Leonora's Journal Volume 1 Chapter 8

Printer-friendly version

Leonora's Journal Volume One

leather journal.jpg


The Sequel to 'Ring of Stone' by Bronwen Welsh


Copyright 2022


Chapter 8 Touring London and a special meeting

Thursday 20th February
We arose early and were pleased to see that the sun was shining and not a cloud in the sky. The two aunts were not early risers, but one of the maids informed us that Harold would bring the coach around to the front door at nine o'clock if this was convenient for us; otherwise, we were to select our own time, and he would be informed. Nine o'clock was quite convenient and we sent a message to that effect and then lightly breakfasted on breads, butter, preserves, a pot of tea and some hot chocolate. I'm sure the servants were surprised to see us breakfasting so early, but we were determined not to waste the daylight hours, it being Winter.

The weather was cool, so I wore a pelisse over my gown, and a bonnet of course – that goes without saying. When we emerged from the house, Harold greeted us very civilly, although I couldn't help wondering what his real feelings were about suddenly being obliged to work extra hours. A footman handed me into the carriage which I should mention was a closed one and drawn by four horses; Richard entered, and we were on our way.

It is not a long trip to the Tower, and we arrived by ten o'clock, the opening time for visitors. Harold was asked to return for us at four o'clock, as we wished to arrive at Chelsea to prepare for dinner without rushing. He touched his hat and wished us a pleasant day before leaving for Chelsea. It was not worth him waiting at the Tower for so many hours.

I should mention that Richard was given a beautiful pocket watch by his father as a wedding gift. It is attached to his waistcoat by a chain and when not in use sits in a small fob pocket for protection. It is the first watch he has ever possessed, and he is very proud of it. Watches are certainly very useful for enabling us to keep to an agreed time.

As we walked over the stone bridge across the moat, I looked down and was somewhat dismayed by how dirty the water appeared. Richard told me that the moat is connected to the Thames which is tidal here, so the water is effectively changed every eight hours. I could not help thinking that it was not a very effective system.

Arriving at the main gate, Richard paid for us to see a number of exhibits at one shilling per person for each of them, which I thought expensive but said nothing, and we were fortunate in obtaining the services of one of the yeoman warders who was wearing a uniform designed by Henry VIII, to show us some of the exhibits. He suggested that we see the Jewel House first since it is so popular, especially with the ladies that often there are queues later in the day. It was certainly a very impressive exhibition. Lodged behind a cage of thick steel bars, the gold glitters in the candlelight and the jewels, set in crowns, sceptres, orbs and other regalia sparkle – emeralds, rubies, pearls, diamonds, some as big as a chicken's egg, I have never seen such an amazing display. The warder informed us that the value of the jewels and gold was not less that two million pounds, an unimaginable amount, but of course in their settings they are priceless.

Our next destination was the White Tower, the original building which was erected between 1070 and 1100. It contains an amazing collection of armaments, more to Richard's taste than mine, but one display was particularly interesting – two suits of armour which belonged to King Henry VIII. The first was made to fit him as a young man, obviously athletic, whereas the second, made for the aging Henry showed that his body was indeed much enlarged as shown in the famous painting by Hans Holbein the Younger who spent a lot of time in England and created some of the most famous paintings of the British nobility of that time.

As we crossed Tower Green on our way to the next item of interest, our guide pointed out the site of the scaffold and block on which a number of people lost their heads. I confess that the thought made me shiver.

Our next visit was to the chapel of St Peter ad Vincula which I was told means 'St Peter in Chains', and the present chapel was built by Henry VIII. We were informed that this chapel is a 'royal peculiar', meaning it is subject to the jurisdiction of the monarch and not the diocese of Westminster within which it stands. There are a number of other such chapels in England. We were shown the memorials on the tiled floor, which indicated that amongst others it is the last resting place of two of Henry's queens, Anne Boleyn and Catherine Howard, and also Lady Jane Grey, queen for nine days whose downfall was due to the ambitions of older male relatives, and also her husband, executed on the orders of Queen Mary I who succeeded her. All were executed on Tower Green. I feel a great sadness for Lady Jane. She was just a girl; Mary could have spared her. Richard saw my eyes filled with tears and suggested that we leave the building, which I was pleased to do.

As we passed the White Tower again, our guide said “I forgot to mention that this is where the two princes, Edward V and his brother were murdered on the orders of his uncle Richard who took the throne.”

I could not let this pass without comment although I realised that as a woman I was not expected to be knowledgeable.

“Pardon my interruption, Sargent Wilmott, but would it not be more accurate to say that Richard was alleged, primarily by Tudor historians, to be responsible for their deaths? There were others who would also benefit from their removal, including Richard's successor Henry VII, the first Tudor monarch. However, you are right, Richard is the chief suspect.”

Our guide looked a trifle startled at my comment, but recollecting himself said “You are right ma'am, I should have said 'allegedly murdered on the orders of Richard'.

For some reason, this exchanged served to cheer me, and this was followed by Richard's suggestion of a visit to the Royal Menagerie. I confess that while it was amazing to see live lions, tigers and bears for the first time, their confinement in small enclosures saddened me and I hope that they will be transferred to somewhere more spacious in the fullness of time. Nevertheless, I did my best to appear delighted with viewing them since I did not want Richard to feel that the day's visit to the Tower had not been a success. However, I was glad when the appointed time came for us to leave those buildings with their sad history and take the coach back to Chelsea. As we travelled back, I asked Richard if I had spoken out of turn in suggesting that our guide was not totally accurate in his commentary?

“On the contrary, dearest, I think you made a very valid point,” he replied which reassured me.

We had plenty of time to get dressed for dinner, Marie helping me as usual. I feel a trifle guilty that she and Robert are confined to the house while Richard and I were out all day enjoying ourselves.

At dinner, Aunt H asked me how I enjoyed the visit to the Tower. I confess that my answer was a little lacking in enthusiasm.

“I found it very interesting, Aunt Henrietta, but I confess it was not as enjoyable as I had hoped. There has been so much suffering and death there and still is as far as the animals in the menagerie are concerned. I would love for them to be removed to more spacious quarters; the Tower is really no place for them.”

“I would not visit the Tower again if it were only a short walk up the street,” remarked Aunt J. It is one of the rare times when I have heard her make such a definitive statement. Aunt H raised her eyebrows but made no comment.

Tonight, I spoke to Richard about allowing Marie and Robert some time off to explore London, provided they were back in time to help us prepare for dinner. To my great satisfaction, he was agreeable to my suggestion, so I spoke to Marie tonight as she helped me to prepare for bed, and she was very happy about my suggestion. It seems that while she has never visited London before, Robert lived and worked here for a few years so is quite familiar with the city, and will be able to take her to places of interest, although she agreed with my suggestion to avoid the Tower.

Friday 21st February
We arose and breakfasted early again, and Harold brought the coach around to the front steps at precisely nine o'clock. I wondered how he could be so prompt, and Richard told me that the aunts had made him a present of a pocket watch so that he would be on time to collect them when they visited their friends.

We were most happy to see the weather was again sunny though cool. Richard had suggested that today we visit some of the eight Royal Parks in London as a more relaxing day. These are lands which were originally used by royalty for hunting and recreation. Leaving Chelsea, we headed north and passed The Regent's Park, named after our present Prince Regent, but visitors are not allowed to enter without permission. I could not help remarking that this would make an ideal place to create large enclosures to accommodate those poor animals in the Tower. Richard patted my hand and said he was sure that something would be done about them in due course.

(Leonora’s wish for the animals in the Tower menagerie to be removed was in fact fulfilled in 1828 when a zoological gardens was founded in The Regent’s Park by Sir Stamford Raffles and Sir Humphrey Davy, and the Tower animals provided the core of the collection which rapidly expanded. It was opened to the public in 1847.Dora D)

From here we drove on to St James's Park. Richard explained that it is the most easterly of a chain of parks and named after a leper hospital that originally stood on the site, Henry VIII purchased it and later Charles II opened it to the public and used it to entertain his friends and mistresses including the famous Nell Gwyn.

With a wicked look on his face, Richard said the park was notorious for 'impromptu acts of lechery'.

“Mr d'Anglais, you shock me!” I exclaimed.

Richard responded by saying: “Mrs d'Anglais, if you had said that less than a week ago, I would have believed you, but now that we are married ...”

I was pleased that I could still blush, or he would have thought me most wanton, but the fact is that the pleasures of married life are more than I could ever have anticipated, and between a married couple there is nothing forbidden.

From here we passed Buckingham House, a fine residence and one of the Prince Regent's favourites; then past The Green Park and so to the largest park of all – Hyde Park, for which again it seems we have to thank Henry VIII who took it from Westminster Abbey to use for hunting. At my request, Richard ordered the coach to be stopped so that we could have a walk to the large lake called the Serpentine. Being in winter the trees are bare, but I am sure it would be a most colourful place in Spring and Summer when the trees are in leaf and the flowers are in bloom. I begged of Richard to be brought back again in the warmer months, to which he readily agreed.

Returning to the coach Richard suggested some refreshment and asked Harold who is most knowledgeable of London, where a suitable inn could be found nearby where the horses could be watered and we could obtain a light meal. He gave Harold half a sovereign so that he could refresh himself too, and in no time, we were alighting at a respectable establishment which could provide some mixed meats and a glass of acceptable wine.

Returning to our carriage, we toured around Kensington Gardens, which Richard told me were originally the western end of Hyde Pak, but now surround Kensington Palace, home to some minor royalty including some of the sons of King George. These gardens are not open to the public and are more improved than Hyde Park.

Finally, we drove to the Thames embankment where we had a short walk. However, Richard said he thought I looked fagged and we returned to Chelsea so that I could have a rest before dressing for dinner.

During dinner, Aunt H said “I have a treat for you both. Every month we hold a 'soiree' to which we invite some of the notable practitioners of the arts. In your honour, we will be having one tomorrow evening which I'm sure you will enjoy.”

That was indeed something to look forward to; and on that happy note, after the conclusion of dinner we retired early for the night.

Saturday 22nd February
We had a quiet day. Marie and I spent some time in deciding on what gown I would wear for the evening and eventually decided on my wedding gown as the prettiest one I possess. After a light lunch, we spent most of the afternoon in my preparations for the evening.

The evening was very entertaining with about a dozen of the aunts' friends and acquaintances. One was the artist James Northcote whom Richard was introduced to. For some time he had been talking about having portraits of me and himself painted as a remembrance of our wedding, and upon finding out that Mr Northcote is a portrait painter, he canvassed the idea of commissioning him to paint the portraits, with some success.

It was while Richard was talking to Mr Northcote that I noticed a lady across the room, in her thirties at a guess and whose face seemed vaguely familiar to me, although where I had seen her I had no idea. Unfortunately, she discovered me staring at her and smiled. I immediately blushed and turned my head, greatly embarrassed. Aunt Juliana was close by, so I asked her who the lady was.

Jane-Austen3.jpeg

“Oh, that is Miss Jane Austen, the writer,” she replied. “It's an open secret that she has published a novel called 'Sense and Sensibility', although she chuses to be anonymous.”

“Oh! I have read that novel and thought it very fine,” I replied.

“Would you like me to introduced you?” said Aunt J, and upon my assent, she led me across the room to where Miss Austen stood alone and made the introductions before excusing herself to attend to other guests.

“My husband's aunt has told me in strict confidence that you are the author of the novel 'Sense and Sensibility' which I recently read with great enjoyment,” I said.

A faint flush appeared on Miss Austen's cheek, so I hastened to reassure her.

“I am sure you have your own reasons for wishing to remain anonymous, and you may rest assured that I will not divulge this information to any one of my acquaintances.”

“That is very kind of you, Mrs d'Anglais,” she said.

I smiled and replied. “I have not yet been married a week and I confess that it is taking me time to become used to being addressed in such a manner. I would be happy for you to call me Leonora if you wish.”

Miss Austen smiled and said “Then you must address me as Jane. May I assume that this is a honeymoon trip you are undertaking?”

“Yes indeed; it is my first visit to London and I am amazed at all that it offers. My family lives in Oxford and when we return I will be taking up the position of mistress of an house belonging to my parents-in-law, something which I confess fills me with some trepidation.”

Jane smiled: “I can perfectly understand that. Did you meet your husband, whom I assume is the handsome gentleman talking to Mr Northcote, in Oxford?”

“No, it was actually at the old Druid's Circle near Keswick in Cumberland. I was there with my family after recovering from a severe illness. I planned to do some sketching when the heat nearly overcame me and Richard came to my aid. Imagine my surprise when later that day I discovered that my brother John already knew him as they were both studying law at Oxford, and brought him to the house we were renting.”

“That is indeed a coincidence,” said Jane. "I am pleased to hear that it does not only occur in novels!"

“I think it was a case of instantly falling in love for both parties. I immediately knew that Richard was the man I was meant to marry. My brother, who likes to tease me and make me blush, said later, our mutual attraction was so obvious, that since a single young man with a good fortune like Richard must be in want of a wife, he would recommend me, since he was sure that I would serve as well as any one.”

We both laughed at this. “Tell me Miss Austen ,,, Jane, are you working upon another novel at present?”

“Yes indeed. I wrote another novel I titled 'First Impressions' about fifteen years ago which is yet to be published, but I am satisfied with neither it nor the title which I think I might change to 'Pride and Prejudice'. I am currently undertaking a significant revision of the text and hope to get it published next year.”

“I will certainly look forward to reading it very much,” I said, and Jane very kindly said that she would send me a copy of the first edition, “hoping there will be more than one.”

“I am sure it will be as great a success as your first novel,” I said.

Just then a footman approached and said that Miss Austen's carriage had arrived.

“I have enjoyed our conversation very much, and I hope that we might meet again,” I said, and Miss Austen replied in a similar cordial manner. I do hope that my wish is fulfilled. When I described to her my meeting with Richard and my brother's comment, I cannot help wondering if she might use my story as inspiration in one of her novels. I am sure that writers use such things all the time.

Later, Richard told me that he had arranged an appointment with Mr Northcote to visit his studio on Monday to view some of his work before commissioning him to paint our portraits. It will be interesting to see his work.

At the conclusion of the evening, I thanked Richard’s aunts most sincerely for holding the evening.

“I was especially pleased to make the acquaintance of Miss Austin after reading her first novel, and she has promised me a copy of her next publication as soon as it is printed.” I said.

To be continued

up
80 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

At this point

Wendy Jean's picture

Messing with the timeline becomes a very real possibility. Said she is already read the book. One thoughtless comment could have major consequences.

Ah Miss Austen...

Lucy Perkins's picture

a single young man with a good fortune like Richard must be in want of a wife,
That has a ring to it. Perhaps she could use the line herself?
That really is a wonderful touch, Bronwen.
I also liked the visit to the Royal Parks and the Tower too. As a good Yorkshire Lass, I am very pleased that Leonora stood up for Richard III. Even in the 1970s when I visited the Tower, I found it a depressing place. So much sadness.
Brilliant writing!
Lucy xx

"Lately it occurs to me..
what a long strange trip its been."

More Goodness

terrynaut's picture

I love the meeting with Jane Austen, even if it was short. Just imagine getting a first edition of Pride and Prejudice! That must be worth quite a lot of money now.

I'm still here. Still reading and enjoying this story.

Thanks and kudos (number 31).

- Terry

Careful, Leonora

joannebarbarella's picture

You are supposed to have lost big parts of your memory so being too familiar with Jane Austen's works could raise suspicions.