The Price to Pay - Vol. 4.12 - Answers

Printer-friendly version
price_to_pay.jpg
          

"Well, sorry to be nosey," said Dionne very hesitantly," and I didn't really remember everything from the assembly, but do you still have a ...you know what, a thingie.....?"

"A thingie?" I asked.

"Yes you know," she said looking suggestively at the top of my legs.

The Price To Pay - Vol. 4.12 - Answers

by Alys


Part 4.12
 

I sat in my temporary prison, staring at the mobile phone that had failed so far to bring me a response to my numerous text and phone messages.

Neither my Mother or my Father had replied yet, I looked at my watch and wondered if I would be spending the night in a police cell. There was a little over half an hour left before Jean's deadline expired.

I heard the noise of the rest of the team leaving. I cursed my bad luck in sticking to my usual routine and deciding not to have a shower straight after an evening training session. It would have been harder for Erica to make the accusations if I had been naked in front of the rest of the team. As I waited forlornly for some response from my family I pondered Jean's reaction in not giving me an opportunity to explain myself before locking me in her office.

I heard the door key turn, I hoped Jean hadn't already called the police as there was still almost half an hour before her deadline was reached.

The door to the office opened and Jean stepped into the room, looking much less antagonistic than earlier. She pulled out a chair and sat down opposite me. She looked at me for a few seconds as if unsure what to say. When she did eventually speak I was very surprised by what she said.

"Celyn, listen, I'm sorry for not letting you give your side of the story earlier, and for locking you in."

"Why?" I asked, unsure how to react.

"There is a lot going on here, that you don't know about," she said a little mysteriously," why don't you tell me more about yourself and then I'll explain how things work here."

For the next ten minutes I briefly outlined my story, including full details of my football career to date.

"I'm so sorry, and you had an offer from Man U too, that must have been hard to take," she said after I had finished.

"I was bitter for a while," I responded," but someone I met briefly showed me the importance of making the most of what life has offered you."

"It's good that you can be so positive," she commented," listen, come on down to the bar so that we can talk in a more relaxing environment. I need a glass of wine to unwind too. If you like I could get you one of their tooth destroying puddings, they are really nice and probably good for you, in small doses. I know that this isn't sufficient to completely apologise for earlier but....."

"I'm not sure," I said interrupting and still not sure how I felt about what seemed a complete volte-face," my Mum will be here soon to pick me up"

"I could give you a lift home," she suggested.

My mobile phone rang.

"What's up Celyn?" my Mother asked," I was just leaving to come and pick you up, sorry I didn't reply earlier I was in the garden clearing some of the autumn leaf fall"

I considered my options for a second and in the end sticky pudding triumphed.

"Oh Mum, it was just to to tell you Jean, the coach, said she will drop me home," I replied.

"That's great, Celyn, that will save me quite a bit of driving. I'll see you later then"

"Thanks for that Celyn, for giving me a chance to explain. I'm sure you'll enjoy the pudding" said Jean.

Ten minutes later we were sat down at a table in the quiet bar, Jean was sipping her glass of Cariad*, while I slowly savoured my hot treacle sponge pudding with cream.

"Celyn, let me say how much I am sorry for what I did. There are reasons for it," said Jean, speaking thoughtfully but clearly with sincerity.

"I'm sorry Jean, I can't think of anything that justifies locking me up for over half an hour. I feel like I've been treated as a criminal. In fact I was wondering if I would end up in a police cell tonight," I responded with the anger obvious in my voice.

"Yes, you are right, Celyn, it is hard to justify what I did and I understand your anger. This is the situation though. Erica made a very serious accusation against you and I panicked and felt I had to appear to be taking a hard line on you in front of her"

I opened my mouth to protest at her comments. She held up her hand, palm facing me.

"Wait, Celyn, before you say anything else, let me explain why," she said quickly," you need to be aware that Erica's Dad is the main sponsor of the team, he is also the chair of the committee that runs this sports centre. He also has many friends on the committee, his word carries a lot of weight.

I put my spoon down and concentrated on trying to understand the internal politics of Casnewydd Ladies AFC.

"On top of that his company pays my salary as part time coach and I work for one of his friends' companies in the city," she continued," it wasn't wise to make Erica an enemy as you did by taunting her in training, I understand why you did it though, she can be a dirty player as she is not really up to standard, although she has some strengths"

We sat in silence for a few minutes while I finished my pudding and considered whether I wanted to carry on playing for Casnewydd after my less than pleasant introduction to the team. On the other hand I knew that any hopes of playing for the school depended on being registered by a woman's team outside of school. There didn't seem to be any other option but to try and overcome the disastrous beginning.

"I understand the situation and why things happens. I am not happy at all about it though," I said," but assuming I carried on coming to training would I get to play?"

"If you want to continue to train with us I would love to put you in the team. You are the best girl player I have ever seen, of course I completely accept what you say about your legal gender. But the only fly in the ointment would be getting Erica on your side and I'm not sure how you could do that."

I finished my delicious pudding while Jean downed the rest of her wine. I considered how I could possibly befriend someone who clearly hated me already. Then an idea crossed my mind.

"Who's the team captain?" I asked.

"Jenny....Jenny Thomas, although she is off for a few weeks with a pulled hamstring muscle." Jean replied.

"Who's the captain on the pitch then?" I asked pursuing the point.

"I usually chose the player on the day," answered Jean, raising her eyebrows a little at the questions.

"OK I've got an idea, for the next match chose Erica as captain and play her as the centre forward," I said.

"What! she can't play as a striker she is much too slow and she isn't very tall." she responded.

"She can kick the ball pretty hard though," I stated.

"Yes," agreed Jean.

"Then play her up front and I'll create some goals for her," I explained.

Jean looked startled at the idea, but in a few seconds she had worked out my logic.

"Well yes that might be an idea, you certainly have the ability, I saw that earlier. Thanks for the suggestion, let me think about it." she said.

With that we left and made our way to her car. Jean entertained me on the way home with stories of other women's teams she had played for and managed. She also mentioned the prejudice, she had experienced, against women's teams in the male football clubs.

"I don't think they'll ever take us seriously until one of the top football clubs has its first woman player," she concluded as we reached my house.

I bade her farewell and she promised to phone me the next day to discuss my idea further.

"You have some fun, then, at training" said Siá´n, laughing, the next day in the car as he drove Seren and myself to school.

We had decided that it was too much hassle to go out of our way to catch the bus with Seren and now that his Mother was prepared to make a generous contribution for petrol costs the three of us travelled to school together. She had told us that it was well worth it to avoid Seren being bullied.

"It didn't feel like fun at the time," I said in reply to Siá´n's comment. I felt a little bit annoyed with him for not appearing sympathetic.

The rest of the journey passed in silence as Siá´n concentrated on driving in the driving rain and I sat and thought over the events of the previous evening, which I had not told my parents, fearing their reaction.

We were soon in school making our way to our relevant lessons. By lunchtime, after some stimulating academic sessions, the strangeness of my first training session with Casnewydd ladies had receded and by the tenth retelling in the sixth form common room had seemed to belong to another world of bigotry and ignorance that I had forgotten still existed.

I met Seren for lunch, Siá´n joined me and soon two girls from Seren's class, Dionne and Ffion had come along too. Seren had already told us that he had confided his TG nature to them and they had been supportive.

We ate our lunch, the usual uninspired, but filling meal.

"If only Jamie Oliver would chose our school for his next project," I said as I picked at my mostly tasteless Lasagna.

"I dunno," said Siá´n," I don't think we need Jamie Oliver, I think my Mum could do better"

We all agreed with Siá´n.

I heard some whispering and noticed Dionne and Ffion discussing something furiously.

"I can't ask that!" said Dionne a bit louder than she expected.

"What is it?" I asked, " what can't you ask? Don't worry us sixth formers are here to help you, don't be shy"

"Well, sorry to be nosey," said Dionne very hesitantly," and I didn't really remember everything from the assembly, but do you still have a ...you know what, a thingie.....?"

"A thingie?" I asked.

"Yes you know," she said looking suggestively at the top of my legs.

Three things happened in quick succession as realisation hit me like a wet sponge on the face. I burst out laughing, my chair overbalanced and fell to the floor with a clatter, almost taking me with it. I grabbed the table to stop falling, causing everyone's drinks to spill. I gained the instant attention of the whole canteen as everyone stopped talking to look around for the source of the noise.

My loud comment, "You mean my dick?!", echoed embarrassingly around the almost completely silent canteen.

* http://www.welshholidaycottages.com/food/llanerch-vineyard.htm


To Be Continued...

 
End of Part 4.12

up
97 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Very Good Chapter Alys, You do Have A Bit Of Wit I Never Knew

The part where Celyn and the coach came up with a game plan was nice, but that ending is sure to get several chuckles and more. The ending scene I can picture in my head. Thanks for the laugh.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

The coach was still wrong

Angharad's picture

if she had been charged with false imprisonment, she'd have lost her job anyway. So her jobsworth answer is a bit feeble. Is Celyn going to be able to deliver on the goal scoring passes and will Erika be up to scoring them? If not it will undoubtedly be Celyn's fault.

Like the humour at the end, but wouldn't they have asked one of Celyn's friends? Wouldn't Seren know?

Cofleidiau Alys,

Angharad

Angharad

The Coach was wrong

Yes she was but false imprisonment for thirty minutes? We shall have to see about the goal scoring passes. :-)

Unlikely that year 7 pupils (11 year olds) would generally have much to do, apart from this lunch situation, with sixth formers (16-18 year olds), and would they know who to ask?

Cofleidiau

Alys

Sorry

erin's picture

The coach's apology has really made things worse. Celyn wasn't detained for a real investigation but just so the coach could look good. And false imprisonment cases are often for detention periods less than an hour.

- Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

School year confusion

In my day, at the beginning of time, 'Year 7' would have been 1st form (well at 11 it would) which makes 6th form (lower and upper) make more sense. Wouldn't an 11 year old be in year 6 and the 6th form be years 12 and 13? I usually just add 5 to the year number to get the age of the pupil. I dunno - I left school after the fifth form (16) and started work.

For Americans - the term 'soccer' is rarely used anywhere in Europe. However it is a legitimate description of football and derives from the term Association Football which first codified the rules which up to that time varied from place to place.

To this day there is a Shrovetide football match which takes place every year in Ashbourne, Derbyshire where 2 teams of any size try to score in goals over a mile apart and use the whole town as the pitch. I think the only rule is that motor vehicles may not be used to carry the ball! The shops are boarded up and the pubs do a roaring trade, as probably does the local hospital :)

Geoff

UK Schools

Primary school is typically Years 1 - 6 (ages 5 - 11), although there's usually a reception class for "rising 5s" (i.e. they start the term before their fifth birthday, and although it's a classroom environment, it's more play-focussed than "main school").

Secondary school is typically Years 7 -11 (ages 11 - 16), sometimes with a built-in Sixth Form Centre (years 12 - 13, often still referred to as Lower Sixth and Upper Sixth respectively, ages 16 - 18).

-oOo-

Meanwhile, Atherstone in Warwickshire also has an annual shrovetide football match, with a very loose set of rules - I think the winner is whoever's in possession of the ball at the end of the game.

And with the discussion on women's football only gaining recognition if a female plays in a major UK men's club, I can't help but wonder if this story was at least part of the inspiration behind another author's story on this site, featuring the fictional "Melchester United" club...

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

But is it worth it ?

She loves soccer errr .... the football, but I for one would not want to deal with this crap. There is a lot to say to being -mostly- stealth. All of this legal wrangling. I can see this getting more ugly before it gets better.

I also agree with all of the other posters in that Celyn needs to suck it in and not be so insecure. I fault her parents also for not being more supportive of her social integration needs.

Kim

Is it worth it?

Ultimately it's an individual decision as to whether a situation is worth dealing with or not.

We all face dilemmas in our life, difficult decisions to make. This story is hopefully looking at the choices someone like Celyn would have to make given her circumstances.

Don't understand your comment about legal wrangling, there's very little reference to that in the story.

As to insecurity, how could someone like Celyn not be often very insecure. She is in a familiar environment which is treating her in a different way to the one she is used to.

A start but only a start

The coach has appologuised but only in private.

She owes Celyn one infront of the whole team AND she needs to cut out the crap and treat all the girls the same. The litle bitch is taking advantage of her father's influence; some day a child will be severly injured due to her holganism. I wonder, is he as stuck up as his daughter? Maybe he can help put her on the straight and narrow.

I like Celyn's idea, very much putting a positive spin on things. I do agree the girl could still blame *the Freak* but she would be in a much weaker position. Sounds like too little discipline and incomplete knowledge. Maybe the girl will turn out to be sort of okay, other than the rough play, once she knows the real facts.

I do like it that Celyn politely told the coach that saying she was sorry hardly made up for a halfhours imprsonment alone and that she had feared would end up as a night in police custody. She may suffer nighmares from this. The coach has made a start but it is only that, a start. The team needs a different sponsor and she needs a different job if the is anything like his daughter seems so far.

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. As to social skills, Celyn could have used help earlier and maybe even now to some extent but is doing okay on her own though I think she could use some counceling on occasion, for the stress of it all. As to teaching Celyn social skils, I wouldn't trust his/her mom to boil water, the incident with the all but forced summer vacation with the boozing wannbe rapist picked by mom as Celyn's proposed boy friend? Mom is clueless sometimes, dangerously so. A sweet lady but not the brightest of lights.

John in Wauwatosa

I Knew You'd Manage

joannebarbarella's picture

To wriggle your way out of it. Nicely wiggled for now, situation partially defused. I wait to see the success or otherwise of Celyn's ploy against Erica.
However, how can you be so cruel to one of your characters as to force her to drink Welsh table wine?
Joanne

Welsh Wine

Joanne

It's the Welsh wine lake, someone has to:-)

Hugs,

Alys

LOL... I guess they might be curioous...

You obviously needed a new set of problems for Celyn to work through...

She's used similar techniques before... Guess she's really good. :-) Duhhh.

Thanks for another interesting episode... I wonder, would you have started this thing had you known it would take on a life of its own... :-) Glad you did though...

Annette

The ending

Why would Celyn even refer to it as 'Her Dick?'

She is trying to convince everyone she is now a female and she YELLS 'My Dick?'

Smooth move, now everyone will think she still has one. That was a stupid exclamation. Not only that, it was a stupid question from the kids. Very insensitive of them.

WEll it is not my story, and I am still not satisfied with what the coach had done. the reason was lame, and she feels she has to placate a bigot and a spoiled brat, for fear she will lose her job. Well so much for being impartial. If it came to light to the father what his perfect little angel is really doing, her father would probably TAKE the daughter off the team. I hope he is a realist and a caring individual, rather than give my daughter what ever she wants type of parent. I detest bullies and Erica is just that. She really needs an attitude adjustment, not someone who will give in to HER demands.

I was disappointed with hearing the reason why Celyn was held prisoner by the coach.

Sorry, I think a lot of people need a shake up. Celyn's parents should be notified of what happened. Celyn did not deserve how she was treated.

Celyn shouldn't try to make Erica look good either, for then she too caved in to her bullying. I just feel that a B doesn't deserve consideration, since she doesn't give consideration to anyone else. I know it is not a Christian attitude, but I will help people in any way that I can, until they burn me, then they can rot. Celyn was definately burned big time.

The Ending

She would refer to 'My Dick' because she had one for 14 years.

Children are very curious about such details, especially in this context, and Celyn invited the question.

She didn't YELL, unluckily for her the canteen was almost silent after she fell over and her normal loud comment was heard accross the room, an important distinction.

As far as Erica's father is concerned he would be more concerned that his daughter was happy and getting to play than worrying about fairness and who the coach was.

People make mistakes in life, they do things they shouldn't do. If they are basically good they will acknowledge these mistakes.

What would you have preferred?

Frank's picture

Penis? Pecker? Rod? Cock? Paddywack? One Eyed Snake?

No one objects to the terms tits, boobs, udders when females or MTF characters use them...which has always seemed a bit odd to me that you often don't see breasts, bosom, mammaries..

Double Standard?

Hugs

Alexis

Hugs

Frank

A certain girl…

…who still has one calls it her doodle! This is because she once heard SRS referred to as pan-doodlectomy. ;-)

Hilary

Seems to me

Frank's picture

Celyn did what she needed to do to continue playing at school. She's isn't happy about this lady's team, but it's important to her playing where she IS happy...so she is letting something slide for now...she's still unhappy with how she was treated and didn't let the coach completely off the hook.

Makes sense to me...

Hugs

Alexis

Hugs

Frank

The coach is a coward and is

The coach is a coward and is only thinking about her job. She should stand up and confront the Father and the rest of whoever funds the program, building and equipment. Erica should not be allowed to continue as she is, because she is a detriment to the whole team. If her father can't see this, then he is just as bad as she is. Perhaps Celyn needs to confront the father and Erica IN PUBLIC and settle everything once and for all. J-Lynn

Reality Bites

I agree she is a cooward. However, she is also a realist. She understands what the consequences are or could be. It is an excellent example of what economic or peer pressure is. Everyone has seen the videos where a father tackles an opposing player or the coach's son is destined to be the star even when she is not the best player. In this case the father isn't the coach he is the sponsor of the team and has made it clear he wants his daughter to be a the star (and apparently she thinks she should be too).

Alys has done an excellent job of demonstrating the positive and negative impacts of Celyn's transition and the differing views of society.

As always,

Dru

As always,

Dru