Easy As Falling Off a Bike pt 3105

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 3105
by Angharad

Copyright© 2017 Angharad

  
007b_0_0.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
*****

These weekends come round so quickly that the days in between seem like a blur. I seem to be so busy with work during the week and then with the family at the weekends.

Simon had stayed up in town to talk with Sammi and in the end, she agreed to stay with the bank for at least two more years but on the understanding they recruit a team to work with her for two reasons: the first, to take some of the pressure off her and the second, to ensure continuity if and when she did leave. He okayed that with Henry and she was given leave to recruit who she wanted, up to five people. So this wouldn’t be the usual recruitment process, but her headhunting individuals. They’d start on a salary of 35k and within two years if they achieved what she wanted, that would rise to 50k. Meanwhile her salary would rise to 75k. I couldn’t comment on that as I earned twice that from the university and then my directorship on top. That stayed at the fifty thousand Henry had granted me in the first place even though he had wanted to double it, I arranged for him to redirect the rest into wildlife schemes as grants. However, the bugger outmanoeuvred me because he increased the number of shares I got each year on my birthday. At the current rate they were worth several million pounds except I had to give the bank first refusal were I to sell them.

So if anything happened to Simon or we divorced, I would be comfortably off as they say. Seeing as I tend to live quite frugally, I suspect I’d live very comfortably and my pension forecasts were also looking fairly good too, mainly because Simon arranged them through the bank, including my university one, which I transferred to the bank.

It was Saturday, Danielle was training with the England women’s squad and she had let me know she was okay, Henry had met her at Clapham and taken her on to Wembley; she’d been really excited to be training there and then playing there in two weeks time. That is assuming she makes the squad, and given her spot kicking, she should for that alone. It also assumes she doesn’t get injured—a constant worry for any athlete but especially in contact sports like soccer.

Henry was going to be bringing her home on Sunday, so tomorrow late afternoon to early evening, as much as anything, depending upon the traffic. These days with shops open for six hours on a Sunday, people can shop all week; why, is another matter unless looking for something special.

When I was about eleven, I found a book in a charity shop called the Dumpy Pocket book for Biologists. It cost me fifty pence which was twice its original price. It inspired me to pursue a career in biology. By today’s standards it may seem a bit dull as everything now is either photos or colour illustrations and is usually A4 format or equivalent, B4 I think. My book was filled with black and white drawings about plants and animals, about how to see things, how to use a microscope, grow things to see under it in pond water, how to dissect things like earthworms or insects (didn’t like that bit very much) or collect specimens but also how everything was connected and how the natural world worked. I thought it was wonderful at the time and still do, as I still have a copy on my bookshelves except when Trish has borrowed it or—and this excites me even more—when Danielle borrows it.

She quite enjoys coming out with me mousing or occasionally birdwatching and from the questions she asks, she is thinking about more than just seeing another twitch for her list, she is starting to have ideas about how everything hangs together. I’m obviously encouraging her without any pressure, if that’s actually possible. I know soccer is her main ambition, possibly to captain England women and win a major international trophy, but if her second career were to include a biology or ecology degree, I’d be so proud.

Trish is into mathematics as I’ve said before, she’s like a computer at times. While Livvie could possibly be heading towards the law or finance, she likes systems so watch this space. Trish is also quite a good soccer player but not in Danielle’s league by a long way, but then very few girls are and I suspect the same applies to boys.

Stella—born to shop—Cameron persuaded me to go shopping with her this morning while Simon watched those girls who didn’t want to come with us. Trish didn’t because she was playing soccer for the school. Tom had gone to watch her and I’d been let off spectating duties because she wanted me to get her some new soccer shorts. She still ran around with a number seven shirt with ‘Beckham’ on the back which she was granted as a concession because she nearly refused to play for the school team if she couldn’t continue to wear the shirt and being their top scorer (she plays more often for the school than Danielle). I find it amusing seeing as David Beckham was pretty well retired from regular playing before Trish was tricked into playing in the school. However, he’s one of Danielle’s heroes and a pretty nice guy, so when Trish also became an admirer, I allowed it to happen.

I think I mentioned taking Daniel as he was then to a bookshop where Becks was doing a book signing and we took him a cup of coffee which he appreciated. I think I saw Beckham mentioned in one of the chapters of Gaby when she attended the BBC Sports Personality of the Year. Becks won it in 2001.

Livvie came with us as did Hannah and Pud but the others stayed home with Simon who fortunately had Jacquie there to help him, Meems also stayed with her dad, so I wondered what she was after—he’s easier to part from his cash than I am and they all know it, including him.

Possibly the one who made the most of his generosity was Julie who got his help to buy her own nearly new Jaguar XE but on the understanding she’d pass on the Smart car to Phoebe, Jacquie already had a Mini cooper which Simon acquired for her in recognition of her help with the children. Danielle still has her eye on my vintage Jag but I suspect Simon would veto that as he fancies it. He’s also been looking at an old Mk 2 like Inspector Morse used to drive but they are said to be awful to drive like the old E types, but they certainly turn heads, especially these days.

Personally, I prefer bicycles but even I can admire a nice car and Henry’s Aston Martin is one such. He doesn’t drive it much, too expensive to insure and drive regularly, probably too thirsty too. But the one they created for the most recent Bond film looked absolutely magical, even if it was a one off. Now one of those I’d like to find in my Christmas stocking.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
239 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

so the truth is out

Maddy Bell's picture

Our quantum ecologist is a petrol head - she probably spends lunchtimes doing. Donuts in the staff carpark! Oh sorry, eating donuts is it - lol


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

50K?

That's all? Corrr that is a rip. New grads in the U.S. get over 50K USD nowadays. If that is what they pay comp-sci grads in Blighty to start, no wonder they are having trouble.

In fairness to the story

Sammi's picture

If memory serves HSB paid for part if not half of Sammi's University costs as she was working there while studying.


"REMEMBER, No matter where you go, There you are."

Sammi xxx

Science graduates

Angharad's picture

in the biological sciences are often paid 10k or less but that's £s not $. It often takes a few years to work up to a half decent salary unless you're something very special.

Angharad

I don't want one that fits

I don't want one that fits in a stocking, I'd prefer one that fits in my garage!
Thanks for clearing up who's in the brood, and bringing Henry back. I always liked him.

Karen

Any car like that would

Any car like that would indeed be a delight to find waiting for you, regardless of whether it was in your Christmas stocking or not. How about parked out front of the home with a very large Red Bow on it?

Any car like that would

Any car like that would indeed be a delight to find waiting for you, regardless of whether it was in your Christmas stocking or not. How about parked out front of the home with a very large Red Bow on it?

Thanks Angharad

Thanks Angharad for keeping your saga going and making my Sunday morning ritual complete.

It's been nice to get Sammi back into the story. Let's hope she stays around for a while yet,

If anyone is interested, GCHQ issued a code breaker quiz book just before Christmas, I wonder if Trish has a copy?

Love to All

Anne G.

Now Cathy

An ecologist and environmentalist shouldn't be lusting after a fuel guzzling automobile. (borrow it from Henry sometime - he'd give you anything.)

Cars?

Well, I see my car as an 'evil necessity' and it serves in a strictly utilitarian function. The fact that I prefer to drive my transit van even more than my estate is proof enough that owning an aston or a lamborghini would be anathema to me. Besides, it's good to see taxi drivers skedaddling out of the way when I'm approaching them on a narrow road. The scratches on the sides tend to give it an air of (I don't care if you don't darling.) But I love my van, it's just so damned useful.

bev_1.jpg

Thank you for the practice Angharad

Rhona McCloud's picture

When I started reading Bike the names were a struggle but luckily I persevered. I say lucky because my other half came with 3 genetic children, 2 adopted and a multitude of long-term foster children who have all multiplied like mad into an hoard of grandchildren. Coincidentally(?) along life's highway I have lost the ability to identify the cars I see on the road built after my transition.

Rhona McCloud

Books

Podracer's picture

I still have, though it's looking a bit tatty these days, "The Observers Book of Wild Animals of the British Isles". That and the "Sea and Seashore", "Freshwater Fish" got me and kept me fascinated with the living things around us.
Well Cathy might be considering the girls' future working lives, as they will be off on their courses all too soon.

"Reach for the sun."