Leonora's Journal Volume 1 Chapter 11

Printer-friendly version

Leonora's Journal Volume One

leather journal.jpg


The Sequel to 'Ring of Stone' by Bronwen Welsh


Copyright 2022


Chapter 11 Marie's wedding

Friday 6th March

We arose and had an early breakfast. Richard was to discuss certain aspects of managing the Grasmere estate with Sir John, against the time when he will inherit all its vast lands. Marie and I prepared for our excursion to Grasmere and were joined by the Misses d'Anglais. It was a fine sunny although still slightly chilly day, and being offered a choice by Sir John, we elected to take the barouche and enjoy the sunshine. The young ladies were most kindly condescending to Marie, making her feel at ease. I do like them very much.
(Note: the term 'condescending' did not have the present day negative connotation. In this instance it meant that the two young sisters were treating Marie as a social equal, not as a servant. JD)

barouche.jpg
A barouche

Upon our arrival in Grasmere, our carriage came to a halt in front of the ladies' shop. This would undoubtedly be pleasing to the proprietor as it showed that gentry was visiting his store. The footman opened the barouche door and assisted us to descend. Upon entering the shop, I met the proprietor Mr Washington who met me with a deep bow. I explained who I am since we had not met before. There was no need to introduce the Misses d'Anglais since he was already acquainted with them, and he greeted them with a deep bow too. I then explained that we were there particularly to purchase items for the trousseau of my maid Miss Morton who is shortly to marry. Mr Washington's assistants now stepped forward anxious to show her suitable items.

I took care not to hover over her and let her make her own decisions on what she would like to purchase. Meanwhile the Misses d'Anglais were busy examining the latest fashions, having been given permission by Sir John to buy a new gown each. I was anxious not to be profligate since Richard is most generous to me, but I did find a very pretty bonnet which I decided to purchase as I knew he would expect me to buy something. Marie had asked the young misses to assist her in the choice of a gown, and eventually one was made which I certainly approved of as most appropriate for the wedding of a slightly older woman. In addition, she purchased a very pretty nightgown, and some suitable undergarments and a new bonnet.

We passed a very pleasurable two hours in the shop, and when the final decisions were made, the proprietor could not but be pleased at the amount of our purchases. He will of course send the account to Grasmere Hall for payment. There is no question of our credit not being excellent.

I was feeling in need of some refreshment now, but I appreciated that there was a problem. The society in which I live has a rigid delineation between master and servant, and while it was quite proper for me to take my maid to a shop to purchase some items, it was not appropriate to take her to a tea shop or other place of refreshment to sit at the same table as us; that would have been a step too far. Neither did I feel I could ask her to sit on her own. Fortunately, Marie understood that as much as I did. The shop assistants helped load all our purchases into the barouche, and we returned to Grasmere Hall where some maids helped take all our purchases to the appropriate rooms.

I went to my bedroom where Marie helped me to change. She thanked me most profusely for the generosity of the number of purchases she was able to make, but I indicated that it was a pleasure to make a gift of them from Mr d'Anglais and me for her wedding, and that he was the person who most merited her thanks. I then went downstairs to the drawing room where I waited not a little impatiently for tea to be served and had to restrain myself from eating too many cakes. Richard returned from his excursion with Sir John at this time, so I arose and curtseyed to him, and he favoured me with a bow and then took a dish of tea (the household is still a little old-fashioned in their choice of crockery) while we discussed my visit to the village.

I returned to my dressing room and Marie appeared to help me dress for dinner. I had no doubt that while I was having tea she would have been laying out her purchases and delighting in them.

At dinner, the dowager Lady Ellen spoke directly to me but in a voice loud enough for all the table to hear: “I understand you took your maid shopping today, Leonora.” I immediately saw a red flag.

I mildly replied to her comment: “Yes indeed, Lady Ellen. Miss Lucy and Miss Sarah accompanied us, and Sir John was kind enough to make the barouche available to convey us to and from the village. The excursion was partly in order to purchase items for my maid's trousseau since she is soon to be married. She has been with me from the time I was born, and I value her service greatly.”

Lady Elizabeth came to my aid by saying: “And was your excursion successful Leonora?”

“Yes, ma'am. The proprietor showed us some very pretty new fashions which recently arrived, and we were able to purchase everything Marie needed. I confess that I went with the intention of buying nothing for myself, but I could not resist a new bonnet.”

She smiled. “Indeed. I must endeavour to make time to visit the shop myself, and I hope you will kindly accompany me?”

“With great pleasure, ma'am,” I replied.

She then turned her attention to the old lady: “Perhaps we might persuade you to accompany us, ma'am?” she said.

Lady Ellen shook her head. “My old bones do not cope with the current weather. Perhaps when it becomes warmer.”

I feel that I conducted myself well in that little joust, and I was very grateful that I had resisted the temptation to take Marie for lunch as I'm sure it it would not have met with general approbation.

Tuesday 10th March
Today my monthly courses began. I do suffer from cramps and Marie prepares a herbal remedy which to a degree alleviates my discomfort but nothing can totally negate it. I find it best to confine myself to my room and stay in bed for the greater part of the day, reading, sketching or just sleeping. Fortunately, after about four days the flow will cease and I will return to my usual self. I wondered what Richard's reaction will be when he was necessarily informed, but he was very understanding and offered to sleep in his room for the next few days. I know that he is anxious as any newly married man to have children and I hope he is not too disappointed. As for myself, I am in no great hurry as I would like to settle in as mistress of the house in Oxford before I turn my attention to children.

Richard's uncle David has sent his man over with a letter where he informs us that the Special Licence from the Archbishop has arrived already, and he will endeavour to make himself available to conduct the ceremony as soon as required. When I told Marie I said:” I will be sorry to miss your wedding, but you understand it will be impossible for me to stir abroad for the next four days. I'm sure that one of the ladies' maids will be able to look after me.” I was slightly shocked by her response.

“Begging your pardon, ma'am,” she said. “I have been looking after you since you were born as you remember.” She paused and blushed. “Well, of course you do not remember, but I assure you I am telling the truth. I should be ashamed to neglect my duty to you now. You and Mr d'Anglais have promised to honour us with your presence at our wedding, so a few days delay is of no consequence. I am sure Robert will agree when I tell him you are slightly indisposed, I will not say why as it would greatly embarrass him, so with your permission we will ask Mr d'Anglais if he can conduct the ceremony perhaps in six days’ time, on Monday the sixteenth.”

I confess that her demonstration of loyalty brought tears to my eyes which she kindly overlooked.

“In that case Marie, I can assure you that Mr d'Anglais and I will be very happy to attend your wedding, and I wish to thank you once again for your loyalty which is beyond anything I could ask for.”

'You are most welcome ma'am,” she replied and curtseyed.

I am pleased to say that Richard was as impressed as I am.

“I have been thinking to give the newly married couple some five days off to enjoy a honeymoon and make them a present of two guineas which will more than cover their expenses,” he said. “Does that meet with your approval?”

“Most certainly,” I replied. “I am sure that one of the ladies' maids will be made available to me for the short time they are away, and no doubt someone can temporarily replace Robert for you.”


Sunday 15th March

We attended morning service at St Oswald's, a delightful old church, sitting in the d'Anglais pew with Sir John and Lady Elizabeth. I noticed that Marie and Robert were also present in the congregation. I have never observed Marie to be particularly religious in the past, but perhaps she and Robert thought it expedient to attend since their wedding is due to be held tomorrow. Mr d'Anglais preached a good sermon and the small choir sang very well.

St Oswald's church exterior.jpg
St Oswald's church interior_0.jpg
St Oswald's church Grasmere

Monday 16th March
Today was Marie and Robert's wedding day. I arose early since Marie insisted on helping me to dress and I wanted her to have plenty of time for her own preparations. She had made friends with one of the junior maids called Anna, a pretty girl of about fifteen years, and had requested that Anna might be permitted to be her bridemaid. The request had been conveyed via Sir John and Mrs Owens, who approved her having half a day off without pay in order to fulfil this duty. I happen to know that Richard when he realised this, gave her two shillings which more than compensated her for the wages lost.

Robert had obtained the services of Charles, one of the footmen as Best Man, and him being under the authority of the butler, he was able to take the half day without loss of wages. Marie and Robert left with their attendants in a curricle to travel to St Oswald’s in preparation of the ceremony which was to take place at eleven o'clock. Richard, I and the two Misses d'Anglais left shortly afterwards in the barouche, it being a fine sunny day.

The party assembled at the church door where we were met by Mr David d'Anglais already being in his clerical robes. He escorted me and the two Misses d'Anglais into the church where we were settled in the front pew. He had very kindly organised his wife's cousin who is the church organist to play a suitable bridal march. Robert and Charles, the footman stood at the front of the church and Richard had very kindly agreed to escort Marie on his arm down the central aisle and give her away.in place of a family member. I must say that she looked very handsome in her new gown and bonnet, and Richard had taken care with his toilet and looked as handsome as ever. Anna as bridemaid and dressed in her best gown, walked down the aisle behind them and took charge of Marie's bouquet before the ceremony started.

The standard wedding ceremony from the Book of Common Prayer was read, the vows recited, and a ring produced by the Best Man was blessed and Robert placed it on Marie's finger with the usual vow of “With this ring I thee wed, with my body I thee worship, and with all my worldly goods I thee endow. In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen.” The couple then took communion. Mr d'Anglais read some excerpts from the scriptures concerning marriage and some prayers. Finally, the parish register entry was completed, with Richard and me acting as witnesses to the wedding. The couple the proceeded down the aisle and into the sunshine and the gaze of the curious women onlookers who always seem attracted to a wedding, mainly I believe to see the fashions and comment amongst themselves on them.

Marie and Robert then departed with our good wishes to walk the short distance to the inn from whence they would be taking a stagecoach to the town of Windermere on the lake of the same name. This was at Richard's suggestion as a place of holidaymakers with many fine walks, trips on the lake and other entertainments. It also had the advantage of not being too far from Grasmere. Richard had generously furnished the newly married couple with two guineas for their honeymoon, more than enough for them to have a very pleasant time.

With the departure of the happy couple, Mr d'Anglais kindly invited us to join him and his wife in the rectory for a light luncheon. Mrs d'Anglais is a pleasant enough conversationalist, but she did not appear at the wedding ceremony since I believe her to be incapable of condescending to anyone she considers as inferior, which of course includes servants. Mr d'Anglais on the other hand I'm sure is able to converse with people of any class, from nobility to the lowest servants, as indeed is necessary for a clergyman. After luncheon, we returned to the Hall.

With Marie's departure I was in want of a ladies' maid and much to her surprise, I spoke to Mrs Owens telling her that on a temporary basis I would like young Anna to act as my maid. I could see the shock on her face before she quickly masked it with her usual bland expression.

“Are you sure, ma'am?” she said. “She is a very junior maid and has little experience.”

“I am aware of that Mrs Owens, but she is a bright intelligent girl and I'm sure I can come to no harm in five days. It will give her some experience of what she will be expected to do if she seeks a permanent position as a ladies' maid.”

Both she and I knew that she could not refuse my request, so she contented her self by replying: “Very well, ma'am, but if she proves to be totally unsuitable, I hope you will permit me to replace her with someone with more experience.”

“Certainly, Mrs Owens, you have my word on that.”

So Anna appeared this evening to act as my maid. She was naturally rather nervous, but I treated her gently and prompted her in what she should be doing, and soon we were getting along very well indeed. I will be very surprised if there is any need to replace her. She perhaps curtseys over much, but that is better than not enough.


Tuesday 17th March.

Lady Elizabeth seems content in the winter months to spend her days in the drawing room attending to her needlework, occasionally entertaining friends and very occasionally returning their visits. For myself, I have been anxious to see some of the beautiful scenery which Richard has told me about. Sir John has kindly put the barouche at our disposal on any fine day that we require it, and we have been to some lovely places including the estate itself which has some very fine views. I confess myself amazed at the size of the estate, which contains many small, rented cottages and families who farm sheep and cattle. As I understand it the estate provides a very good income. I have taken my drawing pad and pencils along on each occasion that we travelled abroad, and made quick sketches from which, with my memory, I hope to produce finished drawings or water colours. We are truly having a wonderful honeymoon.

Today we visited the town of Ambleside at the northern end of Lake Windermere, and Richard took me to view the Roman fort, the remains of which are just outside the town. Lines of stones mark out the various buildings and rooms, but the vast majority of the stonework was removed in the years following the Romans' retreat, as a readily available source of dressed stone for new buildings, and they can still be seen in some of the houses in the town.

Ambleside-Roman-fort (1).jpeg
Ambleside Roman Fort

Wednesday 18th March
Today the weather has turned, with low cloud and rain for most of the day. While Richard spent much of the time with Sir John discussing the running of the estate with all its vast lands and tenant farmers, I spent the day in the drawing room in the company of Lady d'Anglais, much of it in companiable silence. I feel certain that she approves of me as her son's wife and that is a great comfort to me.

I wrote a number of letters in reply to those I have received in the last week or so, including one from Papa, I think the first I ever received, acknowledging receipt of the ushabti doll and saying he was happy to take care of it until I should want it returned. I must make it clear to him when I return to Oxford that that day will never come, and I shall be very pleased if he would keep it for as long as he wishes. If he ever insists in returning it than I must find a suitable museum which will enjoy displaying it.

Mama sent me a very nice letter telling me all the news of Oxford, and in reply I told her of Marie's marriage to Robert, which I'm sure will come as a surprise to her. She enclosed a small but very sweet note written by Emma in her childish hand, and I have decided to reply to her in a separate letter – perhaps the first one she has ever received, telling her of all we have been doing. I'm sure an account of Marie's wedding will greatly interest her. While I was in London, I bought her another doll to add to her collection which I'm sure she will enjoy because she is a really sweet feminine little girl. On the subject of dolls, I will certainly not mention the ushabti doll, and since it will be in Papa's study which she is forbidden to enter, I'm sure she will not be aware of it. I did tell her that I miss her and look forward to seeing her again very soon.


Thursday 19th March.

Today's weather was fine, and we went on another outing in the barouche. As we were passing through the village of Grasmere, I saw a tall thin gentleman who looked vaguely familiar and I asked Richard if he recognised him.

“Oh that is Mr Wordsworth the poet. He, his wife and sister and some children live in the Old Rectory, opposite the church. I understand that they are not happy there as it is cold and damp, and they are seeking another suitable house to rent. I wonder that I did not think to mention him before, knowing how much pleasure you had in meeting Miss Austen. Would you like to meet them?”

“Yes indeed,” I replied. “I have read some of his poetry and think it very fine. Is he a sociable person?”

Richard smiled. “I'm sure he would not refuse to meet the daughter-in-law of Sir John d'Anglais. I will write to him and seek an invitation to visit.”

“I would like that very much,” I replied.

To be continued.

up
78 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Another…..

……enthralling episode, I’m thoroughly enjoying this series very much. So much detail researched from this era, lot’s of work and it’s paying off.
Many thanks.
Stay safe!

T

Probably Should Have Asked Sooner...

...since the name has been part of both stories. But how does the d'Anglais family pronounce the name?

Eric

I Would Guess

joannebarbarella's picture

Don-glay. Although maybe the sentiment of the English in the Napoleonic Wars could modify it to something like Dan-glass. Phone a friend!

Thank you Joannebarbarella,

Thank you Joannebarbarella, You are right - the name is pronounced 'Dan-glay' or 'Don-glay'. I have no idea where I dreamed it up from. It's a French version of 'English' - and perhaps means they were descended from a Norman family dating back to the 1066 invasion when so many of them came over to England.
Bron

Wedding Day

terrynaut's picture

It's another wedding, and it's fairly simple but sweet. I loved it. I'm so pleased with how well Marie and Robert are treated -- Anna as well.

The clothes shopping sounded interesting. I would've liked to hear more about what was available but I'm content.

Thanks and kudos (number 39).

- Terry

Whether or not they have children

Wendy Jean's picture

Is not very much under their control, given the birth controls of that time. Somehow I don't see abstinence being part of that equation.

Grasmere in March..

Lucy Perkins's picture

Is by far the finest time of year. Mr Wordsworth's Daffodils will be blooming in Dora's Field, and the lambs will be gambolling in the fields.
Oh Bronwen you paint such a lovely story that I can see it all in my mind. I love that Leonora wrote to Emma separately. Such a wonderful thing to do for her sweet younger sister.
Another wonderful chapter.
Lucy xx

"Lately it occurs to me..
what a long strange trip its been."