Three Girls - Chapter 13

Printer-friendly version

Three Girls

Book Three
Chapter Thirteen

Danni's Dream - Une Brá¨ve Prélude

by Andrea Lena DiMaggio


 



Three girls find they have a lot more in common than their music...
danni's dream - the dawn awakens my soul no longer the same now new my heart sings


Scottsdale, Arizona...

The soft strains of Faure’s Pavane came softly out the window, wafting almost as if on a breeze as it made its way across the street and throughout the neighborhood. As tender and sweet as it was, it remained a sad piece. Faure’ had meant it as a slow mournful dance; perhaps with much more hope than the player had imagined, but then she had just lost her mother to the ravages of cancer.

“Are you ready? For Christ’s sake, Cam…it’s almost nine and we were supposed to be at the funeral home at eight-thirty…don’t you have any respect for her?” The voice was as harsh as a cold gale against her skin; leaving her shivering even as she finished playing. The song was for her mother…why couldn’t he understand?

“Damn it, Cam…If you’re not in the car in five minutes, I’m leaving without you!” The voice called out once again, even angrier, if that was possible. The girl laid the violin down and choked back a sob before walking slowly down the hall to the front of the house where her older brother waited.

“It’s about time…come on…” He relented. His face was a mask of grief. The two of them had lost their father only months before to an auto accident; and even if they had been prepared for their mother’s passing, it still hurt beyond what words could say. He gasped once and smiled at his kid brother.

“Look, Cam…I’m sorry…I feel like I have to be everything right now…I don’t even know where Daddy kept the insurance policy. Aunt Rose is coming over with Ken to help us look for the papers. The insurance company said they’d mail us a copy and they faxed some papers to the funeral people, but I don’t know where everything else is…and …and…” He put his hand to his face and began to weep. Cam walked over and placed his hand on his brother’s shoulder and pulled him close, embracing him tightly.

“We’re going to get through this…” He sobbed even as his brother wept along with him. Trevor looked up and smiled through the tears, saying softly,

“You’re the best brother a guy could ever have…and the best son…okay…one of two ‘best’ sons, that Mommy and Daddy had…..I love you, bro.” He pulled Cam closer and kissed him on the cheek; a manly kiss…brother to brother. Cam buried his face in Trevor’s shoulder and began to sob. Mostly from grief over the loss of their parents, but also because he wanted so badly for his brother to know who he really was…the secret he had kept for so long…that Trevor didn’t really have a kid brother. He never had a kid brother, in fact, but the nicest sister a brother could ever have and the sweetest daughter her parents never knew…

And Danni wept…


Later that day...

“Cam…honey…” The girl stood at the end of the receiving line at the back of the church. He looked up and saw his best friend with her arms out.

“Hi…Emily.” Cam’s face grew red as he took note of Emily’s welcoming smile. He immediately felt guilty; an exercise that he practiced nearly on a daily basis, feeling that he had no right to be attracted to any one, least wise at his mother’s funeral. But he needed Emily, and truth be told, she needed him as well.

“I’m so sorry…” She sobbed as she pulled him closer for a hug. She didn’t mean to, but her hand got caught in his hair, which had grown past his collar.

“Oh..Cam…I’m so sorry.” The two had spent the last year running and dancing in the “I shouldn’t be happy because other folks are hurting marathon”; tripping over each others excuses not to get involved. And of course, Cam had his other self, whom he withheld from Emily, needlessly fearing rejection. Thankfully, the dance was coming to an end, and the music was about to change keys and tempo.

“Cam…I know you meant well….not telling them.” She shook her head as tears began to fall.

“But they never got to know her…oh…they knew her, alright, but you know what I mean.”

“No…don’t…” Cam turned away and bit his lip; she was right, and it hurt beyond measure, since there was no recall for well-intended but ill-conceived decisions.

“They’ll never get to know how beautiful you are…how precious…how wonderful.” It was special and dear and painful all rolled into one.

“Stop…please Em…please, stop.” He protested even as she stepped closer and embraced him…her…

“No…you have to tell your brother…he’ll understand…he loves you.” It was as if the one in her arms was transforming even as she spoke; the soft beauty of her girlfriend seemed to come alive even while the artificial steel of her boyfriend melted away like wax.

“Danni…tell him. Let him decide if he still loves you…be fair to yourself; don’t let another moment slip away. They know now…” She paused and looked up.

“Let him have what they didn’t. And don’t feel too bad, honey…okay…let’s live, you and me…okay?”

“Okay,” Danni nodded. Cameron nodded as well, even as he retreated into the safety and welcome of his true self; still a part of whom she was.


The next morning...

The girl, for that is who she was, played the piece once again, this time with no urgency or demand; she had time. The sun rose in the sky and in her soul while she played the piece for the first time as herself; no longer encumbered by expectations or guilt or shame. She played to an audience of one as her girlfriend sat on the chair on the patio, weeping softly. Oh, the music was just as moving as ever; as sweet and tender and sad and hopeful as ever, but it wasn’t so much in the playing that the emotion arose this time; it was in the player. The girl stood, her legs spread slightly apart as she moved to the music. Her eyes closed in wondrous thought as the notes came quickly. The psalmist's words came to her;

for the sake of the one you love so much,
reach down and help me–answer me!

Danielle Cameron Davies was playing for the first time and it felt great!

Next: Dinner and Dvorak


Pavane
composed by Gabriel Faure'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpgyTl8yqbw

Scripture taken from
Psalm 108 - The Message

up
73 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Three Girls - Chapter 13

Waiting to see Danni with her brother.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Be fair to yourself

“Danni…tell him. Let him decide if he still loves you…be fair to yourself; don’t let another moment slip away. They know now…” She paused and looked up.

“Let him have what they didn’t. "

And yet it isn't easy to take that leap, as both you and I know. Brava!

"Treat everyone you meet as though they had a sign on them that said "Fragile, under construction"

dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

'Drea, You Test Me

littlerocksilver's picture

Dearest 'Drea,

You love to test me, to make me think: What did I miss? Why don't I get it? However, it was there all along. Of course her brother knew. Of course he didn't know how to handle it. Too few, especially young men sure of their gender and sex do. It was a horrible thing for them to go through what they did; however, they both learned quite a bit. The brother and sister will always have each other and many others. Danni's love will be there forever.

Portia

Portia

Thank you Portia,

ALISON

'my early morning brain was not working !! And thank you,'Drea,as always.

ALISON