Leonora's Journal Volume 2 Chapter 10

Printer-friendly version

Leonora's Journal Volume Two

leather journal.jpg


The Sequel to 'Ring of Stone' and 'Leonora's Journal Volume One' by Bronwen Welsh


Copyright 2023 &2024

Chapter 30 Some good news

Wednesday 20th April
My courses have failed for the second month and I now have no doubt that I am with child again. I do hope it is a boy for Richard’s sake, although as far as I am concerned so long as he or she is healthy I am indifferent as to the sex. I revealed my news to darling Richard and he was so pleased, like me saying all he seeks is a healthy child, but I have no doubt he wishes for a son and heir – all men do, and when a large estate is involved it is important that it stays in the hands of the immediate family, rather than going to a distant relative. I do feel a sense of responsibility since the family has no more sons.

Saturday 30th April
Today we held another musical evening in order to raise funds to be distributed to the poor of Oxford. My dear little sister Emma, who is a very talented performer on the pianoforte, together with my performance on the harp, entertained with a duet by Charles Bochsa, We have been practicing assiduously for some months and our performance, which came as a surprise to our guests, was very well received. I am a moderately competent player of the pianoforte, as good as most women, but I must confess to preferring the harp, and my teacher, Mr Thomas tells me that I am making good progress and have a talent for the instrument. In addition Emma performed some pieces by Mozart, and I presented a traditional Welsh air ‘Hiraeth am Feirion’, the translation of which I am ignorant, but it is beautiful music. We also had contributions from Lucy and Sarah, my sisters in law and some of the other amateur musicians from Oxford. We raised four hundred pounds, a very successful evening, and as happened previously, arranged that Father Maguire and Rev Henry Irvine will distribute the funds to the most needy as they so successfully did previously.

At the conclusion of the performances, which concluded with a rendition of ‘God Save the King’,sung by all present, supper was served. All the performers received many complimentary remarks, but the one I prize the most was from Richard who said that he did not realise that I was becoming so competent on the harp. He is at work when I practice, so he had not had the opportunity to hear me play.

For the next few months, Leonora made few entries in her journal, and they were merely notes on the running of Marston House and the progress of her pregnancy.. DL

Thursday 4th August
A letter arrived from Grasmere today, addressed to Richard. I confess that my interest was piqued, but I had to contain my impatience until Richard arrived home. He took the letter into his study to read and when he re-emerged he had a serious look on his face.

“This letter is from Mama. It seems that Lady Ellen is not well. She has had a cough for some weeks and Mama fears that she might be failing. I feel that I must visit her.”

I too felt very distressed at this news since I have developed great respect and affection for the old lady. I begged Richard to allow me to accompany him. He demurred, citing my current state but I assured him that the baby is not due until November and by then we would have returned to Oxford. Finally, after some thought he agreed to my request. He wishes to leave Oxford as soon as possible, so I agreed to be ready by Saturday morning. Richard will write to his parents and tell them to expect us probably next Tuesday or Wednesday. I do wish that there was some way of notifying them with more dispatch and I’m sure this will be the case in the future.

I confess that for some time I have been feeling more than a little bored. I know that I live a privileged life and there are many women who would envy me and gladly change places with me, but as far as weekdays go, they are often so alike that I long for the weekend and Richard’s presence. Now, the thought of him being away for perhaps a month was not something I would look forward to with equanimity, and besides, I felt that a change of scenery would do me good.

Tomorrow, Richard will be explaining the situation to his fellow company members, and I must start arranging for our journey. We will take our own coach this time and Marie and Anna will accompany us in addition to Elizabeth, also the coachman and Richard’s valet. The house will be left in the competent hands of Mrs Danvers and Mr Anderson. Suddenly I find myself becoming very busy and I cannot honestly say that I am not pleased. I immediately informed Marie and Anna and they set about assembling all that we would need to take with us. Richard arranged for the coach to be ready by eight o’clock Saturday morning.

Friday 5th August
Today I had a meeting with Mrs Danvers and Mr Anderson regarding the management of the house while we are away which I estimated would be not more than one month. I have the utmost confidence in their competence and they will of course write to Richard if there is anything out of the ordinary which requires his attention and decision. Marie and Anna have worked hard packing. In my present condition I will not be attending any social events. But they are taking the precaution of packing mourning dress which I hope will not be needed.

Saturday 6th August Written at Northampton
There was a delay in starting out thanks to one of the horses being lame, but we made reasonable progress, and the inn where we are staying is of good quality. I managed to sleep during part of the journey, the road being tolerably smooth.

Sunday 7th August.
I confess that I felt rather uncomfortable during today’s journey but I kept my discomfort to myself lest Richard should rebuke me for insisting on coming on the trip north. I was unable to sleep, so am retiring to bed early this evening.

Tuesday 8th August
Richard decided that rather than spend another night on the road we would press on to Grasmere even though it meant that we arrived about eight o’clock in the evening. I am sure that Sir John and Lady Elizabeth were a little surprised to see us but being perfect hosts, they did not express any negative feelings.

When we were alone, Lady Elizabeth did express some surprise in seeing me but I assured her that I am feeling well, and that the babe is causing me no trouble. Richard and I were relieved to find that Lady Ellen is feeling a lot better. She retires early so we will see her in the morning.

Wednesday 9th August.
After breakfast, we presented ourselves to Lady Ellen. She was wearing her customary black silk dress and sitting in the drawing room in front of a roaring fire although the weather was quite warm. I made to curtsey but she stopped me saying that I should not attempt it in my condition.

“I am surprised to see you young people here today which I understand is in response to a letter suggesting that I was not in the best of health,” she said, and I confess that I blushed in response.

She smiled, “Pray do not think that I am not pleased to see you again; it was a very pleasant surprise to be informed of your presence at breakfast but in view of your condition, do you think it was wise my dear?"

“The babe is not due until November, Lady Ellen,” I said. “We are very pleased to see you restored to good health. I think we many stay a couple of weeks and then return to Oxford.”

“Well I will enjoy your company while you are here, and also to see young Eliazabeth. It was such a kind thought to send me a sketch of her, and now I shall enjoy the real thing! Perhaps you can bring her to see me after luncheon?”

This I agreed to do, and Elizabeth acquitted herself very well, even attempting a curtsey during which she nearly took a tumble but fortunately righted herself.

“What a darling little mite she is,” said Lady Ellen, obviously greatly taken with her.”Will she come nearer to me?”

I said to Elizabeth “This is your great grandmama Ellen. Shall we go closer to let her see you?”

Elizabeth looked doubtfully at me, so I took her hand and walked across the room.

“Do not be frightened my child, I won’t bite,” said Lady Ellen, with a smile. Perhaps not the best choice of words, but fortunately it didn’t seem to frighten Elizabeth.

“And soon you will have a little brother or sister to play with,” said Lady Ellen, and then to my surprise, she reach to her left and produced a beautiful doll. This is my doll which I was given when I was a little girl just like you; I would like you to have her.” So saying she held the doll out to Elizabeth who stepped closer and took it.

“Say ‘Thank you, Lady Ellen’, I prompted her, and she whispered “Thank you”, obviously rather overawed.

Lady Ellen smiled. “What a pretty little thing she is – she reminds me of … but no matter.”

I wondered what she had been about to say before she checked herself, but it would have been rude to enquire.

“Time for your nap now, Elizabeth, say ‘Goodbye Lady Ellen’,” I said but Elizabeth clutched her new doll and said nothing. I made a very brief curtsey and we left the room. I don’t know how she stands the heat in the room, but I suppose her blood is thin with her advanced age.

Friday 2nd September
This evening we had a farewell dinner with the whole family, including Rev David d’Anglais and his wife Lillian. I confess I did not feel terribly well, and ate little but I could not excuse myself without seeming rude. I was relieved when the party concluded and I could retire to bed.

To be continued

up
44 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Trusting The Two Clerics

joannebarbarella's picture

Probably all Leonora and Richard could do, but I wonder if those of the poor who were not religious got their fair share.

I think Leonora has overdone it, so let's hope her pregnancy is OK.

Oh no...

Lucy Perkins's picture

I have a very bad feeling about this. Whilst I fully understand why Leonora would want to be with Richard (and what a lovely scene when Elizabeth met Lady Ellen.. " I won't bite"!!!) I can't help thinking that this all does not bode well.
Seven months pregnant and travelling the length of the country in a rackety coach? Not one of her wiser moves.
I am going to get the tissues out, ready for what I hope won't happen.
Lucy xxx

"Lately it occurs to me..
what a long strange trip its been."

Seemed Foreboding...

...to me too. Is she going to need those mourning clothes after all?

Eric

I'm guessing

It is not the old ladies time yet. That will come soon enough. Hope it is gentle.