The Price To Pay - Vol. 2.08 - Bras!

Printer-friendly version
price_to_pay.jpg
          
I was suddenly aware that I had company.

"Hey not bad for a girl!" said a male voice.

I turned to see a boy of about my own age, if slightly taller, smiling at me.

"What do you mean not bad for girl?" I responded, slightly irritated by the comment," I'd say not bad for anyone."

The Price To Pay - Vol. 2.08 - Bras!

by Alys


Vol. 2.08
 

For about the hundredth time I rearranged the shoulder strap of my bra under my t-shirt. I just hated having to wear one and dreaded the time when my boobs had properly developed and I would probably need support all the time.

It was a hot morning and I was grateful for the cooling sea breeze in my face. From my seat on the edge of the beach I watched as the first weekend tourists began to splash about in the water. I was glad that our schedule meant I wouldn't be joining them, I'd had enough of bikinis after our previous misadventures.

My phone buzzed, I took it out of my skirt pocket and flicked it open to read the message.

"Want 2 cycle 2day?"

I sighed at my missed opportunity and sent a reply to Siá´n.

"Sorry in Aber with family all day"

"Why?"

"Sis wants 2 go uni here"

"OK, go cricket 2mor?"

"Maybe, txt me, ok?"

"OK, have fun"

I yawned and cursed my sister for wanting to come to Aberystwyth for the university open day. I hadn't been amused at being dragged out of bed at some obscenely early time. I wondered sometimes if my parents had ever been teenagers, didn't they know that being forced from your sleep before ten in the morning was classified as inhumane and cruel treatment by the UN?

The only positive part of the the almost three hour journey, from our home to west Wales, had been avoiding the worst excesses of my Mother's girly training. She had found herself without allies in the house when Taran appeared in her concession to normality of skirt, t-shirt, leggings and minimal makeup. Even she was not stupid enough to think university professors were in favour of positive discrimination for goths.

I smiled as I thought how my Mother had still tried to persuade me of the virtues of yet another summer dress but in the end she had had to accept my argument for equal treatment with my sister and my father's supportive if rather confusing comment.

"Haf, we have to be consistent," he had said firmly, after listening to ten minutes of ding dong between me and my Mum," it's not fair to treat Celyn any different to his, sorry her, sister."

Hearing my father's confusion with gender pronouns, for the nth time since my transition, had made me wonder whom of my parents had the greater problems dealing with the situation.

I decided that sitting down for the next hour or so, while the others were in the main university hall listening to the introduction to the visit, was going to be a bit boring. I slipped off my sandals and walked towards the water.

As I took my time, pressing one foot after another into the warm sand, I thought back to Thursday night when my Dad had heard me screaming down the phone at my stalker. I had made a feeble excuse of being annoyed with something not working properly on my mobile in response to his enquiry.

He had looked at me doubtfully before responding," You're sure there's nothing wrong, son?"

"Yes, Dad, everything's fine," I had replied.

"OK Celyn, goodnight then," he had said before leaving my room.

I had looked at myself in my mirror before undressing. I had been puzzled by his use of the term 'son' and wondered how he could still me as male in my pink low cut dress, push up bra showing my boobs and makeup.

The next day in school had gone fine and I was beginning to enjoy the routine of seeing my friends daily and doing the school work. The only difficulties had been using the loo, luckily still not completely vandalised, and having to give a medical note to the games teachers to get out of sport. I knew that my faux penis would not pass any close scrutiny so there was no way I could use the male changing room. I had also received an unexpectedly apologetic message from my stalker. I opened my phone to reread it.

"Celyn, I am really sorry for upsetting you. I want to help. Don't worry I won't tell anyone your secret."

"Who are you?" I had replied but there had been no response so far.

I put my phone back in my pocket and picked up a stone to threw into the water, it flew a satisfying distance before splashing in the sea.

I decided that I quite liked my Father still seeing some maleness in me even when I was dressed as a girl. It seemed that calling myself a 'boy trapped in a girl's body' was an accurate description of how I felt sometimes.

I picked up another stone and threw it harder as I remembered with a little anger the consultant saying that my transition was irreversible. There was no way that I could ever be given male hormones as it would certainly lead to a recurrence of my cancer.

I noticed a flat stone and picked it up. There was something about it that resembled a jigsaw piece. My mind flashed to my friend Heulwen, from the hospice. I had promised her, before she died, I would make the best of the rest of my life even if it meant being a girl.

I practiced my throw a few times and then crouching down a little I prepared to launch my pebble.

"Hope you're watching Heulwen, let me show you even girls can skim stones." I said quietly to myself before executing my throw parallel to the ground.

I cursed when my first attempt was unsuccessful as my throwing arm's movement was interrupted by my padded bra, causing me to release my projectile to arc up rather than across the water and giving me a sharp pain as my breast tissue was compressed rapidly.

I reached with my other hand to gently massage my sensitive boob as I searched for another flat stone. After a few seconds I found another suitable one. I spent a little while practising a slightly altered stance to accommodate my protruding chest. Once I was sure of my throwing action I gave it another go.

The smack of the impact some metres in the water was a satisfying sound and was followed by ten others of decreasing volume as my stone successfully skimmed across the surface.

I was jubilant. I rarely achieved such a positive result. I looked around for another suitable projectile.

I was suddenly aware that I had company.

"Hey not bad for a girl!" said a male voice.

I turned to see a boy of about my own age, if slightly taller, smiling at me.

"What do you mean not bad for girl?" I responded, slightly irritated by the comment," I'd say not bad for anyone."

"Hey, I was only joking," he responded," but I bet I can do better."

"OK, then, what about best of three?" I suggested.

"You're on, do you want to go first?" he asked.

"No, it's your go now, I've already had my first go and you have to beat eleven bounces," I responded a little smugly.

He laughed at my tactics and picked up a stone to try his luck.

"What's your name? I'm Alfonso," he said as he practised his throw.

"That's an unusual name, I'm Celyn," I replied.

"Yes, I'm from Spain, my Dad works in the university," he explained before launching his first stone.

It hit the water and we started counting in unison, "two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight......"

"I win! Loser goes first, by the way what does the winner get?" I asked.

"Dunno," he responded as he looked around for another stone," what about loser buys the ice-creams?"

"You're on," I replied as I also sought a suitable missile.

We threw for a second time and this time his nine bounces beat my six as I threw too hard without the right rhythm.. I took a little more care in finding a suitable stone for my final throw. I measured it carefully and launched it with as smooth an action as possible.

It bounced across the surface of the water a satisfying ten times.

Alfonso arched back and threw his stone with a rapid jerk of his arm that was strength and gracefulness combined. There was something peculiarly attractive about how he moved his body. I shook my head to banish these strange alien thoughts and concentrated on the missile.

It easily made eight little splashes and it looked like he was going to be an easy winner. Then it was caught in a little wave, which robbed it of most of its momentum, and plopped into the water.

"I wi...oh no it's a draw," I said as his stone seemed to grasp a little extra energy from somewhere and jump a few centimetres out of the water for a final, despairing splash.

"No, I won," responded Alfonso, laughing," I got more bounces than you overall."

"Yes, but I got the highest score," I argued, smiling at his infectious good humour," so I won."

"OK, let's call it evens then," he said," anyway I'll get the ice-creams."

"Why?" I asked, a bit puzzled by this turn of events," we should buy our own, it's a draw."

"No, it's OK, I'm a boy, I should do it," he stated before walking over to the nearby kiosk.

I stood and watched him pass his money over to the vendor and wondered at the strangeness of the experience. If Alsonso had seen me as a boy then he wouldn't have considered such an action. It was the first time a boy had responded to me in such a way and it was weird in its newness.

We sat on some rocks near the water as we enjoyed our desserts. I suddenly noticed that he had stopped eating his and was looking at me.

"You're very pretty, Celyn," he said in a strange voice," do you have a boyfriend?"

I stopped licking my ice-cream in shock and stared at my companion.

"What did you say?" I asked, feeling bewildered.

"I wondered whether you had a boyfriend," he repeated," you do don't you?"

"Nope and am not interested," I said with conviction.

"Oh, I'm surprised," he said.

There was silence between us after that conversation. We had soon finished and washed our hands in a small rock-pool. I looked at my watch and realised that my family would be returning soon and I would have to join them for the trip around the campus.

"Are you a lesbian?" Alfonso suddenly asked.

"What!" I exclaimed.

"Well you said that you didn't like boys so I wondered if you preferred girls," he explained.

Fortunately I was saved further bizarre conversations with strange boys with the arrival of my family. I thanked Alfonso for the ice-cream and bade him farewell.

As I walked across the beach to where Mum, Dad and Taran were standing, I pondered the advantages and disadvantages of being a girl in the company of a boy. On the one hand I got bought something nice on the other I had to endure embarrassing questions about my sexuality.

As I reached my family I absent-mindedly scratched where the band of my bra had been irritating me.

"Something wrong Celyn?" asked my Mother.

"Nothing really just my bra is a little uncomfortable and........" I started to explain and then wished I had kept quiet about my mild discomfort.

Her eyes lit up and a strange expression appeared on her face.

"No problem, dear, I saw a nice lingerie shop round the corner," she said triumphantly," lets go and get you some nice underwear."

As I followed my Mother I wondered if walking the plank felt worse.


To Be Continued...

 
End of Vol. 2.08

up
151 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Great Story

I am enjoying it a lot.

I guess if being a boy trapped in a girl's body is the definition of being transexual then Celyn qualifies.

Can Mother get any more insensitive?

Thanks for sharing.

Trapped

Celyn's a girl trapped with a PITA mother :-)

Actually, I fear...

Celyn's mom is more than a PITA. She's a woman, who thinks she found a clue. She thinks, that since Celyn's been such a good son, she'll be a good bidable daughter (and so far, Celyn's not proven her totally wrong) - unlike her older daughter (Celyn's sister).

Based on all we've seen of Celyn's mom, I fear she may actually be running a few cylinders slow (to use a motoring analogy) or maybe she's missing a few cards in the deck, or maybe isn't the sharpest crayon in the pack (to use a few others) and she's gotten the idea in her head that Celyn is a girl (can't imagine where) and that "all girls like ...." despite evidence to the contrary. Perhaps it's a defense mechanism - that if she doesn't live this way, she'll break down at the loss of her baby boy. (To give her the benefit of the doubt.

But, basically, I think she found a clue, but to the wrong mystery. And despite the number of clues to Celyn she's handed she just doesn't recognize them for what they are.

Annette

It's interesting

to read your story and see how you have Celyn working her way through this change.Free ice cream isn't all that bad especially when nothing is required after accept a thanks.The mother and her new underwear idea and her pushy way of trying to remove the boy from Celyn is pretty mean but she probably thinks she's doing right.Amy---"May your pen never run out of ink and your brain out of ideas"

I get the Impression

...that the interest between Celyn and Alfonso was prematurely cut. I think Celyn could have said more than she did. Not reveal herself - but explain herself or her feelings without shutting Alfonso out as a friend. God Knows Celyn could use some friends. It seemed unnaturally rude to me.

 
Sephrena Lynn Miller
BigCloset TopShelf

Oooooooooops Sorry aren't I so stupid!!!!

I don't believe I wrote this without putting a very important piece of information in.

The town where this scene is set is over 150 miles, between 2 and 3 hours drive, from where the Morus family live, near Casnewydd (Newport).

So, so, so, in terms of Celyn and Alfonso, she was unlikely to come back to the town ever again. Thus the brief nature of the encounter.

Hope that makes more sense. You are right Sephrena, I could have expanded that bit a little, although the point I was trying to make was established I think, ie Celyn is on her own, relating to a boy as a girl, in a normal friendly way unlike the previous scene on the bank holiday, for the first time in her life.

This is a huge step for her to take and she makes a little progress in accepting this new reality but not until volume 3 does she gain any confidence in doing it.

Again sorry about the omission.

Hugs,

Alys

I thought this was the town...

... Where Celyn's sister was going to school. I mean, if she did, it'd be likely she'd have her little sister visit once in a while...

I probably missed something somewhere. Maybe I should go back and read it again when I'm more wide awake...

Maybe

Maybe not. My brothers attended a university about 120 miles from the city where we grew up, and I got to visit there maybe once a year. Generally in the late summer when we took them back for the fall semester. Drive over, unload, eat, and drive back; all in one day.

KJT

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way." College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Okay

Maybe it's just folks in my area that seem to be more mobile. But, it's not uncommon to see Kids comming home - and/or visiting each other or visiting friends at college that graduated a few years earlier... My older daughter has had kids from her HS visit, and we've taken her younger sister to vist numerous times. Admittedly, it's only an hour away, but it'd still happen 2-3 hours away, just less often.

Annette

Aber

I went to uni at Aber (from the Midlands) - trust me, the journey's not something you'd do too often on a day trip. There are basically only three routes into town, from the South, from the West, and from the North. They're very scenic, and the A44 (from the East) spends a lot of time clinging to the side of mountains - so in bad weather (and visibility can get very low) it's a hair raising experience driving along with a hillside on one side of the car and a crash barrier separating you from a steep drop on the other. If you're really unlucky, you'll get stuck behind a lorry crawling up/down the hills.

But once you get there, it's a nice place - the main campus is on the side of a 1:9 hill overlooking the town and sea. Taran would fit in very well as there is a goth scene amongst some of the students (or at least, there was 10-15 years ago!), who tend to congregate in the evenings at The Angel (pub, and spiritual home to RocSoc - the Rock Music Society) - there was one on the same course as me.

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Aber indeed.

Oh, the dear old RocSoc! Why do you think I sent Sarah there for her coming out in 'Cold Feet'?
I love Aber...I remember going into the Ship when sort of not myself, and a behemoth at the bar said "Hello" to me. My friend warned me...
"Careful, if she fancies you she'll pick you up and take you home"
"Yebbut, I wouldn't fancy her, would I?"
"No, you don't understand. When said 'pick you up', I meant under her arm..."

I hope I did not upset you Alys

By my comment. Yes, I was looking for the dialogue to show Celyn trying to accept her situation, and its omission really made a difference on how I perceived this chapter. I know the person Celyn is, her personality is quite real (because of the release of the later chapters first versus the sequential order). It struck me as odd without explanation why she sailed through the encounter uncurious and froze up inside without any indication as to why. I look for the little things in her feelings and actions that show who she is inside. The dialogue too - or lack of it. I know you work very hard on this story and in no way am I putting you down. I love The Price to Pay.

But the omission that Celyn didnt state she wanted a friend versus the abruptness of the encounter made it seem wholly artificial to me in an otherwise real and vivid world you have crafted. Your readers do pay attention girl! ^^

And we love your story and characters a lot.

 
Sephrena Lynn Miller
BigCloset TopShelf

Hmmmm.

I got a very different feeling for the encounter Sephrena. I took it to be a very real indicator that Celyn is really only accepting the changes intillectually so far. Since they were not looked for and really were not welcome (except as an only choice other than death - and no more story). It's really not surprising that she's not "jumping" into this "female" thing with great enthusiasm.

I found the contridictions in the encounter contributed to the story and served to be a good example of where Celyn is in comming to terms with her future.

Annette

Munchausen's Mum?

Could the rather obsessive behaviour of Celyn's mum be due to a type of Munchausen's Syndrome by Proxy? I do not pretend to have any medical knowledge, but Mum's actions do seem to make me think that way.

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

A Cunning Stunt

joannebarbarella's picture

Hidden in this episode was the little snippet about the mystery caller who knows our girl's secret and we now see is not malicious as first we feared. While our authoress, like a conjuror, misdirects our attention to Spanish boys and Mum's misdemeanors. I like Dad though, still coming to grips with the situation, just like his daughter, but nice with it. So when will we know who the secret admirer(?) is?
Hugs,
Joanne

Do we?

I mean, whose word do we have that this caller has good intentions? Yeah, right, the caller! Celyn was about to snap, which would end the prankster's fun. So time to ease off a bit. There is no good reason for Celyn to believe this anonymous caller has Celyn's best interests in mind, and every reason to believe otherwise.

KJT

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way." College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

well Celyn

kristina l s's picture

You could see if the ice cream fitted in mums bra. Ooh, that'd be uncomfortable. Another nice chapter, but, um one question... Do you have revolving synopsi thingies Alys?

Kristina

Revolving Synopsi?

Umm Kristina, no idea what that is :-)

Hugs,

Alys

cryptic

kristina l s's picture

Um, it was ref to the fact that the synopsis/s to your stories seem to change. I assume you update them or something after posting, but this one for instance is different to what I saw when it posted. Sorry, just bein' clever... or not. No big deal.

Kristina

Teaser

Hi Kristina,

I get it now, you mean the initial paragraph with the title. I suppose I generally use a teaser, a little quote from the main text, rather than a synopsis, although I may have used that sometimes.

No great mystery, sometimes after a while I decide that the one I have chosen doesn't reflect the story enough so I select a different section and edit the post.

Or sometimes if the hits are going slowly I might try and chose something a bit more attention grabbing, lol.

I hope that makes sense.

Hugs,

Alys