A Ghost Of A Chance. Book 2. Chapter 14

Printer-friendly version


 © February 2013


Part Fourteen of 16+


Chapter Fourteen: Heather’s goodbye

    Ashley was still all smiles on the Sunday morning when Chloe entered the kitchen dressed in the clothes she was going to wear to go riding in.

     “Morning Aunty Ash.” Chloe giggled as she was pounced on again and almost hugged to death.

     “Good Morning my beautiful little niece.” Ashley smiled just before she kissed Chloe on the forehead and went back to sorting out some breakfast for the three of them.

     “Where’s mummy?” Chloe asked with a giggle as she took a seat at the breakfast table.

     “She’s already busy writing, but I’m going to make her stop and join us shortly.” Ashley said as she brought Chloe a glass of juice over and handed her some pills to take. “Your mother was telling me that you had a good time yesterday.” Ashley added with a smirk.

     “Yes I did.” Chloe blushed as she popped the pills in her mouth and then washed them down with the juice. “Mummy told me that you met a guy as well.” Chloe was hoping to change the subject away from her.

     “Yes I did, but I don’t want to say too much about it just now.” Ashley smiled and then spun on her heels and went back to carry on sorting out breakfast.

    Chloe was glad to let her aunt carry on because it meant she was too busy to ask her questions about Finley, questions Chloe didn’t have the answers to just yet.

     “Can you do me a big favour and go tell your mother that breakfast is ready?” Ashley asked a couple of minutes later.

    Chloe slid off her seat and ran off to the study where Valarie did her writing. Chloe knocked on the door and waited for her mother to say she could enter, which didn’t take long. Chloe stepped into the room and smiled as she saw Valarie’s head appear around the side of the large monitor she had on her desk.

     “Good morning sweetie.” Valarie smiled back at her. “Did you sleep alright?” She asked.

     “Morning mummy.” Chloe said as she ran around the desk and threw her arms around Valarie to get a hug from her. “Yes I slept like a log.” Chloe informed her mother as she enjoyed the hug. “Aunty Ash sent me to tell you breakfast is ready.” Chloe added as she looked up at her mother from where her head was resting on Valarie’s chest.

     “We better go and eat then.” Valarie smiled down at Chloe just before she leaned down and kissed her on the forehead. Valarie had learned not to argue with Ashley when it came time to eat. Ashley had more than once dragged Valarie away from her computer by her ear so she would eat.

    Valarie wrapped an arm around Chloe as she walked at her side towards the kitchen where she could smell the wonderful aroma of fresh bread among other smells that let Valarie know how hungry she was.

     “Are you sure everything is alright sweetie?” Valarie asked as they entered the kitchen. “You look nervous about something.” Valarie added when she saw the worry spread across Chloe’s face.

     “I do need to tell you something mummy, but I need Spirit to appear, so she can help me tell you.” Chloe said nervously.

    As though she had been waiting for a cue from Chloe, Spirit appeared in the room, making Ashley jump as she turned around and found her dead niece stood between her and the breakfast table.

     “I’m going to get you fitted with a bell young lady.” Ashley snapped, but she did lean over and kiss Spirit good morning and smiled at her.

     “Sorry Aunty Ash.” Spirit giggled. “Morning mummy.” Spirit added as she looked over to where Valarie was helping Chloe to take her seat at the table again.

     “Good morning sweetie.” Valarie said as she pulled out the seat next to Chloe so Spirit could sit down as well. Valarie gave Spirit a hug and kissed her on the forehead as she sat down. “So what is it you need to talk to me about?” Valarie asked as she took her seat at the table.

    Chloe looked at Spirit expecting her to start explaining, but Spirit just looked back at Chloe as if to say ‘this is your part of the job.’ Chloe let out a sigh and then looked back at her mother, who was still waiting for one of them to start explaining.

     “I know what you said about me keeping away from anything to do with Heather Porter, or Jane, but I have to go and see Heather’s parents today, so I can help Heather move on.” Chloe said, and then waited for her mother to start shouting at her about it, but Valarie just looked back at her as she thought about it.

     “Is there no other way for this to be done, other than Chloe going to see this Heather’s parents?” Valarie asked Spirit after a couple of minutes.

     “I’m afraid not mother.” Spirit replied.

     “How do you plan to get there and talk to them?” Valarie asked.

     “Stephanie is going to drive us over there, and Stacy is coming with me, as she was in the same year, so it will look like I’m just tagging along as a friend.” Chloe explained.

     “I think it’s better if I take the two of you.” Valarie said.

     “I’m not sure that’s such a good idea sis.” Ashley said as she joined them at the table. “If Chloe goes with Stephanie and Stacy, it will look like a friend just tagging along, but if any reporters see you there and work out who you are, then it would be like painting a target on yours and Chloe’s backs.” She went on to explain.

    Valarie opened her mouth to argue, but stopped when she realised that Ashley had a point. “I hate it when you point out the obvious.” Valarie grumbled at her sister’s logic.

     “I can’t help it if you got the imagination and I got the smarts.” Ashley said looking smug with herself.

    Chloe had to slap a hand over her mouth trying to hide a giggle, and Valarie just stuck her tongue out at her sister. This made Chloe giggle even more.

     “I’m still not happy about this, but I can see that it’s something you need to help with, but please be careful.” Valarie warned. “I’m trusting you to keep her safe.” Valarie added as she looked at Spirit.

     “You know I will mother.” Spirit said looking a little hurt that Valarie could say such a thing to her, but she knew that Valarie was just worried about Chloe’s secret getting out, and her losing her new daughter.

     “If it wasn’t for the fact I know what it’s like to not know why something happened to my child, I’d be stopping you from doing this, but Heather’s parents need to know that their daughter is okay, even if they won’t remember it.” Valarie said with more understanding in her voice. She’d felt better once she found out that Spirit was doing fine on the other side, and she’d brought her James, who was now the new Chloe.

    Once Chloe finished her breakfast she went up and finished getting ready before she said goodbye to her mother and Aunty, Chloe then went out and got on her bike before she rode over to Stacy’s house for their morning ride.

*****

    Stephanie and Stacy were already out at the stables when Chloe arrived, so she placed her bike up against a wall far away from the stables and then ran over to give them both a hug.

     “Hi Stephi, Stacy...!” Chloe shouted as she leapt into Stephanie’s arms.

     “Hi baby sister.” Stephanie giggled as she hugged Chloe back.

     “Hi Chloe.” Stacy grinned as she joined the hug. “Did you tell your mum about going to see Heather’s parents later?” Stacy asked once they broke the hug.

     “Yes, Spirit and I explained it all at breakfast.”

     “And how did she take it?” Stephanie asked.

     “She wasn’t happy about it, but she does understand the need for me to help Heather and her parents.” Chloe sighed. “Mum’s just worried about my secret getting out if the press find out who I am, or aren’t in this case.” Chloe frowned in confusion.

     “I can play around with your look before we go out, and if the press do ask who we are, then I can just give them a false name for you so anyone that knew the other Chloe won’t connect the dots, and anyone that knows you, will just think the press got the name wrong.” Stephanie shrugged like it wasn’t a big deal.

     “You make it all sound so simple.” Chloe smiled.

     “We can worry about all that later, but for now, let’s go for a ride.” Stephanie grinned as she guided Chloe to the stall where Shadow was getting excited to see Chloe.

    They soon had their horses saddled up, and they set off into the wooded area that ran across the back of the stables and fields Stephanie and Stacy’s parent’s owned.

     “How did Susan enjoy the shopping trip yesterday?” Chloe asked Stephanie once they were on the trail riding side by side.

     “She was a little shy to begin with, but we soon had her trying things on and having a laugh with us.” Stephanie giggled at the memory of her, Sophie and Jade taking Susan shopping while Chloe and Stacy went on their dates with Finlay and Paul.

     “Were you able to get a good look at her?” Chloe asked as she looked down at her own groin area to indicate what she meant.

     “No...!” Stephanie snapped. “I didn’t even try, and she was careful to only use changing rooms where she was on her own, but from what I did see, she is developing a nice set of breasts.” Stephanie said as she wiggled her eyebrows.

     “I can’t imagine what it’s like to be raised as a boy all your life, just to find you’re developing a set of breasts, and then find out that you’re really a girl with a medical problem.” Stacy said as she looked to be thinking about being like that.

     “I could live with a problem like that.” Chloe sighed.

     “Me too baby sister.” Stephanie agreed.

     “At least you now look the way you should.” Chloe pouted. “I’m just a screwed up freak.” Chloe added with another sigh.

     “You’re not a freak...!” Stephanie said in a scolding tone as she pulled her horse to a stop and grabbed Shadows reins to make Chloe stop as well. “You have a medical problem, just like Susan does, it’s just a different problem, but you are not a freak.” Stephan said in a much softer tone as she took hold of Chloe’s hand and smiled at her. “But I do know how you feel, and one day you will be like me.” Stephanie grinned.

     “Oh god I hope not...!” Chloe said looking shocked for a couple of seconds, just before she started grinning when she saw the look on Stephanie’s face. Chloe was soon giggling as she tapped Shadows side and the two of them took off in a gallop, leaving Stephanie and Stacy looking at hers and Shadow’s back.

     “You cheeky little...!” Stephanie said as she took off after her on Snowflake. Stacy giggled as she got Buttercup to follow them.

    Stephanie finally caught up with Chloe when Chloe slowed Shadow down to a walk again, and then Stacy caught up with the two of them and they continued the ride while Stephanie told them about her shopping trip with Susan, Sophie and Jade.

*****

    Chloe was patting Shadow when she saw Stephanie and Stacy walk back out to the stables after they had gotten changed after getting back from their ride.

     “Are you nervous about meeting Heather’s parents?” Stephanie asked once she and Stacy got to the fence where Chloe was stood with Shadow on the other side.

     “Yes, and for more than one reason.” Chloe admitted.

     “You coped alright when you helped Sophie sort things out with her mother, so she could pass on.” Stephanie pointed out.

     “I know that, but I already knew Sophie, I don’t know Heather’s parents, and I’m worried about Jane’s father seeing me.”

     “I think you’re just worrying about nothing.” Stephanie said as she placed a hand on Chloe’s shoulder. Stephanie wanted to hug Chloe, but due to Stephanie now being dressed to go and see Heather’s parent’s, and Chloe still being dressed in her riding gear, Stephanie didn’t want to spend the afternoon smelling of horses. “Say goodbye to Shadow, and we can get you home so you can get showered and changed.” Stephanie smiled

    Chloe said her goodbyes to Shadow with a hand full of mints, which Shadow ate up and then ran off to let Chloe know it was alright for her to leave. Chloe then followed Stephanie and Stacy to Stephanie’s car and then made her way home to get changed.

*****

    Chloe could hear her mother reading Stephanie the riot act as she came down the stairs after getting home and taking a shower before getting dressed in a simple looking pale blue summer dress.

     “I promise to keep your daughter safe Valarie.” Stephanie said as Chloe entered the kitchen.

     “I’m still not sure this is a good idea.” Valarie said as she looked at Chloe.

     “I have to help Heather’s parents find some peace Mummy.” Chloe said with a pained look. “You more than anyone knows what it’s like to be left with questions.” Chloe added as she walked over and let Valarie wrap her arms around her.

     “I do sweetie, but I worry about you.” Valarie admitted as she squeezed Chloe even tighter to her.

     “I know you do mummy, but I have Spirit watching my back, not to mention Stephi and Stacy.” Chloe grinned as she looked up at her mother.

     “I’m glad about that, but I’m still going to worry about you.” Valarie smiled as she leaned down and kissed Chloe on the forehead. “I better let you go before I lock you in your room and stop you doing this foolish thing.” Valarie added with a sigh as she broke the hug and walked Chloe and the others to the door.

    Stephanie helped Chloe and Stacy to get in her car before she got behind the wheel and pulled away from Chloe’s house. The three of them waved to Valarie as they drove out of the drive.

    Ashley was out with her new boyfriend. She’d gotten a call just after Chloe had gone on her horse ride, according to what Valarie had said when Chloe returned to get changed and found her mother in the study working on her new book.

     “Who’s this new man in your aunt’s life?” Stephanie asked with a grin.

     “I’ve got no idea.” Chloe shrugged. “Mum said it was someone she met yesterday.” Chloe added.

     “Didn’t you grill her for details?” Stephanie asked looking shocked to find out Chloe was still in the dark about her aunt’s boyfriend.

     “I did grill her, but she said she didn’t want to jinx it by saying too much too soon.” Chloe explained. “Mum said that Aunty Ash has gotten excited in the past, just to find out the guy wasn’t all he said he was.” Chloe added with a frown.

     “Well I want to hear all the details as you find them out.” Stephanie warned Chloe.

     “Yes sir...!” Chloe said as she snapped Stephanie a salute.

     “How dare you insult me...!” Stephanie pouted. “It’s yes ma’am...!” She shouted with a giggle.

     “Sorry. Yes ma’am...!” Chloe said as she snapped Stephanie another salute just before she started giggling.

    Chloe told Stephanie and Stacy what little information she’d been able to find out about her aunt’s new boyfriend, which wasn’t very much.

    Spirit had given Chloe, Heather’s parents address, and Stephanie had programmed them into her sat nav system. Stephanie was soon pulling into a street and the voice of her sat nav was telling them they had reached their destination. Not that they needed to be told this, all the news vans kind of gave it away.

     “Wow, look at all those people.” Stacy said as she looked at the men with cameras and others with mikes.

     “I’m not sure this is such a good idea.” Chloe said now she could see all the people milling around waiting for a chance to get a story.

     “We can forget it and try again another day?” Stephanie offered as she stopped just up the road.

    Chloe looked to be considering that idea for a couple of minutes, but she finally let out a sigh and spoke. “No, we’ve come this far, and Heather and her parent’s need some closure so Heather can move on.”

     “Okay, but put these on.” Stephanie said as she handed Chloe a berry and a pair of sunglasses. “That should help to stop anyone working out who you really are.” Stephanie added with a grin.

    Stephanie waited for Chloe to put the hat and the sunglasses on before she pulled away from the curb and drove up to Heather’s parent’s house. Stephanie pulled up to the large gates and then lowered her window to push a button on an intercom system they had. Stephanie waited a couple of seconds before a male voice asked who she was.

     “Porter residence, how may I help you?” A posh sounding male voice asked.

     “My name is Stephanie Williams, my sister Stacy went to school with Heather, and she wanted to come and pay her respects.” Stephanie explained.

    There was just silence on the other end of the intercom for a couple of seconds before the male voice spoke again. “The gates will open shortly, please drive through them, but be careful not to run the guards over that will be waiting on the other side.”

    There was a click and the gates started to open, so Stephanie put the car in gear and started to move forward. Stephanie wasn’t sure why the man was sending guards down to meet them, but she soon realised why when the reporters swarmed forward trying to enter the grounds. Stephanie put her foot down and just missed a man on the other side of the gates who was running down to stop the reporters getting in.

     “That was intense.” Stephanie said with a nervous laugh as she drove her car up the long driveway to the main house. Stephanie looked in her rear view mirror just in time to see the man she’d nearly hit, throw one of the reporters back through the closing gateway.

    Stephanie parked her car next to a line of other cars outside the large house and then the three of them got out the car. The three of them looked worried when three large men in suits ran over to where they had parked.

     “I’m sorry Miss, but we just need to run some checks before we can let you into the house.” One of the men said to Stephanie. Another man pulled out his cell phone and took a picture of Stacy and Chloe, once Chloe had removed her hat and sunglasses.

     “What are you doing?” Stephanie asked with an angry frown.

     “We just need to check with the school, that you are who you say you are.” The man said in a matter of fact way.

     “We’re not lying to you...!” Stephanie growled.

     “I’m not saying you are, but you wouldn’t be the first person to come here with a couple of girls, pretending to be Miss Porter’s friends from school.” The man explained.

     “Someone actually did that...?” Stephanie asked, looking shocked now.

     “We’ve had three of them try it now.” Another man informed them. “Not that I think you’re one of them.” The man added. “You would make it four.” He said.

     “What...?” Stephanie snapped.

     “Jones...!” The man in charge snapped at the other man.

    Stephanie was just about to speak when the man who’d taken the photos phone rang, so Stephanie waited to see what he had to say when he finished on the phone.

     “They’re telling the truth sir.” The man said when he ended the call.

     “I’m sorry about all this, but if you’d care to follow me, I will take you to see Mr and Mrs Porter.” The man in charge said as he indicated for the three girls to walk towards the house.

    Stephanie, Stacy and Chloe all followed the man, with the other two men following just behind. Stephanie smiled when she looked over her shoulder and saw both men checking her out. Stephanie was wearing a tight pair of black jeans that let the two men see her well rounded ass sway from side to side. Stephanie always got a kick out of men checking her out.

    The three men handed the girls over to another well dressed man once they reached the house. Stephanie recognised the man’s voice as the one she’d spoken to on the intercom.

     “Good afternoon Miss Williams, I’m sorry about the trouble at the main gate.” The man said with a polite smile as he led the three of them into the house.

     “Please don’t worry about it, but I do need to apologise to one of the guards, because I almost hit him when I drove through the gate.” Stephanie said with a nervous laugh.

     “Time to worry is when you do hit one of them.” The man smiled. “To miss by an inch, is to miss by a mile.” He added.

    Stephanie and the other two wasn’t sure if the man was joking or not, but they all smiled and let him lead them deeper into the house.

    The man led them to a sitting room and told them all to take a seat while he went to let the Porter’s know they were here.

     “I never realised Heather came from this kind of money.” Stacy said as she looked around the room at the paintings on the walls and all the fine china scattered around the room.

     “My parents raised me to respect everything I had, so I never let the money go to my head.” Heather said as she appeared on the seat next to Stacy.

    Stacy just kept looking around, not being able to see Heather, but Stacy did look at Stephanie with an odd look when she let out a small squeal because she could see and hear Heather.

     “Can you see me as well?” Heather asked a shocked looking Stephanie. Even though Stephanie knew they were here to help Heather move on, it still came as a shock to see her suddenly appear.

     “Yes I can.” Stephanie said as she relaxed again.

     “Is Heather here now?” Stacy asked as she looked at the spot next to her, where Stephanie was now looking. “It’s so not fair being the normal one in the group.” Stacy pouted.

     “Being able to see ghosts isn’t something you want to have happen to you baby sister.” Stephanie frowned.

     “I think I can help you out.” Spirit said as she appeared stood just in front of Stacy. “Well for a short time anyway.” Spirit added as she stroked her hand along Stacy’s cheek.

    Stacy felt a small electric shock run through her, and then she saw Heather slowly start to appear next to her.

     “Heather...?” Stacy said as she threw her arms around the girl, but ended up passing right through her and slamming her head into the sofa she was sat on.

     “I said I could help you see her, but only Chloe can touch her still.” Spirit giggled as she watched a frustrated Stacy sitting up on the sofa again. “Apart from me that is.” Spirit added.

     “Hi Stacy.” Heather grinned as she appeared stood next to spirit after she’d vanished when Stacy fell through her. “And you must be Stephanie?” Heather asked as she looked at the woman sat next to Stacy.

     “Hello Heather.” Stephanie said as she gave Heather a little wave. “I’m sorry about what happened to you.” Stephanie added, not knowing what else to say off the top of her head.

     “Hello.” Heather smiled back. “So it’s true then? You’re just like Chloe, and you too can see ghosts.” Heather said excitedly as she reached out to touch Stephanie, but her hand passed right through, which left Heather with a puzzled look.

     “Stephi can see ghosts, but unlike Chloe, she can’t touch them.” Spirit explained.

     “That’s a shame; I was looking forward to giving you a hug.” Heather pouted. “I’ll have to settle with giving you an extra long one then.” Heather giggled as she leapt at Chloe, knocking her back in the seat she was sat on.”Hi Chloe...!” Heather giggled some more.

     “Hi Heather...” Chloe groaned from under Heather. Chloe was just about to say more, but stopped when they heard the door open. Chloe was able to sit up due to Heather vanishing again, and Chloe got to see who she took to be Heather’s parents enter the room.

    Stephanie, Stacy and Chloe all got to their feet and only sat back down when Heather’s father waved for them to do so.

     “I’d like to thank the three of you for coming to see us, and also for paying your respects to our daughter.” Heather’s father said as he helped his wife to take a seat just before he sat down next to her.

     “Did you know Heather well?” Heather’s mother asked with pain in her voice. “Heather never spoke much about her time at school.” She added with a faraway look in her eyes. “I always thought I’d have more time to speak with her about school, but I never did.” Heather’s mother broke down in sobs again as she said it.

     “Yes, I knew Heather, and I liked her a lot.” Stacy smiled sadly once Heather’s mother had stopped sobbing again.

     “What would you say to Heather if you had the chance to speak to her one last time?” Chloe asked nervously, not sure if she was moving too fast, but the waiting was making her even more nervous about doing this.

     “I’d tell her that we still love her, and that we both miss her so much, and wish we’d never sent her to that damn school.” Heather’s mother said with some anger in her voice when she spoke about the school.

     “I loved going to school there...!” Heather said as she appeared. “Tell them that I’m here Chloe.” Heather added as she looked at Chloe.

     “What if I told you that Heather was with us now, and she said she liked going to school there, and she doesn’t blame anyone accept Jane Bridgeport for what happened.” Chloe said.

    Heather’s parent’s just looked at Chloe for a couple of seconds in shock, before they both looked angry. “What sort of a sick game are you playing?” Heather’s father asked as he rose to his feet. “I think you should all leave.” He added as he made his way over to the door and opened it.

     “I’m not playing a game with you sir.” Chloe said as she walked over to where he was stood and took hold of his hand, while reaching out with the other for Heather to take hold of. “Take hold of my hand and your father will be able to see and speak with you Heather.” Chloe said.

    Heather took a slow walk over to where Chloe was stood holding her father’s hand, and she reached out and took hold of it as she looked up at her angry looking father.

    Heather’s father frowned to begin with, but his look soon turned to one of shock when he saw something start to appear next to the girl that said she could see his dead daughter. His mouth fell open when he found himself looking at an image of his dead daughter, and she was smiling back at him with tears in her eyes.

     “Hello daddy.” Heather snuffled.

     “Heather...? Is it really you?” Her father asked as he reached out to touch his daughter, but his hand just went right through her like she was made of mist.

     “Yes it’s really me daddy, I wish I could hug you, but Chloe is the only one I can touch.” Heather said with a proud smile in Chloe’s direction. “She helped me to make Jane tell the truth about what happened to me at the school.” Heather added. Heather left out the part about Spirit being an angel, or even part of the group.

     “Can you really see our daughter?” Heather’s mother asked as she got up and went to join her husband over near the door.

     “Yes, she’s stood right here. Can’t you see her?” Heather’s father asked as he looked at his wife, and then back at the spot where Heather was stood holding Chloe’s hand.

     “I will need to hold your wife’s hand for her to see Heather.” Chloe said as she tried to let go of Heather’s father’s hand, but he seemed reluctant to release it and risk losing the image of his daughter. “Once I’ve made a connection, you will still be able to see Heather, just as long as I’m holding Heather’s hand.” Chloe explained.

    Heather’s father finally let go, and let out a sigh when he could still see his daughter holding Chloe’s hand. He led his wife over and she tentatively reached out and let Chloe take hold of her hand. She let out a gasp as she saw her daughter appear, and she too tried to reach out and touch the image of her dead daughter.

     “Oh sweetie, I miss you so much.” Heather’s mother said through fresh tears.

     “Hello mummy.” Heather was crying herself now.

     “I think we better sit down again.” Heather’s father said as he closed the door again and led his wife over to the sofa they had been seated on.

    Chloe kept hold of Heather’s hand and took her seat again. Heather sat down next to her and then sat looking at her parents as they let the shock of being able to see their daughter again, finally sink in.

     “Part of me thinks this is all just a weird dream, but another part hopes it real.” Heather’s father finally admitted as he shook his head.

     “I don’t care if it is a dream; I never want to wake up again if it is.” Heather’s mother said.

     “You’re not dreaming mummy.” Heather giggled. “I just needed to see you both one last time before I passed over to the other side.” Heather explained.

     “Do you have to go sweetie?” Her mother asked. “I don’t mind you haunting us for as long as you want.”

     “Yes I need to go mummy.” Heather giggled some more. “I just wanted the two of you to know that I never killed myself. I had no reason too, and I loved my life far too much to ever want it to end.”

     “I wish it was that evil Jane Bridgeport that had died instead of you.” Heather’s mother growled.

     “Join the club...” Stacy mumbled under her breath, which earned her a poke in the side with Stephanie’s elbow.

     “Is that for me...?” Heather asked as she looked across the room to where a bright light had appeared.

     “If it’s a bright light, then yes it’s for you Heather.” Chloe guessed.

     “It’s time for me to pass over now, mummy, daddy.” Heather said with fresh tears of her own.

     “How can you expect us to cope with losing you all over again?” Heather’s mother whined as she tried to take hold of her daughter’s hand.

     “I have another friend that will help you move on.” Heather said as she nodded over to Spirit, who had been visible to everyone except Heather’s parents.

    Spirit stepped forward and placed a hand on Heather’s parent’s shoulders and they both slumped down onto the sofa again, they both looked to be fast asleep.

     “Will they be alright?” Heather asked looking worried for her parent’s.

     “They will be fine, and won’t remember a thing about this, but they will feel at peace now.” Spirit promised.

     “Thank you for everything Spirit, Chloe.” Heather said as she gave each of them a hug. “I wish I’d gotten to know the two of you while I was still alive.” Heather added with a grin.

     “I would have liked that.” Chloe grinned back at her.

     “I think you will make an amazing woman one day, just hang in there, and keep helping lost souls like me until you do.” Heather said as she hugged Chloe again.

    Chloe, Spirit, Stacy and Stephanie all stood and watched Heather walk across the room and then vanish like she had stepped through a doorway none of them could see.

     “She’s passed over now.” Spirit informed them.

     “What do we do with these two?” Stephanie asked as she looked at Heather’s parents still asleep on the sofa.

     “I’ll wake them up again, but not before I play with their memories of what just happened.” Spirit said as she walked over to the sofa and placed her hands on each of Heather’s parent’s heads and then closed her eyes to focus on giving them some different memories.

    Chloe, Stacy and Stephanie all took their seats again while they waited for Spirit to work her magic. Spirit was soon done, and she looked at Chloe and smiled. “That should do it, now just act like nothing happened.” Spirit explained just before she vanished.

    Heather’s father was the first to wake, and he looked confused to begin with, but he soon recovered and acted like he’d been awake the whole time. He looked at his wife and showed concern for her, as she was still asleep.

     “Are you alright sweetheart?” He asked when he saw her starting to wake.

     “Yes dear, I think all the stress finally got to me.” Heather’s mother said as she sat up. “I’m so sorry I fell asleep on you.” She added as she looked at Chloe, Stephanie and Stacy sat on the sofa facing them. “I want to thank the three of you for coming here to see us. It means so much to know that Heather had such wonderful friends.”

    Stephanie was a little shocked to see the sudden change in Heather’s parent’s, and she wondered just what Spirit had done to them, but she was glad to see Heather’s mother looking and acting like she was coping with Heather’s death a little better than she was when they first arrived.

     “I think it’s time for us to go.” Stephanie said, not seeing any reason for them stopping any longer, not now Chloe had helped Heather to move on.

     “Do you have to leave so soon?” Heather’s mother asked, happy to have some of her daughters friends come visit them.

     “I do have a fair way to drive back, and I’d like to do it while it’s still light.” Stephanie lied.

     “We can understand that, and please have a safe trip home.” Heather’s father said as he rose to his feet and then helped his wife to stand.

    The two of them walked Stephanie, Stacy and Chloe to the door, and then they stood and waved to them once they were in Stephanie’s car and making their way back down the driveway.

     “You better put the hat and sunglasses back on Chloe.” Stephanie warned as they approached the gateway where a couple of guards were stood waiting to stop any of the reporters getting in when the gates opened.

    Chloe put on the sunglasses and then she placed the berry on her head. “How do I look?” She asked Stacy as she struck a pose.

    Stacy giggled before she answered. “You look like a movie star that’s trying to hide from the press.”

    Stephanie wound down her window as they got to the gateway and waited for one of the guards to open the gate to let her drive out. “I’m sorry I almost hit you with my car earlier.” Stephanie said to the man she’s nearly hit when she entered the grounds.

     “Don’t worry about it Miss.” The man smiled. “Feel free to run a couple of them vultures down when you leave, and we’ll call it even.” The man added with a grin.

     “I’ll do my best.” Stephanie grinned back.

    The man placed a key in a panel on the wall and turned it. There was a clunk and the gates started to open, so Stephanie got ready and then drove out of the gates as soon as she had enough room to get her car through. Good to her word, Stephanie just missed hitting a man holding a large camera as she left the grounds and drove out onto the road. Chloe and Stacy laughed as the man Stephanie nearly hit, dropped his camera as he jumped out the way.

     “I hope they don’t send you the bill for that camera sis.” Stacy said with some worry in her voice once they were away from the reporters and heading home. “Dad won’t be happy if he has to replace that thing, it looked expensive.” Stacy added.

     “I’m sure dad would fight it in court, if they want to go that route, but I doubt they will bother.” Stephanie said, not sounding too worried about any of it. “You know what dad thinks of reporters.” Stephanie added with a grin, as she thought about their father, and what he had said to some reporters in the past when they came looking for Stephanie’s story after she was beaten up.

     “Why does your father hate reporters?” Chloe asked.

     “We had some reporters sniffing around after I was attacked, and they thought I was trying to sell my body to get money for a sex change.” Stephanie explained with anger in her voice.

     “Dad snatched one of the cameras from a man and then smashed it to bits.” Stacy said with a little too much pride in her voice.

     “Your dad did that...?” Chloe sounded shocked. “I didn’t think your father ever got angry.” Chloe admitted.

     “Daddy can be very protective of his little girls.” Stephanie grinned.

     “It must be nice having a father like that.” Chloe said with a sigh. Chloe knew that James’ stepfather would have gotten the best price for the story, and then thrown him to the wolves.

     “Your mother would do the same to keep you safe.” Stephanie said as she looked at Chloe sat in the back of her car when she stopped at a set of lights. “Speaking of your mother, you better give her a call and let her know everything went alright.” Stephanie added just before she had to start moving again.

    Chloe pulled her cell phone out her little purse style backpack and scrolled down to her mother’s number before hitting the call button.

     “Hi sweetie, is everything alright...?” Valarie’s voice said on the other end of the phone as soon as she answered it.

     “Hi mummy, everything is fine, and we’re on our way home again.” Chloe said with a smile in her voice, glad to have a mother that worried about her.

     “Were you able to help Heather move on?” Valarie asked with some pain in her voice.

     “Yes, and Heather’s parent’s seemed much better for it when we left.” Chloe explained.

     “Did you have any trouble getting in and out?”

     “No, not really, but Stephi did try to run a reporter over when we left, and he dropped his camera.” Chloe giggled at the memory.

     “Reporters...?” Valarie asked with more worry in her voice. “Did any of them get a good look at you?”

     “No mummy and they have no idea who I am, so don’t worry about it.” Chloe whined.

     “I’m your mother, it’s my job to worry about you young lady.” Valarie said in a firm tone. “Asking me not to worry about you is like asking me not to breathe.” Valarie added in a much more caring tone.

     “Sorry mummy.” Chloe said with a smile on her face. “Stephanie gave me a berry and some sunglasses to wear when we drove in and out of Heather’s parents.” Chloe explained.

     “I’m glad about that sweetie.” Valarie said with relief in her voice. “I’ll let you tell me all about it over a mug of hot chocolate when you get home.” Valarie promised.

     “Okay mummy, I’ll see you shortly. Bye...!” Chloe smiled.

     “See you soon sweetie. Bye...!” Valarie replied just before she ended the call.

*****

    Chloe was starting to nod off in the back of Stephanie’s car when Stephanie pulled up outside Chloe’s house. Chloe gave Stacy and Stephanie a hug before she got out the car.

     “Thanks you for helping me today Stephi.” Chloe smiled. “I’ll see you next weekend.”

     “You’re welcome baby sister, and I want to hear all about this new man in your aunt’s life as well.” Stephanie grinned.

     “I’ll do what I can.” Chloe said with a roll of her eyes. “I’ll see you in the morning Stace.” Chloe smiled at Stacy.

     “Sure will girlfriend...!” Stacy grinned back.

    Stephanie didn’t pull away until she saw Valarie open the front door and wave to her and Stacy. Both girls waved back just before they drove down the driveway and Valarie led Chloe into the house.

     “I’m glad to have you home again.” Valarie said as she knelt down and wrapped her arms around Chloe.

     “I’m glad to be home again.” Chloe said as she enjoyed the hug. “Can I still have that drinking chocolate?” Chloe asked with a grin when Valarie stopped hugging her.

     “Anything for my little angel.” Valarie grinned back as she got to her feet again and led Chloe into the kitchen and helped her take a seat at the kitchen table.

    Chloe started to tell Valarie about her day while Valarie made them both a drinking chocolate. Ashley was still out with her new boyfriend. Chloe tried to find out some more details, but Valarie thought Chloe was trying to change the subject, so Chloe carried on telling her about helping Heather move on, and helping Heather’s parents to find some peace from it all.

    Valarie smiled when she saw Spirit appear in the kitchen. “Do you want to join us for a hot chocolate?” Valarie asked. She knew that Spirit use to love a hot chocolate when she was alive.

     “Yes please mother.” Spirit smiled as she took a seat at the kitchen table next to Chloe.

     “Do you know how Heather is doing on the other side?” Chloe asked.

     “Sammi says she’s doing fine.” Spirit smiled. “I kind of miss her not being around.” Spirit added with a pout.

     “I’m sure she’s in a much better place now.” Valarie said as she gave each girl a mug of hot chocolate each.

     “She is, but it was nice to have a friend to hang around with when Chloe was busy, but now I’m all on my own again.” Spirit sighed.

     “I’m sorry to hear that sweetie.” Valarie said as she wrapped her arms around Spirit from behind, and she gave her a hug and a kiss on the forehead.

    Chloe and Spirit finished their drinks and then Chloe made her way up to bed, while Spirit went to check in with Sammi.

*****

 

To Be Continued Next Tuesday  GRIN

 

Story by SaraUK

 

Edited and Posted by SamanthaK

    EDITORS NOTE: Please Comment and/or leave Kudos and let Sara know you like her work please, Any comments on spelling, grammar or the layout of the story please PM me “Samanthak” not Sara. Thank you

up
173 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Good-bye Heather

This is such a sweet episode. I am so glad Chloe was able to help Heather and her parents have one last little chat before she was finally able to cross over.

Please keep writing about Chloe and Spirit as long as your muse will allow it.

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm

Yes goodbye Heather

Our lives always move ever onwards and death is inevitable though I resent it being so short.

I am pretty sure I can live to around 90 or more but still, I should be glad I am not like Heather who is cutoff so soon ...

Kim

With Heather

now on the other side, what is next for the group?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Ghost Of A Chance

Lets see, we still have a few loose ends hanging around. Of course only the author knows when the story is done, but we still have Mary and the missing two children to help.

Danny is still a day or two away from waking up from his coma.

Then is the issue with the mystery guy in Aunty Ash's life. I personally think it Susan's father, which may have complications in itself.

And last but not least there is the outcome of Jane's confession, and what lengths father will go to prevent his downfall.