The Price to Pay - Vol. 3.02

Printer-friendly version

"Howzat?", I shouted in cricket lingo, grabbing the cricket ball from my groin and holding it aloft. I heard other team mates repeating the refrain. I beamed at them all. Something about their expression surprised me. Reality dawned. I took the only action possible, grabbed my groin and began to writhe on the floor, moaning in apparent pain. It was an Oscar winning performance.......

               The Price to Pay - Vol. 3.2

               by Alys

I kicked the ball past the last defender on the right of the field and moved with it, at top speed, towards the goal. For, what felt like, the twentieth time in the game I was tackled illegally from behind by the other, bulky defender. I was dumped to the ground as my 'sporting' opponent kicked my legs away. The small crowd of our supporters roared 'foul!'. For the first time in the game the referee was too close to the incident to ignore it. He blew his whistle and called for a free kick.

Sion helped me up and asked me if I felt OK to take the kick. I rubbed the latest bruise on my leg and nodded. I wasn't going to miss this for the world. I placed the ball on the ground. Our opponents were wasting as much time as possible on setting up the defensive wall. They didn't want to concede a goal now as a drawn game would give them the league title. Eventually all was set. I looked at all the players' positions and knew that my kick would have to be perfect to be successful. I ran up and kicked the ball with the inside of my boot, the vicious swerve I gave it took it round the defensive wall and past the despairing reach of the goalkeeper into the top corner. Goal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I turned round to look at Sion, but strangely instead of Sion the face of Ryan Giggs* beamed back at me and the small crowd in the sports field had turned into 70,000 in Old Trafford. I basked in the adulation but the cheers somehow turned into jeers and the shout of 'Celyn's a girl' started to ring through the crowd.

The ringing increased in volume and became some classic Welsh rock 'Nid diwedd y gá¢n yw'r geiniog', thumping around the stadium.

I opened an eye and looked at my CD/alarm clock. I reached over and fumbled with the music off switch. By the time I had managed to locate it, well hidden on the clock's side, I had been forced to open a second eye and all hopes of returning to my dream of sporting achievement had disappeared. I cursed the clock manufacturers for their cunning design, which had once again succeeded. The clock read 8am. I lay on my back and thought back to that fateful game and remembered how the joy of the final result had so soon after turned into the pain and anguish that had started me on my unexpected journey.

I sat up in my bed and the jiggle of my breasts at this sudden movement reminded me of where I had come so far in my journey while the cool morning air on my bare legs reminded me of my mother's wish to clothe me in completely female clothing. I would have to persuade her that girls could wear PJ's as well as night dresses. I grabbed my dressing gown and after locating my (pink!) slippers walked downstairs to the kitchen for some breakfast.

I sat at the table eating my cornflakes and glanced at the main stories in the Guardian newspaper, that had thumped onto the carpet as I reached downstairs. I thought back to the night before and sitting in the same chair opposite Sion at the breakfast table. It had taken almost an hour, after his initial shock at seeing my female form, to explain everything to him. In the end he told me that he thought I was very brave and that he would like to help in any way possible. I had then put on a blouse and skirt, the only type of casual clothes that I possessed, and we had played Wii Sports. When my parents had finally arrived, my father had taken Sion and bike home while I had had to explain to my Mum how I was wearing these clothes in the company of Sion. Somehow or other we had ended up watching Titanic for the nth time on cable sharing a box of paper tissues between us - female hormones!

The phone rang.

"Are you ready?", was Sion's first sentence.

"And good morning to you Sion", I replied in a jokey, sarcastic voice

"Are you ready?", he repeated, with a little more urgency.

"I think the job of Polly Parrot has now been filled. Ready for what Sion?"

"Are you ready to go?"

"You've lost me completely Sion, ready to go where?"

"To the game! The final of the youth cricket cup, we promised we'd play now that our exams are over", he replied with with a tone of frustration.

"Oh ssuuuuugggggaaaarrrr! What time do we have to be there?"

"25 minutes, I'm leaving now I'll be with you in 10"

I ran upstairs, zipped myself into my superflat sports bra, then the addition of a tight T shirt and loose cricket sweater concealed my upper half. I pulled my jock strap on and stuffed the prosthetic inside, no time to put it on properly. Hair into an untidy male pony tail and having put on my cricket trousers, socks and shoes in record time I made it to the door just as Sion knocked.

"Hi", I said slightly out of breath from the rush downstairs.

"Nail Varnish!!"

"Do you want some nail varnish Sion, you surprise me"

"No you dipstick", said Sion in exasperation, "you are still wearing it from yesterday and as you hopefully realise it's not the usual Aberllwyd youth cricket team kit"

I ran back into my bedroom and in record time had removed the bulk of the offending colour, well at least enough to pass anything but the closest inspection.

We arrived at the ground, via various bike short cuts, just as the coach was finishing his team talk.

"Thought you two were not honouring us with your presence", he commented acidly despite our fulsome apologies

Neither of us had played for weeks because of our school exams. This was the final game of the youth season, the team for 16-17 year olds. If we could beat the team from Cwm Gwyddon then we would win the youth title, the first time for many years. Our opponents were in the same situation so this was a crucial game for both sides. Today's game was scheduled for 30 overs each team**.

The game ebbed and flowed. First our opening batsmen started brightly scoring well but then the two big, clearly overage players in my opinion, players started bowling fast, hard and dirty. We quickly lost wickets and the scoring rate slowed. Sion revived our scoring for a while before he was hit in the chest by a vicious delivery by gorrila 2, I had nicknamed them gorilla 1 and 2. Soon it was my turn to bat and there were only 3 of us left to try and achieve a reasonable score. Gorilla 1 looked at me in contempt as I walked to face his bowling. I was by 3-4 inches shorter than everyone else on the pitch. He thundered down to bowl and sent down one to hit me in the head. He was about to yell in triumph until, at the last moment, I stepped inside the flight and steered the ball over the boundary for a score of 6. That enraged him and then followed a series of powerful deliveries that I either blocked, if they were on target, or used the pace he had put on the ball to steer to scoring shots.

Our final team score of 165 was respectable and I was happy with my personal mark of 55.

Our opponents got off to a good start scoring quickly, with gorilla 1 and 2 laying waste to our bowling. in desperation the team captain, a tall 17 year old called Alun, handed me the ball.

"See what you can do Celyn", he said.

The confident opening batsmen looked at my small stature and grinned at each other. They were expecting some big hits from my bowling. I ran in gently and tossed a ball up high, inviting a big hit from gorilla 1 . He swung mightily and only succeeded in moving a mass of air as the furious backspin I had put on the ball caused it to swerve past his bat and to gently knock over one of his stumps. He gave me a look of utter disgust and stomped off. After his dismissal our bowlers regained confidence and together we managed to slow their scoring, and get them out on regular intervals, so that with one over left they needed 7 runs but were down to their last pair of batsmen. First ball, Sion, our fastest bowler, steamed in and almost hit the wicket but the delivery was too fast for our wicket keeper and we conceded 4 runs as the ball ran all the way to the boundary. I walked over to where Sion was waiting to bowl his next ball.

"A slower one, leg side, try it Sion", I whispered.

He looked at me and nodded. he waited until I had taken an unusual field position. He thundered in and appeared to put a huge effort in his delivery but at the last moment he slightly slow his arm movement and the ball was slower. The batsman took a might swipe at what appeared an inviting ball but only succeeded in hitting it high in the air in the direction where I had been waiting.

I looked up in the sky at the hard cricket ball plummeting towards me. I prepared my hands to take the all important match deciding catch. Disaster. As I steadied my feet, to receive the little cherry coloured bomb, a loose stud on my right boot snapped off and I stumbled and then landed on my back.

The ball hurtled towards me oblivious of my misfortune. With exquisite timing the ball slammed into my groin area just as my bum hit the grass. The sound of two impacts merged. I felt pain in my posterior and also a brief sharp pain in my groin area, but luckily the prosthetic had taken most of the impact. There was a clear noise of something tearing in the nether regions.

"Howzat?", I shouted in cricket lingo, grabbing the cricket ball from my groin and holding it aloft. I heard other team mates repeating the refrain. I beamed at them all. Something about their expression surprised me. Reality dawned. I took the only action possible, grabbed my groin and began to writhe on the floor, moaning in apparent pain.. It was an Oscar winning performance.......
Later after my apparent discomfort had been eased we had our raucous victory celebrations.

"Well done Celyn", the coach effused while the two of us were collecting our food from the buffet.

"55 runs, 5 wickets and the winning catch, you must have a tough jock strap though". He grinned at me.

"I've been thinking, I know that you should have another year with the youth team but I would really like you to train with the seniors next year. What do you think?"

I was completely speechless. I had never heard of a sixteen year old being asked to train with the adults. What an honour. His next sentence punctured my dream.

"By next year you will surely have bulked up and with your skills, would have a good chance of making the team"

I fought to hold the tears back as he mentioned the impossible scenario. I muttered something about having to rush home, jumped on my bike and rode home in dejection.

My mother was sorting through some clothes when I got home.

"Hi Mum had a good day? What are you doing?", I asked

"Hi Celyn", my Mum enthused, "Dad and I have booked a 2 week holiday in Cyprus for us 3 and I'm packing some new summer dresses and bikinis that I have bought for you"

I looked at her in disgust, my feelings of dejection at my situation deepened.

"It's not a holiday for me to spend two weeks in summer dresses and bikinis!", I yelled at my mother.
==========================================================================

*Ryan Giggs is currently the most famous Welsh football (soccer) player and is a member of one of the top UK teams, Manchester United
** Cricket is a bizarre game that involves hitting a ball and running up and down a small pieice of field. Sometimes described as an afternoon snooze punctuated with mutterings of 'good shot' and 'well bowled'. It also includes a reverence to something called the LBW, whose meaning is lost in the mists of time, 30 overs is 180 throws per side.

up
120 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

"Curiouser and curiouser, " said Alys.

Angharad's picture

What is going on yer? Dilation but living as a boy? Hmm, androgen insensitivity syndrome? I wonder.

hugs,

Angharad

Angharad

Sounds like a sports injury, likely in cricket

I sounded like his getting it in the groin with the hard wooden ball was something of a repeat of the original accident which may have occured in a football, ie soccer in the US, game.

Prehaps severe bruising that led to blood clots and gangrene or something like that or maybe a vicious asault after a game by the thugs on the other team? The bruise on the leg in his dream seems significant. What if a clot blocked blood flow to his gentitals or in repairing a clot to his legs they severed the nerves to his or Jeese I don't know.

The poor boys mom is not helping matters. He will come to hate her I fear. I mean he wears a prostetic penis and sack to look like a boy in his uniform and he painfully binds his breats yet all his girls clothes are very girly, no slacks. They are sending a mixed message. Unless there were no boys teams in the area or they feared he'd be bullied? Why the mascarade?

And if he'd rather be a man, why the female hormones and the rest -- makeup, dresses? Why can he not be a castrated man but with testosterone to bulk him up? Did he get hurt in this game, I heard a crack when the she fell and the ball hit her? Did she tear something in her SRS or was that the prstretic crackingThan god his firend is still his/her friend. She will need him as his parents are a mystery to me.

A solid start but I need to know, meenie!

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

people missing the plot...

Our friend seems to be m2f... hence the grs evidently. and IS female, apart from the fact that she cant transition at school yet... ie, nobody knows and she has to act like a boy. She seems more tomboy than girlygirl, which is no bad thing and makes a change to the oodles of pink in these stories sometimes...
Loves cricket, but cant play in the boys team as shes a she and evidently wont bulk up, but there probs isnt a girls team, as ive rarely heard of girls cricket teams... atleast not at school. Very complicated first two episodes, lovely and vague :P
R

Girls' cricket teams…

…do exist, and the First XI at Brighton College actually has TWO girls playing with the boys. And one of the girls is the youngest person ever to play test cricket for England; she did it at the age of 15 in the England Women's team that won the Ashes from the Australians last time it was held in England (2004?). (Kristina LS please note)

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

blaat

kristina l s's picture

that's a sort of raspberry Gabi. Hah. Mind you there's fun and games here at present if you follow such. India v Austraia don't you know. Such drama...

Kristina

Bit of a mystery

You certainly have people guessing what's going on here, I love the air of mystery and the way you are bringing out Celyn's feelings about his situation.

Not sure about the little explanations you drop into the text [e.g. bowling (pitching)], they tend to break up the flow of the narrative. Perhaps they would be better down in the foot notes? Still, that's just a minor quibble - I'm looking forward to the next part.

Thanks

Thanks for the comments. Next episode about to be transcribed. How long will the mystery remain, well I guess that's a mystery, lol.

Hugs

How brave ...

... to include references to cricket, a game as bizarre and as full of esoteric ritual as I imagine American football to be. I actually quite enjoyed playing it as a youngster ... until I found they used a very hard ball rather than the tennis ball I was used to :) (lbw = leg before wicket, but you knew that, I'm sure)

We seem to be overrun with Welsh writers right now, but I'll maintain my English stiff upper lip and enjoy all of you.

Geoff

American Football is not at all difficult...

Puddintane's picture

It's quite similar to Rugger but far more genteel, making reasonable accommodations for those who don't like to get their hair mussed.

Puddin'
--------------------
Rugby is a good occasion for keeping
thirty bullies far from the center
of the city.
--- Oscar Wilde

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

The definition of Cricket as explained to a non English person

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out. When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game! Simple!

Oh! I see!

erin's picture

I never realized why people said cricket is a lot like baseball until now, thanks for explaining it. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

A simple description of differences between baseball and cricket

erin's picture

In baseball, there are two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When three men are out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out when they come in. When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are men called umpires (any number between one and six except five) who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and three men have been out on each side that's in nine times, that's the end of the game! Simple! Oh, except the side that started the game out doesn't always have to come in the last time they get three outs on the side thats in if they had more guys who came in before they were out and games can keep going beyond nine sets of ins and outs sometimes if both teams are equally good at getting people who are in out and keeping guys who are in from coming in before they're out.

Hugs,
- Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

it's simple ...

They play 'till they're outed.

Aardvark

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony."

Mahatma Gandhi

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony."

Mahatma Gandhi

But their wickets

But their wickets get sticky even before they start playing with their balls?

Rules, Minutiae, Cricket, Baseball, American Football

Cricket is not a lot worse than baseball in terms of the actual rules of the game. Like baseball, cricket can vary in the particulars of the match. There are shortened versions of the game that can be enjoyed in an afternoon, and there are lengthened versions of the game that are more like a League Championship or World Series best-of-seven match (the cricket "test match"). But, the rules of play are fairly finite and generally comprehensible in both games. It also helps to have seen a couple of games.

http://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/hosking/cricket/explanation.htm

Unlike either of the above games, however, American football looks like a deceptively simple concept, but the "rule book" is so huge and so often changed, that none are ever made available to the fans. At least I've never found anything resembling an official one on line or for sale. (I'm sure someone will respond with some URL showing how wrong I am.) Even the sports commentators are often left arguing on air as to the interpretations. The history of rule changes is probably longer than the entirety of the current rulebook, too. Every time some team develops a trick or strategy that the poohbahs feel make the game too predictable, or boring, or less fun, they change the rules for the next season to outlaw it. To be fair, many rule changes have been put in place to try to lower the serious injury rate of players. This season saw the debut of the "horse collar" rule, making it illegal to grab a player by the neck of the jersey, or the shoulder pad assembly during a tackle.

While a baseball or cricket fan can see what happens during a game and follow along with play, American football is a game of instant replays and meetings of the referees to decide which side to penalize, when, and how much. Time is added and subtracted from the clock, extra downs are awarded and removed, and in some games, the ball is moved more by the referees than by the players.

So, the rules of cricket might be several, and foreign to Americans, but at least they're finite, relatively constant and don't require instant replay and the wisdom of Solomon to interpret.

Sounds almost as bad as...

...Mornington Crescent :)

That "ins and outs" explanation of cricket still cracks me up - as does the suspiciously similar one for baseball Erin quoted. Not to mention the fun everyone's been having with double entendres and innudendo... brilliant! :)

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Urr...

So, he dreams of Ryan Giggs and the Red Devils, does he? Blech. There ought to be a law. Man U is so rich they can buy anyone. I'm a Toffee fan myself. They stole Rooney from us with their gold, but someday the reincarnation of Dixie Dean will return Everton to their old glory and send Sir Alex raving. :)

I like sports stories -- as if you couldn't tell, and you tell it well.

Aardvark

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony."

Mahatma Gandhi

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony."

Mahatma Gandhi

I still support Cardiff City,

Angharad's picture

sort of, I like to see them do well, but my main interests are cycling and rugby and I do watch the odd cricket test match. I miss playing sports, not that I was ever any good at any - lack of skills, size, strength, coordination, which I made up for with stamina - I used to be like the energiser bunny, just keep going. I suspect the wear and tear from a misspent youth, is now taking it's toll, especially on my back.

Angharad

Angharad

Cricket -- I know a little about the game.

Cricket is an unusual game, but a friend was teaching me cricket (he was from JAMAICA) and it is a unique sport. The Cricket Hall of Fame is in Hartford, Connecticut USA (which doesn't play cricket, but the WEST INDIANS citizens of Hartford created the hall of fame.)

TGSine --958

Owzat!!

LBW... Lost in the mists of time?

With expressions like sticky wicket, googly, leg bye or any of those other terms that may as well be said in Welsh for all the sense they make to me, this game should be taken into the mists and calmly left there.

It's not that I don't like the game, it's just as you said at the end of part 1, pertaining to it being a snooze interspersed with "Well bowled" and such, but like golf is a good walk ruined, cricket is just disturbed sleep.

The story's good though and I wonder how s/he came to be in the position s/he is (and I don't mean in cricketing terms)

NB

BBC Test match Special…

…provides wonderful ball-by-ball commentary on BBC Radio during cricket Test Matches. The late great Brian Johnston (Johnners) was famed for his naughty sense of humour, was heard to announce to the world during an England v. West Indies test match, “We welcome World Service listeners to the Oval, where the bowler's Holding, the batsman's Willey.” Johnners was, of course, referring to the West Indian, Michael Holding, and the England batsman, Peter Willey.

For the full story see: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tv_and_radio/test_match_spec...

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

What can I say :) The

What can I say :)

The premises for this story is still slightly insane to me.
But the story is lovely.

Awh, Go for it ::))
I'll just have to learn how to accept :)

Cheers
Yoron.

LBW

Some of you probably already know this, but to help out others LBW means Leg Before Wicket.