Leonora's Journal Volume 2 Chapter 9

Printer-friendly version

Leonora's Journal Volume Two

leather journal.jpg


The Sequel to 'Ring of Stone' and 'Leonora's Journal Volume One' by Bronwen Welsh


Copyright 2023 &2024

Chapter 29 Christmas 1813 and the New Year of 1814
Friday 3rd December

Lucy has written to inform me that she will request of Freddie that they hold a New Year’s Eve ball at Studleigh Park. All is well with young Freddie and he grows apace.

Sunday 5th December
We attended church this morning, and the Rev’d Irvine gave a fine sermon, although I confess my mind wandered during his dissertation. I have been thinking about what gifts I should give to my Grasmere relatives and it suddenly occurred to me that since I had produced a tolerably lifelike sketch of Richard during the time that his portrait was being painted, I could produce a likeness of the two grandchildren for Sir John and Lady Elizabeth, with a second copy for Lady Ellen and further copies for my Mamma and Pappa, Lucy and ourselves. Having discussed the matter with Richard later in the day, he gave me his enthusiastic approbation. If I start as soon as possible, I will have time to complete the sketches before I am distracted by all the arrangement of Christmas and being hostess to our guests. I will commence my endeavours by sketching Elizabeth since she is so readily available to me, and Anna is always most happy to hold her while I sketch.

Thursday 9th December.
My first sketch of Elizabeth has been shown to Richard who was greatly impressed with the likeness. I begged him to be totally honest with me, since I feared that his kindness might cause him to offer a compliment where one was not warranted, but he insisted that he was being totally honest. Since I wish to keep one for Richard and I, I will now make copies for Sir John and Lady Elizabeth and also for Lady Ellen. In addition I have decided to make a copy for Anna who is the best nurserymaid I could have wished for – it will come as a big surprise for her. I have also written to Lucy asking her permission which I have no doubt will be given, to make a sketch of Young Frederick who is now nearly five weeks old, explaining that there will be a copy for her, her parents and also Lady Ellen.

Friday 10th December
I received a response from Lucy, who gives my request her and Frederick’s enthusiastic approbation, and suggesting that I visit next Monday since time is of the essence. I am working hard at making two more copies of Elizabeth, and will take the original for Lucy and Sarah to see so that they will be assured of my competence. Meanwhile, I have written to Mama about my newly established tradition of entertaining the children of our staff around the Christmas Tree, with afternoon tea of cakes and sweetmeats and also a gift each. This year it will take place on Monday 20th December, and I have invited her and Emma to attend, with a view to Mama assisting me as hostess. I did ask if Emma, who is a remarkably good performer on the pianoforte for her age, would be willing to play for carols and dances, but only if she is amenable to the idea.

Monday 13th December
Today I visited Studleigh Park, taking my sketching equipment and also Elizabeth and Anna with me. I was pleased that they were very complimentary regarding my sketch of Elizabeth and begged to be given a copy themselves – more work I fear but at least they are not in a hurry for it. My priority now is to have the sketches ready to give to my parents-in-law during their visit. In fact they will be one of the presents they receive from us.

I was able to spend about two hours sketching. Much of the time, baby Freddie was asleep, but upon discussion it was decided that in the sketch he would have his eyes open. I was indeed ready for afternoon tea at the conclusion of my endeavours. I have decided that art is hard work! At least Freddie’s parents seemed quite satisfied with the likeness I have captured, although I will be taking the sketches home to produce the final product. I have a few busy days ahead of me.

Friday 17th December
Sir John and Lady Elizabeth arrived this afternoon after an uneventful journey. As usual, a good proportion of the staff, including Mrs Danvers and Mr Anderson, with myself at the head of the steps were ready to greet them with bows and curtseys, me included. Mrs Danvers and Mr Anderson showed them to their rooms which had been prepared some days in advance and left nothing to be required. Richard arrived home as soon as he could in order to greet his parents, and we had the usual meal of cold meats which they have come to appreciate after a long journey. Tomorrow will be a different matter. Our visitors retired early after the tiring four days of travel.

Saturday 18th December.
This afternoon, Lucy, Sarah, Lady Susan, Eloise and Phoebe and the Fredericks senior and junior paid us a visit for afternoon tea. I could tell that his grandparents were thrilled to meet their new grandson, although of course they feel it necessary to show restraint. My sketches are finished but I discretely handed them, wrapped in paper, via one of the maids, to the coachman so that they can be presented on Christmas Day as a surprise. Much to my own surprise, my brother John paid us a visit and naturally this made a certain member of the company exceedingly happy. I’m sure her blushes did not escape the notice of Lady Elizabeth!

Freddie invited us all to a New Year’s Eve ball at Studleigh Park, an invitation we were all happy to accept.

Monday 20th December
Today was the day of entertaining the children of our staff and it was a most successful occasion. Mamma kindly assisted me in my role as hostess, and Emma kindly played the pianoforte most beautifully for the singing of carols and the dances. She is a very talented player even though still very young, and I know I shall never attain the standards that she will achieve. The children enjoyed their tea of sweet jellies, cakes and custards and then the games, carols and dances. Before they left, they were each presented with a gift. There was also a special present for Emma of some yards of very fine muslin for making a new gown. I have to say that she appears more mature every time I see her, and is rapidly becoming a young woman. I would suggest that she will break some hearts when she is older, but she is such a sweet-natured girl that I doubt she could do that.

Tuesday 21st December St Thomas’s Day
Today is the traditional day for the poor of Oxford to visit those of us who are privileged, for donations of money and often such items as wheat which is now very expensive. It is known as ‘a-Thomasing’, and unlike last year, I was able to attend, although I asked Mrs Danvers to assist me in distributing the gifts. I did invite Lady Elizabeth to attend but she said that as the mistress of the house, it was appropriate for me to attend, not her. The poor people are very grateful for our help and I confess I almost feel guilty for having so much when they have so little. What we give them is the very least we can do. It made me think that we should have another musical evening in the New Year, in order to again raise funds to help the poor, since the previous one was such a success.

Friday 24th December Christmas Eve
We had dinner and after making sure that everything is ready for the morrow, we retired early to bed.

Regency Christmas dining room lightened.jpg

Saturday 25th December Christmas Day.
We arose early and attended the Christmas service at St Nicholas’ church where the Rev’d Henry Irvine preached a fine though not extensive sermon on the birth of Our Lord, being aware of the need for families to return home for the secular celebrations. My parents have a very cordial relationship with Sir John and Lady Elizabeth, so we invited them, Emma and John to Christmas luncheon with us. Presents were exchanged, and we had a very pleasant afternoon. Our daughter Elizabeth is nearly one and able to stand and with a guiding hand in both of hers, is taking tentative steps. Her Aunty Emma took great delight in guiding her with uncertain steps as she ‘walked’ from one person to another enjoying the attention. It is true that young children can be a great source of entertainment purely by being themselves. Now that Emma has grown accustomed to the fact that she is an aunt, albeit a very young one she takes great interest in her niece and always enquires after her if she is not present.

Sunday 26th December Boxing Day
As is the custom, the majority of the servants enjoyed a day off from work, apart from a few who offered to remain at the house and take another day off in lieu. We dined very simply in order to make things as easy as possible for those who remained. Yesterday being quite busy, we spent the day relaxing, Richard catching up on some legal work and I on my sketching and painting, completing the pictures of baby Elizabeth ready to give to Mama and Pappa, and one each of Baby Frederick for Lady Elizabeth and Sir John, also one for Lady Ellen. When each picture is an original, it is not easy to make them all exactly alike, but I did my best. Perhaps a time will come when it will be possible to somehow make exact copies of an original picture. It was very cold today but did not snow.

Saturday 1st January 1814 New Year’s Day
Yesterday evening was the New Year’s Eve ball at Studleigh Park, and what a magnificent occasion it was! All the ladies wore such pretty gowns, and I wore my newest gown which Richard had insisted I buy as part of my Christmas present. I confess that I thought it exceedingly extravagant, but his comments when he saw me were so very complimentary and loving that I was lost for words, which is not like me at all. As usual, Richard looked so handsome in his evening dress. I confess that my love for him grows with every passing year.

The whole family was there, Sir John and Lady Elizabeth, my Mama, Pappa, brother John and Emma in a new gown and looking so pretty and grown up. A very fine orchestra had been hired for the occasion, and the musical playing was exceptionally fine. I must suggest to Richard that we obtain their details for our next ball. I cannot deny that I love to dance, especially with the handsomest man in the room, and also with my brother John when he is not otherwise engaged!

As custom requires, John danced his two brackets of dances with Sarah, and it was obvious to every lady in the room and maybe even some of the gentlemen that they have feelings for each other. It certainly didn’t escape the notice of Lady Elizabeth!

Taking advantage of a period of time when we were seated together without neighbours on either side, she said to me: “I cannot help noticing that my daughter and your brother seem excessively enamoured of each other.”

I was ready with my reply. “I am sure that is so madam, but they are sensible young people (this about my brother who is older than me!), and now that he is called to the bar, he is able to earn fees for his work. His Head of Chambers, Sir Garfield Livingstone K.C., paid him the great compliment of offering him a position in Chambers next year. Sir Garfield’s reputation is such that many important briefs come his way, and without a doubt John will start to build his fortune. He is of course cognisant of the fact that he cannot make any offer to Sarah until he is sufficiently established to be able to provide for her in a manner to which she is accustomed. She understands this and has agreed to await his improved financial position.”

Lady Elizabeth smiled at me and said “I appreciate your candour, my dear. Your brother has always seemed to me to be an eminently sensible young man and your revelation confirms it. I must tell you something you will undoubtedly find out for yourself, your children will always be your children no matter how old they and you are, and so you are always concerned for their wellbeing”

I smiled and nodded. I am sure she is correct. I must also record that she thanked me very much for the portraits of young Frederick, and expressed her delight in receiving them. She is sure that Lady Ellen will be very grateful for me thinking of sending her one.

Just at that moment, who should appear in front of us but John, looking very dashing in his dinner suit.

“Excuse me, Lady Elizabeth, but I was wondering if my sister would care to take a turn around the dance floor?”

Being a married woman I can only dance with my husband or else a close relative, and Richard was temporarily engaged in a discussion with Frederick.

“I’m sure she would Mr Bolton, but please do me the courtesy of sitting beside me for a few moments,” said Lady Elizabeth.

John smiled and complied with her request. It did not surprise me in the least that she set about interrogating him about his future plans, using the information I had provided to her, and John’s replies matched those that I had given. I did my best to appear not to be listening.

When she was satisfied with the result of her enquiries, Lady Elizbeth said “You sister has been very patient, please do not let me detain you any longer.”

John arose and bowed to her before stepping to me and offering his hand. I stood up and he bowed and I curtseyed. Strictly speaking that was not necessary amongst close family members, but we rather enjoy the conventions of polite society. As we walked to the dance floor, John said: “I hope I handled the interrogation well?”

“Very well,” I replied, “Since you told her exactly what I had already imparted to her.”

John raised an eyebrow and smiled. “Well it seemed to be well received.”

“I’m sure she likes you, and that is important, since when you do finally make Sarah an offer, despite it being officially Sir John who decides if it should be accepted or not, I can assure you that in the case of a daughter, it is her mother who has the greatest say.”

John smiled. “I sometimes still think of you as my little sister, whereas in fact you are a mature married woman as well as being a mother, and you know a great deal more about society than I do!”

Now it was my turn to blush, and we both laughed, however I became serious when John told me that he had to return to London in a few days.

“Hilary term starts on 12th January this year,” he said by way of explanation which meant nothing to me at all. Seeing the puzzled look on my face he continued: “There are four legal terms each year, Hilary, Easter, Trinity and Michaelmas, with a few weeks break in between. Hilary it seems is named after St Hilary of Poitiers, born about the fourth century, whose feast day in 16th January. He is said to be a patron saint of lawyers. There is a very important case starting on the 12th – Sir Garfield will be leading and I will be his junior”

I gasped. “Does that mean you will not receive any emolument?”

John laughed but not is a cruel manner. “This is a very important case involving the aristocracy, I’m sorry I can’t say more, but yes, I have put in a great deal of time preparing for it, and I will be well compensated for it, as Sir Garfield will rely upon me to provide him with information as required. If we win, it will reflect very well upon me.”

I smiled at my brother. “In that case I will pray that your contribution is a great success.” At that moment the music started again and we joined the dance. I made a mental note to check the Times newspaper after the case started on 12th January in case there was a report of the case, and perhaps even a mention of John’s name.

I should mention that my young sister Emma danced with young Mortimer Cholmondelay after they gained permission from Mamma. Goodness me, she is now approaching eleven years old and is quite the young lady. Nevertheless, she retired to bed at ten o’clock, accompanied by her nurse. Freddie has promised to return her home tomorrow.

As is common practice for New Year’s Eve balls, it continued until dawn, when breakfast was served for those who wished to partake of it. Our coach arrived at seven o’clock to take us back to Marston House, and to bed.

Tuesday 4th January
The weather is very cold. I was sitting in the drawing room this afternoon with Elizabeth playing with her dolls at my feet. She is an endless source of joy and entertainment. I was surprised to hear a single horse’s hooves on the driveway. Richard had gone to his office on an urgent matter, but I did not expect him back so soon. To my surprise a maid entered and told me that my brother John was at the door requesting admittance. Of course I rose to greet him when he entered the room and we embraced.

“I thought you had already returned to London, John,” I said.

“I return tomorrow but I am on my way to Studleigh Park and Marston is on the way so decided I must bid you a temporary farewell.”

He looked somewhat troubled and I asked him what was the matter.

“I must bid farewell to Sarah for a few months and it will be a difficult meeting I’m sure. What can I do to alleviate her distress? Can you help me? Perhaps I should send her some jewelry when I return to London?”

“Of course she will be distressed and there may be tears, but there is something you can offer her and which will cost you little.” I said. Responding to his enquiring look, I continued “Sarah will probably write to you several times a week, it’s what we ladies tend to do, but my suggestion is that you promise to write to her every week and be sure to keep your promise. It does not matter if the letters are brief, they will still show you are thinking of her and taking the time out of your busy day to prove it. She will treasure your letters and keep them forever. They will mean more to her than any gold or jewels.”

John smiled. “As I told you at the ball, I still think of you as my little sister, forgetting that you are a grown woman and very wise.”

I could not prevent myself from blushing: “It takes a woman to understand what another woman wants and as for being your little sister, believe me John, that is my privilege and always will be. Now, much though I enjoy your company, there is a young lady who is impatiently awaiting your arrival at Studleigh Park, so it would be selfish of me to delay you any longer.”

John and I stood up and we embraced again.

“I will write to you occasionally too, and I hope that you might find the time to send me a few lines but please always make Sarah your first priority,” I said.

“I promise you that I will. And I look forward to seeing you in a few months.”

With that he bowed, and I curtseyed and he took his leave. I feel very pleased that I was able to offer him some good advice.

Friday 14th January
A letter arrived today from my brother John in London, informing me that his first major case as junior to Sir Garfield is going well and he had been complemented by the great man himself. I have been checking the law list in 'The Times' and deduced which is the case in which he is involved. I can now understand why he had to be discreet about the people involved. He tells me that it is so cold that the Thames has frozen over and a Frost Fair has been set up on the ice. That must be wonderful to see. He tells me that he is writing to Sarah every week and she sends him at least two letters to his one. I am not surprised, but I know that she will be thrilled to receive his correspondence.

Monday 1st February
A letter arrived from John today informing me that they have won the case. It seemed to have taken a long time to reach a conclusion. He further informs me that Sir Garfield was very pleased with his contribution to its success and he will receive a most satisfactory fee for his services. I will write and congratulate him. No doubt he has written to Sarah to inform her too.

To be continued

up
39 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Enjoying the Journal

terrynaut's picture

I continue to enjoy this story. I especially like the idea of the sketches. What a wonderful way to record memories since they didn't have photography back then.

I like the brief bits of romance. I'm watching John and Sarah with great interest. I look forward to when they can be together.

Thanks and kudos (number 11).

- Terry

Totally immersed

And no memory of her actual past. Just as well, no paradoxes today

Loved the "interrogation"

Lucy Perkins's picture

"Since you told her exactly what I had already imparted to her.” That had me in stitches!
plus ca change, plus c"est la meme chose
A lovely seasonal episode.
Lucy xxx

"Lately it occurs to me..
what a long strange trip its been."

Chapter 9 sounds so intimate...

Bronwen, I feel I'm hearing your thoughts as I read, that I'm eavesdropping as you and John visit. What a gift it would be to get pictures as such as presents. Learning the customs of the day is intriguing as well. She will treasure the drawing and painting of her daughter's picture.

Hugs, Jessie C

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

Delightfully Personal

joannebarbarella's picture

To receive pictures drawn by a friend or relative would be very special. None of the commercialism of our modern-day Christmas involved, only time and talent.