A Ghost Of A Chance. Book 2. Chapter 5

Printer-friendly version


 © February 2013


Part Five of 13+


Chapter Five: Homework and fun

    Chloe followed Stacy up to her room when they got back to Stacy’s house. Chloe got out her textbooks for history while Stacy went to get changed out of her School uniform.

     “I hope this doesn’t take too long.” Stacy said with a sigh when she came out of the bathroom and got out her own textbooks and started to do her homework. “I really want to ride Buttercup.” She added as she looked outside at the blue sky, while thinking about her horse.

     “I’m quite looking forward to riding Shadow.” Chloe agreed. “Anything to help take my mind of Finlay and Jane.” She added with a frown.

     “Is this the first time a boys taken an interest in you?” Stacy asked with a grin.

     “Yes...!” Chloe snapped, looking shocked at Stacy’s question. “What are you trying to say?” She asked nervously.

     “Nothing, I just wondered.” Stacy shrugged.

     “I’ve not been a girl very long, and I never had feelings for a boy while I was James.” Chloe said. “I’ve never had feelings for anyone, other than my mother, then not in the same way as I would for a boy.” Chloe blabbed, looking more and more confused as she said it. “You know what I mean.” She finally said.

     “I’m sorry Chloe, but I just find it hard to believe you have ever been anything but a girl when I look at you.” Stacy said when she realised what she’d just asked. “You’re just such a girlie girl.” Stacy added with a grin.

     “But that would be a good thing right?” Chloe asked looking hopeful.

     “Yes, very good.” Stacy agreed. “I think Finlay shocked most the students today with how he was talking to you.” Stacy went on to say.

     “Why’s that?” Chloe asked looking puzzled.

     “Everyone was beginning to think he might be gay because he kept turning down Jane’s advances towards him.” Stacy whispered, even though it was just the two of them in the room.

     “Maybe he is, and he knows my secret.” Chloe said looking worried. “He does seem to know a lot about me, or the real Chloe, so maybe he knows that I’m not her, and I’m not even a girl.” Chloe started to panic.

     “Trust me Chloe; he thinks you’re a girl.” Stacy grinned as she placed her hands on Chloe’s shoulders to calm her down. “If I couldn’t work out you weren’t a girl, then no one else is going to, not unless they see you without any clothes on.” She added the last bit with a thoughtful look.

     “What am I going to do if he keeps pushing me for a date or something?” Chloe asked still looking nervous.

     “Depends what you mean by ‘or something’.” Stacy grinned.

     “Stacy...” Chloe whined. “I need your help.” She added as she slapped Stacy’s shoulder to show she was being serious.

     “I’ve never had a boy chase after me, so I’m not sure what to tell you.” Stacy shrugged. “Maybe you should talk to Stephi about it, she’s had boys chase her, and she’s gotten good at fending them off without hurting their feelings.” Stacy added looking proud of her idea.

     “That’s a great idea, and she asked me to call her and say how my first day at school went.” Chloe grinned, happy that she had someone to talk to about boys.

     “We better focus on this homework, or we’ll never get out on our horses.” Stacy pointed out with a frown as she tried to do just that.

*****

    An hour later Chloe and Stacy were stood in the kitchen at Stacy’s waiting for Dorothy to check over both their homework to make sure it had been done correctly.

     “Dancing around on the spot and sighing will not make me look at this any faster.” Dorothy said as she looked over her glasses at Stacy.

     “Sorry mother.” Stacy said with another sigh, but she did stop moving around in the hopes that her mother would look through their homework faster so they could go out on their horses.

     “Very well done, I’m impressed, but you do need to keep an eye on your spelling and grammar Chloe.” Dorothy said. “I’ve marked the bits I noticed with a pencil, so you can take a look and see what I’m getting at.” Dorothy added as she handed them their homework back.

     “Do you want me to fix it now Dorothy?” Chloe asked.

     “No, I’m sure you can fix it later at home.” Dorothy smiled. “I’ll let the two of you go and have some fun now.” She added as she stood and walked them to the back door so they could go out to the stables to see their horses.

*****

    The two girls were just getting ready to leave the stables when they saw Sophie and Jade cycle into the yard looking out of breath.

     “Do you think we can join you on your ride?” Sophie asked as she tried to get her breath back.

     “Sure, we’ll wait while you saddle up your horses.” Stacy replied.

    Chloe slipped back off Shadow and walked over to the bag with the mints in, and she stood stroking him and feeding him mints every so often to stop him getting restless. Jade and Sophie soon had Maiden and Rose saddled up, and they set off on a ride through the local woods.

     “Do you know where you’re going Sophie?” Stacy asked, as Sophie and Jade were riding just in front.

     “I want to show Jade this little place I found.” Sophie said with a grin. “Not many people know about it.” She added.

     “I find that hard to believe in this direction.” Stacy said looking puzzled, but she was happy to follow Sophie if she wanted to show Jade some place she’d found that she liked.

     “Why do you doubt what Sophie says?” Chloe whispered to Stacy.

     “It’s just that there’s a popular cyclist trail in this direction, so I tend to keep away from it.” Stacy explained. “But there are some nice spots to stop and check out the landscape.” She added, not doubting Sophie too much.

    Chloe could tell when they met with the cyclist path because there were some of the other students from school using it. Chloe couldn’t blame them for wanting some fresh air after being shut up in classrooms all day.

     “How far is it to this place you want to show Jade?” Stacy asked as Buttercup let out a snort when she was startled by a man on a mountain bike that got a little too close to her. “Buttercup isn’t keen on all these cyclists.” Stacy said once she got her horse under control again.

     “It’s just down this trail here.” Sophie said as she turned her house onto another path.

    Stacy, Chloe and Jade all followed her, and Chloe was soon starring daggers at a grinning Sophie when they came into a small clearing and found Finlay and Paul sat on a fallen tree with a couple of mountain bikes parked up next to them.

     “Hi Finlay, Paul.” Sophie said, as she tried to act like she wasn’t expecting to see them there, but Chloe and Stacy knew otherwise.

     “Hi Sophie, Jade, Stacy, Chloe.” Finlay looked way to happy when he said Chloe’s name. “That’s a beautiful horse you have there, Chloe.” He added as he slid off the tree trunk and made his way over to where Chloe was sat on her horse.

     “Don’t get to close Finlay, Shadow doesn’t like strangers, and I’d hate to see you get hurt.” Chloe said, but she wanted to add the word ‘much’ at the end, but just thought it in her head instead.

     “Animals love me.” Finlay said as he kept walked towards her, but he was soon backing up when Shadow snorted at him. “Well most animals do.” He added as he backed away again with his hands in the air.

     “I thought you said this place was private?” Chloe frowned as she looked at Sophie for an answer.

     “Finlay and Paul must have overheard me telling jade about it earlier.” Sophie said as she tried to look innocent.

     “That must have been some detailed conversation the two of you had, for the two of them to find it so fast.” Stacy pointed out.

     “I hope you enjoy your bike ride, but I want to get on with my ride.” Chloe said as she pulled on one side of Shadow’s rains and then rode off in the direction they had just entered the clearing without saying another word to anyone.

     “I don’t know what you think you were doing Sophie, but that’s not the actions of a friend.” Stacy said just before she rode off to catch up with Chloe.

    Chloe had slowed her pace once she was far enough away from Finlay and Paul, and she turned around looking angry until she realised it was just Stacy chasing after her.

     “You okay Chloe?” Stacy asked looking worried as she caught up with her and slowed Buttercup to match Shadows pace.

     “No I’m not okay...!” Chloe snapped. “I’m sorry Stacy, I shouldn’t snap at you, but I can’t believe Sophie would do something like that.” Chloe sighed.

     “I don’t think she was trying to be mean, she just doesn’t understand you, or your reason for not wanting to spend time with Finlay.” Stacy tried to explain. “As far as her and Jane know, you’re a real born girl, and she’s just trying to help you find love.” Stacy added.

     “I spent years being picked on by boys like Finlay and Paul, so why the hell would I want to hang with them now I’m like this?” Chloe asked close to tears.

     “Finlay isn’t a bully, far from it.” Stacy said. “Finlay and Paul have been known to stop the odd bit of bullying that they have come across.” Stacy added.

     “Whose side are you on?” Chloe asked with a frown. “You almost make it sound like I should go out on a date with Finlay.” Chloe grumbled.

     “He’s not asked you out on a date yet, he just wants to be friends, so why shouldn’t you let him be your friend, and just see what happens beyond that point?” Stacy asked.

     “It may start out as us being friends, but you know as well as I do that it will end up with him wanting more than just friendship.” Chloe grumbled some more.

     “I thought you said you didn’t know much about guys dating habits?” Stacy asked as she tried to hide a smirk.

     “I don’t, but I’ve seen enough of it on TV.” Chloe argued.

     “I still think you should give the whole friendship thing a try, rather than pushing him away because you’re scared he might want to kiss you and do other things with you.” Stacy mumbled the last part.

     “You’re not helping.” Chloe looked even more worried now she was thinking about Finlay wanting to have sex with her, which could never happen at the minute.

     “I’m sorry, but I think you’re just making a mountain out of a mole hill.” Stacy said sounding frustrated with Chloe’s stubborn streak.

    Chloe was just about to say more to Stacy, but she stopped when she heard the sound of horses getting closer to them, she turned around and saw it was Sophie and Jade trying to catch them up.

     “I’m sorry if I upset you Chloe, I thought it might be nice for you and Finlay to get together away from school and Jane Bridgeport.” Sophie said once she’d caught up to them and slowed her horse to a walk. “I don’t understand why you hate him so much?” Sophie asked looking confused.

     “I don’t hate him Sophie, but I don’t want to cause more trouble between me and Jane over him, it’s not worth it.” Chloe lied hoping that Sophie would understand and stop trying to play cupid.

     “Jane will soon get bored and give up, once she sees how well you and Finlay get on.” Sophie said as she waved off Chloe’s worries as being nothing to worry about.

     “I’m just not looking for a boyfriend.” Chloe said, hoping that being honest with Sophie might make her stop trying to pair her up with Finlay.

     “Who said anything about you being his girlfriend?” Sophie asked looking shocked. “I was just trying to help you find another friend.”

     “Can a boy and a girl just be friends?” Chloe asked.

     “Yes, we do it all the time.” Sophie said looking puzzled. “Was your last school run by a group of nuns?” Sophie asked.

     “Something like that.” Chloe said looking nervous. “It was an all girls school, so I’ve not had much practice with boys.” Chloe said as she expanded on the lie, but thought it would help her explain things a little clearer.

     “That does explain a lot.” Sophie said with a look of understanding. “We’ll just have to guide you then.” She added with a smile.

    Chloe wasn’t sure she wanted to be guided in that direction, but she also thought about what Stephanie had said about how she’d had a crush on a boy when she was Chloe’s age, but that hadn’t turned out so well for Stephanie in the end.

     “I’d like to just focus on my grades for the time being.” Chloe said.

     “And we shall, but it doesn’t mean you can’t have some male friends to hang around with.” Sophie smiled.

    Chloe realised that Sophie was set on making Finlay and Paul part of their group, and there was nothing Chloe could say to stop it from happening.

     “Are we still friends Chloe?” Sophie asked with a pout.

     “Yes, we’re still friends.” Chloe said as she found herself grinning when she saw the pouty face Sophie had.

     “Do you want to ride back and talk to Finlay and Paul Then?” Sophie asked with a grin of her own now.

     “Won’t they have left again by now?” Chloe asked, hoping that they had.

     “I asked them to wait for me to have a word with you, to see if I could find out why you hated Finlay so much.” Sophie said as she looked at her watch. “They will still be in the clearing.” She added.

     “Okay then, but only because they rode their bikes quite some distance.” Chloe said as a reason for her caving in and going back to the clearing where they found Finlay and Paul. “But I don’t want you doing anymore tricks like this.” Chloe warned.

     “I promise.” Sophie said looking serious with her hand on her heart.

    Chloe was happy to let Sophie and Jade ride in front as they made their way back to where the two boys were waiting.

     “Are you sure about this Chloe?” Stacy asked in a whisper so as not to let Sophie and Jade overhear.

     “I may as well try being friends with some boys, and you’ve already said that Finlay and Paul are nice.” Chloe shrugged, not sure at all, but she couldn’t keep treating Finlay as the enemy when he was being so nice to her whenever they met.

     “He has always been nice to me, and one of the few that had time for me last term after Tracy told everyone Stephi’s secret.” Stacy said with some pride in her voice for Finlay.

     “Sounds like you have a little crush on Finlay yourself.” Chloe teased with a giggle.

     “No, but Paul is kind of cute.” Stacy blushed. “Maybe we could talk them into a double date.” Stacy said teasingly to Chloe. Stacy couldn’t help giggling when she saw the worried look Chloe suddenly had.

     “Don’t even joke about that sort of thing Stacy.” Chloe said nervously as they approached the clearing and saw the two boys sat on the fallen tree again.

     “I’m glad you decided to come back Chloe.” Finlay said with a smile as he jumped down off the fallen tree and made his way over to where Chloe was just getting of Shadow. “I would really like us to be friends, and I have a feeling that Jane had made you want to hate me.” He added as he pulled something out his pocket and held it up to Shadow’s mouth.

     “I don’t hate you Finlay.” Chloe sighed. “I’m just not sure I want the trouble that being your friend will bring.” She tried to explain.

     “I wish I knew what to say about Jane, and how she’s acting towards you, but she does what she wants, and it looks like you’re already in her sights, so why not be friends anyway?” Finlay asked, making a valid point.

     “What are you feeding my horse?” Chloe asked as she saw that whatever it was, Shadow loved it.

     “Mints.” Finlay smiled. Sophie told me that your horse loves them.” He added as he pulled out another hand full and let Shadow take them from his hand while he patted the side of Shadow’s neck.

     “I think you’ve just made a friend for life, or until you run out of mints.” Chloe giggled as she finally relaxed and started to enjoy Finlay’s company.

     “He’s a beautiful horse.” Finlay said as he looked at the large black horse. “Sophie was telling me that you’re the only one that’s been able to tame him.”

     “Yes, we just kind of bonded from the first moment we met.” Chloe smiled, proud of the fact she had Shadow as her horse. “I think he was mistreated by a previous owner, so he doesn’t trust easily now.” She added.

     “Unless you have a pocket full of mints to tempt him with.” Finlay chuckled as Shadow tried to get his mouth into Finlay’s jacket pocket as he looked for more mints.

     “Do you and Paul come out here on your bikes very often, or is this the first time?” Chloe asked, trying to make conversation that wasn’t about her.

     “We’re always out in these woods when we’re not at school.” Finlay said with a sigh. “I just love to be out in the country.” He added with a deep breath. “You must feel the same way if you’re out here on your horse after your first day at school.” Finlay said turning the conversation back towards Chloe. “How was your first day?” He asked.

     “It was fine apart from all the trouble with Jane.” Chloe frowned.

     “If it makes you feel any better, while Jane is picking on you, she’s leaving some other poor student alone.” Finlay said trying to add a silver lining to Chloe’s problems with Jane. “She’s no good at multi-tasking.” He added with a grin.

     “That doesn’t make me feel any better at all.” Chloe complained as she slapped his arm just before she started giggling at his comment about Jane not being any good at multi-tasking.

     “Hey...! Save the violence for Jane.” Finlay chuckled as he raised his arms to defend himself.

    Chloe found herself liking Finlay now she’d taken the time to actually get to know him. Stacy had been right when she said that he and Paul weren’t the type of boys to bully the other students.

     “What’s it like having a famous mother?” Finlay asked.

     “I don’t have a famous mother, just a mother like everyone else.” Chloe smiled.

     “You know what I mean.” Finlay said as he bumped his upper arm against Chloe’s shoulder.

     “I don’t actually.” Chloe shrugged. “She’s just my sometimes scatterbrained mother, just like everyone else’s can be.” Chloe added with a giggle as some of Spirit’s memories came into her mind of silly things Valarie had done in the past. “What’s your mother like?” Chloe asked Finlay.

     “She’s in international banking and travels all over the world, so I don’t get to see much of her.” Finlay sighed.

     “What about your father?” Chloe asked.

     “He’s also in international banking; they travel around the world together.” Finlay said looking proud of his parents and what they did, but Chloe could also see that he missed being with them.

     “Is that why you come to school here, because their always travelling?”

     “That and this is one of the best schools in the country.” Finlay smiled. “And now you’re here, which is definitely a plus.” He added with a grin.

    Chloe felt herself blushing when Finlay said that, but she had no idea how to respond to his comment, so she asked Paul about his parents. “What about your parents Paul, what do they do?”

     “My father’s an engineer, and my mother’s a fashion designer.” Paul said with some pride in his voice.

     “Does your mother design for anyone famous?” Chloe asked excitedly; glad to finally have another subject other than her to talk about.

     “Yes, she’s designed dresses for several top movie stars in the past, and she’s working on a fashion range for one of the top high street chains at the minute.” Paul explained happily.

     “Oh wow, I’d love to see them if you can find some pictures.” Chloe grinned.

     “I have some pictures saved on my computer back at the dorm, so if you let me have your email address, I can send them to you later.” Paul said as he got his cell phone out ready to get Chloe’s details.

    Chloe pulled out her cell phone and sent First Paul and then Finlay her details. Chloe knew that Finlay would just get them off Paul later anyway, so she didn’t think it a big deal, even if Finlay was grinning like a Cheshire cat as he stored the details on his phone.

     “Would you like me to send you a copy of the pictures as well Stacy?” Paul asked with a smile as he looked at Stacy.

     “Sure, I’d love to see them.” Stacy said as she got her phone out and sent Paul her details once he gave her his phone number. Paul then sent back all his details, so Stacy had his email and windows live ID.

    Chloe smiled when she saw that Stacy liked Paul, and it looked like Paul liked Stacy. Chloe was just worried about ending up on a double date with Finlay if the two of them did get together.

     “We better see about giving the horses some more exercise.” Stacy said when she heard Buttercup make a sound that let her know she was bored with standing around.

     “We should be getting back to the dorm as well, or we’ll miss out on our evening meal.” Finlay said when he realised what the time was. “Will you let us join you for lunch tomorrow at school?” Finlay asked looking hopeful as he looked at Chloe.

     “Sure, wouldn’t want to miss a chance to upset Jane.” Chloe grinned back.

     “Now that does sound like fun.” Finlay chuckled as he got on his bike and then put his helmet on. “I’ll see you tomorrow at school then Chloe.” Finlay smiled just before he started to ride off. He pulled up the front wheel and then rode down the trail on his back wheel showing off.

    Chloe had to slap her hand over her mouth when he almost rode right into a tree, but he dropped the bike back onto both wheels and just managed to steer around it. Paul looked over his shoulder and shook his head as he waved to Stacy more than any of the others.

     “I can see why Finlay wears a helmet now.” Chloe said as she got back on Shadow to carry on their ride.

     “I owe you an apology Chloe.” Sophie said as they rode through the forest on a trail that would take them back to the stables.

     “You’ve already apologized Sophie, and it was nice chatting with Finlay and Paul in the end, so I should be thanking you.” Chloe smiled.

     “I’m not apologizing for that, well I am, but I’m actually sorry for saying that Finlay just wanted to be friends.” Sophie said looking nervous. “I can see that he’s got a crush on you.” She added.

     “Don’t be silly.” Chloe giggled as she thought Sophie was just teasing her like Stacy had been doing earlier, but she soon stopped giggling when she saw that Sophie, Stacy and Jade were all looking serious.

     “I wish I was Chloe, but I could tell that Finlay has really taken a liking to you.” Sophie looked sad as she said it.

     “I’m sad to say that he’s in for some disappointment then.” Chloe said as she looked away from the others, not wanting them to see how worried Sophie’s comment had just made her.

    Chloe was deep in thought for the rest of the ride, and she didn’t say much once they got back to the stables and sorted out their horses. She did give Sophie and Jade a hug and say goodbye to them once the two of them were ready to leave on their bicycles.

     “We’ll see the two of you at school tomorrow.” Sophie said as she first hugged Chloe and then she hugged Stacy. Jade did the same and then they were gone.

     “I’m sorry I talked you into going back and talking to Finlay and Paul.” Stacy said once they were alone with the horses. “I didn’t realise just how much Finlay liked you.” Stacy added looking gloomy.

     “I actually don’t mind.” Chloe smiled with a thoughtful look on her face. “They are both really nice, and I can see that you and Paul like each other.” Chloe added with a grin.

     “Would you go out on a date with Finlay if he asked you to?” Stacy asked with a blush to her cheeks as she thought about Paul and how cute he was.

     “Only if it was a double date and you and Paul came along.” Chloe replied.

     “Now that does sound like fun, but I’m not sure our parents would be alright with it.” Stacy added with a frown.

     “This would be one of the few times that I’d listen to my mother, and do as I’m told.” Chloe said which let Stacy know that she was still nervous about being around boys, even if she did think Finlay and Paul were okay.

     “You will be like Stephi one day, and he’ll never need to know your secret.” Stacy pointed out.

     “But I’d never be able to give him children Stacy, and for that reason alone I’d feel the need to tell him about my past, or some version of it that would explain the reason for me not being able to have children.” Chloe said as she remembered that she’d never be able to tell Finlay or any boy the real reason, as she was supposed to be a real girl, not a transgendered one.

     “So you do like boys then?” Stacy asked looking excited.

     “Hold on a minute, I never said I liked boys, I just don’t, not like Finlay and Paul.” Chloe argued.

     “That’s the same thing.” Stacy giggled as she slapped Chloe on the arm.

     “What’s the same thing?” Ashley asked as she walked around a corner to where Chloe and Stacy were stood feeding the horses.

     “Hi Aunty Ash, Come and say hello to Shadow and Buttercup.” Chloe said as she ran over and grabbed Ashley’s arm before she started pulling her back to where the large black horse was eating from a large bucket of oats with fruit mixed in.

    Ashley had heard a lot about Shadow, but this was the first time she’d ever seen him, and he was a large beautiful looking creature, and Ashley could see why Jennifer had been worried when Chloe said she wanted him.

    Shadow stopped eating and looked at Chloe and Ashley when they got closer to him. He looked down at Chloe’s hand and then he looked at Ashley’s.

     “He’s looking for mints.” Spirit’s voice said just before she appeared on the other side of Shadow to what Chloe, Ashley and Stacy were stood.

     “I thought he’d be too busy eating his dinner to want mints.” Chloe said.

    Shadow made a noise, which Spirit then translated. “He says he can always find room for mints.” Spirit giggled.

     “And didn’t you get enough of them from Finlay?” Chloe asked.

     “He says no, and he likes happy boy.” Spirit said after Shadow made another noise.

     “Happy boy...?” Chloe asked looking puzzled as to the name Shadow had given Finlay.

     “Shadow says that the boy with the mints had a big smile on his face when you went back to see him.” Spirit grinned as she told Chloe what Shadow was saying about Finlay.

     “We better give you some more mints then.” Chloe said as she walked over to the bag hanging on the wall and she got two handfuls of mints and then she gave Ashley some to give to Shadow, while she went and gave some to the other horses.

     “He won’t bite me will he?” Ashley asked nervously as she looked down at the hand full of white mints.

     “No, just hold your hand up to his mouth, and he will take them without doing you any harm.” Chloe promised.

    Ashley held up a shaking hand and watched as Shadow gently licked up all the mints and crunched on them before he then rested his head on Ashley’s shoulder.

     “What’s he doing now?” Ashley asked sounding a little panicked.

     “He’s just saying thank you for the mints.” Chloe giggled. “Just give him a pat and a stroke on the side of his neck, and he will know that you except.” Chloe added as she made her way back down the row of stables to join Ashley again.

    Ashley did as Chloe said, and Shadow lifted his head and then went back to eating his oats and fruit. “That’s amazing Chloe.” Ashley said as she carried on stroking the side of Shadow’s neck. “I’d love to come out on a ride with you some time.” She added.

     “Have you ever ridden before Ashley?” Stacy asked.

     “Yes when I was younger, but I have been thinking about giving it a go again ever since Chloe started telling me about Shadow and the fun times she’s been having riding him.” Ashley explained.

     “I know that Stephi wouldn’t mind if you rode Snowflake while she’s away, so you’re welcome to come over anytime and join us, and we can soon find you another horse to ride when Stephi is home.” Stacy said happily.

     “Would it bother you if I joined you every once in a while for a ride?” Ashley asked as she looked at Chloe.

     “I’d love for you to join us Aunty Ash.” Chloe grinned as she jumped into Ashley’s arms to give her a hug.

    Ashley giggled as she hugged Chloe. She did find it a little strange for a teenage girl to want a grown up around, most the time they just wanted to get away from them, but then Ashley thought about how starved of love Chloe had been as James, and thought that Chloe just wanted to get as much love and affection as she could now.

     “I’ll try and keep out the way when you’re meeting with your boyfriend.” Ashley said in a fake whisper.

     “He’s not my boyfriend...!” Chloe shot back as she broke the hug and starred daggers at her aunty.

    Ashley just giggled even more when she saw the look on Chloe’s face. “He’s a boy and he’s your friend, so he’s a boyfriend.” Ashley argued, just to tease Chloe a little more.

    Chloe’s mouth opened and closed like she was about to say something, but no words came out, due to her not really having a counter argument to use against her aunt. “He’s just a friend.” Chloe ended up saying.

     “Yes he is, and he’s also a boy.” Ashley smirked.

    Chloe opened her mouth to speak again, but stopped when she saw her aunty smirking, so Chloe just let out a frustrated growl and went back to bedding down Shadow for the evening. Chloe didn’t actually mind the teasing she was getting from Ashley; it was kind of nice to have someone to play around with like that.

    Once they had all the horses sorted out with some help from Ashley and Spirit, Chloe followed Stacy into the house to get her book bag so she could go home and have dinner, and also fill her mother and aunt in on her first day at school. Spirit had vanished again before Chloe went into Stacy’s house.

     “Are you sure you don’t mind taking over the school run Ashley?” Dorothy asked as she followed Stacy and Chloe out to Ashley’s car where she was sat waiting for Chloe.

     “Not at all Dorothy, I can see you have your hands full running the stables.” Ashley said as she looked over her shoulder to where the stables were.

     “It can be a hand full at times.” Dorothy sighed. “Stacy was just telling me that you helped them settle the horses for the night, and you will be going for rides with them.”

     “Yes, it’s nice to help out, and I like to keep busy.” Ashley smiled. “I’m quite looking forward to getting on a horse again as well.” Ashley added with a grin.

     “Please feel free to pop over anytime for a coffee and a chat.” Dorothy smiled back.

     “I’d like that a lot and I’ll even help out around the stables if you’d like?” Ashley offered.

     “You’ll not find me turning down the offer of help around the place.” Dorothy grinned.

     “I’ll see you in the morning then, when I come to pick Stacy up.” Ashley smiled, happy that she’d made a new friend herself.

    Chloe gave Dorothy and Stacy a hug, and thanked Dorothy for her help with her homework, then she got in the car beside Ashley, and they both waved as they drove out the yard and onto the main road heading for home and dinner.

     “So how was your first day at school as a girl?” Ashley asked as she drove along the country road. “And I mean really.” Ashley added.

    Chloe knew that Ashley wanted all the details now that Dorothy wasn’t around. “It was better than I thought it would be, but I did make an enemy of a girl called Jane Bridgeport.” Chloe said rolling her eyes as she looked over at Ashley.

     “How did you mange that?” Ashley asked.

     “It’s all to do with the boy Spirit and Shadow was talking about.” Chloe sighed heavily.

     “You mean this Finlay?”

     “Yes that’s the one.” Chloe frowned. “He’s read all of mother’s books, and he came over to me asking me some questions.” Chloe started to explain.

     “What does that have to do with this Jane not liking you?” Ashley asked looking puzzled.

     “It turns out that this Jane has a crush on Finlay, but Finlay won’t give her the time of day because he likes a girl with something other than air holding their ears apart.” Chloe giggled.

     “So she’s jealous over him talking to you about your mother’s books?” Ashley asked as she thought she was getting the grasp of where this conversation was going.

     “Yes, and she just happens to be the head bitch in the school.” Chloe frowned some more. “I said she could have Finlay if she wanted him, but that just seemed to make her even madder.” Chloe added looking confused.

     “Not a good thing to say to a girl like this Jane sounds.” Ashley said with a pained look. “Her ego can’t cope with being told by a plain looking girl like you, that she can have a boy that doesn’t want her.” Ashley explained.

     “How was I suppose to know that when I said it?” Chloe whined.

     “You’ll soon learn to understand how things work with girls of your age.” Ashley giggled as she reached over and took hold of Chloe’s hand.

     “Can I ask you a question Aunty Ash?” Chloe asked looking serious.

     “Sure sweetie, you can ask me anything.” Ashley smiled as she looked over at Chloe quickly before returning her eyes to the road again.

     “Did you have any boys that were just friends while you were growing up?”

     “Yes, some, but most the time the boys were just trying to find the nerve to ask me out, or get close to a friend so they could ask them out.” Ashley said with a sigh as she thought back to being Chloe’s age.

     “Stacy and Sophie think that Finlay likes me, but I’m not sure how I feel about him.” Chloe said looking confused.

     “I think you’re still a little young to be worried about your feelings for boys, and your mother won’t let you date yet anyway.” Ashley frowned.

     “Spirit said the same thing to me the other day.” Chloe said. “Should I have feelings for boys though, even when I’m older?”

     “Sure, you’re a girl, and at some point all girls fall in love with a boy, well all the ones that don’t fall in love with another girl.” Ashley explained.

     “But I have boy bits, so doesn’t that make me gay?” Chloe asked in a whisper, like she was embarrassed to say it.

     “Stephi would be the best one to talk to about this, but I’ll give it a go.” Ashley smiled as she tried to think of some way to help Chloe understand who she was a little better. “How do you feel about Stacy?” Ashley asked.

     “I love her, she’s my best friend.” Chloe said in a tone that said she thought Ashley was mad for asking such a silly question.

     “I know that, but do you want to kiss her whenever you see her?” Ashley tried to explain.

     “No...!” Chloe said pulling a funny face.

     “So you love her like you love me and your mother?” Ashley asked with a giggle.

     “Yes, it’s just like that.” Chloe said with understanding in her voice.

     “That’s because you have the mind of a girl, so having feelings for a boy is normal for you, even if the body doesn’t match the mind at the minute.” Ashley said looking a little smug.

     “But why do I still feel like it’s wrong for me to like boys?” Chloe asked looking confused.

     “You spent twelve years as a boy, or what you thought you needed to be as a boy.” Ashley started to explain. “You can’t just expect all those feelings and everything you were tort to just go away over night. It will take time for you to learn how to be a girl in all aspects of your life.”

     “So if I do start having feelings for boys, it won’t be a bad thing?” Chloe asked.

     “No, not at some point in the future, but your mother might get a little upset if you started dating to soon.” Ashley warned.

     “I’m still not sure I even like boys.” Chloe said as she screwed her face up again and shuddered at the thought of letting a boy kiss her.

     “You’ve had a pretty rough time of it with the males in your life, so it will do you good to hang with Finlay and his friends.”

     “Finlay and Paul do seem much nicer than the boys at James’ old school.” Chloe smiled as she thought about them both. “I’m not sure if that’s just because they see me as a girl though.” Chloe added with doubt in her voice.

     “Try not to over think everything sweetie.” Ashley said as she reached over and took hold of Chloe’s hand again. “Did you have to remember to act like a girl at all today?” Ashley asked as she tried to make a point.

     “No, I was just myself, all apart from remembering to draw on the gift that Spirit gave me, so I could do some of the lessons I had.” Chloe said with a little laugh as she realised she had just been herself.

     “I bet you had to work at being James when he went to school?” Ashley asked.

     “Yes, I used to look at the other boys and try to copy what they did and how they acted around others, but I wasn’t any good at it, and that’s what got me in trouble most the time.”

     “But being Chloe and going to school as a girl feels right?” Ashley asked with a grin, already knowing the answer by the look on Chloe’s face.

    Yes it does. “Chloe nodded with a grin of her own.

    Ashley pulled into the drive back at the house as Chloe answered, so they ended the chat, so Chloe could get into the house and tell Valarie all about her day at school.

    Valarie was just doing the finishing touches to dinner when she heard the patter of feet just before she saw Chloe run into the kitchen grinning. Valarie was just about to warn her about running in the house when Chloe ran over to her and threw her arms around Valarie’s waist and hugged her.

     “Hi mummy.” Chloe said as she buried her face in Valarie’s chest.

     “Hello sweetheart.” Valarie ended up saying with a little laugh as she wrapped her arms around Chloe and hugged her back. “Did you have a good time at Stacy’s?” She asked when Chloe broke the hug.

     “Yes I did mummy.” Chloe grinned.

     “I hope you did your homework first, just like you promised?” Valarie asked looking serious.

     “Yes mummy, but Dorothy did point out a couple of spelling mistakes and grammar problems I need to fix later.” Chloe admitted.

     “That’s good then sweetie, now run up and get cleaned up so we can eat.” Valarie said as she turned Chloe around and pointed her towards the kitchen door.

    Chloe ran off again giggling, almost knocking Ashley over who was just entering the kitchen as Chloe left. Sorry Aunty Ash...!” Chloe shouted from out in the hallway.

     “Don’t run in the house young lady...!” Valarie shouted to her, but she was smiling, happy to see that Chloe had enjoyed her first day at school.

     “That poor kid is so confused about everything.” Ashley sighed as she sat at the kitchen table.

     “In what way?” Valarie asked looking concerned.

     “She had a boy take a liking to her today, and she’s not sure if that makes her gay.” Ashley said keeping the story short, but still trying to get the main point across.

     “Oh, I see.” Valarie said fully understanding what her sister was getting at. “Were you able to help her work through it?” She asked.

     “I think I helped her understand things a little better, but it will take time for her to fully come to grips with the fact she’s a girl, so she’s going to start taking an interest in boys at some point.” Ashley added with a shrug.

     “Just as long as it’s not too soon.” Valerie said sounding just like a mother worried for her daughter.

     “I already warned her about that.” Ashley said with a roll of her eyes. “Not that you need to worry by the sounds of it, I don’t think Chloe is ready to start trusting boys that much, but it will do her good to have a couple of boys that are her close friends.” Ashley added looking hopeful.

     “Just not to close.” Valarie frowned. “The last thing we need is something like what happened to Stephanie.” Valarie added with more worry.

     “Chloe has Spirit to watch over her, so I think she’s in a much safer place than Stephanie was at her age.” Ashley said as she got to her feet to help Valarie finish sorting out dinner.

*****

    Chloe returned to the kitchen once she was washed and changed into a pair of shorts and a t-shirt. Valarie and Ashley were just dishing up dinner, so Chloe got a drink from the fridge and then took her seat at the table. She told Valarie and Ashley all about her day, and the trouble she’d had with Jane Bridgeport. Chloe even told Valarie about the idea Jennifer had had for her to go in and give a class on how she became an author.

     “I’m not sure many of the students would be interested in hearing about that.” Valarie said.

     “Jennifer said it would stop the other students from bugging me trying to find things out.” Chloe said.

     “Did you have many students asking you questions today?” Valarie asked.

     “I had a couple, and it looked like some wanted to come and ask me, but were too nervous.” Chloe started to explain. “A boy called Finlay is really interested in meeting you.” Chloe added with a frown as she thought about Finlay talking to her on and off all day, and the trouble he started between her and Jane.

     “Is this Finlay the boy you have feeling s for?” Valarie asked with a smirk.

     “I don’t have feelings for him...!” Chloe said looking shocked as her face turned a deep shade of red. “I can’t believe you told her that Aunty Ash.” Chloe added as she looked angry with Ashley.

     “Don’t get so worked up sweetie.” Valarie giggled. “You’re a very pretty girl, so it would stand to reason that a boy would want to talk to you.” Valarie added.

     “But I don’t know how to act around him mummy.” Chloe whined. “I thought I was doing okay at school today, but Sophie told me that I was being a flirt.” Chloe grumbled.

     “Boys can be tricky sweetie; each one will act in a different way depending on what you say to them.” Valarie said looking thoughtful for a couple of seconds. “Just try being friends with him, and don’t let him think you want anything more than that, if he’s a true friend then he will stand by you, but if he pulls away, then you know that he was looking for more than just friendship.”

     “Just treat him the same as you would Stacy and the others.” Ashley offered her advice.

     “That would work, but don’t hug him like you would Stacy, or that could give him the wrong idea as well.” Valarie warned.

    Chloe’s head was swimming by the time her mother and aunt had done giving her advice, and she was glad to have the dishes washed and dried, so she could go up to her room and sort out her mistakes with her homework.

*****

    Chloe had finished her homework and was just flicking through a magazine when she felt Spirit appear in the room, so she looked up and smiled at her.

     “Hi sis. Everything alright?” Chloe asked. “I thought I might have seen you before now.” She added as she closed the magazine and sat up on her bed.

     “Everything is fine, but I did get in trouble for that stunt I did on Jane.” Spirit said with a roll of her eyes. “It’s not a proper use of my powers.” She added, sounding just like Samantha. Which stands to reason as it would have been Samantha telling her off.

     “Did you have to write more lines?” Chloe asked with a pained look.

     “No, Sammi just warned me not to do it again, but she was smirking, so I don’t think she was too bothered, and she also said that Jane was asking for it.” Spirit giggled.

     “I’m glad that you stopped her throwing her lunch all over me.” Chloe said with a grin as she remembered Jane getting covered in her left over lunch when she was about to spill the tray on Chloe, but Spirit appeared between them so only Chloe could see her. Spirit had then tipped up the tray towards Jane, so she ended up with the mess all over her.

     “Me too.” Spirit giggled as she sat on the bed next to Chloe and rested her head on Chloe’s shoulder. “I thought you were going to tell mother about you having some classes with Susan Smith?” Spirit asked.

     “I thought about it, but then changed my mind again.” Chloe said sounding nervous.

     “What are you thinking of doing sis?” Spirit asked as she lifted her head to look Chloe in the eyes.

     “I know if I tell mum, she will say that I have to keep away from her, so this way I can talk to Susan without getting in trouble with mother.” Chloe explained.

     “You’re insane if you think that will stop you getting in trouble.” Spirit said looking worried. “Mum will be angry that you kept this from her.” Spirit frowned.

     “True, but she won’t get angry with me for going against her orders.” Chloe said sounding smug.

     “For the record, I think this is a very bad idea.” Spirit said with a shake of her head. “Just how much are you planning to tell her about you?” Spirit asked with worry in her voice.

     “Nothing, other than what I know of you.” Chloe said. “I just want to try being friends with her.”

     “From what Stacy’s said, that’s easier said than done.” Spirit frowned. “But we will worry about that tomorrow, or when you get a chance to try talking to her.” Spirit grinned. “I want to hear all about Finlay, and how you feel about him.” Spirit giggled as she threw herself at Chloe, knocking the two of them flat onto the bed.

     “He’s alright I guess.” Chloe shrugged.

     “Alright...!” Spirit said looking shocked. “He’s cute, funny, and seems like a really nice guy, what is there not to like?”

     “Nothing, but I’m not sure how I feel about boys, or how I should feel about them.” Chloe asked as she pulled herself from under Spirit and sat up again looking sad.

     “I heard what you said to Aunty Ash in the car coming back from Stacy’s.” Spirit said as she sat up beside Chloe and wrapped an arm around her. “You are a girl sis, so it’s normal for you to have feelings for a boy.” Spirit added.

     “I just feel too much like a boy myself though, that I’m scared of what will happen if he finds out what I am.” Chloe admitted with a snuffle as she felt a tear run down her cheek.

     “You’ll soon start to develop like a girl, and then you will feel much happier about yourself sis.” Spirit said as she pulled Chloe into a hug and Chloe could cry on her shoulder.

     “Why did I have to be born with the wrong body sis?” Chloe asked as she sobbed on Spirit’s shoulder. “Why couldn’t I have been born a girl like you and Stacy?”

     “I don’t have the answers to that Chloe, but I’m here to help you get your wish now.” Spirit said in a soothing voice as she hugged her new sister.

    Spirit held Chloe until she stopped sobbing and then she helped her wipe her eyes. Chloe let out a sigh that made it sound like she needed to get all that off her chest.

     “Are you okay sis?” Spirit asked with worry in her voice.

     “Yes, I’m fine.” Chloe said with a weak smile. “I do feel much better now oddly enough.” Chloe added with a puzzled look.

     “Maybe you should call Stephi and talk to her about how you feel.” Spirit suggested. “If anyone can understand how you feel, it will be Stephi.”

     “I said I’d call her anyway, and let her know how my first day went.” Chloe said as she remembered her promise.

    Chloe grabbed her cell phone off the nightstand and scrolled down her list of phone numbers until she came to Stephanie’s cell number, and then she hit the call button. It rang several times before going to voice mail.

     “Hi Stephi, I was just calling to let you know how my day went at school.” Chloe started her message. “It was okay, but I am having some trouble with my feelings, and I’d like to chat with you about it at some point.” She added. “I’ll call you again tomorrow night. Bye...” Chloe said before ending the call.

    Chloe felt totally drained by the time she’d called Stephanie, so she got ready for bed and then she started watching some TV cuddled up with Spirit and their two kittens. Chloe was soon fast asleep and Valarie looked in on her and turned off the TV after she’d kissed both her daughters goodnight. Spirit wasn’t sleeping, it just looked like it, but she was actually in a deep trance as she helped Chloe find some happy dreams.

    Valarie returned down stairs to enjoy a glass of wine with Ashley, happy that her daughter had gotten through her first day of school without too much trouble.

*****

 

To Be Continued Next Tuesday  GRIN

 

Story by SaraUK

 

Edited and Posted by SamanthaK

    EDITORS NOTE: Please Comment and/or leave Kudos and let Sara know you like her work please, Any comments on spelling, grammar or the layout of the story please PM me “Samanthak” not Sara. Thank you

up
169 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Finlay will be a very good

friend for Chloe. Shadow likes him and he likes Chloe.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine