Leonora's Journal Volume 1 Chapter 19

Printer-friendly version

Leonora's Journal Volume One

leather journal.jpg


The Sequel to 'Ring of Stone' by Bronwen Welsh


Copyright 2022


Chapter 19 Christmas 1812

Sunday 23rd November
This is 'Stir it up' Sunday – the day for traditionally making Christmas puddings which have to mature before being eaten on Christmas Day. Mrs Walker and her staff were very busy in the kitchen. I did not disturb them. I have heard two explanations for the name – one being stirring of the puddings, and the other derived from the main prayer for the day which starts “‘Stir up, we beseech thee, O Lord, the wills of thy faithful people…’

Sunday 6th December
It is St Nicholas's Day – the official start of the Christmas season. Richard and I exchanged small gifts, five lace handkerchiefs for me and some leather gloves for him.

Wednesday 16th December
We received a letter from Richard's Uncle David in Grasmere. After assuring us that the family were all well, he then went on to inform us of the death of Thomas Wordsworth, son of William and Mary and only six years old, who had contracted measles which led to an inflammation of the lungs. There being no treatment, he rapidly succumbed, died on 1st of December and was buried on the 5th, next to his three-year-old sister, near the river and under the hawthorn tree. It distresses me so much to think that in years to come I am sure there will be the means to treat such diseases of the young.

I confess I could read no more, being blinded by tears. I felt so sorry for William and Mary – to have lost two children in one year is a tragedy beyond belief. Pray God they lose no more. I must write to them of course, but what can one say to ease such grief? I do not wish to sound selfish, but I confess that in my present condition, the fact that a young child's life can be so precarious makes me feel very nervous.

Friday 18th December
I wrote to the Wordsworths today, just a brief letter but I hope they will understand how very sorry I am for their loss, in fact their two losses this year. It is one that they will always remember with sorrow. I do hope they move out of that terrible house soon. To me it seems laden with doom.

Saturday 19th December
After hearing of the Wordsworth's terrible losses, it seems almost shameful to be turning my attention to the celebration of Christmas. I have discussed with Richard what presents we should give. The Fanshaws are to pay us a visit on Sunday, which is kind of them since I feel too advanced to pay visits until after my confinement. For the four young women, we have some beautiful silk material which I'm sure they will use in their sewing. There is a pair of fine leather gloves for Freddie and lace gloves for Lady Susan. I do hope the gifts are well received.

Sunday 20th December.
The house is now decorated with garlands, and I mentioned to Richard that we are in want of a Christmas tree. He looked at me in a puzzled fashion.

“A Christmas tree? What is that?” he asked.

“It's a fashion that Queen Charlotte has introduced,” I replied. “She is from Germany where it is quite a tradition to have a small fir tree in the house and decorate it with garlands and various trinkets, then place the Christmas presents beneath it for distribution on Christmas Day.”

“That sounds like a charming idea; we could make it our tradition,” replied Richard. “I will ask our Head Gardener, Mr Larkin if he can find a suitable tree.”

This afternoon, Lucy and Freddie, Sarah and Lady Susan paid us a Christmas visit. It was delightful to entertain them, and our gifts were very well received. In return, they provided me with some suitable clothing for the new baby, some simple loose-fitting gowns which are suitable for both boys and girls in their early years.

Monday 21st December St Thomas's Day
Mrs Danvers has reminded me that this is the day that local widows and other poor people traditionally go “a'thomasing”, visiting the houses of the wealthier neighbourhood who will give them money or food, often wheat which has become very expensive. Thanks to the Napoleonic wars, despite it being forbidden for soldiers to marry, a number do so and have left widows and sometimes children behind in dire straits since there is no pension for the ordinary soldier. In normal times, I would have been the one to entertained them to tea, but in my present condition that is not practical. Mrs Danvers will take my place since there are no other suitable women in the house now that Lucy and Sarah have gone. She will make the gifts on behalf of Richard and myself.

Tuesday 22nd December
Mr Anderson, the butler approached me this morning to announce that Mr Larkin has acquired a six-foot fir tree for us. I had to explain to him what the purpose was. I suspect he thinks it's a strange fancy of an expectant woman, but that does not concern me. I do think that the idea coming from royalty impressed him. We arranged that it will be placed in earth in a half of a large barrel and placed in the drawing room. The barrel will be wrapped in pretty coloured materials. Bunches of sweetmeats in papers, almonds and raisins will be hung from the branches and the tree will be illuminated with small wax candles. Richard has agreed that a celebration party will be held for the children of our staff on Christmas Eve, and we purchased skipping ropes for the boys, small wax dolls for the young girls and muslin for the older girls from which a new frock can be made, together with some pretty ribbon and sashes. These will be wrapped in coloured paper, the names of the children inscribed thereon. And then placed at the base of the tree. The older children who can read will find their presents and help the younger ones who cannot yet read, to locate theirs.

regency-Christmas-tree.jpg

Thursday 24th December.
The party for the children was held this afternoon. Unfortunately, due to my condition I felt that I should not appear, but my parents and Emma kindly came to supervise the event. After the gift presentations, there was a splendid tea with all manner of sweet things that children love so much. Mamma told me afterward that it was a great success. The location of the presents caused much merriment. Another tradition has been born!

In the evening, Lucy, Sarah, Eloise and Phoebe visited us, together with Richard's cousin Cecily. We enjoyed dinner together and then exchanged gifts which mainly consisted of pretty materials, ribbons and shawls, which all women love. They were very impressed with our 'royal' Christmas tree, and I suspect one might be appearing in Studleigh Park soon.

Friday 25th December – Christmas Day
Richard and I awoke early and wished each other a Merry Christmas. Marie appeared soon afterward, and we exchanged greetings with her. I confess I did not feel very well and stayed in bed until after noon when I felt well enough to arise. Marie, as she always is, was most solicitous for my welfare. Anna, too, has become a very efficient lady's maid. I am very pleased with her progress. Both Marie and Anna were given gifts of money to express my thanks for the good care they take of me. Anna helped me to rise and get dressed. I confess I will be relieved when I am finally confined and relieved of this little creature inside me, who seems to be kicking more and more. Perhaps he or she is anxious to enter the world?

We had a light lunch early so that the staff could enjoy a Christmas Dinner in their dining room. Richard visited them briefly to wish them a Merry Christmas and thank them for their service during the year. On Boxing Day, each will receive a bonus payment as a mark of our appreciation He did not stay long, not wishing to interfere with their celebrations. Some of the staff who have relatives in Oxford or nearby have been given the day off to visit them. The other staff will receive another day off so that every one is treated fairly.

To my surprise, Mama, Papa and my sister Emma paid us a visit during the afternoon. We exchanged some gifts. Emma has now outgrown new dolls and instead was given a gift of some pretty muslin for a gown, some ribbons for her bonnets, and a sash. She is getting quite the young lady, and this is reflected in her dress. How quickly she is growing up!

By early evening I think it was obvious to our visitors that I was getting very tired and they diplomatically made their farewells. I retired soon afterwards.

Saturday 26th December Boxing Day.
This day it is traditional to give servants the day off and also boxed gifts. Some of the staff who have relatives in Oxford or nearby will visit them, taking their boxes with them.. A few of the staff have volunteered to stay on duty and will receive another day off in lieu, so that everyone is treated fairly. We will be dining on a cold collation to make things as easy as possible for the servants who remain.

It was quite cold today, and in the afternoon, snow began to fall lightly from a leaden sky. I spent time looking at the scene of the garden slowly turning white, while enjoying a warm drawing room and hot chocolate to drink. Richard is most solicitous in his care of me. I am a very lucky woman.

(For the next month, Leonora did little but rest, read and do her needlework. She seems very aware that the time is coming when she will be delivered of her child. JD)

To be continued

up
76 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Stir it Up Day..

Lucy Perkins's picture

I am, as always, in awe of your research on this Bronwen, but I love the idea that there was a day called "Stir it up day". I am frequently accused of doing just that, by those who love me!
You have created a wonderful image if Regency Christmas, and I love that Leonora was responsible for popularising Queen Charlotte's tree idea. It's almost as if she had encountered Christmas trees before somewhere.
I was interested that skipping ropes were considered "boy's" presents too. Skipping was always a fun thing to do as a child, but definitely frowned upon for boys, for whom chasing a ball was the only suitable.pastime
Thanks for a really great story. Lucy xxx

"Lately it occurs to me..
what a long strange trip its been."

Skipping Ropes

joannebarbarella's picture

Even in my childhood 70 odd years ago skipping had become an occupation for girls. Aint it funny how times and fashions change.

And now we have a simple vaccination to combat measles. I remember suffering with it at about the age of eight and it was no fun.

It is probably just as well,

Wendy Jean's picture

That Leona has no idea what her immediate future will bring.

An old tradition, when it was new..

Customs change over time, and a new understanding of things that have been so commonly accepted... Is Richard amused with the ideas that Leonora thinks of? He is a sensitive and caring man. I enjoyed this chapter immensely.
Jessie C

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

Happy Christmas!

terrynaut's picture

Thanks for another chapter. Hearing about the Wordsworth family losing a second child was quite sad but the rest is nice. I find it always nice to read about Christmas time since I think the sentiment of giving should be all year long.

Thanks and kudos (number 50).

- Terry

I always like Leonora's little hints of the future

Julia Miller's picture

Like commenting on the death of her friend's children to childhood diseases, saying she hopes they will be able to prevent these in the future, knowing full well they will.

Thats a new one.

I have read many versions of the origin of the christmas tree. The christian need to kill something to celebrate the birth of their god has always perplexed me.

ShadowCat