Easy As Falling Off a Bike pt 3267

Printer-friendly version
The Weekly Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 3267
by Angharad

Copyright© 2020 Angharad

  
023_0.JPG

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
####

For A.G. who likes to read in bed, Merry Christmas.
The three weeks between my birthday and Christmas seemed to fly, in fact, they may have even gone supersonic because it seemed to happen so quickly. One moment I'm being wined and dined in the green room and the next, I'm helping David make mince pies on Christmas eve. We did have several pairs of hands who wanted to assist, probably more in the eating than the making, but they did help to clear up afterwards and before they got their still-warm mince pie. David claims he is no pastry cook because his hands are too warm, they do tend to be warmer than mine, but I have no interest in messing about with pastry, you could say I don't know my choux from my filo.

I've made plenty of pies in my time and a few puff pastry things as well, but I don't enjoy it because it's so time-consuming, mixing the ingredients and rolling it out and so on. I know lots of people have fun in making all sorts of pastry things, but I am simply not one of them.

My job was increasingly difficult but the university was prospering and getting mentions in the national press from psychology to palaeontology. It's good to have some sort of profile but everything was just so busy despite so many people working from home and thanks to the virus, or a new mutation of, we were back in the equivalent to lockdown or tier 4, which means most things are shut down and everyone is supposed to stay at home except for work or food shopping. There were all sorts of league tables being shown but essentially, once the QA became overwhelmed, it became inevitable that we'd end up in the highest category as the new variant of the virus seemed to be speeding along the south coast from Kent and north into London.

Some places were describing it as originating from the UK, but it didn't, it was that it was discovered here and the genetic code published in the UK first. Apparently, it is something we lead the world in. The variant is more infectious or contagious but less lethal and not to feel left out, South Africa has been found to have yet another mutation. It is what viruses do, mutate that is, even cold and flu viruses do which is one reason why we catch so many, our immune systems can't keep up with them and those viruses that kill their hosts are getting it wrong as they tend to minimise their opportunity to spread. So, anyone who fancies telling Ebola that it's an evolutionary throw-back, feel free to do so, but I don't think it'll be me.

Thankfully, David had done nearly all the food shopping while I had been busy with university business or trying to get presents for the family wondering if Simon and Sammi would be allowed to come home under the restrictions but much of London and South East England were all in the same tier, also lots of Wales and the Midlands were in similar lockdowns. No one is going to forget this Christmas in a hurry - and then we have Brexit, with Bungling Boris just managing to make a deal with the EU a day or so before Christmas. That it will mean we're all worse off than before the referendum, doesn't seem to have entered his mind, or what passes for one - so thanks, Boris, you berk (a Cockney term of endearment, rhyming with Berkshire Hunt).

On Christmas morning, that maniac cat who usually is found in the vicinity of Trish or food ran across my bed at about four o'clock and shot out down the landing after doing the same in the girl's room. Danni's door was shut, so she was the only one not to be woken by our mad moggie, who came back about twenty minutes later for a lap of honour. That it was the wee sma' 'oors when she carried out the attack, seemed unimportant, to said feline as far as I could work out my logic not helped by ailurogenic sleep-deprivation.

My little ones, Cate and Lizzie refused to go back to sleep so I had to get up and pretend how much I liked Christmas, about as much as Ebenezer Scrooge before the Christmas dreams. Actually, thinking about the dream of Christmas Past gave me a sense of being able to partly identify with it as many of my childhood Christmases were not happy ones because I was expected to enjoy them as a boy when I wasn't one and the doll I swapped a football for was confiscated by my Dad, though if you remember he returned it to me after my mother died. It's about the only thing I have that was mine from relatively early childhood which I still have and it's locked away in an old box I had some boots in because it's too precious for me to even give to my own children. I'd give them almost anything else I possess, except that doll and the baby-shoes and christening bracelet my mother bought convinced she was having a little girl. She did but didn't really recognise it until she was dying if she did then.

Rather than dwelling on Christmases past, I got the little ones some breakfast and let them open the things in their stockings, which are little items I have collected through the year for just this. At ten past five on Christmas morning, I finally managed to sit down with a cup of tea and a piece of toast feeling like death warmed up and that bloody cat curled up on my lap.

I had nodded off for an hour and then showered and dressed before starting to prepare vegetables for dinner so I wouldn't have to do them while the others were up and celebrating and it also meant less work for David who could use the time to make two or three different stuffings to eat with the turkey. I'm not that fond of turkey and keep threatening to get one of those multibird crowns for a change, but bearing in mind we have half a dozen adults or more plus myriad offspring, even a ten-kilo fowl lasts only one meal with perhaps sandwiches for another. Then you have the problem of cooking something verging on the size of a blessed ostrich and having an oven big enough to cook such an unfortunate avian. Trish had suggested instead of roasting such a big turkey, we should cassowary it. David nearly choked on his coffee that day.

By eight o'clock, David was in my kitchen preparing the turkey and a joint of silverside of beef plus a large boiling ham. Trish, who was now both awake and finishing her breakfast asked if all ecologists ate so much meat? I began to understand how Pinocchio felt like with Jiminy Cricket. Though in truth, I didn't eat that much meat preferring to be responsible for the extinction of tuna. Seriously, I would probably have two slices of each over Christmas and about the same number of mince pies if the others didn't get them first.

The girls got Simon up, once they'd lain in bed cuddling him for an hour or so and by the time he was downstairs Sammi and Stella were also down and pretty well everyone was there so we allowed the opening of presents. I don't think anything will ever compare to the year I had my op and Simon gave me the bike workshop set, which I still have, all clean and greased and in my bike shed. Sadly, I just don't have the time to play with it much these days. life is so fraught and busy.

Then a little after Julie and Phoebe arrived I got a text from Diane to tell me that one of my readers in Biology had succumbed to the virus and the reality of it came home with a crash. His son had called Diane because he knew her socially and she passed it on to me. I felt awful, here we all were gathered to stuff ourselves silly and a family just a mile or two away were in mourning.

Called Diane from my study and got the son's phone number and called him to express my condolences but there was nothing else I could do. When Simon found me I was in tears for my lost colleague and he mentioned, he was dreading hearing from Monica to say that Henry had died. "You will try and stop that happening, won't you?"

I nodded and felt more tears, Henry had been his own worst enemy throughout this illness and his refusal to make some changes to his lifestyle, which he agreed when he was very ill, had been ignored. I wasn't sure if I actually could help unless he helped himself first and time was running out. it looked as if we would never forget this Christmas.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
177 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

very poignant

Maddy Bell's picture

I need one of AG's truffles to fortify myself now.

keep safe

Mads


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

Easy To Forget

joannebarbarella's picture

The work that mothers have to put in for Christmas. The virus makes it even more exhausting.

I saw a placard at a demonstration against the excesses of a transatlantic political mate of his, which could equally be applied to the appalling Boris:

"I would call you a (Berkshire Hunt) but you have no warmth and no depth".

Henry

Robertlouis's picture

...is more than his own worst enemy. As another Long Covid victim - Month 10 began on Christmas Eve, deck the bloody halls - my experience is that the recurring symptoms are so severe and frequent that you simply can’t ignore them and carry on as normal. It’s physically impossible. I’m still having serious and lengthy breathlessness attacks after all this time and had a few days ventilation at the start of December yet again.

Give me his email address, Angharad, and I’ll give the silly bugger a damn good talking to!

Another great chapter, considering the strictures of Tier 4. We’re still in a tiny island of Tier 2 here in York, but I don’t think that will last.

The virus is real, folks, not a hoax. Stay safe and take no chances. It’s nearly killed me twice.

RL

☠️

Darlings

Darlings, it is a silly woman's right to read in bed on a Sunday morning with a cup of tea. Especially given the high emotional elements in today's episode.
That it is so well written, only increases the poignancy of the characters reactions.
Well done Angharad.
Love to all.
Anne G.

Wishing Cathy and All her friends a Happy 2021

Rhona McCloud's picture

For the second time I've come up-to-date with EAFOAB starting from the beginning and the journey confirms the value of familiar friends. While songs are written about falling in love and heartbreak this time of isolation highlights how important and uplifting our more casual meetings with others are. Where a lover or relative is likely to fail when they try to change our ideas or behaviour a workmate, fellow bus travel or even familiar fictional character can open our eyes by example. Thank you Angharad

Rhona McCloud

Personally I love Christmas,

for me it is all about family (which Kathy has in abundance).

And so another

Christmas passes by, One i imagine most of us will not remember with any great fondness, In many cases throughout the world it will have been observed with a family member being sadly missed , Heartache for many who will regret the day covid made its first appearance in the world,.

You do realise given Simon's words that he fears his father may yet join that all too long list, Henry may be one of the richest men in the country but the virus is no respecter of money, Henry may yet have a chance to avoid the grim reaper but the clock is ticking slowly down for him, Maybe what he needs is a visit from Scrooges ghosts .... Especially Christmas future!

Kirri

Wonderful

Robertlouis's picture

Chapter between mother and daughter.

I’m a straight bloke, trans-friendly, and a staunch trans ally of many years standing. The writing in this chapter had me in tears. Just beautifully sensitive.

Thanks Angharad. ❤️

☠️

Henry

Julia Miller's picture

Will Henry agree to reform his ways? Or will he succumb to the effects of Covid? Cathy doesn't yet know either, but she fears it will be Henry's last Christmas with the family. If Henry goes it will mean Simon will take over the bank, and Cathy will see even less of him than before. Let's hope Henry makes a quality decision and makes High Street the Greenest bank in the world.