A Ghost Of A Chance. Book 2. Chapter 10

Printer-friendly version


 © February 2013


Part Ten of 13+


Chapter Ten: Watch your back

    Chloe was dressed and ready to leave for school when she entered the kitchen to have her breakfast on the Thursday morning.

     “Good morning sweetie.” Valarie said as she walked over to Chloe and pulled her into a hug. “I guess you were really tired last night?”

     “Yes I was, sorry I never brushed my teeth.” Chloe said as she smiled up at her mother. “Did you get me ready for bed?” She asked.

     “Yes I did, but you never really woke up.” Valarie giggled. “Now come and take a seat so you can have your breakfast.” Valarie added as she led Chloe over to the table and helped her sit down.

    Chloe was soon eating a large plate of French toast that Ashley had placed on the table in front of her. Chloe really liked French toast, and she was soon looking at an empty plate.

     “Thank you Aunty Ash, they were wonderful.” Chloe grinned as she sat back in her chair feeling full.

     “I’m glad you liked them sweetie.” Ashley smiled.

     “I’ll be picking you up from school this evening, we need to go and see Robert, so he can give you a check up.” Valarie said as she sat sipping her cup of tea.

     “Will I still be able to go riding after?” Chloe asked.

     “I was hoping we could do something as mother and daughter after.” Valarie said sounding hopeful. “I’ve not seen much of you since you got your horse and met Stacy.” She added with a pout that made her look like a teenager.

     “That sounds like fun.” Chloe giggled. She actually was looking forward to spending some time with her mother.

     “That’s wonderful...!” Valarie squealed as she threw her arms around Chloe and hugged her while repeatedly kissing her on the cheeks.

     “Mum...” Chloe moaned as she tried to stop her, but she was giggling. So Valarie just carried on as she laughed herself.

    Chloe finished getting ready for school and then she grabbed a couple of apples to take with her, so she could go and see Shadow quickly when they picked Stacy up.

     “Didn’t you get enough for breakfast?” Ashley asked when she saw Chloe placing the apples in her book bag.

     “Yes, these are for Shadow, because I won’t get to see him after school.” Chloe explained.

     “You spoil that horse.” Ashley said in a mock version of a scolding, but she was soon giggling as she admitted that she’d be doing the same thing in Chloe’s shoes.

    Chloe got a hug and a kiss on the forehead from Valarie, as she promised to pick her up from school later in the day.

    Ashley was soon driving a smiling Chloe over to Stacy’s, so she could give Shadow his apples and then Ashley could get the two girls to school.

*****

    Stacy was stood at the front door to her home when Ashley pulled into the courtyard. Stacy looked a little puzzled when she saw Chloe get out the car though.

     “I need to go and see Shadow, so I can give him an apple.” Chloe explained as she ran past Stacy towards the gate that led to the stables.

     “Why are you so eager to give Shadow an apple?” Stacy asked as she ran beside her.

     “I have a doctor’s appointment this evening, so I won’t be able to go riding, so I want to say hello to Shadow and let him know that I still love him.” Chloe explained.

     “Oh I see...” Stacy said looking sad that she wouldn’t be able to spend time with Chloe after school.

     “It’s only for the one evening.” Chloe smiled, trying to make Stacy feel a little better. “I’ll call you this evening when I get home.” Chloe promised. She liked the fact she now had a friend like Stacy, and even knowing her secret hadn’t affected their friendship, if anything it had made it stronger.

     “Promise...?” Stacy pouted.

     “Promise...” Chloe grinned as she held up her little finger. “Pinkie swears?” Chloe added with a giggle. Chloe had seen girls in James’ old school do this when they made a promise, and she loved the fact that she could do it now.

     “Pinkie Promise...” Stacy giggled as she hooked her little finger around Chloe’s.

    Shadow poked his head out the stable door when he heard Chloe and Stacy giggling, it sounded like he was getting excited because Chloe was there, and the noise only got louder when he saw Chloe making her way over to him pulling out an apple as she did so.

     “Hello boy.” Chloe said as she stroked the bridge of his nose. “I’m sorry, but I won’t be able to come and see you after school today, so I’ve brought you an apple to make up for it.” Chloe explained to Shadow as she held out her hand so he could take the apple.

    Chloe handed Stacy the second apple she had, so she could feed it to her own horse, Buttercup, because she’d come to her stable door to see what was going on.

     “Buttercup says thank you for the apple.” Spirit said as she appeared next to Stacy and Buttercup.

     “Is Shadow upset with me over this evening and me not being able to come and ride him?” Chloe asked as she stroked Shadow’s neck.

     “He’s a little sad that he won’t get to run with you on his back, but he’s happy that you came to see him, and you brought him an apple.” Spirit giggled as she translated Shadow’s thoughts for her.

     “I love you Shadow, and I’ll always have apples for you to munch on.” Chloe smiled as she wrapped her arms around Shadow’s neck and tried to hug him the best she could. Shadow made a sound as he turned his head to let Chloe know he loved her just as much.

     “Come on you two, or you’re going to be late.” Ashley said as she wandered into the courtyard to see what was keeping the two of them.

     “I’ll see you tomorrow Shadow, and I’ll bring you another apple.” Chloe said just before she picked up her book bag and followed Ashley back to her car.

    Stacy grabbed her book bag and laptop case from her mother before she jumped in the back of Ashley’s car next to Chloe. Ashley was soon on the road again and heading towards the school.

     “Will mum know where to pick us up later Aunty Ash?” Chloe asked sounding worried as Ashley pulled up in the same spot she’d dropped the two girls off the last couple of mornings.

     “I’m sure she does, but I’ll explain it to her when I get back.” Ashley said, as she tried to help Chloe calm down and stop worrying. “Now get out my car, and have a good day at school.” Ashley giggled.

     “See you later Aunty Ash.” Chloe grinned as she leaned between the seats and gave Ashley a hug and a kiss on the cheek before she jumped out the car and closed the door again.

    Chloe and Stacy waved to Ashley as she drove away, then they both picked up their bags and made their way over towards the main entrance.

     “Paul and I take off for one day, and we miss the biggest event of the year so far.” Finlay said from just behind Chloe.

     “We are still in the first week of term, so its early days yet.” Chloe smirked as she turned around to look at Fin and Paul stood next to him.

     “True, and we’re looking forward to what you do next.” Fin smirked back.

     “How did you find out about the trouble with Jane yesterday, if the two of you were away all day?” Chloe asked. “I was sorry to hear about your friend, is there any change in his condition?”

     “No, he’s still not responding to anything, and the doctors have run out of ideas now.” Finlay said looking sad. “Paul and I still talk to him though; we’re hoping that some of it is sinking in.” Finlay added with a chuckle. “As for how we found out about you and Jane, well the whole internet must know by now.” He pulled out his phone and tapped the screen a couple of times before he turned it around so Chloe and Stacy could see the video that someone had filmed the day before.

    The video was of Jane dressed in the work clothes picking up litter. They had also filmed Susan taking down Tracy and then Miss Scott the headmistress turning up.

     “I loved the way Susan Smith took Tracy down.” Paul grinned. “That girl has some serious moves.” He added.

     “We better get to our homeroom Chloe.” Stacy said as she gave Paul an angry look. Stacy was feeling jealous over Paul giving Susan praise.

     “She’s not my type though...!” Paul shouted after the two girls as he and Finlay tried to keep up with Chloe and Stacy. “I like girls that run away from danger, while letting us big brave men fight their battles for them.” Paul added, heavily hinting towards the fact he liked Stacy more than he liked Susan.

     “So you don’t fancy Susan then?” Stacy asked as she came to a sudden stop looking a little happier than she just had.

    Stacy had stopped so sudden, she almost pulled Chloe’s arm out its socket due to them holding hands as Chloe pulled her along for the ride.

     “No I don’t fancy Susan.” Paul frowned. “Where did you get that idea from?” He asked looking confused.

     “You said she had some nice moves.” Stacy mumbled, looking a little embarrassed now.

     “I also think Jackie Chan has some nice moves, but I don’t fancy him either.” Pauls aid sarcastically.

    Stacy giggled as she couldn’t think of anything to say to Paul’s comment. She was laughing even more after Finlay’s comment though.

     “How can you not find Jackie Chan sexy...?” Finlay asked looking deadly serious. “Don’t tell me you’re going straight now?” Finlay added in a camp voice as he threw his arms around Paul and tried to kiss him on the cheek.

     “Get off me you nut job.” Paul grumbled as he pushed Finlay’s face away with one hand, while he tried to push the rest of Finlay away with the other.

     “You know I love it when you play hard to get baby.” Finlay said in the same camp sounding voice.

    Chloe and Stacy fell back against some lockers as they were laughing so hard they were in danger of falling over. Both girls had tears streaming down their cheeks as they watched Paul trying to fight off Finlay. Paul and Finlay stopped playing around when a teacher walked past and told them to break it up.

     “Well, well, well, if it isn’t the lying bitch herself.” Chloe heard a girl say from just behind her, once she’d stopped laughing and was stood facing Finlay and Paul. Chloe turned around to find Tracy stood there, but she was on her own and didn’t look like much of a threat.

     “That’s funny coming from a two faced bitch like you.” Stacy snapped, sticking up for her friend, and taking pleasure in not being the one on her own for once.

     “I wasn’t talking to you, so butt out.” Tracy said in a dry tone as she looked Stacy in the eyes, hoping to make her scared enough to look away, but Stacy just kept looking at Tracy until Tracy looked nervous.

     “You weren’t talking to anyone, well no one that wants to listen to you anyway.” Stacy smirked. “Why don’t you run off and find you little group of cool friends?” Stacy asked. “Oh wait, you can’t can you, you stabbed them in the back as well.” Stacy added like she’d only just remembered.

     “I don’t know what you did yesterday you little lying bitch, but I plan to find out and prove that you lied.” Tracy warned.

     “You were the one that gave me the bad directions, and then admitted to doing so in front of me, Miss Scott and Jane.” Chloe pointed out with a confused look.

    Tracy just looked like she was going to explode as she went all red in the face, but couldn’t think of what to say. “I’m going to get you back for this bitch...!” Tracy ended up snapping. “When you least expect it, I will be there to make you look like a fool, so you better watch your back.” She warned.

     “If that’s the case, then why did you just warn me that that is what you plan to do?” Chloe asked looking puzzled. “Because now I’ll be looking out for things.” Chloe pointed out the error in Tracy’s plan.

    Tracy went to say something, but stopped when she realised that maybe it wasn’t the smartest idea to warn the person she was planning to get revenge on. Before she had time to speak though, she was suddenly surrounded by Susan, Sophie and Jane, who had walked down the hallway behind Tracy. Tracy was now stood in the middle of a group.

     “Do you want me to get rid of her for you Chloe?” Susan asked, making Tracy jump and spin around, so her back was to the lockers now.

     “You keep away from me, or I will get you expelled this time.” Tracy sounded nervous and unsure of whether she could get Susan expelled.

     “I think you’ll find that it’s you that needs to stay away from Chloe and Stacy.” Susan said in a warning tone. “It might be worth getting expelled, just to beat you up.” Susan added as she stepped forward, making Tracy try to step back, but she was already up against the lockers.

    They made a space and Tracy got the message and ran off down the hallway, only slowing when a teacher shouted at her to stop running in the hallways.

     “How did you ever become friends with that girl?” Chloe asked, once Tracy was out of sight.

     “I ask myself that same question all the time.” Stacy admitted.

     “Maybe it’s just because you’re a bad judge of character.” Chloe shrugged.

     “That can’t be it.” Finlay said in Stacy’s defence. “She’s got you as a friend now.” He added with pride.

     “Fin’s right BFF.” Stacy pouted as she threw her arms around Chloe and rested her head on Chloe’s shoulder as she hugged her.

     “What did she want anyway?” Sophie asked.

     “She was warning me to watch my back because she plans to get revenge on me for breaking up her friendship with Jane.” Chloe explained.

     “Wasn’t it a little stupid to actually warn you about it though?” Sophie asked looking puzzled.

     “I did point this out to her, but you three turned up before I got an answer.” Chloe grinned. “She’s not the sharpest knife in the draw though, so I’m not worried about her.” Chloe added.

     “I still can’t understand why she admitted to giving you bad directions in the first place though.” Sophie said, sounding frustrated with not knowing the answer.

     “Maybe for the same reason she’s just admitted to getting revenge.” Paul said. “She’s an idiot.” He added when the others all looked at him waiting for an answer.

     “You can’t argue with that.” Finlay agreed.

     “And idiots do stupid things that normal people don’t understand.” Paul explained.

     “I can’t see Jane trusting her, no matter what she tries to do.” Sophie pointed out.

     “That won’t stop her from trying though.” Finlay argued.

     “Maybe you could have a word with Jane, and see if she can make Tracy back off.” Sophie said as she looked at Finlay.

     “I don’t want Fin asking for favours from Jane for anything, never mind for me.” Chloe said with a note of finality to her voice.

     “I doubt it would work anyway, well not without me going on a date with her, or something just as horrifying.” Finlay shuddered at the thought of being with Jane on a date.

     “I don’t want you to do that.” Chloe said before she could stop herself. She had no idea where that had suddenly come from either, but for some reason she didn’t want Finlay going on a date with Jane.

     “Do you not want me to go on a date with Jane because you’re jealous?” Finlay asked with a smug smile.

     “No, it’s not that, I just don’t want you to go out with her to help me.” Chloe snapped back, but didn’t believe her own words, so she doubted that Finlay or the others would either.

     “Oh I see.” Finlay smiled, but Chloe could see that his idea of understanding her, and what she believed he now understood, were two very different things. “I would go out with her if you wanted me to, and it would help you get Tracy off your back.” He offered.

     “I can deal with Tracy just fine on my own, so I don’t need you going on some fake date with Jane to help me out.” Chloe said, trying to make it sound like it was any other reason, other than the fact she was jealous of Jane going on a date with Finlay. “You can be quite big headed about yourself when you want to be.” Chloe added just before she looked at her watch and saw it was time to get to their homeroom. “We better get going, or we’ll be late.” Chloe said.

     “We’ll see you at lunch time then.” Finlay smiled.

    Chloe never answered Finlay, she never even bothered to look back at him, but she did say excuse me to a boy she walked into. Chloe couldn’t work out why the boy gave her such a confused look when Chloe bumped his side as she walked past.

     “Who were you saying excuse me to Chloe?” Stacy asked as they walked down the hallway towards their homeroom.

     “That boy I just bumped into.” Chloe said as she looked back up the hallway and saw the boy now stood at the side of Finlay and Paul. “The one stood with Fin and Paul.” Chloe added as she pointed in their direction. Chloe was soon frowning and looking back in the direction she was walking when she saw Finlay grinning and waving at her.

    Stacy looked over her shoulder and smiled at Paul, and even gave him a quick wave, but she didn’t see any other boys stood with them. “Chloe, there isn’t any other boy stood with Fin and Paul.”

    Chloe looked over her shoulder again and let out a groan when she saw a girl run right through the boy like he wasn’t there. The thing Chloe found odd was the fact she hadn’t sensed him as a ghost, and he wasn’t a misted or sick looking image like she’d seen with Mary, the maid in the library, or Heather. This boy looked just like Finlay and Paul, all apart from the fact everyone was walking right through him like he wasn’t there.

     “Do you think there’s another; you know what, here at the school?” Stacy whispered.

    Chloe didn’t want to start talking about ghosts with the others around, so she just looked at Stacy and then shrugged. Stacy got the message that Chloe didn’t want to talk about it and shut up.

     “What you two whispering about?” Sophie asked in a fake whisper.

     “I was just asking Chloe why she’s playing so hard to get with Fin.” Stacy lied.

     “Stace...!” Chloe growled, not for the fact she was lying, but more about the fact she was making it sound like she had feelings for Finlay, which she found she did, or she thought she might have. Finlay was the first boy to treat her nice, so it was hard to work out, Chloe found herself thinking.

     “He does seem to like you a lot Chloe.” Susan pointed out with a smile.

    Chloe was just about to argue with her when she noticed that Susan looked a little different today, she looked even more like a girl than she had the day before, but Chloe couldn’t put her finger on what it was.

     “You look different today Suzy, what have you done?” Chloe finally asked when she couldn’t work out what it was.

     “Jade played with my hair for me, and she attacked my eyebrows.” Susan blushed. “Do I look alright?” She asked nervously.

     “You look much better, I like it.” Chloe smiled, glad that she’d managed to change the subject away from her and Finlay.

     “I thought I might need to borrow a strimmer off one of the gardeners to start with.” Jade said teasingly. “I’ve never seen a girl with bushier eyebrows.” She added with a giggle.

     “Hey...! They weren’t that bad.” Susan whined as she slapped Jade on the arm.

     “They weren’t that good either.” Jade giggled as she tried to hide behind Sophie, while Susan chased her around.

    Chloe and Stacy laughed as they watched Sophie getting spun around and used as a shield by Jade, as Susan tried to slap her in a playful manner. Chloe was glad to see Susan having some fun, and that she was also embracing being a girl.

     “Stop playing around and get to your homeroom girls.” A teacher said as she walked past.

     “Yes Miss.” The girls said as they all picked up their bags and made their way to their homeroom.

    Susan went to sit in her normal seat, but before she could sit down, Sophie pulled her to the back where they all sat. There was an empty seat next to Jade, so they weren’t taking another students seat.

     “We can’t have you sat all the way over there.” Sophie said as she pulled out the chair for Susan.

     “Thanks Sophie.” Susan smiled back at her new friend.

    The teacher entered the room, so they all took their seats, so the teacher could take the register.

*****

    Chloe looked around for the boy she’d bumped into earlier, but she hadn’t seen him again, and Spirit hadn’t been around either, not that Chloe could ask her about the boy, and why he felt different to all the other ghosts she’d come across. The other thing that had Chloe worried, was why Brut her personal grim reaper hadn’t appeared when the boy touched her. Chloe thought that there might be some ghosts that Brut couldn’t sense.

     “Is everything alright Chloe?” Susan asked as they were making their way to their next lesson mid morning.

     “Yes, I’m fine, just trying to get use to this place.” Chloe smiled, hoping that her little lie looked convincing enough to fool Susan and the others. She knew it wouldn’t fool Stacy, but Stacy was in on her secrets, so Chloe wasn’t too worried about Stacy realising that something was troubling her.

     “I know what you mean; it took me some time last term to get use to it all.” Susan said with an understanding look. “This place isn’t like a normal school is it?” She added with a laugh.

     “I like it much better than the other schools I’ve been to in the past though.” Chloe smiled.

    The girls had been walking down the hallway as they spoke, and Chloe was looking over her shoulder at Susan, and not where she was going, so she didn’t see Jane and her two friends walk around the corner. Chloe walked right into Jane, but it was Jane that jumped back while letting out a squeal.

     “I’m sorry...” Chloe started to say, but she stopped when she saw it was only Jane she’d walked into.

     “It was my fault.” Jane admitted, which earned her strange looks from everyone, including Chloe.

     “It was your fault?” Sophie asked, not sure if her ears had stopped working. “You actually admit to doing something wrong?” Sophie added, heavy with sarcasm.

    Jane looked ready to say something just as sarcastic in return, but she suddenly let out another squeal and jumped back. Sophie and the others all looked to the spot where Jane had been looking just before she freaked out, but none of them could see anything, well all except Chloe, who saw two Heathers stood there. Chloe knew that none of the others except Jane could see one of the Heathers, and only she could see both of them.

     “What’s got into you...?” Sophie asked looking worried over the way Jane was acting.

     “It looks like she’s seen a ghost or something.” Stacy said in a loud whisper, so Jane heard her say it.

     “Ghost...! What ghost?” Jane snapped looking worried. “Can you see her as well?” Jane asked as she stepped towards Stacy looking hopeful.

     “What are you talking about?” Stacy asked as she stepped back and slapped Jane’s hands away as she tried to grab hold of Stacy’s blazer.

     “Nothing... Nothing...” Jane snapped as she pulled herself together and walked off down the hallway with her two friends following behind her. Jane’s two friends looked just as confused as Chloe and the others, as to why Jane was acting weirder than normal.

     “Did anyone else find that weird, even for Jane?” Jade asked.

     “Maybe she forgot to take her meds this morning.” Stacy joked.

     “She forgot something.” Sophie agreed.

     “I’ve never seen Jane look so rough before, and I’ve never know her to let anyone have the last word.” Jade giggled. “Goes to show you that even an evil bitch like Jane Bridgeport has a bad day once in a while.” Jade shrugged.

     “So this isn’t normal behaviour for her then?” Chloe asked, trying to play dumb over what just happened. Chloe could see that Stacy was having lots of fun seeing Jane suffer, but Chloe also felt a little sad that Heather had been killed by Jane. Chloe did think that the real Heather looked happy enough to see Spirit haunting Jane for her though.

     “We better get a move on.” Susan said when she heard the bell for the next lesson to start. They still had some distance to go due to Jane distracting them all with her odd behaviour.

    The teacher was just taking registration when the girls arrived, so they all apologised for being tardy and took their normal group of seats together near the back of the classroom. The class they were now in was on fashion design, so Jade was excited about it. Chloe and Susan both looked worried though, as neither of them had ever done any sewing, and knew very little about fashion designs.

    Jade was selected as their group leader, due to her having done sewing and fashion design before. Jade was soon helping all the others to use a sewing machine to help the teacher out. Stacy and Sophie knew a little, and were able to work on their own most the time, so this meant that Jade could spend more time helping Chloe and Susan.

*****

     “I don’t think I’ll ever understand how to sew something.” Susan whined as they made their way to the dining hall at lunchtime.

     “You were doing really well for your first time on a sewing machine.” Jade said, trying to stop Susan putting herself down so early in the term.

     “Just think of how happy your dad will be when you can do all the sewing for him.” Sophie pointed out.

     “Is that supposed to make me feel better?” Susan frowned.

     “Who does the sewing at the minute?” Sophie asked.

     “My dad does it.” Susan replied.

     “Just think of how proud he will be to see his ex tomboy daughter take over the job.” Sophie explained, not realising just how much that statement hurt Susan.

    Chloe could see the look of pain and worry on Susan’s face, and she found herself wondering once more, just what led to all this with Susan, and how much it must be killing her inside to not have anyone to talk to about it. Chloe was glad to hear Finlay calling her name as he and Paul ran down the hallway to catch up with them.

    Susan looked glad to have Finlay and Paul join them as well, all talk of sewing stopped due to the girls knowing that the boys wouldn’t want to speak about anything like that.

     “How was your morning?” Finlay asked as he dropped in next to Chloe and placed an arm around her shoulder.

     “It was alright.” Chloe replied as she slipped out of his grip again.

     “Too soon for that sort of thing?” Finlay asked with a pained look. “Just let me know when it’s cool to get closer.” He added with a grin.

     “That’s easy, never...” Chloe said slowly in the hopes of it sinking into Finlay’s brain.

     “I bet you’ll be begging me to wrap you in my arms one day.” Finlay sounded smug as he said it.

     “Don’t hold your breath.” Chloe grumbled. “On second thoughts, do hold your breath.” She added with more excitement.

    Finlay just laughed due to Chloe not sounding convinced that’s what she really wanted Finlay to do. Chloe did like hanging around with Finlay and Paul, but she just didn’t like the way he was always trying to get close to her. The last thing Chloe wanted was for Finlay or anyone other than Stacy to find out she’s not a real girl yet on the outside.

    They all made their way to the dining hall and were stood in line to get their lunch before Finlay spoke to Chloe again. “Have you seen Jane yet today?” He asked.

     “Yes, we all saw her as we went to our second class mid morning.” Chloe said.

     “Do you think she’s acting a little odd?” Finlay looked puzzled.

     “Yes, very odd.” Chloe agreed. “We were all saying the same thing after we bumped into her.” Chloe explained.

     “A couple of girls in our art class said they heard her arguing with someone in the toilets, but when they entered, Jane was in there on her own with no cell phone or anything.” Paul said in a whisper, trying not to be overheard by everyone.

    Chloe wondered what Spirit had said to Jane to make her want to argue with a ghost, but she knew that Spirit would give her all the details when she could.

     “Are we going riding again tonight?” Sophie asked, wanting to change the subject away from Jane.

     “I can’t this evening; I have a doctor’s appointment.” Chloe pouted.

     “We can’t go riding this evening either Sophie.” Jade said all of a sudden. “It’s the first meeting of the computer club, remember?”

     “Oh crap...! I’d forgotten all about that being this evening.” Sophie grumbled. “I was really looking forward to a nice ride as well.” Sophie sighed heavily.

     “That’s a shame.” Finlay said sadly. “Paul and I were going to meet up with you again, so I could spoil Shadow with more mints.” He added with a grin. “Why do you need to go see a doctor?” Finlay asked.

     “It’s just a check up.” Chloe said. “I have to take medication since the accident I had in my father’s car.” Chloe explained, but kept it vague.

     “What time is your appointment?” Finlay asked.

     “My mother is taking me right after school, and then she wanted to take me shopping because she’s not seen much of me since I got Shadow.” Chloe grinned as she thought about having her very own horse and how much she loved to ride him.

     “Your mum’s picking you up tonight?” Finlay looked excited to hear this.

     “Yes she is.” Chloe looked puzzled for a couple of seconds before her brain kicked in and she realised why Finlay was getting so excited. “Are you really that eager to meet my mother?” Chloe asked, not understanding the big deal he was making.

     “Would you mind if I come and say hi to her?” Finlay asked with a grin.

     “Sure, but she’s nothing special.” Chloe warned.

     “So is that a yes then?” Finlay grinned.

     “I doubt you’d take much notice if I said you couldn’t.” Chloe sighed.

     “I would stay away if you asked me to.” Finlay looked serious as he said this. “If you think me meeting your mother so soon in our relationship could cause you embarrassment.”

     “Relationship...? What relationship...?” Chloe stuttered out looking shocked.

     “Well we are friends, right?” Finlay asked looking a little hurt now.

     “Oh yes, I see you as a friend.” Chloe said with a hint of relief in her voice. “And for the record, I don’t feel embarrassed by you.” Chloe added with a smile.

     “Not yet you don’t, but you may feel different once he’s met your mum.” Paul chuckled. He was soon fending off Finlay though, when he started to punch him in the arm.

     “What are you trying to say about me dude.” Finlay asked as he managed to get Paul in a head lock. He had to let him go though before he got an answer, due to a dinner lady telling them to stop messing around.

    They all got their lunches and then found a table large enough to seat them all before any talking continued. Jade brought up the sewing class again, and she was soon in a deep conversation about fashion with Paul. Jade already knew about Paul’s mother being a fashion designer, and she acted a lot like Finlay did with Chloe. Chloe could see that Stacy looked a little jealous to begin with, because Jade looked to be enjoying her chat with Paul, but Stacy soon relaxed again after she dropped her fork and it went on the floor, and Paul was quick to offer her his, which he hadn’t used yet, just before he jumped up to go get himself another one.

    When Paul returned, Stacy was happy to join in the conversation Paul and Jade was having about some of the people Paul’s mother had made dresses for. Chloe was happy to just sit and eat her lunch while steeling the odd look over towards the table where she could see Jane sat with her two friends and two versions of Heather.

    Chloe wasn’t shocked when she saw Jane suddenly stand up and scream at the two Heathers to leave her alone, just before she ran from the dining hall. Chloe knew that Jane had been screaming at Spirit pretending to be Heather, while the real Heather watched with a grin on her face, but everyone else in the dining hall would have just seen Jane screaming at an empty seat across from her.

     “Wow, I think someone needs to go onto decaf.” Finlay said as he looked over to where Jane had been seated, but now there were just the two friends looking at each other in stunned silence.

     “Do you think she broke a nail or something?” Stacy asked jokingly.

     “Maybe she found a gray hair.” Jade said looking shocked just before she started to giggle.

     “Well she’s not doing much for her queen bitch image.” Finlay said as he turned back to the table and carried on eating his lunch. “But she is doing a good job of becoming the schools resident crazy person.” He added as he lifted his fork to the side of his head and started turning it in a circle to indicate that he thought Jane was going insane.

    Everyone had a good laugh at Jane’s outburst, and then they all finished their lunches and went outside to enjoy the rest of the lunchtime break before afternoon classes started.

*****

    Chloe didn’t see Jane again for the rest of the day, and she didn’t see anything of Spirit or Heather either, so she could only gather that where ever Jane was hiding, she had the company of them two as well, even if she could only see Spirit pretending to be Heather.

    Finlay and Paul were both waiting outside the classroom when Chloe and the others finished there last lesson of the day.

     “Did you skip your last lesson or something to get here so fast?” Chloe asked when she stepped out of the room and saw Finlay and Paul leaning against the wall waiting for them.

     “No.” Finlay smiled. “Paul and I offered to take some books back to the library, so the teacher let us leave ten minutes early.” He explained. “I didn’t want to risk you sneaking away so I couldn’t meet your mum.” He added looking smug.

     “I wouldn’t do that to you Fin.” Chloe sounded a little hurt that he would think she would do that to him, not that the thought hadn’t crossed her mind.

     “I’m sorry, it was just a joke.” Finlay said when he realised that he might have just hurt Chloe’s feelings. “I just really do love your mother’s books.” He added in a more pleading tone for Chloe to forgive him.

     “Okay then, apology excepted.” Chloe sighed. “But we better get a move on, or I’ll be telling my mother that it’s your fault I’m running late for my appointment.” Chloe added as she started walking towards the main entrance where she hoped her mother would be parked up waiting for her and Stacy.

     “We can’t have that.” Finlay said as he took hold of Chloe’s hand and started walking really fast, pulling her along behind him. He only slowed again after being told off by a teacher for running, or close to a run.

    Chloe had been shocked when Finlay took hold of her hand, but she couldn’t help noticing just how much bigger his hand felt now it was wrapped around her own. Even though Finlay wasn’t one of the largest kids in school, his hands were still much larger than hers, and they felt a lot rougher to the touch as well.

     “You can let go of my hand, I do know the way.” Chloe said once they were slowed to a normal walk again.

     “I know you do, but I like holding your hand.” Finlay smiled as he looked down to where he was doing just that. “You have such tiny soft hands.” He added as he lifted it up to get a better look at it.

    Chloe looked down to hide the blush in her cheeks, and she could see nothing but a girls hand in that of a boy. She felt even more girly as she looked at their two hands and the difference in size. Chloe couldn’t help smiling when she saw the pink nail polish she had on her nails.

     “That’s my mother’s car over there.” Chloe said when they got outside. She used the hand Finlay had been holding to point over to where her mother was parked.

     “Do I look alright?” Finlay asked, sounding nervous all of a sudden.

     “You look fine.” Chloe said looking confused. “It’s not like you’re asking her out on a date.” Chloe added. “You’re not are you...?” Chloe looked worried now.

     “No...!” Finlay shot back looking just as worried now. “But I wouldn’t mind asking you out on a date, well to a movie and a burger or something like that.” He babbled as he tried to stop it sounding like he was actually asking Chloe out on a date and make it sound more like friends hanging out and doing stuff. “I’ll even let you pick some chick flick for us to go and see.” Finlay added when he saw the look on Chloe’s face and he thought she was about to say no to him.

     “I’ll think about it.” Chloe said, not saying no, but not saying yes either. The grin on Finlay’s face said that he saw the thinking about it as a yes though. They had made it over to Valarie’s car as they spoke and Chloe smiled at her mother.

     “Hello sweetie, did you have a good day at school?” Valarie asked as she got out her car to say hello to Chloe’s friends.

     “Hi mummy.” Chloe said as she gave her mother a hug and got a kiss on the forehead. “Yes I had a good day.” Chloe added as she enjoyed her hug.

     “Hello Stacy, and who are your other friends?” Valarie asked as she looked at the two boys and two girls.

    Chloe was glad that Susan had already gone to meet her father, and hadn’t joined them for this little get together outside the entrance to the main school building.

     “This is Finlay, Paul, Sophie and Jade.” Chloe said as she pointed to each of her friends.

     “Hello, it’s nice to meet you all.” Valarie said as she shook each child’s hand. “So you’re this Finlay I’ve been hearing so much about.” Valarie added as she shook Finlay’s hand last and looked him up and down.

     “Chloe’s been talking about me?” Finlay asked, sounding partly smug and partly worried to find this out.

     “Don’t look so worried Finlay, Chloe’s only had nice things to say about you.” Valarie smiled when she saw the worry in his eyes.

     “Hello Mrs Ashcroft, it’s very nice to meet you.” Finlay said nervously. “I love all your books and I would love to get some advice on becoming a writer one day myself.” He added.

     “It’s just Miss Ashcroft.” Valarie said. “I’m not married anymore, and Ashcroft was always my maiden name.” She explained. “Your headmistress has asked me to come and give a talk on how I became a writer, and also offer what advice I may have on helping the students here find a foot hold in the industry themselves.”

     “Chloe told me about that, but I’d still like to sit down with you one on one and ask you some questions.” Finlay said looking hopeful that he wouldn’t get shot down in flames.

     “I can’t see a problem with that, as long as it doesn’t bother my daughter if you come to the house one day and join us for dinner.” Valarie said this as she looked at Chloe to see if it would be a problem.

     “I don’t mind mother.” Chloe smiled, even if it did feel forced, due to her not being all that happy about being put on the spot by her mother. “Maybe Stacy, Sophie, Jade and Paul could come over as well? Make a party of it.” Chloe added looking hopeful that her mother and her friends would all like that idea. Chloe just didn’t want to be alone in her home with Finlay. She thought it was too soon to have a boy over without her other friends there as backup.

     “I think that would be a wonderful idea sweetie.” Valarie smiled. “I’ll let you sort out the details with your friends, so you can all work out the best night to do it.” Valarie added. “I hate to rush you sweetie, but we do need to see about getting a move on.” Valarie said after she looked at her watch.

    Chloe and Stacy said goodbye to their friends before they got in the back of Valarie’s car. The two girls and Valarie all waved to Finlay, Paul, Sophie and Jade as they drove away.

     “Your friends all seem really nice Chloe, and I do like Finlay, he’s got very good manners.” Valarie said from the front of the car while keeping her eyes on the road.

     “I can’t believe you invited him over for dinner...!” Chloe said sounding shocked from the back of the car.

     “I just thought it would give the two of you some time to talk away from school.” Valarie said, not understanding the reason for Chloe’s concern.

     “I don’t want to be alone with him or any boy for that matter.” Chloe shot back. “What if he finds out my secret?” Chloe asked.

     “We’ll just ask Spirit not to go appearing in front of him at the house.” Valarie said, not understanding what Chloe meant by secret.

     “I don’t mean that secret mother, I mean the other one.” Chloe growled.

     “I hope you don’t get personal enough with any boy for a couple of years yet in that way.” Valarie said looking worried as she looked over her shoulder at Chloe. “If he does try to get that close, then he’s not the boy I thought he was and you should look for someone else that is willing to wait until you’re ready for that sort of thing.” Valarie added in her best mother knows best tone.

     “I don’t want to get personal with him; you were the one that invited him over to the house.” Chloe pointed out. “I keep trying to put him off wanting to spend time with me, but he just thinks I’m playing hard to get.” Chloe threw her arms in the air due to her being frustrated over the whole boy thing, and how confused she was over her feelings.

     “Dealing with boys is all part of growing up sweetie.” Valarie giggled.

     “I know that mother, but why does he have to be so annoying about it.” Chloe grumbled.

     “I get the feeling you like him, but are worried about the feelings you have, am I right?” Valarie asked with a knowing tone to her voice.

     “I do like him, but part of me is saying that those feelings are wrong.” Chloe sounded even more frustrated with herself now.

     “Which part of you is saying these feelings are wrong, your heart or your head?” Valarie asked.

    Chloe thought about it for a couple of seconds before she answered. “Well my heart beats faster whenever I see him, but a small voice in my head is telling me I shouldn’t feel that way about a boy, so I guess that it’s my brain telling me to stop feeling this way, while my heart is saying go for it.”

     “I think you need to listen to your heart more than your brain then.” Valarie grinned as she looked over her shoulder at Chloe sat in the back of her car. “Your brain in just trying to be logical, but you’re not James anymore, so you can’t draw on past experience to help you out.” Valarie tried to explain.

     “So what your saying is Chloe’s been brainwashed?” Stacy asked.

     “Not so much brainwashed, more like conditioned to think like a boy, even though she always felt female.” Valarie tried to explain the way she understood it.

     “We need to recondition you then, to be more like a girl.” Stacy grinned like it wasn’t going to be that much of a problem.

     “We just need to let Chloe be herself, and she will soon come to understand that all those feelings she kept locked away all these years, are perfectly normal for a girl to have.” Valarie said in a loving tone. “Apart from all this trouble with Finlay, how have you been feeling this week?” Valarie asked.

     “I feel like I fit in, and I don’t feel like I’m even trying to be a girl.” Chloe grinned as she looked down at her legs, covered in her school uniforms skirt. “I use to find it harder trying to be a boy in my old school.” Chloe added with a shudder as she thought about all the times James would get chased and beaten up if they managed to catch him.

     “I rest my case then.” Valarie laughed. “Now then, let’s talk about something a little more fun.” Valarie added with a grin. “Do you want to come shopping with us Stacy?” Valarie asked as she looked at Stacy in the rear view mirror.

     “I’d love to...!” Stacy said looking excited. “But I thought Chloe said it was just going to be the two of you having a mother, daughter trip out?” Stacy added with a confused look on her face.

     “That was my first thought, but then I thought that Chloe could use a little help with finding some fashions more suited for her own age, so I called your mother and asking if it would be alright for me to borrow you for the afternoon to come and help us shop.” Valarie explained her reason for asking Stacy to join them.

     “Do you mind if I join you and your mother Chloe?” Stacy asked as she looked at Chloe to see what she thought to the idea.

     “I’d love to go shopping with you.” Chloe grinned excitedly.

     “Sadly this does mean you’ll have to sit and wait in the doctors while Chloe has her check up.” Valarie warned.

     “I don’t mind that.” Stacy grinned back. “I use to do that all the time while Stephi was getting her checkups.” Stacy added, waving off Valarie warning.

    Valarie was soon parking up outside the doctor’s surgery and Chloe and Stacy jumped out the car. Stacy looked a little more relaxed than Chloe, but even Chloe looked excited to be spending more time with her best friend.

    They made their way into the surgery and were greeted by a middle aged woman that smiled at them.

     “Good afternoon, how may I help you?” The woman asked.

     “Hello, I’m Miss Ashcroft, and I’ve brought my daughter Chloe for a check up.” Valarie explained.

     “Yes, I have you on my screen right now.” The woman smiled. “The doctor is running about five minutes late, so if you’d be so kind as to take a seat over there, I’ll call you when he’s ready for you.”

    Valarie, Chloe and Stacy all took a seat and waited to be called in to the doctor’s office. None of them spoke while they waited, Valarie could see the woman behind the counter looking at them, and she didn’t want to risk giving her anything to gossip about.

     “You may go in and see Dr Kaufman now.” The woman said five minutes later.

    Valarie and Chloe got to their feet, while Stacy remained seated with a magazine which was around two years out of date, but she’d found an interesting article on makeup she was reading.

     “We shouldn’t be too long Stacy.” Valarie said with a smile just before she led Chloe over to the door with Dr Kaufman’s name on it.

*****

    Robert was sat looking through some paperwork when he saw Valarie and Chloe enter the room. He put the paperwork down and got to his feet to walk over and give Valarie a kiss.

     “Hello Val.” He said between kisses. “Hello Chloe, and how have you been feeling?” He asked once he’d let Valarie know how much he’d missed her.

     “Hello Robert, I’m feeling okay, but I’m not sure those pills are working though.” Chloe pouted. “I don’t feel any different.” She added as she looked down at her flat chest.

     “I’m sorry, but things don’t happen overnight honey, you need to give it some time, but it will start to have an effect on you soon enough.” He promised. “I’ve got the test results back today.” He added as he led the two of them over to his desk and helped them to take a seat before he walked around to his side and sat down again.

     “Is everything alright Robert?” Valarie asked with worry in her voice.

     “Yes.” Robert said with a sigh that let Valarie and Chloe know something was wrong.

     “You don’t sound it.” Valarie pointed out.

     “I was hoping the test results would show Chloe to be a girl with a birth defect like Susan Smith, but sadly that’s not the case.” Robert started to explain. “You body isn’t producing the amount of male hormones it should be, but that’s not uncommon in someone as small as you Chloe, and we’ve already started using blockers to stop it all together.” He added with a sad smile.

    Robert then went on to talk about some stuff that Chloe didn’t understand, but he was explaining it more to Valarie than Chloe.

     “What does this mean for me in the future then?” Chloe asked, worried that she wouldn’t be able to become a girl one day.

     “Please don’t look so worried Chloe, it just means we’ll have to sort out for you to have sex reassignment surgery one day in the future, but the pills your on will help you to grow up just like any other girl your age, apart from what you have between your legs” He explained.

     “But I will still be a freak with something to hide until that day.” Chloe snapped out angrily as she sat back in the seat and crossed her arms across her chest and pouted, just before she burst into tears.

     “Chloe...!” Valarie snapped at her, not happy with the way Chloe was acting.

     “Please don’t be angry with her Val. Part of this acting out is due to the hormones she’s on. Chloe’s had a lot to deal with, and it’s only going to get worse as she gets older.” Robert explained.

     “I don’t care.” Valarie snapped. “I won’t have my daughter calling herself a freak.” Valarie said as she reached over and pulled Chloe closer and hugged her.

     “What if I told you I could do something cosmetic to help you fit in with the other girls, even if you were seen naked by them?” Robert asked as he looked at Chloe.

    Chloe was soon sat up again and looking at Robert for the answer to her dreams. “How can you help me do that?” She asked as she wiped her tears away with a tissue Valarie had handed her.

     “I’ve been reading up on the internet, and I’ve found something that I think will help you a lot.” He started to explain. “It involves us pushing your testicles back up into your body, then I will use some surgical glue and stitches to fashion your penis to look like a vagina.”

     “It sounds painful.” Chloe said nervously.

     “It will be a little painful after I’ve done it, but only for a couple of days.” Robert started to explain. “You won’t feel anything while I do it to you.” He added with a promise in his smile.

     “Can you do it now?” Chloe asked excitedly.

     “No, not right now, as I need to warn you that you won’t be able to ride your bike or your horse for a week after I’ve done it.” Robert explained. “I was thinking we could do it at the start of half term, that way you will be recovered by the time you’re due to go back to school.”

     “But I won’t be able to do anything fun either while I’m off.” Chloe whined.

     “Will she have to stay off her feet for the week, or is it just things like riding and really physical things?” Valarie asked, trying to get a better understanding of what would be involved in this little operation Robert had planned.

     “She’ll be sore for a couple of days, but she’ll be able to get about, just as long as she takes her time and doesn’t try doing anything to physical.” Robert said looking thoughtful. “Why do you ask?”

     “Could you do the operation on a Friday evening, and then let her go back to school on the Monday if she promises to take it easy?” Valarie asked Robert, but looked at Chloe with a stern look as she said the last part.

     “I think that would work, but you would need to take it easy though Chloe, or you could do yourself some serious damage.” Robert warned. “I’ll prescribe you some pain medication to help you not stand out as having much of a problem.” He added with a smile.

     “If anyone does start asking questions, just tell them you’ve started on your period.” Valarie suggested.

     “That would work as a cover story; a lot of girls suffer quite badly when they first get their periods.” Robert agreed.

     “Does that sound any better for you sweetie?” Valarie asked.

     “Yes, much better.” Chloe was grinning now.

     “You still won’t be able to ride for a week, but this way you won’t be stuck in the house getting under foot during half term.” Valarie smiled as she pulled the much happier child into another hug.

     “We’ll get it all sorted out and do the operation in a couple of weeks, once you’ve got settled in at school.” Robert said.

     “What’s wrong with doing it this weekend coming?” Chloe asked; eager to see what she’d look like with a female looking groin.

     “I need to order some bits in, and also I want to do it on a weekend that Julia isn’t going to be around.” Robert explained.

     “Julia...?” Valarie asked looking angry, thinking that Robert might be seeing another woman as well as her.

     “My receptionist, you just met her out in the waiting room.” Robert answered looking worried. “She only works every other Friday, so if we plan to do the surgery in a couple of weeks, I will be alone on the Friday afternoon.”

     “Can’t she be trusted?” Valarie looked worried now.

     “Julia has no contact with the patient records, but I don’t want to risk her being around to ask questions either.” Robert said to reassure Valarie.

     “That does make more sense now you’ve explained it to me.” Valarie said as she relaxed a little.

     “I won’t keep you any longer, as I know you want to take Chloe shopping.” Robert smiled as he got to his feet and then stepped around his desk to help Valarie stand. Chloe had already jumped to her feet and was making her way over to the door.

     “Thank you Dr Kaufman.” Chloe grinned just before she left the room to give her mother a couple of minutes to say goodbye.

     “Bye Chloe.” Robert said to the closing office door. “Do you think she’s alright with the two of us getting closer to each other?” Robert asked Valarie as he wrapped his arms around her and then pulled her close to him.

     “She’s fine with it, but Stacy is out in the waiting room, and no child likes to see their parents kissing and acting all lovey duvey.” Valarie giggled just before she leaned in for a kiss.

*****

    Stacy was still sat reading the magazine article when Chloe got back to the waiting room, but Stacy put the magazine down and smiled at her.

     “How did it go?” Stacy asked.

     “Fine...” Chloe grinned back.

     “Looks like it went better than fine to me.” Stacy said with a look that said she wanted to know everything.

     “I’ll tell you in the car.” Chloe whispered as she looked over her shoulder at Julia, the woman on reception.

     “Oh right.” Stacy whispered back when she understood what Chloe was getting at, and why she was whispering herself.

    They were soon joined by a smiling Valarie and they left the surgery and made their way over to Valarie’s car and they all got in.

     “I’m sorry it wasn’t the news you were hoping for sweetie.” Valarie said once they were on the road and heading towards the city.

     “But it wasn’t all bad news either mummy.” Chloe said, all smiles still.

     “What happened in there?” Stacy asked in a pleading tone.

    Chloe giggled at her best friend, but she was soon explaining that she wasn’t intersexed like she was hoping, but more like Stephanie, and she would need to have surgery at some point in the future.

     “I’m sorry Chloe.” Stacy pouted as she reached over and took hold of Chloe’s hand to let her know she’d be with her all the way.

     “Robert did say he could do something to my groin to make me look more like a girl though.” Chloe added, looking just as excited as she had when Robert first told her in his office.

     “How can he do that?” Stacy asked looking puzzled. Chloe just blushed, so Valarie explained it to Stacy.

     “Will you be able to go swimming and do other girl stuff after that then?” Stacy asked with a grin of her own now.

     “Yes, she’ll be able to have sleepovers and invite your friends over to play in the pool when it’s finished.” Valarie agreed.

     “You’ll have to get a cute swimsuit to impress Fin.” Stacy teased.

    Stacy was soon laughing her head off when she saw the evil look Chloe was giving her. “Who said anything about me inviting him over to play in the pool?” Chloe growled.

     “You can’t fool me girlfriend.” Stacy said looking smug. “I know you fancy him.” She added just before she started laughing again at the strange look Chloe had on her face.

    Valarie just smiled as she looked at Chloe and Stacy acting like your typical teenagers in the back of her car. Valarie was looking forward to taking the two girls shopping.

    They were soon pulling into a car park and Valarie found a parking spot and parked up. Once they were out the car and it was locked up, they all made their way into the shopping centre to start their shopping spree.

*****

 

To Be Continued Next Tuesday  GRIN

 

Story by SaraUK

 

Edited and Posted by SamanthaK

    EDITORS NOTE: Please Comment and/or leave Kudos and let Sara know you like her work please, Any comments on spelling, grammar or the layout of the story please PM me “Samanthak” not Sara. Thank you

up
176 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Wonder how long before Jane

breaks? Is everybody right about Chloe liking Fin?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

How Long

before Jane breaks? Well, it could be several more chapters, as the heading says this is 10 of 13+, so who knows. But then, we have another new ghost on the scene also, so who was he, and what is his story?

I love this series, Sara and Samantha, so keep it going for awhile!

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm

Well that is a pity

GRS is never fun.

However she is growing up a girl socially and that is more of a prize than she will ever realize.

Kim

The new ghost is Fin's and

The new ghost is Fin's and Paul's friend who is in a coma in the hospital, betcha I betcha ;-)
Thanks for the stories, Sara -- I like them on so many levels!!
Hugs,
Miri