A Ghost Of A Chance. Book 2. Chapter 8

Printer-friendly version


 © February 2013


Part Eight of 13+


Chapter Eight: The Dead Girl’s Story?

    Stacy was all smiles when Chloe and Ashley arrived to pick her up for school. Dorothy had managed to put Stacy’s hair up in a French braid just like Chloe had.

     “I love what your mum did with your hair Stacy.” Chloe grinned as she walked around Stacy to get a proper look at it.

     “I love it too, and it’s much easier to deal with through the day while I’m at school.” Stacy grinned back.

    Ashley soon had them in her car and she took them to school and dropped them off without any trouble. Chloe and Stacy both waved to Ashley as she drove away before they turned and made their way into the school.

     “Did you speak with this Samantha last night about Heather and Jane?” Stacy asked while they were still making their way into the school.

     “Yes I did, and she said that I need to have a word with Heather and find out what happened before I do anything about it.” Chloe started to explain. “Spirit told me that ghosts can get confused about what happened to them, so it’s best to make sure Jane really did have something to do with her death, and Heather wasn’t just being picked on by Jane.” Chloe explained.

     “That’s an easy one to answer. Jane picks on everybody.” Stacy giggled, but it didn’t sound like a happy giggle.

     “I know that, but I still need to be sure Jane did have something to do with her death before I set my plan in motion.”

     “What is your plan anyway?” Stacy asked in a whisper, like it was some big secret she didn’t want others to find out about. Even though it was, not many would understand what they were talking about.

     “I need to get up to the roof where Heather fell from. Spirit says that’s where I’ll stand the best chance of being able to talk to her.”

     “Scottie stopped anyone from going up there after Heather died.” Stacy said looking worried. “She said she’d expel anyone found going up there.”

     “I don’t have any other choice.” Chloe shrugged. “I need time to talk to her without anyone else being around.” Chloe explained.

     “Scottie knows about your thing with ghosts, so why not tell her the reason you need to go up there, I’m sure she’ll understand.” Stacy said in a tone that sounded hopeful Chloe would listen to her, and not risk getting in trouble.

     “If I asked Miss Scott to go up there, she’d want to know why, and if I have it wrong and Heather wasn’t pushed off the roof...” Chloe trailed off, leaving Stacy to fill in the blanks.

     “I see what you mean.” Stacy frowned while also looking deep in thought.

     “If I get caught, I’ll just say some students tricked me into going up there.” Chloe said, trying to stop Stacy from worrying too much.

     “But for you to do that, means you will need to get away from me and the others.” Stacy worked out and didn’t like that idea.

     “With what you’ve just told me, I don’t have another choice, not one that doesn’t involve you getting expelled if we get caught anyway.” Chloe pointed out. “I’ll be fine, and I’ll have Spirit to watch my back while I’m away from you and the others.” Chloe added sounding more upbeat about it all.

    Stacy wanted to argue the point with Chloe, but she couldn’t because Sophie and Jade came running out the main school building to meet them at that moment. Stacy just gave Chloe a look that said this wasn’t over by a long shot.

     “Hi Sophie, Jade.” Chloe smiled as she hugged each of them. “How was the fencing class yesterday?” Chloe asked, happy to change the subject to a more normal topic.

     “It was alright, but not as exciting as I thought it would be.” Sophie sighed. “I bet you and Stace had more fun riding?” Sophie asked with a grin now.

     “Yes we had a nice ride, but it was quiet without the two of you with us.” It was Chloe’s turn to pout this time.

     “Rose and Maiden looked sad to see us riding without taking them out as well.” Stacy added. “Chloe fed them some mints when we got back though, and that seemed to cheer them up.” Stacy added as she got a hug from each of them.

     “Are we all going for a ride today?” Jade asked looking hopeful.

     “Just try and stop me.” Chloe grinned. “I just hope we can get through the day without getting any homework.” She added with a frown.

     “That would be nice.” Stacy agreed.

    They had all walked to their homeroom as they talked, and Chloe was surprised to make it there without seeing Finlay anywhere. She also found herself feeling a little sad about that.

    The first lesson of the day was geography and Chloe used the knowledge Spirit left her to help get through the lesson, but the second period of the morning would see Chloe back in the library while the others had swim class. Chloe was actually jealous of the other three because as James’, Chloe had loved to go swimming. It had only stopped when James’ mother got ill.

     “Are you sure your doctor won’t let you do swim class with us?” Sophie asked looking sad as she, Stacy and jade walked Chloe to the library, which was on the way to the swimming pool.

     “Yes, I’m sure.” Chloe pouted. “I begged with him to let me do swimming, but he doesn’t trust me to not over do it and try to keep up with all of you.” Chloe lied.

    It wasn’t all bad for Chloe though on the swimming front, as she’d found out that her mother was going to go ahead with the plan to have a pool put in at the house for her to use whenever she wanted, and she wouldn’t have to worry about anyone finding out her secret either. Valarie had warned Chloe not to say anything to Sophie or Jade about the pool though, just in case they started asking to many questions about why Chloe didn’t swim at school. Chloe hadn’t planned on Sophie asking her anyway, but she thought the lie worked, and it also made it sound like she could swim if being supervised by someone other than a teacher at school.

     “Shall we meet you here again after swimming, so we can all head for lunch together?” Jade asked.

     “I need to pop and have a word with Miss Scott before lunch, so I’ll meet you in the dining room.” Chloe said. She was actually going to sneak out of the library and go up on the roof to see if she could make contact with Heather and find out what happened to her.

     “We can come with you” Sophie said. “What if you run into Jane and her little gang without us?” She asked looking worried.

     “I’ll deal with it; and I can always start screaming for help if I do run into her.” Chloe smiled as she felt all warm inside over someone being worried about her. “I can’t stay locked in a room waiting for you three to come and walk me everywhere, I need to let Jane see that she doesn’t scare me.”

     “Okay, but please be careful.” Sophie said still looking worried. “Jane is a real world class psycho that gets pleasure out of seeing others get hurt, and sadly you seem to be top of her list.” Sophie added as she gave Chloe a quick hug.

    Stacy and Jade also gave Chloe a hug before the three of them made their way to the swimming pool for their next lesson.

    Chloe stepped into the library and waited for the others to be well out of sight before she left the library again and made her way to the door that led up to the roof. Stacy had pointed it out to Chloe as they were making their way to their Geography class.

    Spirit had appeared and was helping to guide Chloe to the door without being caught by a teacher. Chloe let out a sigh as they reached the door and she was able to slip through it once Spirit had done something with the lock so Chloe could open the locked door.

     “I hope Heather shows up after all this.” Chloe whispered to Spirit as they made their way up a flight of stairs to another locked door, which Spirit soon had unlocked and open for Chloe to step through.

     “She’s already up here sis, I can feel her.” Spirit said as she led Chloe around a corner to the point she could feel the presence of Heather.

     Chloe could see the girl from the day before sat on the edge of the roof looking down at the ground below the minute she stepped around the corner. The girl looked over her shoulder, but didn’t look interested in either Chloe or Spirit. Chloe just thought she’d think that they couldn’t see her, so why should she be interested in them. She was soon turning around again though, when she heard Chloe call out her name.

     “Hello Heather, can I have a chat with you?” Chloe sounded nervous as she asked the question.

     “You can see me?” Heather asked looking confused. “Why can you see me, but no one else can?” She asked as she was suddenly stood right in front of Chloe.

     “I’m not like other people.” Chloe said looking shocked as she took a step back.

     “Yes, you feel different to all the others, and you feel very different again.” Heather said as she first looked at Chloe and then she turned to look at Spirit.

     “Chloe is a ghost whisperer and I’m an angel.” Spirit said. “You can touch both of us.” She added with a smile.

     “I can touch you?” Heather asked as she reached out very slowly until her pale fingers touched Chloe’s shoulder. Heather let out a gasp as her hand made contact with Chloe and it didn’t pass right through her. Chloe soon found herself being hugged by Heather as she sobbed happy tears on Chloe’s shoulder. “I’ve missed being able to do this so much.” Heather said with pain in her voice.

    Chloe did the first thing she could think of and she hugged Heather back, and smiled when she heard Heather let out a happy contented sigh.

     “I need to talk with you about the night you died.” Chloe said after she’d been hugging Heather for a couple of minutes.

     “You mean the night I was murdered.” Heather snarled as Chloe felt the air change around them. The air had taken on a sweet smell as Chloe hugged Heather, but now it had a bitter smell to it.

     “Calm down Heather.” Spirit said in a warning tone as she raised her hand and it started to glow.

     “I’m sorry.” Heather said looking worried of the glow coming from Spirit’s hand. “I just feel such anger when I hear people saying that I jumped to my death when I didn’t.” Heather started to sob again. “My parents think that I was depressed and killed myself, even though the police found no note, or reason for why I would.” She went on to explain through the sobs.

     “I need you to tell me what did happen, and I’ll do all I can to help people understand the truth.” Chloe said as she pulled Heather back into a hug while she sobbed.

    Once Heather had her crying under control, Chloe found a small wall they could sit on, and she sat down ready to let Heather tell her story of what happened to her.

     “Are you ready to tell us what happened?” Chloe asked.

     “Yes. It was a nice night, so I’d come up here to study for a test I had the next day.” Heather started to explain. “My roommate was playing her music a little too loud for me to focus, and it’s really nice up here in the evenings, and no one ever comes up here normally, so I thought.” Heather frowned.

     “Was Jane up here when you arrived?” Chloe asked.

     “No, it was just me to begin with, but I heard two girls coming up the stairs giggling, so I hid, hoping they wouldn’t see me, and I wouldn’t get in trouble. I was shocked when I saw it was Jane and another girl whose name I can’t remember.” Heather carried on telling her story. “They started making out and didn’t stop until they had both found happiness.” Heather added with a look that hoped Chloe and Spirit knew what she meant.

     “You mean that Jane is a lesbian?” Chloe whispered.

     “Not just a lesbian, I’ve seen her doing it with boys as well as girls, and she’s done it with more than one girl while I’ve been dead and able to watch her.” Heather said with a shudder as she remembered seeing Jane and other girls making love to each other.

     “So how did Jane making out with this other girl lead to you being pushed off the roof?” Chloe asked looking puzzled.

     “I waited for the two of them to go before I moved from my hiding place, but before I had time to get off the roof, Jane came back out onto the roof looking for something. She saw me and the look on my face, and she knew right away that I’d seen what she’d been doing.” Heather growled out, but calmed again when Spirit warned her. “Sorry.” Heather said as she took a couple of calming breaths she didn’t need to take, due to her being dead and not needing to breathe.

     “What happened next Chloe asked as she took hold of Heather’s hand and smiled at her.

     “I tried to run around her and get down the stairs, but she was much faster than I was, and a lot stronger.” Heather said as she thought of that night like it was just yesterday. “She threw me around and I lost my footing near the edge of the roof. I saw Jane running towards me, and I thought she was going to try and stop me falling over the edge, but she just pushed me over, and I remember falling, then I was back here on the roof.” Heather said as she started to sob again.

     “Did you realise you were dead to begin with?” Spirit asked as she sat on the other side of Heather to where Chloe was sat.

     “No I didn’t Heather giggled, but it didn’t sound like a happy giggle. “I saw some men walk up onto the roof and I tried talking to them, but they acted like they couldn’t see me, so I got angry and tried to slap one of them, but my hand went straight through his face.” Heather added looking shocked over the memory.

     “That was when you realised that you were dead?” Chloe asked as she gave Heather’s hand a little squeeze to let her know she was able to hold her.

     “Yes, that was when I put all the pieces together and worked out that I’d died when I fell.” Heather sighed.

     “And you’re sure that Jane pushed you off the roof, and she wasn’t trying to stop you falling?” Chloe asked, just to make sure she had it right.

     “Yes, she had her hands out and I could see her palms facing me.” Heather said looking serious.

     “Now we need to make her admit to pushing you off the roof.” Chloe frowned. “Can you point out the girl that was up here with her that night?” Chloe asked as she started to form an idea.

     “The girl never came back to school this term, and she wasn’t here for the last couple of months last term either.” Heather said looking thoughtful.

     “I bet Jane had something to do with that.” Chloe frowned again. “Blackmail or a bribe of some sort.” She added with a growl. Seems like the sort of thing Jane or her father would do.”

     “If you know Jane so well, then you also know that she will never admit to having anything to do with my death.” Heather pointed out. “I’m not sure she has a heart, she really is a bitch.”

     “My sister here can do some little tricks that may help us convince her to come clean.” Chloe grinned as she looked past Heather at Spirit.

     “What can you do that could possibly make Jane admit to pushing me off the roof because I found out she’s into girls as well as boys?” Heather asked as she looked at Spirit for an answer.

    Rather than trying to explain it to Heather, Spirit just clicked her fingers and she suddenly changed into a copy of Heather, even down to the ghostly pale skin.

     “I’m going to help you haunt her until she owns up to what she did.” Spirit said with a giggle, sounding just like Heather now as well as looking like her.

     “That is so cool.” Heather said with her mouth hanging open. “But won’t everyone else see you as me?”

     “I can choose which people I want to see me, well most the time I can.” Spirit added at the end with a nervous giggle.

     “Why do you say most the time sis?” Chloe asked with a frown.

     “Sammi warned me that some people’s brains are wired a little differently and they can see me when I’m doing this sort of thing.” Spirit tried to explain.

     “Is that why some people say they’ve seen ghosts around school?” Chloe asked.

     “Yes, mainly, but some ghosts are just that old that they have enough power to make it so people can see them. Some can even move objects if they focus enough, but it leaves them weak after doing that.” Spirit said as she clicked her fingers again and changed back to her normal look again.

     “I’ve been trying for months to move objects, and the most I can do is wake Jane at night when she’s trying to sleep.” Heather frowned.

     “Anger helps you move things, but you also start to lose who you are the more you do it.” Spirit warned.

     “You mean that I’d forget who I was, and just become evil?” Heather asked with worry in her voice.

     “Yes, and in the end you’d just lash out at anyone you crossed paths with.” Spirit said looking sad.

     “I don’t want to become like that, but how can I move on when everyone I’m leaving behind thinks I killed myself?” Heather asked as she broke down in sobs of tears again.

     “That’s why we’re here to help you Heather.” Chloe said as she pulled Heather into another hug. “We won’t stop until Jane’s admitted to what she did.” She promised.

     “Do you really mean that...? I just realised that I don’t know your name.” Heather said looking puzzled.

     “I’m Chloe and this is my sister Spirit.”

     “Thank you for helping me Chloe, Spirit.” Heather snuffled as she wiped her eyes. “What can I do to help?” Heather asked.

     “Not much, other than keep an eye on Jane for me and let me know if she’s planning something.” Chloe shrugged, as she hadn’t worked out much of a plan beyond talking with Heather at this point.

     “I’ll get started right now then.” Heather said looking excited as she suddenly vanished.

     “I better get back to the library before someone finds me up here, and I get in trouble.” Chloe said as she got to her feet and grabbed her book bag and laptop case.

     “I’ll go and make sure the coast is clear for you to leave.” Spirit said as she got read to vanish herself, but she stopped when she saw Heather return looking worried.

     “We have a problem already.” Heather warned. “Jane had someone watching you, and they told her about you coming up here, and she’s told Scottie, the two of them are heading down the hallway to the door at the bottom of the stairs.” Heather explained.

     “Crap...! I’ll be expelled for being up here.” Chloe said in a panic.

     “Calm down sis.” Spirit said as she touched Chloe’s shoulder and sent her some calming energy to help her. “Just go down the stairs and out into the hallway and remember to look confused, like you’re lost.” Spirit told her.

     “I’m not sure Miss Scott will buy that one sis.” Chloe frowned.

     “She will when you say that Tracy Morgan gave you directions that brought you up onto the roof.” Spirit grinned.

     “That lie will fall apart when Miss Scott goes to ask Tracy and she says she didn’t” Chloe pointed out the flaw in Spirit’s plan.

     “I’m sorry Miss Scott, but we were just playing a prank on Chloe, we had no idea she could get expelled for it.” Spirit said after clicking her fingers and turning into a copy of Tracy Morgan.

    Chloe slapped her hand over her mouth as she realised just how evil this little plan was, and she also knew that Stacy would get a kick out of seeing Tracy get in trouble with Jane.

     “I like the sounds of this plan.” Chloe grinned once she got her giggling under control.

     “You better get down stairs and out into the hallway before they end up on the roof with us.” Spirit warned just before she vanished.

     “Good luck Chloe.” Heather smiled just before she gave Chloe another hug. “Sorry about that, but it’s so good to be able to touch someone again.” Heather grinned just before she vanished again.

    Chloe took a couple of deep breaths, and then she made her way down the stairs and then took hold of the door handle and burst back out into the hallway doing her best confused and very lost look.

     “Miss Ashcroft...! What were you doing up on the roof...?” Jennifer’s voice boomed down the hallway from the other end where she was walking towards her with Jane at her side grinning like the cat that just ate the canary.

     “I’m sorry Miss Scott, but I got lost after asking directions, and I ended up on the roof.” Chloe said looking upset, or what she hoped was upset.

     “Who would give you such foolish directions?” Jennifer asked as she reached the spot where Chloe was stood.

     “I think her name was Tracy Morgan, Miss.” Chloe said as she looked at Jane to see her reaction.

    Jane looked confused and then she frowned as she tried to work out what Chloe was playing at. Jane’s look soon turned to one of smugness again when she thought about Tracy denying it.

     “We will need to go and find Tracy Morgan and find out.” Jennifer said in a way that let Chloe know she’d been subject of a prank, but she couldn’t do anything about it without showing favouritism. “I just need to call Mrs Sapphire and find out what Class Tracy is in.” Jennifer added as she got a cell phone out her pocket.

     “I can show you the way to Tracy’s class Miss Scott.” Jane said looking even smugger with herself. “Tracy and I are in the same class together.” She added trying to look helpful.

     “Thank you Jane, but it doesn’t look like you need to.” Jennifer said as she pointed up the hallway at Tracy Morgan, who was making her way towards them at a fast walk looking worried.

     “What are you doing here Tracy?” Jane asked in a snarl.

     “I’m sorry Jane, but I can’t let Chloe get expelled for a prank that we played on her.” Tracy said looking concerned with Chloe getting in trouble.

     “Is this true Jane?” Jennifer asked as she turned her anger on Jane now. “Is this how you knew Chloe would be up on the roof? Because you two planned to get her in trouble and expelled...!” Jennifer snapped at the two girls.

     “I... I... I don’t know what she’s talking about.” Jane finally got out. “What are you talking about you crazy little bitch?” Jane snarled as she went to grab Tracy’s arm, but she missed when Tracy moved out the way like she already knew what Jane was planning to do.

     “Tracy? Please go back to your classroom and I will let you off with a warning because you were good enough to come and admit that Chloe was just a victim of a prank.” Jennifer said as she dismissed Tracy. “You young lady can come with me to the office, so I can put you on report and also place you on litter duty at lunchtime.” Jennifer added with a smile.

     “Litter duty...!” Jane said looking shocked. “I’ve never been placed on litter duty before. I won’t do it.” Jane added as she folded her arms across her chest trying to look defiant.

     “Fine, I’ll just call your father and tell him that I’m suspending you for the next four weeks then.” Jennifer said with a look that said she was calling Jane’s bluff.

    Jane soon caved and was begging Jennifer not to suspend her. “Please don’t call my father, Miss Scott.”

     “Do you except your punishment then?” Jennifer asked looking smug.

     “Yes Miss Scott.” Jane said as her shoulders slumped and she looked defeated.

     “Very good, you can come with me now and make a start.” Jennifer said as she spun on her heels and started walking back down the hallway with Jane following close behind. “Please find your way to the library Ms Ashcroft as quick as you can.” Jennifer shouted back over her shoulder.

     “Yes Miss Scott.” Chloe shouted back as she smiled over the fact she’d just got Jane in trouble. Chloe stuck her tongue out at Jane when she saw Jane starring daggers at her.

    Jane’s look changed just then and Chloe couldn’t work out why until she heard Spirit telling her not to turn and look in her direction. Jane looked so freaked out that she forgot to turn the corner with Jennifer and she walked right into the wall and ended up sat on the floor in the hallway. Jane was soon back on her feet and running out of sight like the devil was after her.

    Chloe finally felt safe to turn and look at Spirit, and she soon realised why Jane had looked so freaked out. Sprit was the spitting image of Heather again.

     “I see you’ve already started the haunting then?” Chloe asked in a whisper after looking around to make sure they were alone in the hallway.

     “I just wanted to see the look on her face when she saw the ghost of Heather.” Spirit giggled. “I had no idea she’d walk right into that wall though.” Spirit added as she held onto her sides due to them aching from laughing so much. Even though she was laughing still, Spirit clicked her fingers and changed back to her normal self.

    Chloe saw Heather take form in front of her, and she too was laughing at the fact Spirit had managed to make Jane walk into the wall, but Heather was also impressed with the fact they had got Jane punished for something she didn’t do, and she was now on litter picking duty.

     “That was priceless.” Heather said as she threw her arms around Chloe, but looked puzzled when Chloe didn’t hug her back.

     “I’m sorry Heather, but I can’t hug you back out here just in case someone comes around the corner and they see me hugging thin air.” Chloe whispered.

     “Oh... I understand.” Heather said as she broke the hug and straightened up her uniform again. “I’ll go and keep an eye on Jane for you then.” Heather said looking eager to start her new job. “Watching the queen bitch on litter duty is almost worth dying for.” Heather added with a grin just before she vanished.

     “That girl really needs to get a life.” Chloe said more to herself than Spirit.

     “Was that meant to be funny sis?” Spirit frowned.

     “What...?” Chloe asked looking puzzled, not understanding what she’d just said.

     “You just said that Heather needs to get a life, and I don’t find it very funny.” Spirit said sounding a little angry.

     “Oh, I’m sorry, I wasn’t thinking.” Chloe said looking shocked. “I didn’t mean it like that sis. I just...” Chloe trailed off and just let out a sigh.

     “I think I know what you mean.” Spirit smiled, all anger gone from her face. “Just be careful what you say around ghosts, they don’t have a sense of humour, well not about being dead anyway.”

     “It was nice to see Heather laughing though just now.” Chloe giggled as she picked up her bags and started walked towards the library.

     “I’m sure she’ll laugh a lot more by the time we get Jane to admit what she did to her.” Spirit grinned. She was going to have some fun with Jane.

     “I hope we can get her to admit to it, but I must agree with Heather and the fact that Jane doesn’t seem to have much of a heart, so I doubt she has much of a conscience either.” Chloe pointed out.

     “We’ll just have to convince her that telling the truth is the only way to stop Heather from haunting her then.” Spirit looked smug as she said it.

     “Are you meant to be having this much fun?” Chloe asked, but she was grinning as well at the thought of having some fun with Jane while they made her admit to pushing Heather off the roof.

     “I use to have someone just like Jane in my old school, and she use to make my life a living hell, so it feels good to be getting some payback for all the other kids Jane has tortured over the years.” Spirit said sounding proud of what she had to do. “I bet she’s made a large number of the students here look foolish at one time or another, so it will be nice to see her become the butt end of some payback.” Spirit added with an evil grin.

     “I’d be happy with seeing Jane pay for what she did to Heather.” Chloe admitted. “But it will be fun to see her picking litter at lunchtime.” Chloe added with a grin.

    Chloe finally made it back to the library, and she slipped inside and saw Susan sat at the same table she’d been sat at the day before. Not wanting to look pushy, Chloe sat at another table and got out her physics book so she could read up on the class she had first after lunch. Spirit had vanished off someplace to give Chloe some peace while she studied.

     “Do you mind if I join you?” Chloe heard a girl’s voice ask. She looked up to find Susan stood on the other side of the table smiling at her as she pointed to the chair.

     “I thought you said you didn’t want to be friends with me because I’ve got Jane Bridgeport gunning for me?” Chloe asked looking puzzled.

     “I’m sorry about that; I was just having a bad day yesterday.” Susan said as she pulled out the chair and sat down, even thought Chloe hadn’t said she could join her yet.

     “So does this mean you do want to be friends?” Chloe asked, not sure where she stood with this girl.

     “I thought we could start by getting to know each other a little better, and then we can see where it goes from there.” Susan smiled.

     “Okay, sounds good to me.” Chloe smiled back. “My friend Stacy said she tried to make friends with you last term, but you were rude to her.” Chloe added with a frown.

     “I’m sorry about that, but I had my reasons.” Susan said being vague. “Do you know about Stacy’s sister once being her brother?” Susan asked in a whisper as she looked around to make sure no one was listening in on their chat.

     “Yes I do, and I’ve met Stacy’s sister as well.” Chloe grinned. “She’s just like a big sister to me, and she’s really pretty as well.” Chloe added sounding jealous.

     “You’ve met her, and it doesn’t bother you that she was once Stacy’s brother?” Susan asked with shock in her voice.

     “No, why should it?” Chloe frowned. “Is that why you were rude to Stacy, because you don’t like her sister?” Chloe asked with anger in her voice now. “I don’t think I do want to talk to you, never mind us being friends.” Chloe added as she went to stand up so she could move to another table. “I don’t know how you can dislike someone you’ve never met though.” Chloe added just before she walked away. Susan was left with her mouth hanging open over the way Chloe had just stood up for Stacy and her sister.

     “Don’t you think you were a little tough on her just now sis.” Spirit said as she appeared sat on the table next to where Chloe had seated herself.

    Spirit took the look Chloe gave her to mean Susan was asking for it.

     “Okay, Okay, I get the message.” Spirit said as she raised her hands as a sign of surrender. “I just think she might have been testing the waters as to how you feel about Transgendered people more than her not liking Stephi.” Spirit pointed out.

    Chloe suddenly whipped her head up to look Spirit in the eyes, and the look Chloe had in her eyes said that she now thought she might have done something wrong.

     “Don’t look so worried sister; this could work to your advantage.” Spirit said with a wave of her hand that said she wasn’t worried about Chloe’s mistake.

    Chloe now looked at Spirit with a look of total confusion as she waited for Spirit to explain herself.

    Spirit rolled her eyes before letting out a sigh and then explaining her reasons. “Susan now knows that you’re not bothered about Stephanie once being Stacy’s brother, so this may help her to trust you as a friend.” Spirit said in a way that made it sound like Chloe should have already realised this.

    Chloe looked to be deep in thought for a couple of seconds before she started to nod her head in agreement with what Spirit had said.

     “I better vanish because she’s coming over to speak with you.” Spirit said as she saw Susan looking in Chloe’s direction as she got up out her seat.

    Chloe pretended to not notice Susan until she was stood right next to her. Chloe did look up when Susan pulled out the chair and sat down at Chloe’s side.

     “I’m sorry Chloe, but you misunderstood me.” Susan said with pleading in her voice for Chloe to believe her. “It’s all very complicated, but I don’t hate Stacy or her sister, I just can’t say anything as to my reason for asking you those questions just now.” Susan added in a mumble as she looked down at her lap rather than look Chloe in the eyes.

    Chloe already knew Susan’s reason for asking her the question now that Spirit had pointed it out. Chloe knew she was just worked up over all the trouble with Jane, and what she know knew Jane had done to Heather, and Susan was worried about people finding out that she was once a boy, or she was living as a boy until she found out she was intersexed. Chloe found herself wondering how Susan found out she was really a girl.

     “I’d really like to try being friends...” Susan said when she saw that Chloe wasn’t going to speak to her.

     “You’d have to be friends with Stacy, Jade and Sophie as well.” Chloe said as she snapped out of her thoughts and looked Susan in the eyes.

    Susan looked worried when Chloe said Sophie’s name. “I’m not sure I want to be around Sophie, She’s as much of a bitch as Jane can be.” Susan added sounding nervous.

     “She’s not like that anymore.” Chloe promised. “Join us for lunch and see for yourself.”

     “I’m not sure about that.” Susan said sounding unsure.

     “If you don’t join us, you will never know.” Chloe pointed out with a grin.

    Susan found herself grinning in return, there was just something about Chloe that she liked, but she couldn’t put her finger on it. “Okay, I’ll join you for lunch and see if they want me to hang around with them.” Susan said after taking a deep breath.

     “You will have to do one little thing for me though when we join Stacy and the others.” Chloe said looking nervous this time.

     “If you were going to ask me to apologise to Stacy, I was already planning to do that anyway.” Susan smiled.

     “That’s that settled then.” Chloe smiled.

    The two of them were soon sat studying for their afternoon classes. Chloe wanted to talk to Susan more, but the Librarian had already shushed them, so Chloe knew she’d have to wait until they were walking to the dining hall.

*****

    As soon as the clock hit twelve midday, Chloe and Susan put there text books away and then left the library so they could meet up with Stacy, Sophie and Jade in the dining room.

     “Are you sure they won’t mind me joining them?” Susan asked sounding nervous again as they made their way down the hallway towards the dining room.

     “They’ll be fine with you joining us, now stop worrying about it.” Chloe smiled, but her smile soon faded when she noticed a large number of students looking at her oddly.

     “Why is there so many people looking at the two of us?” Susan asked in a whisper.

     “I think their looking at me.” Chloe replied nervously. “I had another run in with Jane earlier, and she ended up on littler picking duty.”

     “You managed to get Jane on litter duty...?” Susan asked looking shocked.

     “Why do you make it sound like such a big deal?” Chloe frowned. “I’m sure she’s always getting told off and punished for the things she’s done wrong.

     “You’d think so, but Jane normally has others to take the fall for her, so you getting her put on litter duty is a really big thing.” Susan explained.

     “I didn’t plan any of it, she just tried to get me in trouble, but a girl called Tracy admitted to giving me bad directions, so I ended up on the roof.” Chloe said, telling a white lie.

     “Tracy Morgan?” Susan asked looking puzzled.

     “Yes, she came running down the hallway and admitted to what she’d done.” Chloe said, but left out the part about the Tracy she was talking about was actually Spirit pretending to be Tracy.

     “I wouldn’t want to be in Tracy’s shoes then when Jane gets done with her punishment.” Susan said with a shudder.

     “Are you sure you want to be seen with me then, now you know about this latest bit of trouble with Jane?” Chloe giggled nervously. “I have a feeling that if it is like you just said, then she’ll be coming after me worse than ever.”

     “I’ve tried keeping my head down, and she still found me yesterday and caused me some trouble, so I realised that keeping to myself isn’t going to stop her, so I might as well make some friends, and you do seem to be able to hold your own against her.” Susan grinned.

     “I was a bit of a tomboy before I came here, so I’m use to dealing with worse than anything Jane can throw at me.” Chloe shrugged in the hopes of making it look like she hadn’t always been a girlie girl like she was now. Chloe also thought it would cover for any slips she might make while with Susan.

     “I was always a bit of a tomboy before coming here as well.” Susan giggled.

    Chloe was glad Susan had taken the bait and said she’d been a tomboy as well. Chloe wanted to help Susan relax and just be herself around her and the others when they met up in the dining hall.

     “Did your mum finally talk you into becoming more ladylike?” Chloe asked jokingly, even though she already knew that it was Just Susan and her father. Chloe didn’t want Susan to know she knew too much about her.

     “No, it’s just me and my dad these days.” Susan sighed sadly. “My mum ran off with another man when I was young, I don’t even remember what she looks like, and my dad doesn’t have any photos of her.” She added with another sigh.

    Chloe found herself feeling sorry for Susan. She had Valarie and Ashley to help her become the best woman she could, but Susan had no one other than her father, and Chloe doubted that he’d be much help when it came to helping your intersexed daughter come to grips with what lay ahead.

     “Did you know that my father teachers here at the school?” Susan asked snapping Chloe out of her thoughts. “That’s the only reason I can afford to come here in the first place.”

     “I seem to remember Stacy telling me something about your father being a teacher here, but I’ve been trying to take so much in over the past couple of days, that my mind is a little foggy on most of what I’ve been told.” Chloe giggled.

     “I know what you mean.” Susan agreed. “This place is so different to any other school I’ve ever been to, but they have the best pass rate. That’s why my father jumped at the chance to teach here, so I could benefit from it as well.” Susan added with pride for her father.

     “May I ask what it is your father teachers?” Chloe asked.

     “He’s a music teacher.”

     “I’ve not had music yet, but I think I have it this afternoon.” Chloe said as she went in her book bag and pulled out her timetable. “Yes, I have him this afternoon.” Chloe smiled as she showed Susan her timetable.

     “Yes, we both have music this afternoon.” Susan giggled. “We’re in the same homeroom remember?”

     “Oh right, I’d forgotten about that.” Chloe blushed.

    The two of them finally made it to the dining hall, and Chloe was glad to see that Stacy, Sophie and Jade were already seated at a table with their lunches. She and Susan got in line to get their lunch so they could join them. Chloe could tell by the look on Stacy’s face that she had already heard about the trouble with Jane, and Stacy looked eager to find out all the details.

*****

 

To Be Continued Next Tuesday  GRIN

 

Story by SaraUK

 

Edited and Posted by SamanthaK

    EDITORS NOTE: Please Comment and/or leave Kudos and let Sara know you like her work please, Any comments on spelling, grammar or the layout of the story please PM me “Samanthak” not Sara. Thank you

up
189 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I am really enjoying this story

even though I generally don't go for the 'supernatural' kind of stories. (I enjoyed the Harry Potter series, despite this same objection.)

I frequently switch between thinking of myself as a skeptic, an agnostic, an atheist or even occasionally an anti-theist.

But I have to say that I would rather live in a universe like the one in this story than in the 'god-free' universe I actually inhabit.

T

This brings nastiness to a whole new level

Sadly Jane is young enough that she may not get the sentence she deserves. I can see how they can have a lot of fun making Jane's life a misery though :)

Another casualty will be her father's reputation.

Kim

Who was the other girl with Jane

? How will her father react when he finds out about her, if he does not already know? Will the faculty keep on siding against her?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine