It's Still The Arts!

Printer-friendly version


Roland and DiMaggio Present...



It's Still The Arts


Just a bit of fun to take the edge off a really crappy week, yes?



 

Art from the Pre-Rachaelite Period seemed to mirror the frivolity and painfully carefree attitude of the transgender community of the late nineteenth to early twentieth century... We'll be looking at some examples of those paintings that exemplify that nearly nonchalant mood.

 

First up -
Surprise Wedding by Ariana Hughes

Ms. Hughes' little brother Mikey was the model for this painting; the happy bride learned that the tables had indeed been turned. Mikey's expression is almost wistful, indicated that he didn't mind at all.

* * *
Next -
All Girl Band by Danielle Rosetti

Dani actually is depicted as the lute player on the right. She mentioned in her autobiography, "Here We Go Again," that her best friend and fellow artist Jean D'Arte had convinced her, quite erroneously, that the other girls in the band would agree to go out if they 'dressed up,' since the other members of the band only dated girls. Jean didn't mind at all.

* * *
Another brilliant painter, Jeanette Millais, gives us this exquisite portrait,
But You Promised!!!

Mrs. Millais had indeed promised her son Willie that she would increase his allowance by half again if he posed for this portrait. What she didn't tell him is that she would pay him in lingerie and hose. Two years later he was modeling gowns in Paris.

* * *
Our next artist you know from last week's program. Jean D'Arte was fond of painting friends and acquaintances.
"Damn...They're Home!"

The subject is Pasquale (Patsy) Calabrese, the younger brother of Jean's best friend, Lenny Calabrese. Patsy was the object of teasing by the entire Calabrese family; they had returned from a visit to Grandpa Calabrese only to find Patsy dressed in his sister Sophie's clothes.

* * *
And here is a wonderful example of Pre-Rachaelite art...
Two Weeks

by Jamie Collinson

The three girls in the picture have been attending an all-girl's school as punishment for teasing their sister, so the story goes. Two weeks had been the limit, but they kept violating the lights out rule, and their 'punishment' was extended to the end of the term. Miss Collison wrote in her diary that she had discovered after the painting was finished that the boys, three brothers in fact, had actually violated the rule on purpose.

* * *
Here we have another artist, Winnie Hunt -
Ms. Hunt gives us this fine painting, Dear Ronnie, Wish You Were Here

The painting is one of an obscure transgender author, Andrea Lomonica, who was in correspondence with another author, Veronica Ignazia, regarding mermaids, of all things!

* * *
Here we have another brilliant portrait by Jeanette Millais...
Betcha Can't Tell

Ms. Millais' twin cousins, Claudette and Charles, enjoyed dressing up in the same clothes and defying family members to tell them apart. Ms. Millais would confess years later that she never noticed that they always seemed to dress in Claudette's clothing. Claudette ended up living with a very attractive corsetiere from Lyons. Charles went on to star in silent pictures as Minnie Millais, Jeune Fille Enquáªteur (Girl Detective)

* * *
And here we have another Danielle Rosetti painting...
Tro(m)pe-l'Å“il

Here we have another personal friend of the artist, Marcello Calcaveccia and his twin brothers, Paolo and Giuseppe, who have agree to help their mother with a fashion show when her models failed to show up for the presentation. Marcello can be seen with an expression of frustration as his mother revealed to the three of them that she never really hired any models in the first place. Notice that almost wistful expression on Paolo (center); he admitted later that he knew his mother's plans and was completely delighted!

* * *
Here we have a fine example of the Neo-Rachaelite style made popular once again by Jennifer Brock...
Un Miroir Redux

The model is our own Kristine Roland, and Ms. Brock has captured both the beauty of the model and the mystery of the story.

* * *
And finally, we have another fine painting by Danielle Rosetti -
Il Riluttante Contessa

This portrait is that of Christina d' Bruno, the main character in Melania d' Bruno's wonderful series, Il Riluttante Ragazza. Ms. d'Bruno explained that after she wrote the series, Ms. Rosetti decided to include a sub-title for the portrait. So the proper title actually is,

Il Riluttante Contessa , E' Stato Un Momento Maalox.

Tune in next week for "Tropes and Hopes; Transgender Fiction of the Twentieth Century.



It's Still The Arts is a Movin' Dirt Production. Directed by Suzie Heywood; Written by Alison Murdoch and Ronnie Pupkino. Travel considerations provided by TransAussie Airlines; This has been Roberta Cabot, speaking.



up
131 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Fun fun fun...

It seems odd that, having seen many different images of you, I'm simply unable to recall the one where you have your tongue firmly embedded in your cheek. I know it exists... I must have missed it.

Thanks Andrea, I enjoyed that.

Lora123falle.jpg

Thank you 'Drea,

ALISON

'Di Maggio and Rolands team up again,but do not give us a pain in the Artes.Another lovely giggle,
as always,and thanks for the credit!

ALISON

That was fun!

and a really cool twist on the art history i learned in art school... i prefer the art herstory shown here... :))
Hugs,
Diana

i prefer this stuff too

can't wait to see what you come up with next

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Where do you dream these things up

RAMI

Dear Andrea

You never seem to fail to amaze me. How do you continue to dream these thins up. Your imagination is so vivid.

RAMI

RAMI

I'm Positive, I Swear

joannebarbarella's picture

That nearly all the models are our own Belle Meade. Belle, you have to tell us how you keep your looks after 100 years. Do you have a picture of Dorianne Gray?

Joanne