Food Court

Printer-friendly version


may_17_0551_food_court_0.jpg


“May I help you, Miss?”

“Oh….no…that’s okay,” the girl said; smiling nervously at the young woman refolding sweaters on the display rack. She smiled back and returned to her tasks. The girl walked over to another rack and picked up a bright teal top; sleeveless and airy. It just looked like it would go so well with her boy-cut jeans. She stared at it for a moment and put it back; her hands seemed to be reluctant to release the garment and she sighed. Turning to leave, her left hand brushed against the pile of similar tops with a nice variety of colors. Her hand lingered until she willed herself to walk away.

A moment later she was out of the store walking toward the food court. After passing several stores, she stopped and turned back to face the boutique. The shop seemed to beckon, but her gaze was interrupted as a woman walked up and stood between her and the store.

“Oh, honey. I’m glad I caught you before you wandered around. I finished up early at Macy’s and I know you’re probably starved. I’ve got to run to the ladies room, so you can order for us....Sarku’s?” She turned to walk hastily toward the rest room, but stopped only a few steps away and turned.

“Oh….” Reaching into her purse she pulled out a twenty and a ten.

“Chicken Teriyaki, okay?” She passed the money along even as they walked into the food court.

“Sure.”

The woman went to walk away, but again stopped and turned.

“Maybe Cinnabon instead?” She backed away slowly, but stopped once again.

“Oh, just pick something. I gotta go.”

She turned and ran up the low ramp toward the rest rooms, leaving her son with money in his hands, and disappointment once again in his heart.

up
168 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

You did it again.

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

Another short that speaks volumes.

>i< ..:::

ouch.

that hurts, but maybe someday, things will change. They did for me and my mom ...

DogSig.png

Short, sweet and all too true

Short, sweet and all too true at times for many. Hugs, Janice Lynn

Such A Pity

joannebarbarella's picture

Thirty dollars would have probably bought a couple of those nice tops,

Joanne

Reluctance Breeds Disapppointment

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." - Wayne Gretsky

Jill

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

I've Been There

littlerocksilver's picture

I imagine many more readers out there have been, too. How I would love to spend some time finding a bra that was comfortable. But I can't. I would love to find a top that helped emphasize my bra encased breasts. Even though I have them, I can't show them off, and a 72+ year old man just doesn't look right spending time in that area.

Portia

It hurts Soooo good

Thanks Sis. Another brilliant story.
312 words??? I can't finish a story in less than 300 PAGES!

Beth

_______________________________________________________________________
If you've been there I need not explain, and if you haven't nothing I could say would matter.

Short and sweet

Maren Sorensen's picture

... and sad! Portia said it for me too. Always that little bit of sadness when something beautiful must be denied.

Oh, well. Walk away again...

Maren

So...

What can I say??? I loved it.

Just a...

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrat

PKB_003b.jpg

Delightful

A delightful, realistic, and well-written story. Thank you for telling a tale we can all relate to.

Hiker_JPG_1.jpg