Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 956.

Printer-friendly version
Wuthering Dormice
(aka Bike)
Part 956
by Angharad

Copyright © 2010 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

The sun was shining as we trouped out to the cars. The problem is we need a minibus if we go anywhere en famille. I drove Tom’s Mondeo, and Simon drove Tom’s Freelander. Julie was miffed Simon wasn’t taking the Jaguar, she rather fancied herself riding round in it.

Simon took, Tom, Stella and Puddin, Julie and Danny–who insisted on sitting next to Julie. He still fancies her like mad, mind you she is a pretty young thing. I had the rest with me, plus oodles of clothing, swim suits and so on.

They were all so excited–you’d think we were going on holiday, not just away for the day. I think Julie was hoping to wear her new swimsuit, which accentuates her good points and hides the embarrassing ones. I packed mine, but I doubt I’ll wear it; just keeping an eye on six kids is enough.

We got to Southsea at about eleven–it took nearly two hours–there was some sort of road traffic accident–it’s a bank holiday, they’re virtually compulsory. There was so much traffic–I began to think everyone with a car was in or near Portsmouth. The kids were getting fractious it was taking so long and I was feeling frazzled, trying to keep everyone calm.

We were on the second disc of the Philip Pullman, Northern Lights trilogy, when we managed to arrive at the hotel. Simon had got there maybe ten minutes before us–no doubt due to his superior driving skills. I remember when he once said this in front of a group of people, I told him I didn’t play golf and walked away. They laughed for several minutes.

Henry and Monica came down to see us in reception, “Where have you all been?” he asked.

“There’s been an accident somewhere, screwed up all the roads,” Simon explained, “we saw an ambulance screaming past. So it might have been whoever was involved in it.”

“Oh, we heard something on the radio–wasn’t really listening where it was. They’re all over the place, nasty one on the A31 near the New Forest. Too many cars: too few driving skills,” Henry observed.

“Come on kids, let’s play,” said Monica, taking Trish and Livvie by the hand–swimming pool or bouncy castle?”

“Swimming,” they both shouted and took their swimwear. Danny and Billy followed them, with Mima running along behind.

“You going in?” Stella asked me.

“No fear,” I answered, I’m not the world’s most convincing swimmer.

“How about a turn in the gym, use the stationary bikes–it’s all been revamped, so two or more can race against each other.” Henry was quite enthusiastic.

I wasn’t sure I wanted to get all sweaty, despite my body needing a workout.

“C’mon, Babes, give it a go.” Simon seemed unusually enthusiastic.

“Um–no, I’ll go and watch the kids in the pool,” I smiled at him and he asked Julie. She said she was going for a swim before lunch, she might do the bikes afterwards. Simon looked crestfallen. Tom decided to come and watch the antics in the pool with me.

I was most delighted to see Mima learning to swim, almost as well as I did. She seemed to have overcome any anxieties she had about the water, which said loads about her courage.

Despite my enjoyment of the children’s fun, I felt as if I had my own black cloud blotting out the brilliant sunshine which everyone else was enjoying. Tom looked at me and asked what was wrong. I couldn’t tell him–I didn’t know, but something was most definitely not right.

I saw the policeman walking towards us and wondered why he was here, I mean I have no relatives of any closeness, and surely my driving wasn’t that bad that I was going to be arrested. I didn’t see the WPC walking behind him.

“Cathy Cameron?” asked the copper.

“Yes, that’s me.” My stomach flipped.

“Could we have a word, Cathy?”

“Have I done something wrong?” I was feeling very anxious.

“Whit’s up?” asked Tom.

“And you are, sir?” the policeman asked in a forceful but polite manner.

“He’s my father.”

“Could we talk somewhere privately?”

I saw Henry walking towards the pool, “Just a moment, I’ll ask if we can use a room somewhere–Henry?” I called and ran towards him.

“What are the police doing here?” he asked less than happy about uniformed coppers strolling about the place.

“They want to talk to me.”

“What for?”

“I have no idea. Have you a private room we might use?”

“Yes, follow me,” he beckoned to the coppers and Tom walked with them.

Henry led us into a small room off the conference suite, telling reception we weren’t to be disturbed. He invited himself in on the ‘private’ word.

“Who are you, sir?” asked the copper.

“I happen to own this place––”

“–He’s also my father in law–you may speak in front of him.” I answered before Henry lit his blue touch paper.

“There was an accident on the main road into Fratton a couple or so hours ago.”

“Yes, we were held up by it, what does it have to do with me?”

“There was a fatality.”

“I’m sorry, I still don’t see what this has to do with me.” As I said this my stomach was jumping like crazy and I felt quite sick.

“Are you alright, madam?” I heard him say from a distance and I felt someone catch me as I dropped.

Next moment I came to sitting in a chair with the police woman rubbing my hand and calling me while a bunch of men looked on. “Wow, what happened?” I asked regaining control of myself.

“You fainted we think.”

“Goodness, what for?” I shrugged, feeling a bit washed out but otherwise okay.

“The accident, madam.”

“Oh yes, this morning.”

“The casualty was driving an old red Peugeot.”

I nodded to show I was listening. I knew someone with a car like that but who?

“They were carrying a note with your name and address on it. We traced you through that, and the car recognition cameras who saw two vehicles registered at that address heading for here.”

“How come you can track down the innocent but not ever see anyone doing anything illegal?” asked Henry aggressively.

“They tend not to do it in front of our cameras, sir.”

“Note, you say?” I confirmed. “Why are you coming to see me?”

“The individual involved appears not to have had any next of kin. We need to do an identification–sorry, you’re our best shot.”

“No friends?”

“Don’t know, madam–but you possibly knew them.”

“Who was this person with my name and address?”

“A Matthew Perkins.”

“Can’t say I know anyone of that name. Sorry, I can’t help you.”

“They might have called themselves something else–um–they were wearing women’s clothes.”

I promptly threw up all over the carpet before fainting again.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
149 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Oh no!

I guess this is Maureen. What a pity, just as she seemed to be getting her life turned around.

If this is indeed the case, it’s going to have a marked effect on the rest of the ‘family,’ as she seemed to relate well to all of them.

Poignant Sympathy


Bike Archive

Bike 956

Oh no .... please not Maureen

Karen

hope not.

The officer did say 'They' though so the driver of was killed may not have been Maureen.

Kim

Almost certainly...

The clues:

  • Maureen's introduced in 949 - no surname given.
  • She visits in 952 - driving an old banger.
  • Cathy's sense of foreboding throughout this episode.
  • The fact the driver was heading towards Cathy's house.
  • And a male wearing female clothes.

Given the accident happened about an hour ago, Maureen's probably beyond the reach of BLH - even if Trish (and possibly Julie) helped out.
Unfortunately, "You can't save 'em all."

As PS said, it's such a shame because she was just starting to get her life back together and would have been an asset to both the family and the bank. I don't suppose her doctor knows any other TG welders in the Portsmouth area?

 


There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Redshirt or Resurrection?

So, was Maureen just a disposable bit player, like the redshirts in the original Star Trek tv series? Or, are we about to witness an entirely improbable resurrection?

Auto collision trauma is a messy deal, even in survivors. A fatality would likely have died from massive damage. Hard to patch up, and never mind the decomposition since the accident. OTOH, if she's in the local hospital, on life support awaiting organ donation... hmmm, who knows? I'm hoping whatever happens won't strain credulity any more than usual!

An epileptic tree...

OK, so we've been led to assume it is Maureen (see clues in my last comment)... but there are two ways it could potentially be subverted:

a) The police arrive as stated, but Cathy hasn't fully recovered from her feint and dreamed the description.
b) Maureen (improbably) knows another TG and sent them to Cathy.
c) The entire episode is a dream sequence.

Unfortunately, I doubt Angharad will be able to wriggle out of this one credibly, so it looks as though she has killed off the latest character to enter the storyline. Therefore the bank renovations will have to be put on hold, while Tom's outbuildings continue to crumble. I can't imagine Julie or Leon taking up arc welding as a hobby!

 


There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

oh

the torture i hate these cliff hangers they are just so not nice now i get to wonder whats going on and create all different ideas for the next 24 hours about. well loving the story just not the cliff hangers
with hugs from sarav

My heart sank

when Cathy said there had been an accident, Straight away you begin to fear the worst, And sure enough it wasn't too long before the boys in blue appeared....

I really hope its not Maureen, But you have to say the signs are not good....What a shame it would be if at last having had a piece of luck in meeting Cathy, Maureen was to meet such an unfortunate end.

Kirri

That's Terrible!

jengrl's picture

Just when things start going in a positive direction, she ends up losing her life. At least she did spend the last few hours of her life surrounded by joy and laughter. It seems that Cathy is developing emphatic abilities because she felt the sense of foreboding before she found out about Maureen. I have the same ability and I have learned to listen to it after failing to do so a couple of times.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

I may be slow but...

How did the fuzz know that they were all at the hotel?

Susie

How?

“They were carrying a note with your name and address on it. We traced you through that, and the car recognition cameras who saw two vehicles registered at that address heading for here.”

Police Surveillance


Bike Archive

Oh dear, another cliff

Oh dear, another cliff hanger. Now we will all have to wait to see if it was Maureen or another person in the car who died. Maybe Maureen was with a friend that she had that knew of her TS/TG issues and didn't care, and the friend was killed, while Maureen was badly injured. Any thing is possible, and we can only hope. Jan

Ummm. Cathy...

I was wondering if you might help me out a bit... I'm having some trouble. Not much, mind you, just a little bit.

Oops. Sorry, this is a work of fiction.

Interesting premonition she was having. Wonder if she ever saw the person before. I suspect he saw one or more bits on Cathy being TG, and tracked down her addy... And was going. Now, as to the why? Maybe hoping for lighting to strike twice. It came close. He was in an accident, and if he happened to be hit by a car driven by the daughter of some OTHER peer... Nah, it doesn't happen THAT coincidentally, even in fiction.

I'll be curious to see what you have "cooked up" with this one.

Thanks,
Annette

Bike pt 956

Cathy fainted TWICE! So Mauren can still be living because fatality could mean injury from which she *Maureen or other could be healed, or Cathy can be dreaming after fiest faint.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Bailey Summers Auugh!

Bailey Summers

Auugh! Where's the votey thingy?

Good episode, as a Role-player it's sometimes perfectly healthy to kill off a character. It can have long reaching effects.

Bailey Summers

death.

So death hath final come to Cathys' door.
However, the police officer did say 'they'.
Maybe some combined 'Blue Light' from all those who have the gift and perhaps all is not yet become dust.
Hang in there Cathy!
Now you've got us all on tenterhooks!!

Love and hugs,

OXOXOX

Bev.

bev_1.jpg

I hope not

as I truly liked this character. I was looking forward to seeing her adapt and grow.

Drat drat drat

ANG, you killed off poor Maureen, I liked her character.
I knew disaster was going to strike.
Shoot, Shoot, Shoot.
Death where is your sting-a-ling-a-ling.

Cefin