Easy As Falling Off a Bike pt 3027

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 3027
by Angharad

Copyright© 2016 Angharad

  
007b_0_0.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
*****

The children were all in bed and Stephanie and I were indulging in a glass or two of a rather fine Rioja. I was cogitating on the conversation I’d had with Trish earlier because it worried me for two reasons. The first should be obvious by now—I just don’t believe all this goddess stuff—the universe is all run on mathematics; which is probably why I don’t understand it but I watch Brian Cox on telly every now and again and he says it’s so, so who am I to disagree? The second, is simply that by not being a bio-female, how can the essence be that strong in me? None of it makes sense, but it never did and is one of the reasons I’m a scientist but apparently I deal in soft science—ha ha. Yeah it’s really soft at two in the morning because you’re studying a bat colony and all those self respecting, big brained physicists and mathematicians are wrapped up in bed making love to their calculators—scientific variety of course—and I’m freezing my arse off.

When did Einstein ever risk his neck climbing trees for science? Yeah right, so don’t tell me biology is soft science just because we get to play with cuddly furry things, you’re just jealous.

“A penny for them,” said Stephanie.

“Eh?” I’m so articulate when interrupted in my cogitations.

“I’ve been watching you for several minutes. You’re obviously having an internal dialogue of some sort by the faces you’re pulling. If you want to share I’m happy to listen.”

“I’m not one of your patients, Steph, for which you’re probably very grateful.”

She chuckled. “No you aren’t one of my patients you’re one of my friends and therefore valuable to me.”

“Thank you.”

“You’re welcome, so what’s concerning you?”
“You really want to know?”

“I don’t want to see you looking fraught.”

“When I tell you, you’ll probably think I’m barking—more than usual.”

“Why don’t you let me be the judge of that?”

“Okay, be it upon your own head...” I then told her what was worrying me.

She sat quietly for a few moments before saying anything. “So you’re worried because this thing keeps contacting you, tells you she’s a goddess and that you’re special because the female essence is so strong in you. It disturbs your map of the universe and overturns your view of yourself and all your flaws. Is that about right.”

“I suppose it is, so you were listening.”

“Look here, Lady Muck, I’m a professional, so of course I was listening.”

“So where was the snoring coming from?”

“What snoring?”

“I thought you were listening?”

“I am and I can’t hear anything.”

“Only special people can hear it, along with the voices...”

“Cathy, stop being silly.”

“But it’s my normal state...”

“I thought that was torpor.”

“When I’m not being torpid.”

“Look, getting defensive or trying to act the fool isn’t helping things.”

“How can you help reconcile irreconcilable things?”

“What if they’re not irreconcilable?”

“What if they are?”

“Okay, if they are irreconcilable, you simply have to find a way in which you can live with both parts without them interposing in your everyday life.”

“Which I thought I was doing.”

“So why was it troubling you so much then?”

“Who says it was?”

“I did.”

“So why d’you think they’re reconcilable?”

“Because they are.”

“I’m waiting...”

“Fine. What you told me both related to beliefs. You don’t believe in fairy stories however well intended they are and you don’t believe you’re female, no matter how often people tell you that you are.

“You told me that so far you’ve coped with the goddess stuff by telling yourself that it’s your higher self forcing you to confront issues by making them appear to be manifest. You’ve also tied this into the second part of your belief that because you were identified as a boy when born, you can’t really be female and that’s confirmed because you can’t have children.

“You may well be right about the goddess thing, she may just be a part of your mind which gets your attention by appearing to be real. That’s fine, you’re integrating what you experience in a way which is suitable and acceptable to you. However, the blue energy thing is something else and I can’t explain it other than you appear to have some special ability to organise electromagnetic energies within the tissues to heal things. Healers have been saying that since the Stone Age, neither they nor anyone since understands quite how it works, if indeed it actually does. But it does work and how or why is unimportant, it does and as long as it does providing you appear to be using it positively, does it matter?

“As for being or not being female—I can see why you feel you have an issue but it’s one which has been resolved some while ago and enabled you to become legally female and even marry as one. You have a dozen kids who see you as their mother, even the big ones. If they don’t have a problem, I’m not sure why you should. You fulfil the role beautifully and as a role model for any aspiring mother.”

“So that’s where the problem actually lies, between my stupid ears.”

“Just as well because that’s what I’m licensed to treat.”

“But I’m not a patient of yours, am I?”

“No, you’re a friend, possibly my best one at present, so that makes you more important.”

“That does my ego a power of good.”

“Does it now? So how come I see you have problems of self esteem?”

“Who me? Ego the size of Australia.”

“Sure, so why can’t you accept you’re a very attractive woman with loads of lovely children who love her dearly, and a husband who dotes on her?”

I shrugged. “I thought self esteem issues afflicted loads of modern women,” I said trying to deflect her probing.

“When you were a girl, how did you feel about yourself then?”

“I didn’t. My parents discouraged any sort of pride.”

“Even though you were quite a talented and pretty young woman.”

“But I wasn’t was I? I was a boy.”

“Cathy, you can’t have been a boy, even though you dressed as one. I also saw the pictures of Lady Macbeth, you were quite pretty—must have driven your dad nuts.”

“It gave him a stroke.”

“You sure you’re not Catholic—you sure do guilt like one.”

“No, but let’s face it my mother died just after I started to transition and then within months he has a bad stroke.”

“Perhaps all that hatred of the real you brought it on.”

“Be ironic if it had.”

“Cathy, this is real life, ironies abound here. His anger and hatred brought about his own demise like a cancer inside him, except instead of blocking a vital organ, it blocked a blood vessel to his brain.”

“When you say it like that, it seems quite plausible.”

“Cathy, I’ve seen quite a few gender dysphorics as adults before I concentrated on children. None were anything like as female as you.”

“Perhaps being AIS helped that illusion.”

“It’s got nothing to do with physique or even your female body shape. It’s to do with who you are and what you are. You are essentially female, it’s not something you’ve become, it’s who and what you are. Your goddess is quite right, the female essence in you is so strong it’s almost palpable.”

“Like playing with bikes or kick boxing, very female.”

“Cathy, you’re not listening. You are still female whatever you do and because of that the girls you are raising are also very female. It isn’t the same as feminine. You could be a man and be feminine. You can do feminine but you can also do tomboy, playing with bikes and so forth. But you still come across as female. So think on that, I’m off to my bed. Night.” With that she rose from her seat and went towards her bedroom.

>05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
258 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I think it's time for Billie

littlerocksilver's picture

.. to have a good talk with her. Maybe she and Trish can talk some sense into her. Excellent dialog.

Portia

Finding peace.

Perhaps the older we get, the more we come to a peace with how things are. I have been twigged as Two Spirit or something similar by Native Americans who I'd never met. Do they have some uncommon sensitivity?

As to belief systems, most religion has more holes in it than a sieve, so perhaps it is holy? I've chosen to take the elements that I like from various belief systems; liking and often wearing my Hijab and showing lots of modesty. I like the taking of the bread and wine on Sunday. The "Hail Mary" prayer is pretty. The Muslim Prayer ritual inspires me. Still, I am fascinated with planetary dynamics and dream of the day when we take to the stars, but know full well that we are very likely to destroy ourselves and return to the muck before we do.

In as much as I can, I don't struggle with things I can't change. It hurts me when others make rude comments about my own beliefs, yet they often expect me to endorse or at least respect theirs. All this has taught me to be contemplative, quiet and passive aggressive. For those who aggressively insist they are Atheists, it is not my problem. We'll all find out soon enough, especially if Trump gets elected.

Gwen

I also remember the pseudo

I also remember the pseudo female nursing two babies.
Phew! Cathy is in one of her self examination moods. Good thing she's talking to a shrink.
The Goddess works in mysterious ways, and has unusual instruments.

Karen

For someone who

we know to be very intelligent, Cathy sometimes comes across as being quite thick, Put another way if a mechanic tells you what's wrong with your car you generally accept what they say ,After all they are the specialist and you for all your brains clearly are not... Cathy needs to lister and try to understand what she was told tonight ,After all (using the car analogy again)if you don't listen to the mechanic the problem will not go away ,Over time it will get worse ,Surely Cathy owes it to all those who love her to take heed of Stephanie's well meant words ....

Kirri

A Great episode

I loved the dialogue between Cathy and Stephanie. This was a great explanation on reconciling the irreconcilable. Then again I could just have not understood the premise in the first place.

I will refrain from saying great writing, just for this week. Haha

Love to all

Anne G.

It looks like it is time for

It looks like it is time for Cathy to start actually listening to others rather than spending her time mentally berating and beating herself to death like she seems to do all the time.