We Are Magic

Printer-friendly version


We Are Magic

by Andrea Lena DiMaggio


Bernardsville, New Jersey...

The old LP spun around lazily on the 'vintage' turntable. It hissed and popped only a bit, owing to the near reverance the girl had given it because of the music it held. Kay sat at her desk in a barely illuminated bedroom; dim but for the glow of her laptop. She stared almost wistfully at the blank page of the newest story.. Unlike any regular entry, she hoped her effort would be only a tad self-revelatory and sentimental. She had been crying all day, and only just then fealt able to write. As she went to type, she sensed something behind and to the right of her, but the feeling seemed to dissipate as easily as it had arrived.

Come take my hand
You should know me
I've always been in your mind
You know I will be kind
I'll be guiding you

She sighed; feeling almost lost and alone despite recent successes. She gazed again at her beginning words. A girl saddened by loss yet heartened over the one who she had lost. She could only wish she was as brave. Her sigh was echoed by the sound of a gasp, but she felt gladdened somehow. The ‘presence’ she had felt only moments before made itself…rather herself known as her muse emerged from the shadows.

“I’m here for you,” the woman said even as she placed a steadying hand on Kay’s shoulder; evoking a wince.

“I’m sorry, but I must go. But every bit of what I leave behind is for you, sweet child.” Kay smiled weakly; both unable to plead against the woman’s words but almost happily acknowledging the truth behind them. She felt the woman enfold her from behind in a hug not unlike those she received from her mother.

Building your dream has to start now
There's no other road to take
You won't make a mistake
I'll be guiding you
You have to believe we are magic

“Kenny?” she heard Maeve call from the hallway.

“Sweetie. You’re going to wear that record out.” She…rather he turned to find his mom standing in the doorway. It would almost have called for an explanation as to why he was being hugged by an ethereal being, but when he turned back, his muse was nowhere to be seen.

“I…I’m sorry, Mommy,” Kenny said, looking down at himself. He was clad in a medium length dress akin to the clothes his hero was wearing in the movie. Maeve walked slowly to her son, but instead of a rebuke, she duplicated the hug his muse had bestowed only moments before.

Nothin' can stand in our way
You have to believe we are magic
Don't let your aim ever stray
And if all your hopes survive
Destiny will arrive
I'll bring all your dreams alive
For you
I'll bring all your dreams alive
For you

“Sweetie? I know you’ve been almost hiding from Daddy the past few days. He’s working his second job at Memorial, so he won’t be home until after lunch.” Kenny sighed, but quickly lapsed into small gasps and sobs.

“I got a copy out of the County library. Let’s have a nice night together.” Maeve held the DVD out for inspection and Kenny breathed only briefly a sigh of relief before he fell into his mother’s arms, weeping.

From where I stand, you are home free
The planets align so rare
There's promise in the air
And I'm guiding you
Through every turn I'll be near you
I'll come anytime you call
I'll catch you when you fall
I'll be guiding you



A short while later, the two were sitting on the sofa in the livingroom. Popcorn and cocoa were barely touched, and the movie was paused.

“Daddy loves you, honey. He’s just…”

“I know. Mommy. It’s just…”Kenny stated at the paused image on the screen.

“He…He doesn’t understand. I’ve read only a bit of what you write, and I do understand a bit. It’s almost like what I don’t get…it just doesn’t matter.”

“What?” Kenny looked down at himself again.

“No…it matters…you matter. What I haven’t understood will work itself out because I love you!” Maeve pulled Kenny close and kissed him on the forehead. They both sensed another presence but it was not ethereal but entirely real.

“I love you, too,” Kenny Sr. said from the archway leading from the kitchen. Kenny scrambled to grab the comforter to his side to cover up, but something in his father’s voice seemed to calm him even as Maeve rubbed his arm in comfort.

“I begged off my other job, and they somehow had over booked the shift anyway.”

“Where did you go?”

“I’ve been over at the park, sitting in the car.” Maeve went to continue but Senior held his hand up.

“On my way over to Memorial, the radio guy said that… I know how much she meant to you.” He sighed; not so much embarrassed at his own emotion as shame over its late arrival.

“When I was your age, I had a crush on her. There was an innocence that came out even in some of her more… you know.” Maeve’s eyes widened. Kenny Senior was about a vulnerable as she’d ever seen him.

“But what really got me is when the guy on the radio talked about all the work she did on behalf of…you know?” He gasped, but continued.

When your Nana died…my Mom? She felt that… Her cancer? Well that your hero was so much more than a singer. My mom felt there somebody actually knew what she went through. Two of your aunts and a cousin…” Maeve began to sob at the memory of her own sister. Kenny paused long enough to kiss Maeve on the forehead, but there seemed to be another urgency.

“I had my tablet with me, so I visited that website you thought I didn’t know about. And I read a few things that made me realize pretty much why you…my son idolized her. That you didn’t want to be like her even though you’re a boy. You already are like her because of your heart…the stories that you tell. You’ve been a girl all this time.”

Kenny Senior squeezed Maeve’s hand before lifting Kenny Junior to his feet for the last time and held his daughter; not for the first time, but rather for the first moment of realization that he and Maeve had a daughter all along.

And in the midst of it all stood a woman who for one last time in many saw hope restored. And with grateful tears and a wistful smile, simply faded away.

And if all your hopes survive
Destiny will arrive
I'll bring all your dreams alive
For you
I'll bring all your dreams alive
For you




In loving admiration and memory
of Olivia Newton John
26 September 1948 – 8 August 2022




Magic
from the Motion Picture Xanadu
Words and music by
John Farrar
as performed by
Miss Olivia Newton John

up
70 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A Bad Week

joannebarbarella's picture

For lovely singers. Olivia Newton-John is definitely the best known, but Judith Durham of The Seekers also passed away. Two girls that the world can ill do without, but in the end it comes to all of us.

R.I.P. two lovely ladies who made our lives better.

The lightbulb appearing over Dad's head

laika's picture

A beautiful moment, and the beginning of his real relationship with the daughter he'd always had. An understanding that sadly, some parents are never capable of coming to, especially with the disinformation about trans people being blasted from various bully pulpits in recent years. It was a good thing her daddy was sitting in his car reading her stories at that website (did it have ads on it's pretty purple-hued front page for The Breast Form Store? I'll bet that made him uncomfortable...) with an open mind and a loving heart, and not listening to or watching videos by Matt Walsh, Steven Crowder, Prager U., Hillsdale College, Fucker Carlson, ad nauseum...
~Love you! Ronni

.
I knew a girl in Hollywood back in the day who's punker name
was Olivia Neutron-Bomb. But that's a story for another time...

Hmmm...

Most of us leave nothing behind. But a truly blessed few leave a body of work that is eternal. I loved her in 'Grease'. Thanks Drea...

Just Another Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrat

PKB_003b.jpg