Leonora's Journal Volume 1 Chapter 15

Printer-friendly version

Leonora's Journal Volume One

leather journal.jpg


The Sequel to 'Ring of Stone' by Bronwen Welsh


Copyright 2022


Chapter 15 A problem solved


Sunday 12th April

There seemed to be a buzz of excitement in the house this morning. Wondering what it could be, I called for Marie who always seems to know.

“A footman called John Martin has been stealing silverwear,” she said. “An item was missed and a search of all the servants' quarters conducted. The missing article was found hidden in Martin's room. He denied all knowledge of it of course, but the evidence was there and when he was threatened with a referral to the magistrates' court and likely transportation to the Colonies, he decided to leave quietly.”

“Well, I am glad of that as I was most concerned for Anna's safety while he was in the house,” I said. Later, when I saw Mr Anderson, I said that I was glad for the satisfactory outcome of our problem.

“Yes indeed ma'am,” he said. “Martin seemed to put his own head in the noose, so to speak. I did not have to find a means of dismissing him after all.”

“Quite so, Mr Anderson,” I replied.

Monday 13th April
I visited Mama for tea today. Emma was with her tutor, but was allowed to join us, but before she did, I told Mama the story about the footman Martin and how he had been dismissed.

“How very fortunate that he decided to steal another item, but this time was caught,” she said, with a slight smile on her face.

“Yes indeed. Mama. It meant that he could be dismissed without putting either of the maids in danger of retribution, something which had concerned me greatly. I imagine he has left Oxford as he will have trouble gaining a position without a reference, and he would not have dared referring anyone to Marston House.”

With the arrival of Emma for tea, that was the end of our comments as I rose to give her a hug after her curtsey. She is such a sweet little girl, and growing up beautifully. Moreover I believe her to be a bright little girl and she is doing well with her studies. After tea I was invited to hear Emma play the latest music she had learned. I truly believe that the quality of her pianoforte playing exceeds mine, even though I have taken up my studies again.

--ooOoo--

Monday 20th April
Today Mama and Emma visited me to take tea. I feel that I have settled in sufficiently as mistress of Marston House to take my turn in hosting their visit. I did tell Mrs Danvers that my mother, Lady Margaret Bolton and my young sister would be visiting for tea for the first time. I did not need to emphasise how important it was for me that their visit should be a success. Mrs Danvers has been a housekeeper for many years. She can read between the lines.

“I will endeavour to greet her ladyship myself, ma'am. Will you be in the drawing room?”

“Yes, Mrs Danvers. Thank you.” Whenever I visit Mama, she is in the drawing room. It is not considered appropriate for her to greet me at the front door, so neither should I.

About two o'clock, I heard carriage wheels drawing up at the front door. I was busy using my Lake District sketches to make some drawings of the scenery and about five minutes later the door to the drawing room opened, and Mrs Danvers appeared.

“Lady Bolton and Miss Bolton, ma'am,” she said with a curtsey, and Mama and Emma entered the room. I stood and curtseyed to Mamma and Emma curtseyed to me. With the formalities over I invited them to take a seat on the couch. Our conversation began and after a while I noticed tht Emma looked a little bored, so I asked her if she would be interested in seeing a picture book of animals, which I had selected from the library and had on hand. She was indeed interested and was soon sitting at a small table and absorbed in the pictures. Mama smiled at my foresight.

During the conversation, Mama said "Have you considered when you might hold your first ball?” Indeed I had not and I'm sure I gave myself away with a blush.

“It will be a most suitable occasion to introduce yourself to the gentry of the neighbourhood as mistress of Marston House,” she said. “Perhaps you could show me the ballroom and I will have some idea of how many guests you may invite.”

Emma was happy to continue looking at the picture book, so I led Mama to the ballroom which was just a short walk down the corridor.

“This is a very elegant room,” she said. “And very similar in size to Northbridge House. I would recommend a guest list or around twenty couples.”

I could feel myself blushing: “Mama, you know how my memory from before my sickness has failed me. Can you recommend which families I might invite?”

“Certainly, my dear. I will write you out a list of names and addresses and post it to you in order that you might write the invitations. May I suggest in about four weeks’ time on a Saturday?”

“Thank you Mama, that will be most helpful,” I replied.

As we returned to the drawing room we saw Mrs Danvers. She paused and curtseyed. “May I arrange for tea to be delivered to the drawing room, ma'am?” she said to me.

“Yes please, Mrs Danvers.”

Five minutes after we entered the drawing room again, a maid entered with a tray on which was set out silver tea things and fine porcelain cups, saucers and plates. A second maid entered with plates of small cakes, and a third brought in the elegant rosewood tea caddy which had been one of our wedding presents. I produced the key and ladled some tea into the tea pot, to which the maid added boiling water, which was also added to a separate jug.

(NB. Tea was very expensive at this time, and it was common for it to be kept in a locked container, with the key held by the mistress of the house. Dora L.)

“Shall I pour ma'am?” asked the first maid and upon me assenting, she asked Mama how she would like her tea, and also Miss Bolton's preference. It was all very well done. She knew of course how I enjoyed my tea. The plate of cakes was handed around. This is not common practice but I could imagined that Emma might be hungry, and her eyes widened at the sight of the cakes. She knew she should only take one so it seemed to me that she took the largest one on the plate! Mama and I declined the offered plate which took an effort of will from me as I have a 'sweet tooth' as the saying goes, but Emma was permitted one. With Mama's permission, I will arrange for a small package of cakes to return with my visitors for Emma to enjoy.

Finally, the time came for Mama and Emma to return home. The carriage was brought around to the front door and this time I did walk as far as the steps in order to farewell them. I felt that the visit had gone very well.

Tonight, I asked Richard if he would permit a ball to be held and he was very happy to give his assent. I worked out a date a month from now, which will be Saturday 23rd May. Now I must wait for Mama's list of people to invite.

Tuesday 21st April
Today I asked Mrs Danvers and Mr Anderson to attend me in my office and told them of Mr d'Anglais and my intention to hold a ball and also the proposed date.

“I will of course rely heavily upon your assistance in the preparation and conducting of it, It is most important that being our first ball, it should be a success,” I said.

“Of course, ma'am. We have held a number of balls here previously, so perhaps we can make some suggestions?”

“I would be most grateful, Mrs Danvers,and Mr Anderson,” I replied. I know I could rely on them.

Thursday 23th April.
Mama's list of people to invite to the ball has arrived. She has chosen carefully so that the young men and women are about equal in number. I also held a meeting with Mrs Danvers and Mr Anderson regarding the organisation of the ball. Like all young women I have attended a number of balls and enjoyed them very much, but this will be different – the ultimate responsibility rests with me.

Mrs Danvers had a list of items to be attended to such as the musicians, food for the supper and breakfast, which will be set up in the dining room, extra chairs for the ballroom. Mr Anderson will arrange the drinks to be provided, some extra footmen to be hired, and the list goes on.

Richard asked if I wished to purchase a new gown for the occasion, but I told him that the gown which Lady d'Anglais insisted that I purchased in Grasmere at her expense, would be more than adequate for the occasion, being very beautiful and what is more, not yet seen by anyone in Oxford.

Friday 24th April.
Richard has suggested that it might be diplomatic to invite his two sisters in Grasmere to the ball, although he doubts very much if they would undertake the journey of four days for the sake of it. I agreed of course. Should they decide to attend, there are the two bedrooms which are reserved for their parents which they would have the use of.

Today I set about writing out the invitations which I have sent out to be posted. It will be interesting to see how many acceptances we receive.

Monday 4th May.
Today, a letter arrived from my sister-in-law, Miss Lucy d'Anglais, and to my surprise, she accepted my invitation to the ball for herself and her sister. In addition she told me that Sir John had kindly given them permission to remain with us for three or four weeks. I could hardly object since we had stayed at Grasmere for a few weeks, but I still find it difficult to come to terms with the habit of gentry inviting themselves to stay with relatives or friends. Still, that is the way society works, so I must accept it. I will certainly enjoy their company.

Miss Lucy wrote that they together with their maids and a footman expected to arrive on Friday 15th May, a week before the ball. Having read the letter twice, I went to visit Mrs Danvers in her office. She arose and curtseyed at my appearance and asked if she could be of help. I explained about the arrival of the party from Grasmere. She has already met my sisters by marriage and their maids, and she took the news quite calmly.

“Do you wish the Misses d'Anglais to be accommodated in the bedrooms and dressing room reserved for Sir John and Lady Elizabeth?” she asked.

“Yes please, Mrs Danvers, since Sir John and Lady Elizabeth are not coming on this occasion. I hope you can also find accommodation for their maids and the footman?”

“Yes of course, ma'am,” she replied. It is always good to know that I can rely upon her and Mr Anderson.

When I told Richard about the impending visit this evening, he laughed.

“It's quite a long way to come for a ball, but perhaps they have decided that there are no potential husbands in Grasmere, so they wish to try their luck in Oxford.”

I confess to feeling a little shocked over his flippant attitude and I'm sure it caused me to blush.

“What concerns me is that although I am only slightly older than them, as a married woman, I will be expected to be their chaperone while they are here,” I said.

“And I'm sure you will carry out your duties very competently, my dear,” he replied. There was really no reply to that so I kept silent.

Friday 15th May
Today the two Misses d'Anglais, together with their maids and a footman called Jacob who acted as their protector, arrived from Grasmere. I arranged for the coach to go to the local inn where the stagecoach arrives and wait for our guests. They were a couple of hours late which is not unusual. Richard and I had decided on a cold collation in place of dinner, which was sensible as it turned out. Both Lucy and Sarah were very excited to be in Oxford again, and I hope that they are not disappointed in their romantic endeavours. After a brief conversation with Richard and me, they were shown to their rooms where their maids, Daisy and Myrtle had already prepared to receive them. After their supper, they professed themselves to be very tired after their journey and I could appreciate that having so recently spent four days travelling for the most part on bumpy roads to Oxford.

Saturday 16th May.

Lucy and Sarah slept until a late hour which did not surprise me. I saw their footman Jacob today – a tall handsome man of some five and thirty years who Lucy told me last night had originally earned a living as a prize fighter. It seems that eventually he tired of being battered to make a living and sought a steady and less traumatic income and that is how he came to be a footman at Grasmere. I could well understand how he was sent with the four ladies to be their protector during their travels to Oxford. It would take a brave man to insult them or cause them distress with Jacob at hand.

Sunday 17th May
The four of us went to church, sitting in the d'Anglais pew. Afterwards we were greeted by the minister, Mr Irvine who had met my sisters on a previous visit, and he also welcome Richard and me back from our honeymoon.

Back at Marston House, Lucy and Sarah were anxious to know who our guests would be at the ball, so I showed them the list which Mama had kindly prepared for me.

“And how many of them accepted the invitation?” Lucy asked.

“All except Sir Edward Cholmondelay and his family,” I replied. (Incidentally, his name is pronounced 'Chumley') “They declined with regret due to a previous engagement.

“I've met Edgar Chumley before – he's no loss,” said Sarah. I tried to supress a smile. I've already learned that Sarah speaks her mind. I hope this will not impede her attempts to find a suitable husband.

Thursday 21st May
Today the ballroom was decorated with streamers and garlands of flowers in preparation for the ball. I was responsible for the design, so no doubt am biased, but Richard told me he thought it looks very fine. I really have had little to do with the arrangements as Mrs Danvers and Mr Anderson have organised the house for balls on many previous occasions and I think they involved me in the arrangements out of politeness.

Sunday 24th May.
I felt bad in that we did not attend church today, but perhaps I can be forgiven as last night was the ball and we were all up very late.

The day started early with breakfast and assurances from Mrs Danvers and Mr Anderson that everything was ready for the evening. We had a cold collation for lunch since we would not be eating again until very late in the evening. Mid afternoon, my sisters and I retired to our rooms to get ready for the evening, which we knew would take some hours. I know that Richard is somewhat amused by the amount of time a lady takes to prepare herself for a special occasion, but I have pointed out that we only do it so that we will not disgrace our male escort.

Marie and Anna were waiting for me when I arrived at my dressing room. First, I bathed in a warm scented bath, and then they set about dressing me. A man will never understand that preparing for a special occasion is part of the pleasure of that occasion. I had decided to wear the new gown which Lady Elizabeth d'Anglais had insisted on buying as a gift to me at Grasmere. It is a very beautiful and also has the advantage that it has not been seen in Oxford.

Marie worked her magic on my hair, with Anna watching closely and then she applied some makeup. When all was ready, I examined myself in a large mirror and was very pleased with the result. Marie was very complimentary on my appearance and when I asked Anna what she thought she said, “You look like a princess, ma'am.” I thanked them both for their work.

Ten minutes later, Richard knocked in the door. He looked very handsome indeed in his evening attire and was also most complimentary on my appearance.

“Without seeing any of our guests, I can assure you, my dear, that I will have the most beautiful woman in the room on my arm,” he said, and I blushed and curtseyed as he bowed low. What a gentleman he is!

To be continued.

up
68 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

the most beautiful woman in the room on my arm,

Lucy Perkins's picture

*sigh*
Isn't Richard a wonderful husband?
Thanks for another lovely chapter, Bronwen. I am really enjoying the Regency atmosphere that you have created, so much and I could imagine the painstaking preparations for a lady to attend a Ball if this magnitude. To be a wealthy woman in those times must have been very fine!
I think that I rather like your forthright "Sarah" . She seems to be a very strong character. I hope that we see more of her.
Lucy xx

"Lately it occurs to me..
what a long strange trip its been."

What A Coincidence!

joannebarbarella's picture

That the footman Martin decided on an additional theft and was stupid enough to hide the piece in his own belongings, to be fortuitously found there by Mr. Anderson.

How nice it was to be rich in those times. Leonora was fortunate indeed to be one of those families.

Resolution and Celebration

terrynaut's picture

I like how the issue with the footman was resolved. I would've liked to see more about the ball though. I wonder if maybe the next chapter will cover it? Will the two sisters find love? Will the ball be a success? Will there be cake? Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks and kudos (number 42).

- Terry

I wonder

Wendy Jean's picture

If someone set that foot man up? No one will miss seeing him gone.