it. She and Trish spent most fine days playing with a football in the garden. I still felt sad that the FA had treated her so badly simply because she was transgendered. I'd even suggested she continue playing for Portsmouth ladies but to her it was England or nothing.

I had even made the unthinkable suggestion that she consider playing for Scotland ladies as both her parents were Scottish by birth and so were her grandfathers. Sadly the virus interrupted our negotiations but I knew the manager was quite interested and like the Scottish parliament seemed to be more proactive in dealing with minority groups. It would mean that Danni would have to play regularly at club level and then attend training sessions up in Scotland, but with our support it was all possible. I was also working on her attitude to change her mind to give it one more go and for Scotland. It would certainly look good on her CV.

Tom was still the same, he was acting Vice Chancellor and worked as many hours from home as he did from his office. He grumbled about the fact that he ate more salads than chicken curries, especially during the early part of the lockdown when it was very warm - all the youngsters got well tanned just playing out in the garden.

David was still with us, but he was the only help we had none of the others stayed very long, though initially they would tell me I was the best employer ever. I never managed to discover why they left. At one point, I even considered seeing if Maureen knew of anyone, even a trannie who wanted a reasonably paid job. Apparently none of them did, possibly she paid better - though her business had to temporarily close due to the virus restrictions - at least they did for two months but people like the bank were asking her to do the work they had arranged before the lockdown and while it was relatively quiet.

You remember Delia who was my secretary turned student, well she was awarded a 2:1 in Natural Science. I was so proud of her and pleased for her. We're still hoping to get out and celebrate sometime with Diana, my current secretary.

We are still trying to work out what is going to happen next year, possibly some of it will be virtual lectures via the internet, but they can't learn dissection or lab work that way - doing experiments or using instruments like microscopes or spectrometers. We are meeting in the flesh in small numbers to discuss these things as well as internet meetings. At present it looks like numbers will be down as we will have lost many of our overseas students, especially Chinese ones.

I'm also looking at the possibility of those activities they need equipment for, such as lab work will be done in smaller groups by shift, we'll just have to try and accommodate it, so could push staff costs up. Anyway, I'm still at Portsmouth, though Bristol was very tempting and there are still rumours that Sussex could come up at any time if bloody Harvard or whoever would only hurry up and make Esmond an offer he couldn't refuse. I'm not entirely sure I want it even if I was successful at interview - though Ezzie does keep telling me he's only keeping the seat warm for me and that I was the best student he'd ever taught. I take such statements with a bucketful of salt, never mind a pinch.

So that's where we are today, so far safe but separated as a family and looking forward to August when we can at last begin to meet.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
180 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

At least the

family is more or less together, Tom is able to see his grandchildren.... Mind you given how children squabble, Then that is perhaps a mixed blessing, Children are generally pretty adaptable to most circumstances But this year and the near six month absense from school has tested even the most laid back of children.Add that to furloughed parents and you get a pretty potent mix , One which i am sure most families will fervently hope is not repeated next year.

Kirri

Ah, Lock down

As someone who has finished a five month 'spell' in lock down, thanks to one of the tablets I have to take, I sympathise with Cathy.

I am glad the young ones have come through it well. Given the age of some of the sisters at the convent, I wonder if they all made it.

Thanks for keeping the saga going, Angharad, a touch of 'reality' in a mad world.

Love to all

Anne G.

Reduced options

Podracer's picture

From a world of apparent unlimited horizons and choice, to a severely shrunken ones is quite a shock. No matter how much or little we have had, there is less. Even the educated and wealthy Cameron clan have no immunity to this. I hope they and our authors all can survive and adapt.
I miss hugs.

"Reach for the sun."

Life re-emerges

Rhona McCloud's picture

I was wondering how EAFOAB was going to approach our changing world and I think this approach is spot on. In a rapidly changing world the time-setting is crucial to getting both the cost and the value of any action right and I congratulate Angharad for trying to help us understand how each new day seems to the characters we've come to know over the years.

Rhona McCloud

Lockdown

Robertlouis's picture

As I enter my own sixth month of dealing with coronavirus, yes, it’s easing, but not going away, the issues created by Covid for a large family like Cathy’s are fraught and frightening. It’s going to be very interesting to see where you take the narrative from here, Angharad, as the normal rules of fiction, as of everything else, are in suspension. I wish you luck. xxx

☠️