The Price to Pay - Vol. 1.10 - Conclusion

Printer-friendly version
          

"You're a lazy sod Ceri," said Sion, chuckling.

"Some of us are born to lead, others to follow," Ceri announced imperiously," hey what are you doing?"

"I'm redistributing the wealth of the leader," said Meryl............

The Price to Pay - Vol. 1.10 - Conclusion

by Alys


Part 10
 

I felt the wind in my face as I cycled along the canal towpath. The first week of May meant that all around me new life was flourishing, from the flowers in the grass beside the cycle path to the myriad butterflies in the hedge rows. It was my first cycle ride since before going into hospital, over 3 months ago.

I passed a boat slowly chugging along the canal, the middle aged woman piloting the boat looked up as I passed, I raised my hand in greeting and she smiled and gave me a cheery wave back. It really felt like one of those days when you are just glad to be alive and after my appointment with the oncologist earlier in the day there was more reason for a smile on my lips and a sparkle in my eyes.

The text from Sion earlier had suggested meeting the gang in our usual coffee shop in Y Fenni. I had decided on a leisurely bike ride along the canal although as I pushed my bike through the gate to join the main road for the last few miles into town I was beginning to wonder if I had been a little over ambitious. I was beginning to seriously tire and was glad when I eventually reached the outskirts of the town.

"Hi Sion," I said to the taller figure of my friend who was wheeling his bike ahead of me. He stopped and turned.

"Hi Celyn, you made good time."

"Yes, but I'm feeling it now," I responded," I'm really looking forward to a Romero's luxury everything hot chocolate"

"Sounds good to me too," he said.

We locked our bikes outside our favourite place in Y Fenni and walked in the crowded café. The odour of freshly prepared hot drinks and warm pastries wafted over me. I looked around for a spare table.

"Skinny latte and bara brith*!," came a yell from the back of the room. I looked up to see Ceri grinning broadly from a table with the rest of the gang. Not having his lack of concern about attracting the disapproval of the rest of the customers I refrained from shouting back and gave him a thumbs up sign.

Romero's was generally a warm place and coupled with the heat of cycling in the balmy late spring I was soon sweating in my loose tracksuit. I felt my tight T-shirt getting moist while I waited to collect our food and drink orders from the counter.

" £2.50," I said to Ceri as I handed him his order, "but since it's you, a special price of  £5!"

He laughed and handed over the money.

"Anyway why didn't you get your own," I asked as I squeezed onto the sofa between him and Meryl.

"We," he said indicating himself, Meryl, Sian and Branwen, "didn't want to lose these seats, we kept them especially for you, aren't we kind?"

"Don't listen to him," interjected Meryl," he got here after us and he couldn't be bothered to go and get his own, he's spent the last ten minutes trying to persuade one of us to fetch him something"

"You're a lazy sod Ceri," said Sion, chuckling.

"Some of us are born to lead, others to follow," Ceri announced imperiously," hey what are you doing?"

"I'm redistributing the wealth of the leader," said Meryl as she broke Ceri's Bara Brith into smaller pieces for her, me and Sion, leaving a small portion behind for Ceri.

"I paid for that," said Ceri a little sulkily.

"Never mind," said Branwen, touching Ceri lightly on his shoulder, "look how your great wealth has brought a little joy to the lives of your followers"

"Yes thank you generous lord," I said in a mocking tone.

"Oh shut up the lot of you!"

We all laughed.

The banter continued for a while longer and my friends updated me on their news. I had seen Meryl and Sion quite often since I had been away from school but only seen the others a couple of times when they had called briefly at my house to see how I was. As they talked about the latest gossip in school I felt glad that it was going to be possible for me to come back after all. While we were chatting I felt Meryl's hand linger on my legs a few times and although it was a pleasant experience, as is human touch in general, it didn't make me feel anything, for which I was regretful.

"So when are you coming back?" asked Sian, as we seemed to be about to finish off in the café.

"After half term, last week of May," I replied," but only to do my GCSE's**. I'm thinking of college for my 'A' levels.***"

"Oh no, you have to do the sixth form in Cwm Wysg," said Meryl, lightly squeezing my leg, "why can't you stay in school?"

"Well it is over a year so maybe I will change my mind, but at the moment I am favouring college. There's a better choice of subjects"

I felt guilty at this slight distortion of the truth. Although there was a better choice of courses in college, the main reason for leaving in a year was the warning by Dr Thomas that it would be very hard to hide the changes after eighteen months of treatment. She had said that I should aim to be 'full-time' by the time I had left school.

"Who wants to go and see the new Nokia?" asked Ceri, as we were putting our used cups and plates on the tray to clear away. Everyone else murmered their approval to Ceri's idea.

"Sorry guys," I said, "I need to head back in a few minutes. It's going to take me a while to cycle home, I'm not as fit as I was"

I touched Meryl on the arm.

"Can you stay a little?" I asked.

She nodded and told the others she would catch them up in a while. As the gang made their cheerful, but noisy exit from Romero's, Meryl cuddled up to me. I put my arm around her shoulder.

"How did your visit to the oncologist go?" she asked after a little while.

"It's very good news" I replied.

"What?" she asked a little excitedly.

"My cancer is in complete remission" I replied.

"Does that mean you're not going to die?"

"Not soon anyway, Dr Williams said that I have a good chance of making it to five years and if I do that who knows what may happen"

"That's fantastic!", said Meryl as she pulled me towards her and kissed me passionately. I tried my best to respond to her actions but after a minute she pulled away and looked at me.

"You still don't feel anything do you?" she asked with the hint of a tear forming in her eye.

"I'm really sorry, Meryl. They said it was one of the side effects. I am trying my best but I can't do it. I'm so sorry" I looked down at the ground as I considered my inadequacy.

"Don't worry Celyn," said Meryl as she cuddled back into me, "we can give it time. Once you're back to your normal life, maybe it'll be better"

I paused for a while, thinking of how to put something into words.

"Listen Meryl, there is another thing, a different side effect" I said carefully.

"What is that, my sweet?" asked Meryl with concern in her voice.

"I am sterile"

"How?"

"It's the effect of the treatment," I answered vaguely," I can never have children with anyone"

"Oh that is terrible, poor you" said Meryl as she caressed my face.

"But there is something worse, listen Meryl I can't ever be with you"

"I don't understand?" she responded," what do you mean can't be with me, you are with me now"

"I can't have sex!" I blurted out almost in a whisper

"What?" she asked with anxiety in her voice.

"I have no sex drive, I don't feel attracted to anyone and I may never do"

"I don't understand, why are you telling me this? Oh...are you breaking up with me?"

I nodded my head. I felt tears welling up in my eyes.

"Why Celyn? What have I done?" she asked as two wet streaks appeared in her make up.

I took her hand and looked at her.

"I'm so sorry Meryl, it's not you, but how can we be together if I can never feel anything or be with you."

"I love you Celyn, please don't do this." Meryl said in a beseeching voice.

I looked away from and her and responded in a quiet voice.

"There's no other way Meryl, I am so sorry"

We both burst into tears as we sat there holding hands.

Eventually I stood up and walked out of the café.

I got on my bike and with one final wave at my former girlfriend still wiping the tears from her eyes, I rode off.


END OF VOLUME 1

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Bara Brith - literally 'Speckled Bread' is a fruity sweet bread.
** GCSE - exams taken at 15/16.
***A Levels - exams taken at 17/18

up
122 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thanks

Many thanks to everyone who has shared the two journeys of Celyn and her friends with me. Apologies for the gap between this chapter and the previous one. Many thanks for all the comments.

Hugs

Alys

So...

Angharad's picture

when do we get the sequel?

Cofleidiau,

Angharad

Angharad

Blog and Sequel

Thanks x a million for the comments. I've written a longer reply on a blog posting. You really are not going to let me get away without a sequel I feel. Lol. First though I am going to have to save my other heroine, Enfys, from the perils of neo-fascist Britain.

Hugs

Alys

You're Always Making Me Cry

joannebarbarella's picture

Oh Alys, those poor kids. How can you do this to them? You're so cruel. Now we need a bridging piece or a sequel to the sequel. Meryl cannot just disappear. She deserves an explanation,
Indignant of Hove(actually),
Joanne

Please Alys, Be Kind To Meryl

We know that Celyn is bisexual. She has a girlfriend AND she had sex with Sion. Please bring Meryl back for Celyn. I think she CAN handle having TWO lovers.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

You need to understand something.

Gwen We don't know the feminizing effect of this drug.

I can tell you the effect that the drugs and the surgery has had on me. I could get in the sack with a woman and just go to sleep. She could bring me off with a little mouth/ hand action but she'd have to earn her pay. : )

When the right kind of guy talks to me, if he is nice and we hit it off, anything could happen. One thing is he could kiss my ass but there ain't gonna be any Anal; very firm on that.

As far as I am concerned, I am a Woman now. Talking to those who knew me over the years between early childhood and now, I was always a woman, and once the testosterone was gone, this girl just blossomed. I do not agree that spiro and estrogen get you all the way.

So Celwn's comment that there was no feeling seems credible.

It is not that way for every transwoman. Some want to be lesbians. That is fine by me, but for me being a true Woman meant men. Some would say I am gay, but that just demonstrates the true depth of their ignorance. No apologies, that is how I feel.

Alys, while I think this story is wonderful, I am not sure you did or could describe the depth of the couple's pain.
Gwen Brown

What the heck?

I really like this story and all, but it doesn't make sense to me? I Ctrl+F the whole series, and in the one after the preqauel, her name doesn't even exist. I can't help but wonder what happened to her, did she move, did she die? And ... I don't know but I think she would have accepted Celyn, she seemed nice enough.

 

    I just got to be me :D

 

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Transgender, Gamer, Little, Princess, Therian and proud :D

ME 2

Gwen []
Gwen Brown

Had to happen, but...

... it doesn't mean I have to like it!!! She's such a wonderful friend. Only telling her half the story is like a slap in the face!

BTW - when's the bridge story between this prequel and the original story?

I think she was too hard on

I think she was too hard on her girlfriend. She should told her the total truth and let her decide if the friendship continued or not. Celyn just might have been surprised as many people, once they know the truth about something can actually accept it. Granted, some can't, but still it should be placed before them for decision. J-Lynn

Thanks for a great story, but I, too, want to know ...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

... what happened to Meryl. I think it was cruel just to dump her without telling her the truth, but I don't blame celyn too much - she was still he enough not to want to reveal hersef yet. However at the end of the original, we know Celyn is bisexual, so why not bring Meryl back and let us know what happens? Maybe there is no happy ending, she just spits in Celyn's face for all the heartbreak she felt, but inquiring minds want to know.

"All the world really is a stage, darlings, so strut your stuff, have fun, and give the public a good show!" Miss Jezzi Belle at the end of each show

BE a lady!

Bi Sexual ????

Gwen I am confused. I know that she eventually boinked Sion, but I don't remember her doing it with a girl. Are you going to make me read it over? :)
Gwen Brown

More Bittersweet

terrynaut's picture

Hey! What are you trying to do, fatten me up with bittersweet goodness?

Really, this was very good. It was happy and sad and I loved every word. Thanks.

I think it ended about as well as it could for young teens. It made sense to me but there is still one piece missing. Meryl is a part of Celyn's circle of friends and her absence in the first story should be explained. Celyn broke up with her but why did she abandon all her friends? Was she that traumatized by the breakup? Please consider filling the vacuum. Nature abhors a vacuum ya know. :)

Hugs

- Terry

okay, now I'm ready for the sequel

okay, now I'm ready for the sequel. I hope you are already working on it..... I don't want to wait too long. It as hard enought waiting for this last chapter. where's the next one, huh? huh? huh?

A.A.

oh pooo

kristina l s's picture

Yes ok, I just read the blog so I get it, but still.. that's tough. All in all, great job Alys.

Kristina

I'm confused.

Why can't Meryl and Celyn be best of girlfriends? It doesn't mean they have to be romantic. I think it is crass of Celyn to just walk out on her.

I think Celyn is a jerk for doing this, to cut Meryl out of her life all together. I actually think it is quite horrible actually. I have tons of great girlfriends and if it wasn't for them I don't know how I would have made it through my life. I need girlfriends to talk through all type of situations. I feel Celyn needs this too. All girls do.

We girls need to stick together.

Good job on the story otherwise, but lacking in a few things like other girls for FRIENDS. They certainly don't have to be sexual partners. I'm sad you did this one thing in this story. All the other parts are fine.

Just catching up

Podracer's picture

Not having found this series before.
Maybe leaving Meryl is a mistake - but nobody said that Celyn and the others couldn't make those.
A memory came back; having Bara Brith at Cregneash in the Isle of Man, I'd forgotten all about that :)

"Reach for the sun."