Easy As Falling Off a Bike pt 3057

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 3057
by Angharad

Copyright© 2016 Angharad

  
007b_0_0.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
*****

On the Friday evening, the girls, who were now on half term holiday, were like bottles of pop and I was not in the most patient of moods having had a disagreement with Mr Hancock about the films he was about to make for us. At one point he swore at me and told him I’d find someone else and put the phone down. An hour later he called back to apologise, it took Diane a few minutes to persuade me to take the call. At the moment we’re still negotiating the structure and format of the films and beyond that, costs. I found it stressful and with one or two other things that happened, felt less than tolerant of anyone who annoyed me.

To their credit, the girls were trying to avoid setting me off, especially after Danielle picked up on my mood within seconds of being in the car with me and by confirming her suspicions by asking me if I’d had a good day, the others realised that adopting a low profile was conducive to a longer survival rate, despite their natural excitement of their week off.

I had hoped to take the afternoons off to do things with them, and also as one of my mornings included a dormouse survey, wondered if the older ones wanted to come with me. I expected Danielle to volunteer and possibly Trish, which would leave fewer to be supervised by the childminder I had engaged for the mornings. She’s an out of work teacher, so hopefully will pose them some challenges in a physical and cognitive sense. I did warn her about Trish and Livvie being exceptional students, so she has been warned.

Of course, something which didn’t exactly add to feeling calm was expecting Simon home. We hadn’t actually spoken since the end of the director’s meeting, which possibly showed we both needed a good shake. I had decided that we’d both be tired, so it would be better to talk about it in the morning. I was therefore proposing a truce.

David was doing fish and chips for dinner, the only problem being that he’d precooked the chips and I had to flash fry them again prior to dishing up. That was no big deal, I’ve done it before but I don’t like cooking with very hot fat, which you need for decent chips, so it didn’t add to my good temper even though I’d known about it for a few days when we agreed the menu. I could have changed it, but everyone else loves fish and chips, so who am I to stand in the way of their furry arteries and fatty liver disease?

I fed the younger children, Simon having texted that he and Sammi were held up by a problem with the train and it was running half an hour late. By the time they got home, it was an hour late and the older family members were grumbling about rumbling tummies. So I did another lot of chips and fed them. This effectively meant that only Sammi, Stella, Simon and I were sitting down to eat the last of the food. Sammi rang from the station that they were on their way and I put the last of the chips and peas on to warm through.

Just by looking at him when he came in, I could see he’d had a day like mine. However, he did give me new orchid to replace the one Bramble knocked off the kitchen windowsill while she was engaged in a game of impersonating a flycatcher. I thanked him and pecked him on the cheek and quietly suggested my truce. He nodded an agreement and I served dinner with a glass of Chablis—it helped to take the edge off both our moods.

Sammi cleared the table while Stella disappeared to make coffees and I wondered if they’d been taking lessons on discretion, Stella especially, but she knew of our disagreement earlier and I suppose offered us a few minutes space together. That made Simon smile because she’s usually one who jumps in at the deep end and wades all over him in any dispute with me. Perhaps she’s growing up, or possibly Tom, who’d eaten with the girls, had dropped a hint in her lughole.

The evening was calmer and more enjoyable than I’d anticipated and Simon handed me an envelope to read in the morning. For a moment I felt myself go quite dizzy fearing it might be the beginnings of separation or something, but he said not to worry about it, it was nothing bad. I still felt sick when we went to bed and finally was as soon as I lay down—I only just made it to the loo in time. Simon came in afterwards to check on me.

“Are you all right?” he asked.

“I think I will be now.”

“What brought this on?”

“Nothing,” I said rising from my knees to rinse out my mouth.

“You went a funny colour when I handed you the envelope—that’s it, isn’t it?”

I couldn’t look him in the face, even in the mirror. With that he disappeared. I wondered where he’d gone and as I returned to the bedroom he entered with the envelope in his hand. “I wanted it to be a surprise but you’d better look at it now if it worries you that much.”

“I can wait until the morning.”

“Here,” he tore open the envelope and drew out the contents handing a sheaf of papers to me. I took them and sat on the bed. It took me about twenty minutes to read them quickly.

“Thank you,” I said and pecked him on the cheek.

“I’d have offered the contract to Portsmouth but when I spoke to the guy from East Anglia, he suggested Cornell would be the best to organise it. I hope you’re not angry? It was done with the best of intentions.”

“If you asked them to do a dormouse survey, I’d probably kill you but as this is an assessment of the environmental damage in the Amazon from hydroelectric damming, it’s outside my usual sphere of interest, though I probably could have organised it. How much is it costing?”

“Half a million dollars in the first instance.”

“Thank you, for that you should get a very good survey.”

“We better had or the Brazilian government will be chasing them through the courts.”

“I see on whose advice?”

“Our Director of Ecological Issues, who else?”

“This will be the one who replaces me, will it?”

“Ut uh, it’s a job for life according to Henry.”

“His or mine?”

“C’mon, this was supposed to be a good thing, not the cause of death of my father, he voted for you, remember?”

“I do remember. So he’s the one who changed your mind, is he?” I felt less happy about the survey.

“Uh no, I thought about what you’d said and read the paper again, spoke to Dad and between us we spoke to the Brazilian representatives agreeing in principle the loan if they were prepared to commission an ecological survey to look at the damage caused by the dams but by a third party agency. They agreed to Cornell doing it as Cambridge were going to be too expensive. That’s why I’ve stayed up in town, because the bloody Yanks keep such stupid office hours.”

“I think that’s something to do with time zones.”

“No, they’re just bloody perverse, ever since we gave them independence—all those puritans we dumped out there.”

“I think they asserted rather than we gave them independence.”

“We let them think that—or they’d be asking us to run the place again and this bloody shower couldn’t run a bath let alone North America or stupid Brexit.”

“Si, let’s go to bed, I don’t want you up half the night with indigestion because of the incompetence of the UK government.”

“Just look at exchange rates, they’re through the floor and still falling...”

“Si, can you do something for me?”

“What?”

“Shut up and kiss me...”

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
258 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Very nice

Well, they didn't work it out as fast as would satisfy me, but at least the ruction is over. Of course I have no right to comment on the resolving of marital conflict, considering my own dismal record.

Gwen

As an American I took it in

As an American I took it in good humor. I think the Yanks and Brits have a solid long-standing relationship (since that burning Washington unpleasantness) that includes room for quite a bit of kidding back and forth. Much like brothers and sisters are wont to do. We are as they say, two peoples separated by a common language.

Kris

{I leave a trail of Kudos as I browse the site. Be careful where you step!}

Reality Bites

I've lived in Western Europe on and off a number of times, even though I haven't lived in the UK, and I figure I have a sort of perspective on the situation.

The U.S. doesn't rank high in other countries' eyes I'm afraid. Part of that is our problem. While they are used to having and interacting with people in other countries a majority of the U.S. isn't. So the Americans they are exposed to are not the ones we would choose to be informal ambassadors for us. Sad but true.

Then the English have always had a paternal attitude towards the U.S. While they have a certain "claim" due to the original colonies being English, they do conveniently forgot that most of the U.S. was never under British control. If anything, the Spanish/hispanic people along with the French have at one time controlled more of the land in the continental U.S. than the British. It is an attitude that grates on me from time to time. Particularly now with the upcoming elections, the British media is filled with advice and criticism for us. I want to point out to them that we do quite nicely not sticking our noses in their affairs and we wish they'd stay out of ours.

As for the term "yank" it is unfortunate situation, but that term has become embedded in their lexicon. I doubt there is much we can do to change it. I once worked with a scotsman who kept referring to me as a yank, a high insult as I was born and raised in the great state of Oklahoma. So I started referring to him as being British, calling him a limey, etc. He blew up after a few days and told me "I'm not a bloody brit, I'm a Scotsman!". I replied "And I'm not a yank!!!" Dawn the light of day!


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Sounded Very Familiar

Daphne Xu's picture

Your anecdote in the last paragraph sounded very familiar. Did you, by any chance, tell it here once before?

-- Daphne Xu

Quite Possible

Memory is the first thing to go when you get old. There is a something else but I forget what it is. ;-) It is a favorite story of mine, for the most part I really enjoyed all the different people I met while living there. (Had a bad experience with a French cab driver, but what else is new?) I did a bit of traveling along the east coast of the U.K. and as usual I found if you are nice and polite to people they will be nice to you. London has always been one of my favorite cities and I never did explore it as much as I wished.

But in the oil industry you meet all kinds of people, not always the most polished. Comes with the territory. But many of them I wish I could see one more time and hoist a pint. Ricky, the Scotsman, was a really great guy. We actually got him and Moe the Liverpool crane operator over to the U.S. They flew in to Houston and were met by the safety officer. He starts rattling off where they were going to go, up to Dallas - several hundred miles. Do the sights then a quick trip up to see me, another 260 miles. The were like Woah, we only have two weeks. The Interstate system and how fast and easy it was to get from point A to point B blew them away.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

a good example

Maddy Bell's picture

Of reinforcing stereotypes


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

This is better

I would be more worried about Ang if Simon was not throwing barbs at us. This is from the west side of the pond. Keep it up, Ang. It keeps us on our toes.

Really, I don't think either government could run an accurate and unbiased survey of dams let alone dormice.

Much Love,

Valerie R

Tough talk from someone living

Tough talk from someone living on Eisenhower's aircraft carrier. You should hear the remarks from people on MacArthur's submarine base. It's Pure jealousy Ef, pure jealousy !

Karen

Just member...

The Brits made fun us amricans by coming up with the song Yankee Doodle dandy. The patriots owned that song, started to sing it themselves, and "took a little bacon n' took a little beans, n' cooked us up some British in the town of new Orleans....!"
So all y'all Brits can call us "yanks" all you want. But we still sent y'all packing twice, first time the American revolution, And the second time was 1812.

Um...

Actually we got owned on 1812, like they could have taken over if they wanted, they didn't though. Like they even lit the whitehouse on fire that's how owned we got.

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Transgender, Gamer, Little, Princess, Therian and proud :D

There is nothing

more that we Brits enjoy than poking fun at other nations , I doubt though we are alone in that. Take for example the French they love nothing more that making fun of their neighbours , Travel further afield and even a country like Australia who we regard as one of our friends love nothing more that having a joke at our expense , Fact is we all think our country is the best and will quite often poke fun at other nations. I suppose you could call it the reality of life .... Its also fair to say that few jokes rarely cause anything more than a few laughs , Its never normally more serious than that ....

Kirri

Hooray, at least they are

Hooray, at least they are speaking to each other and not at each others throats. Simon and Cathy are truly good for each other, even with their various "getting on each others nerves" episodes.

ah!

Harmony again - Cathy should realize that he really is "simple Simon" and she holds all the cards

Why did Simon suggest

that Cathy wait till morning to read the document? I don't understand that but I'm sure he had no idea how or why it would upset Cathy.

Chips

Best Chips ever curtsey om Master Chef Australia
Peel and cut your chips in to even sizes
boil in water 10 min drain
put on a tray a stick in fridge for 4 or 5 hours to get a crust on chips
heat Peanut oil up to 140 degrees, cook chips until gold brown, dry on paper towel.
Eat
best tasting chips ever

Dave

140 Deg C?

Interesting technique. Will have to try it. Assume 140 Degrees is centigrade?

Chips

Yes Centigrade

Dave

A great episode

I loved the way you poked fun at Simon by highlighting his tendency to get carried away on a subject. Something we have read many times in the past.

When it comes to calling each other names I was glad to read recently, that being called a 'pommy git' is not racist or derogatory. Well, according to the New Zealand broadcasting authority anyway. As the Millwall football fans are used to singing, 'Everyone hates us and we don't care' . We do enjoy ' winding up ' our friends, it's part of who we are.

I am still loving the story Ang.

Love to all
Anne G.