"Off the Ground" Chapter 4 "I Owe it All to You"

Printer-friendly version
I Owe it All to You

The bus stopped at a truck stop somewhere between the town of Rock Bottom and Nopeville—only because Chad stated that if we didn’t stop then he would have to test what part of the restroom was actually broken. So, there we were, in a place that had a diner attached to the store where the waitresses ended all of their sentences with the word “hon”.
I walked a few steps in front of Melissa among the giggling of several girls as I tried to cover my hands but then thought, “screw it, they’re red,” and walked through the store to the restroom.
I was about to pull on the door when a very large and bearded man opened the door from the inside, nearly knocking me over.
"Sorry, miss, you don’t want to go in there.”
I was just about to take offense when Melissa grabbed my arm. “He’s right, Lin, come on.”
“Melissa!” I stammered as she flung me into the open door of the ladies room. “What in the hell are you doing?”
“Get in the rear stall, now!”
I ran down to the last one, scampered in as soon as the door locked, other members of the squad came in. I did what little business I had to do and just sat there, stranded, because if I opened the door and walked out there would be so many shrieks and screams one would assume someone was being murdered…which would have been me as soon as Andrea or Mrs. Humphrey found out.

A part of me wanted to yell a few choice words at Melissa and the other part was amazed at how clean the floor was.
“Coast is clear. C’mon and open the lock!”
“Well, you ordered me in here,” I replied as I opened the door and looked at face in the mirror. “Do I have lipstick on?”
“Yes, so you see, it wouldn’t have been a good idea to go into the men’s room. That one guy would have freaked if you stormed past him.”
“Next question.”
“I already know what it is, but go ahead.”
“Why do I have lipstick on?”
While I never actually tired putting lipstick on, I had always wondered about it. Melissa had threatened to put some on me and it appears she was able to do so. At least she didn’t soak my hands in water…that would have been a disaster of Niagara Falls proportions.
“Because it looks good on you. We need to get back to the bus.”

“Why, so you can put my hair in pigtails?”
“Don’t tempt me,” Melissa replied as she opened the door, saw the coast was clear, and then flung me out of the restroom by arm. I was about an inch away form topping over a display filled with shot glasses. It would have been a great YouTube video.
Melissa purchased a Dr. Pepper and a water for me and we high-tailed it to the bus.
“We are this close to leaving you here!” Andrea yelled as she held up a finger…her middle one.
“Point made, Andrea,” Melissa said with a bow as we got back on the bus. Unfortunately, now that we were the center of attention, everyone on the bus could see the beginning of said make-up session. I wanted to turn around and just stay at the truck stop, have a slice of cherry pie and maybe a cup of coffee; but, Melissa would not let me. She simply shoved me past everyone until we got to our seat.
I quickly sat down, got out my Zune, slammed on my headphones and closed my eyes. I didn’t want to see all the eyes staring at me. Melissa nudged my shoulder.
“I’m not talking to you right now,” I whispered.
“Well, I’m talking yo you,” she replied as she moved my left headphone off of my ear. “So stop the music.”
I paused the song, opened my eyes and took off my headphones.
The bus lurched forward and we were on our way once again. It wasn’t the best place or time to have second thoughts about everything but it in my mind it was the best time to have a mid-teenage life crisis…especially when I had on nail polish and lipstick.
“Listen, no one is laughing at you. Well, maybe Chad and Mike, I’m not sure if they evens saw anything, but, everyone else thinks it either impressive or are just for it. You do your thing.”
“Melissa, this is ‘your thing’, not mine,” I waved my fingers at her as I said it.
“You seem comfortable with it.”
“Melissa, I—”
“—What? You look very cute. Anyone ever tell you that?”
“No.”
“Not even this Toni girl?”
“No, they didn’t state it that way.”
“They?”
I threw my head back against the seat and closed my eyes again.
“Did he say you were cute?”
My eyes flashed open and I stared at her like a deer in headlights.
“Was he cute? Go ahead, let’s hear it.”
If ever there was time to stand up, throw the switches to release the windows, jump, tuck and roll out of that bus, that was it. I could feel the sweat on my face and arms. Melissa was this close to outing me when I didn’t even know I was actually locked in the metaphorical closet.
“You know, if he saw you now, he’d think even more about you. Did he know you a guy?”
“Yes and no, I mean, maybe he did but I told him I was a guy.”
“Fascinating.” Melissa replied as she handed me the bottle of water.

up
107 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos