Never Pull on the tail of a Wolf (revised) Chapter 3

Printer-friendly version

Jack and the girls had met up with Debbie, Alex and Robert at the movie theater the next day. Julia and Gina held onto Jack’s hand tightly and stood close to him. Both were nervous and a little scared as they walked away from the safety of the hummer towards the movie theater to stand in line to wait for the tickets. Debbie had suggested the new Smurf movie for the girls. Julia and Gina kept close to Jack as they waited to buy the tickets and then when he took them inside to buy popcorn, candy and soda pop.

Debbie had to prod them to pick out what candy and drink they wanted. She knew the girls were still uncomfortable being out in public, but she wanted them to have fun and enjoy themselves. She notices that Julia was starting to relax some as they moved into the theater. Which to her was a good sign. However, she did notice that Gina had stepped closer to Jack and held his hand tighter as they made their way down to some seats. Julia sat between Robert and Debbie with Alex sitting on the outside next to Robert. Gina sat between Jack and Debbie.

Gina started to tense up when the lights started dimming and she grabbed Jack’s and Debbie’s hand and squeeze them tightly. Jack rubbed her hand as he held her hand in his. He could tell even in the dark that she was scared.

“Relax Gina. Everything is going to be okay.” He places a kiss on the side of her head.

Once the movie started, Gina slowly started to relax and laugh a little as they watched the movie. She even grabbed a few handful of popcorn from the bucket she was sharing with Debbie and Jack. Jack was keeping an eye on Julia as well as she sat between Robert and Debbie. He had notice that she had been a little scared and tense, but once the movie started she relaxed. She was grabbing popcorn and drinking soda from the cup Debbie shared with her.

Jack kept a watchful eye on his daughters as the movie played. He felt Gina let go of his hand as she watched the movie and drunk some soda from his cup. He was proud of both of his daughters. They had come a long way since he brought them home.

After the movie, Jack suggested that the girls go shopping with Debbie while he handle some business. Gina didn’t want to leave him.
Jack looks at Gina “you’ll be okay sweetie. Debbie will be right there with you. Also, I got a little something for you and your sister.”
Jack reaches into his pants pocket and pull out two black looking boxes. He hands a box to each girl.

“Go ahead and open them girls.” Jack watches as each of his girls open the box.

Gina opens hers first and notice a silver necklace with a wolf head that looks just like Cadmus. When Julia looks at hers, she notices it looks just like Sphinx.

“Those necklaces will let me know where you girls are at all times. If someone grabs you or if you get lost or nervous, just press the nose on your wolf head and it will let me know.” Jack demonstrates by pressing the nose on Sphinx wolf head.

The girls hear a beeping sound coming from Jacks cell phone and a map pops up on the screen showing where they are.

“See girls. I’ll always be able to find you along with Debbie, Robert and Alex as well. They have the same app so all four of us can track and find you.” Jack shows both girls. He puts Gina’s necklace on her and help Julia do hers as well.

“Now, why don’t you girls go and do some shopping with your Aunt Debbie while I take care of some business. I’ll be right out here with
Uncle Alex and Uncle Robert waiting for you two.” Jack hands Debbie one of his credit cards so she could put the girls purchases on it. He also kisses each girl on the cheek.

Debbie could see that the girls didn’t want to leave Jack’s presence “come on girls, let’s go spend your father’s money.”

Debbie leads the girls to the nearest clothes store for teens.

Jack watches as his sister in-law leads Julia and Gina to the store. He was going to stay nearby to watch the store.

“So, what are we going to do?” Robert looks over towards Jack and Alex.

“Why don’t you two go and do some shopping as well. I’ll be hanging around here keeping an eye on the girls.” Jack wanted to be nearby just in case the girls were nervous and needed him.

“You sure Jack?” Alex had a few places he wanted to visit.

“Ya, I’m sure.” Jack felt his cell phone vibrate.

“Okay!” Alex and Robert start heading further into the mall.

Jack pulls his cell out to see who just tried to contact him. The number belonged to his mother who still lived in Ireland. Jack presses the redial button to call her back.

“Hello, hi Mom did you just tried to call me?”

“Jack, yes dear. I did just try to call you. How are you and the girls doing?” Cara wanted to be kept up to date about her grandchildren. Ever since Jack adopted Julia and Gina, Cara had been wanting to meet them in person. She knew that Jack wanted to make sure they felt comfortable in strange places and around other people. She was considering flying out to Montana herself to see her grandchildren. That was the reason she was calling to inform her son that she was coming out to the ranch to meet her grandchildren.

“We’re doing fine mother. The girls are doing better and starting to relax around people they don’t know. Were at the mall right now shopping. I asked Debbie to take the girls shopping so she could help them and show them what teenage girls their age wear. I figure they would feel more comfortable shopping with her, then me. Plus, I have no idea what teenage girls their age wear these days.” Jack hate to admit that he was clueless when it came to female fashions.

Cara just giggles at her son’s admission. She knew he tried to be the best at everything he did, but when it came to the female gender. He was clueless like most men. She knew it was going to be difficult for him since he was a single father. It was nice of Debbie to help him out. She had taken to being their aunt and a mother figure to them since he brought the girls home. Cara had also seen the way Debbie looked at Jack. She had seen it the first time when Jack married her older sister.

“Well, it’s a good thing you have Debbie there to help you. You know dear, she does care for you.” Cara figures she’ll prod her son some.

Jack just grin to himself. He knew what his mother was doing. He had feeling for Debbie as well, but he wanted to concentrate on the girls and help them right now.

“I know she’s been a big help with helping the girls to recover and overcome parts of their oral deal. I’m indebted to her and hope to repay that debt. She would make a fine mother to the girls.” Jack figures his mother would catch onto his meaning.

“Just don’t make it too long before you ask her sweetie. Now, the reason I had called you, beside checking up on the girls. Is that I was thinking about flying out to see you and the girls. I want to finally meet my grandchildren in person, instead of just over the internet. I booked my flight for next weekend and I plan on staying a few weeks. Your Uncle Seamus is accompanying me as well. He’s never been to Montana and wanted to see what has you wanting to remain there. I’ll send my arrival day and time to you tonight in an email. Why don’t you pick me and your Uncle up at the airport and I’ll surprise the girls?” Cara figures they could fly from the airport to the private airstrip on the ranch’s property.

Jack thought about it. He had a business meeting in Casper, Wyoming and could pick them up at the airport there and fly them back to the ranch.

“Sounds good mother. I have a business meeting in Casper on Thursday next week. So, I could spend the night in Casper and fly you and Uncle Seamus back to the ranch on Friday when I figure your flight will be arriving at the airport.” Jack could take the Learjet he kept at the ranch, instead of the Cessna he normally traveled in for ranch business.

“That will be fine sweetie. I’ll tell your Uncle Seamus. That way he won’t plan on renting a car and driving out to the ranch. He can use one of the cars at the ranch if he wants to go anywhere.” Cara was just planning on doing some minor shopping and taking the girls to the spa while she was there.

“I’ll inform Selina so she can freshen up the guest rooms for you and Uncle Seamus. I know the girls will be happy to see you mom and to meet Uncle Seamus. He’s a lot like dad was and the girls will take to him instantly.” Jack miss his father and had wish he was still around. He had died while saving the life of a little girl trapped in a car. His father had managed to get the girl free and was running away from the burning car, when it exploded. He had shielded her with his body when the car exploded. Some shrapnel had penetrated his body and embedded itself in his heart.

“Alright sweetie. I’ll call you just before I leave to let you know I am on my way. Give my granddaughters a kiss from me and I’ll see you next week. I love you son.”

“I will mom. I love you too. See you and Uncle Seamus next weekend. Bye mom.” Jack ends the call and put the cell back in his pocket.
Jack stands up off the bench he had been sitting and talking to his mother at and walks over to the nearest candy store to buy himself and the girls some candy. He kept an eye out for the girls from where he was, just in case he was needed. Once Jack has the candy, he looks around to see what stores there were. He and his wife use to come up here and spend the weekend shopping and spending time at the movies.

Not much has changed since she died. There were a few new shops and a couple of new managers that were running the shops his wife visited. He spots Alex and Robert checking out a new book store that had opened. Jack knew that Robert loved reading from a book more than reading from a tablet or eBook reader. Alex had spent time in the military and left after doing ten years. Robert on the other hand use to be a cop in New York city that caught tired of the politics in the police department. He uses to work in the gang unit and had done plenty of undercover work. He just wanted to get away from everything. His superiors found out he was gay and were putting press on him to resigned. Instead he transferred out to Jefferson County sheriff’s department and meet Alex.

Alex was the local lawyer and the two of them met and started seeing each other. They went to California to get married before it became legal in Montana. April had been Alex best woman at their marriage. He had been out of the country doing a job for MI 6 and Alex and Robert had forgiven him for missing their marriage.

Jack walks over towards the girls when they come out of the shop with several bags in their hands. All three had smiles on their faces and new make-up on as well.

“Well it looks like you put my card to good use.” He had a smile on his face.

“I think I have created some shopping monsters.” Debbie looks proudly at the two girls.

Julia and Gina looks towards their father with a smile on their face. They had enjoyed shopping with their aunt Debbie. Sure, they both had been nervous and afraid at first, but once they started looking at some skirts and dresses they relaxed and listen to what Debbie explained to them and let her help them choose their own style of dress. They learned how to put make-up on the proper way if they wanted to wear it.

Even though their faces didn’t need much, it still gave them a certain look that was theirs and not forced onto them.

Gina’s look lean more towards the cowgirl look, while her sister Julia lean more to the business office look. Gina had cowboy boots on, where Julia had two-inch court heels on. Both girls had gotten their ears pierce and were wearing new starter studs. Julia had a few new
bracelets on, where Gina didn’t. Gina had a new necklace on that had her name spell out in silver blocks.

“Well you girls look amazing. Now. Let’s go and find your Uncles and get some dinner.” Jack leans in and kiss each girl on the cheek and kiss Debbie as well.

up
243 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Must be a really good sized

Must be a really good sized ranch to have a runway that will handle a Lear Jet. Nice that the girls will be able to finally meet their grandmother and uncle in person.

Ranch size

Jack's ranch is 1,000 acres big. It originally had a landing strip for a Cessna, before Jack had it redone.

garfieldwritingsf.jpg
If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.”
― Toni Morrison

Runways

Most cattle ranches in the western states have more than enough acreage to handle a long runway... And then some.

alissa