Leonora's Journal Volume 1 Chapter 14

Printer-friendly version

Leonora's Journal Volume One

leather journal.jpg


The Sequel to 'Ring of Stone' by Bronwen Welsh


Copyright 2022


Chapter 14 The Mistress of Marston Hall



Friday 3rd April

Home at last! We departed Warwick early and it was mid afternoon when we saw the familiar spires of Oxford through the coach windows. I later heard from Marie that Anna stared in wonder at the buildings – having seen nothing so large or fine in such abundance all her life apart from Grasmere Hall, but here are many such fine buildings.

When the stagecoach drew up at the inn, I was greatly pleased to see that the d'Anglais coach was drawn up close by with the four horses, the coachman and a footman waiting patiently. Our luggage was transferred and after we took our seats, we were driven the short distance to Marston House. As the coach rounded the drive to stop in front of the main entrance, Mrs Danvers, Mr Anderson, and some maids and footmen appeared. Obviously someone had been directed to keep a watch for our arrival.

Richard descended to the ground and gave me his hand to alight. As we walked up the stone steps, the maids curtseyed and the footmen bowed, as did Mrs Danvers and Mr Anderson when we reached to top. I have to say that their greetings were almost fulsome in appearance. I don't know if they think we are susceptible to flattery.

“Welcome back, Sir and Madam,” said Mr Anderson, and Mrs Danvers added “Thank you for advising us of your return madam, I trust you will find everything to your satisfaction.”

“I'm sure we shall, Mrs Danvers, Mr Anderson,” I replied as we walked indoors. The house was certainly warm and welcoming.

“Mrs Walker has prepared a modest supper for you as we suspected you would not require a large repast after your journey.”

“Thank you Mrs Danvers, that is excellent news,” said Richard. “We will go to our rooms first and change after our long journey.”

Mr Anderson bowed, and Mrs Danvers curtseyed. While all this was happening. Marie, Anna and Robert had entered the house by the servants' entrance at the side, and our luggage had been transported to our bedrooms.

As Richard started up the stairs, I suddenly remembered Anna's accommodation and said I would follow him shortly.

“Mrs Danvers, I wish to speak with you about the new maid Anna's accommodation.”

“Yes ma'am. I hope you don't mind but there is a spare bed in a room which she could share with another maid of around the same age, Molly, who works in the kitchen. Unfortunately, I had to dismiss the maid who previously shared the room, but perhaps this has worked to Anna's advantage.”

“That is excellent news about the bed, Mrs Danvers. I discovered during our trip from Grasmere that she has never slept in a room on her own before and found it a frightening experience, so sharing with another maid will be ideal for her.”

“Thank you ma'am.”

“By the way, why was the other maid dismissed, was she stealing?”

“No ma'am, it was worse than that – I noticed a change in her figure and when I questioned her, she confessed that she is expecting a child. She would not reveal the name of the father but says it is not someone on our staff.”

“What was her name?” I asked.

“Mary Rose. She is the daughter of Mrs Rose who is our laundry-woman. That is how she came to be appointed, and now she has ruined her life.”

“That is indeed a great pity,” I said. “Thank you, Mrs Danvers”. With that I ascended the stairs to my bedroom.

Marie and Anna were already there unpacking and putting away my clothes, and Anna told me she had already met the maid with whom she will be sharing a room.

“She is called Molly, ma'am, and I think we will get on well together.”

“That is good news, Anna,” I replied.

Marie and Anna helped me to change into a fresh gown and I then descended the stairs to the dining room, where Richard and I ate some cold meats and fruit for supper. It's been a long day, and I will be pleased to retire.

Saturday 4th April.

Richard kindly agreed that we should visit my parents and Emma this morning. It seems an age since I last saw them.

When we arrived at Northbridge House in our coach, we were greeted by my parents to whom we bowed and curtseyed ,and also Emma who was thrilled to see us again and almost forgot her curtsey until reminded by Mama. I hadn't realised how much I had missed them in a few short weeks. We were shown into the drawing room where I hugged Emma and presented her with her new doll for which she thanked me very prettily. I think she has almost grown in the short time that we have been away.

Naturally, we had to relate all our adventures since departing on our wedding day, and Papa was interested to hear of our visit to the nation's capital.

“How did you find London?” he said, and I had to describe how impressed I had been by its size, noise and bustle. Papa was particularly interested in our visit to the British Museum, which I described in some detail, omitting however any reference to the ushabti doll.

“I recently received a letter from Professor Felspar,” said Papa. “He greatly enjoyed your visit and was particularly impressed with your knowledge of Egypt in ancient times, which he kindly puts down to my tuition.”

Inevitably, I blushed. “Professor Felspar was most hospitable, and in addition to showing us the Rosetta Stone, he took us for a tour of the Egyptian antiquities on display and said there will be room for many more when the Museum is housed in a larger building.”

“I must find time to visit the Museum again myself,” said Papa. “The work they are doing on the translation of the Rosetta Stone is most encouraging. There are so many inscriptions and documents written in hieroglyphics that it will be a great advance in our knowledge of ancient Egypt to have them translated.”

I confess I would love to have accompanied him, in order to see the museum again, but I realised that it was impossible without his invitation. Meanwhile Mama contrived to have a few minutes alone with me.

“I can scarcely believe it,” she said. “You left this house on your wedding day as a girl, but now you are a confident young woman, and mistress of your own house. The change is remarkable.” Then she laughed and said, “Well some things don't change; you are still able to blush, which I find most appealing and I'm sure Richard does too.”

“Mama , as far as being mistress of my own house is concerned, I confess not to be confident at all. My butler and housekeeper know far more that I do about the running of the house.”

“Then use their knowledge to your advantage,” said Mama. “Do not act in a superior manner to them but use them to help you run the household and let them know you appreciate their help. That will work greatly in your favour. Don't forget that every new wife has the same dilemma, and the larger the house, the greater the dilemma is.”

I thanked her sincerely for her advice and promised to put it to good use.

Sunday 5th April.
We attended church and enjoyed the sermon by Mr Irvine. He kindly enquired how we were finding married life and Richard answered 'Very well indeed', while of course I blushed. I really wish I could control such an overt sign of my emotions, but I fear it will not happen until I am much older.

Monday 6th April

Today Richard went into Oxford to meet with his associates in the law company of which he is a partner. I took the opportunity to acquaint myself more with the house of which I am now mistress. As I walked through the rooms and corridors, Mrs Danvers approached me at one stage and asked if there was anything she could do to assist me.

“Yes there is Mrs Danvers,” I said. “Mr d'Anglais has his study of course, and I am wondering if there is a spare room, not necessarily large, which I might have for myself in order to study and keep my private papers?”

She thought for a moment and then replied that there was a small room which was not being used, but she doubted if it was big enough to suit my purpose.

“Perhaps you would like to take over my office, ma’am?” she said.

“I would not dream of it, Mrs Danvers, but thank you for your kindness in offering it,” I replied. “Perhaps you can show me the room you suggest?” She led me down the main ground floor corridor and stopped at a door which I confess not to have noticed before. When she produced a key and opened it, it was obvious from the musty smell that had me wrinkling my nose, that it had little use, and it contained just a few items of furniture which must have become superfluous.

“As you see, ma'am, it is very small,” she said, but I could envisage it as being perfect for my needs.

“I believe it is big enough to suffice for what I require,” I replied. “All I need is a small desk, three chairs and a bureau where I can store my papers. If we already have some superfluous furniture that will suit my needs, that will save the expense of purchasing some new. I will leave it in your capable hands to have it cleaned and the items I require to be installed if they are available. Otherwise, I will consult Mr d'Anglais about purchasing them. In the meantime, I would like to have a meeting with you and Mr Anderson, for preference this morning if this can be done. If on this occasion we can use your office, I would appreciate it. Shall we say at twelve o'clock?”

At five minutes to the hour, I arrived at Mrs Danvers' office. She and Mr Anderson were already there and had tactfully left the seat behind her desk for me. When I entered, they both stood, she curtseyed and Mr Anderson bowed.

“Please be seated,“ I said. “You may wonder why I have asked to see you today. The fact is that thanks to my marriage to Mr d'Anglais, I am become mistress of this house, with all the attendant responsibilities to ensure that it is a haven of comfort for him when he returns from his business dealings, a place to entertain visitors including family and friends, and run in the most efficient manner possible. I am under no illusion that my knowledge of achieving this aim is in any way sufficient. I therefore must rely upon your superior knowledge in order to achieve my aims, but rest assured, I will acknowledge the assistance you give me. While I expect you to carry out your normal duties without reference to me, I do request that anything out of the ordinary be brought to my attention. I also wish to see the monthly accounts when they are prepared. At least initially, I think we should meet on a monthly basis, plus on extra occasions if deemed necessary.”

Mrs Danvers was the first to speak, which did not surprise me: “I am sure we appreciate your frankness ma’am and will do all in our power to work with you for the benefit of the household.” Mr Anderson nodded his endorsement of Mrs Danvers' comment.

“That is all I ask of you,” I replied. “Thank you for making yourselves available for this meeting. I will not detain you any longer as I'm sure you have duties to attend to.” With that I stood up, they stood, another bow and curtsey and we went our separate ways. I feel that the meeting went well.

My next visit was to see Mrs Walker, the cook, to enquire about the menu for dinner this evening. She and a number of kitchen maids were already hard at work, but they all stopped and curtseyed when they saw me, and I wished them a good day and asked them to please carry on with their duties. Mrs Walker informed me that the meat for dinner would consist of mutton, beef and chicken.

“Are you providing some vegetables as well?” I enquired.

“Yes ma'am; some beets and boiled potatoes,” she replied. “Is there a problem?”

“Not at all. It sounds most satisfactory,” I replied, but the fact is I would like some more green vegetables to be served. I remember how in the Middle Ages the rich ate almost exclusively meat because they could afford it, and the poor ate mainly vegetables and very little meat, which was undoubtedly a better diet. However, I realise that changes must proceed slowly. Servants talk and I don't want to be known as the new mistress who comes into the house thinking she knows it all and turns the place upside down in the first week.

Tuesday 7th April.
I find myself thinking more and more about young Mary Rose. When my courses finally stop, it will be a moment of joy for me, if combined with some trepidation. For Mary Rose it must have been a moment of sheer terror, assuming that she realised the significance. Now she has lost her position and reputation and had to confess the reason to her mother. Her chances of finding a husband must be greatly diminished.

I have decided to ask Marie to discretely discover where Mrs Rose conducts her laundry business, but to make sure that nobody realises that it is I who wishes to know. She is the only person in the world that I could trust to carry out this mission.

This evening she came with the information I required.

Wednesday 8th April.
It was a warm sunny day and Richard was at his office. I summoned the coach, letting it be known that I wished to go for a drive. When we had travelled some distance, I called to the coachman to stop. I told him the address which I wished to visit but not to stop too closely to the door, and that I did not wish it known by other staff members that I had visited the laundry. I would normally have taken a footman with me, but I had a reason not to do so.

The coach stopped some fifty paces from Mrs Rose's establishment, and I got out and walked the remaining distance. I tapped on the door, and a red-faced harassed-looking woman answered the door and said “Yes? … Ma'am?”

'Mrs Rose, I am Mrs d'Anglais, mistress of Marston House. May I speak to your daughter?”

“Oh! Yes, ma'am,” she said, sketching a curtsey: “This way please.” She led me down a corridor which smelled of wet clothing and sheets, to a room at the back which was filled with steam. There was a young girl, quite pretty, but very obviously with child, with her arms up to the elbows in a large cauldron of water and material being washed.

“Mary, this is Mrs d'Anglais from Marston House,” said her mother, sounding quite in awe. “She wishes to speak with you.” Then turning to me she said, “I expect you would like to be alone with her, ma'am?” I nodded and she left to return to her duties. Mary removed her arms from the tub and bobbed a curtsey.

“Mary,” I began. “I was away when the unfortunate event occurred which caused Mrs Danvers to dismiss you. I cannot offer you your position back at Marston House, but I would like to know a little more of what happened. I understand you told her that nobody on the staff was responsible for your condition. Now I do not really believe that since you were in the house every evening. I believe the man, who ever he is, should take responsibility for what happened, as much as you must. Has he offered to support you with money or even marry you? Do you wish to share his name with me?”

Mary shook her head violently: “He's given me no money ma'am and I don't dare to say who he is. He said it was all my fault and that he will kill me if he finds that I have divulged his name as it will ruin his reputation.”

“Very well, Mary,” I said. “But can you at least confirm that he is a member of staff at Marsdon House?”

Mary looked uncertain, but finally she whispered. “Yes. He's one of the footmen.” This confirmed my suspicions.

“Thank you, Mary,” I said. “You have my word I will not reveal to anyone what you have told me. Now I will not keep you from your work any longer.”

With that, I left her and went back up the corridor to speak to her mother.

“I am sorry for your daughter. She has been ill-used, but I hope you understand that I cannot offer to employ her again. However, here is two guineas to assist with her care, and if there is anything else I can do for her, please send me a message.”

Mrs Rose looked almost as if she would cry: “Thank you so much ma'am,” she said, and she sounded genuinely grateful. The money came from the pin money that Richard regularly gives me which is mine to do with as I will. It was all I had in my reticule.

With that I left and returned to the coach. I asked the coachman, Mr Spicer, to take me for a short trip through the university buildings and then home. I'm not sure what I will do about the footman yet, but I will do something. It suddenly occurred to me that if he is a seducer of one young woman, he might turn his attention to another one. I thought of Anna and my blood ran cold.

This evening as Marie was helping me to undress, I told her that I believed that Mary Rose's seducer was a member of the staff, and I was concerned that he might try his blandishments on Anna.

“She's a sweet pretty girl but young and naïve,” I said. “Would you explain to her that no male member of staff should approach her with compliments or presents as it it against the rules of the house, and if someone does so, ask her to tell you who it is. Please assure her that she will not be in any trouble.”

“Certainly ma'am,” said Marie, “If there is a rogue in the house I will be as concerned for Anna's safety as you are.”

Friday 10th April.
Marie came to me today. Anna has told her of a footman, John Martin who has been stopping her in the corridors and paying her compliments. He has now given her a small trinket 'as a token of his appreciation'. All he has done is to frighten her as he is much older than her. I thanked Marie and asked her to tell Anna that I promise her name will not be brought up, but I am going to take steps to stop him.

My little study is now nearly complete. It has been cleaned and aired, a small table found and three chairs, the most comfortable of which is placed behind the desk. All that I am still in want of is a bureau for my papers. Fortunately, a cabinet maker is currently constructing some furniture for Richard's legal office in Oxford, and he has been commissioned to build what I require. Thanks to my drawing skills, I have been able to sketch the design of what I require.

I feel there is no time to lose, so I requested Mr Anderson and Mrs Danvers to come to my office. Once there I told them of the footman Martin's inappropriate advances to Anna, and while I have no proof, I cannot help wondering if he is the same man who caused the ruin of Mary Rose. I saw them glance at each other – I was probably meant to, so I asked them if they knew anything else of this footman.

“Nothing definite ma'am,” said Mr Anderson, “But I've had suspicions about his honesty for some time. A few months back, an item from the best silver cutlery went missing and I saw Martin coming from the direction of the room where it is stored. Somebody had forgotten to lock the door. It is no proof of course, but he started and looked guilty when I saw him. A search of all the staff rooms was made but nothing was found.”

“Do you have anything to add, Mrs Danvers?” I asked.

“Like you ma'am, I did not feel inclined to believe Mary Rose when she denied that the culprit was a member of the staff here, but she was clearly frightened. I was sorry I had to dismiss her, but I had no choice.”

“I totally understand, Mrs Danvers, and you acted very properly. However, I would feel more comfortable if this man was dismissed, but we need to find a reason which does not in any way link it to either of the young maids.”

I looked at Mr Anderson, and he nodded his head slowly. “Will you leave it to me ma'am? With your permission I will see what I can do.”

To be continued

up
72 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The footman has taken on the wrong mistress..

Lucy Perkins's picture

I somehow think that the footman will come to rue his behaviour.
This really is s very compelling story,Bron, I do find myself thinking about the characters in my day to day life.
Thank you for such a compelling story..
Lucy xx

"Lately it occurs to me..
what a long strange trip its been."

Always The Girl Got The Blame

joannebarbarella's picture

And the man got off scotfree. This attitude persisted until quite recently. We'll never know how many lives were ruined.
In this story maybe some justice will be done.

It's always interesting how that works.

Julia Miller's picture

It's difficult to pin it on a man, especially since his body doesn't change in any way. Women have always taken the blame, somehow a man can always do what he wants, but a weaker woman is the gatekeeper and must stop his advances.

Villainy!

terrynaut's picture

The footman is a nice addition to the story. I'll be happy to see him caught and properly dealt with. I really like how Leonora is handling the situation so far.

Thanks and kudos (number 40).

- Terry

it seems

Wendy Jean's picture

as if her duties as mistress of the house have started.