A Ghost Of A Chance. Book 2. Chapter 18

Printer-friendly version


 © June 2013


Part Eighteen of 19+


Chapter Eighteen: Someone’s in Trouble

    “Can I go and say good morning to Shadow? Please...!” Chloe pleaded with her aunt on the Wednesday morning when they got to Stacy’s house.

     “Yes if it will stop you giving me those puppy dog eyes.” Ashley sighed.

    Chloe started grinning as she jumped out the car and ran off to find her horse and feed him some mints before she was forced back into the car so her aunty could take her and Stacy to school.

    Shadows stable was empty when she got to it, so she gathered he must be up in the field, so she ran up to the fence, and she could see him running around. Chloe called to him, but he just looked over in Chloe’s direction and made a huffing sound just before he started running around again.

     “What’s wrong boy?” Chloe asked with some hurt in her voice.

     “He’s just being grumpy because you’ve not been riding him.” Spirit said as she appeared at Chloe’s side.

     “He was the one that got me caught in the first place.” Chloe argued.

     “True, but you were the one that ran away.” Spirit pointed out.

     “I know that.” Chloe sounded sad about what she had done, and the fact she wasn’t able to go riding on Shadow at the minute. “Can you talk him into coming over here?” Chloe asked in a pleading tone as she looked at Spirit.

     “I can’t force Shadow to do anything, just give him some time and he’ll be your friend again.” Spirit promised.

     “I’ll leave these here then.” Chloe said as she lined up the mints on the top of the fence, so Shadow could come and eat them when he was ready to. “I better get back to the car if Shadow won’t come and see me.” Chloe added as she turned and walked back through the stables and out to her aunts car.

     “How was Shadow today?” Ashley asked when she saw Chloe making her way over to the car. Ashley was stood at Stacy’s front door talking to Dorothy while they waited for Stacy to finish getting ready.

     “He’s angry with me for getting grounded.” Chloe grumbled as she walked over and got in the car.

     “I’ve never seen anyone bond with a horse like Chloe has with Shadow.” Dorothy admitted as she watched a sad looking Chloe getting in the back of Ashley’s car. “It’s like they understand each other.” Dorothy added, hoping she didn’t sound crazy.

     “Maybe they do.” Ashley shrugged, She already knew that they did understand each other, and Chloe had a special friend that helped the two of them talk to each other.

    Stacy was soon running past them to join Chloe in the back of Ashley’s car so she could take the two girls to school.

     “Hey Chloe...!” Stacy squealed as she got in the back of the car.

     “Hi Stace.” Chloe said with a forced smile.

     “What’s wrong...?” Stacy asked, sensing that something was bothering her best friend.

     “I went up to see Shadow, but he wouldn’t come over to me.” Chloe sighed. “Do you think he’s gone off me already?” Chloe asked with tears in her eyes. She quickly wiped them away thinking they made her look weak, and Chloe didn’t want to look weak.

     “Take no notice of Shadow’s mood; he’s just grumpy because he’s not been out for a ride with you in a couple of days.” Stacy said as she waved off Chloe’s worries.

     “How’s he going to feel after not being ridden for a week?” Chloe asked nervously.

     “I’ll take him out a couple of times before then to keep him happy.” Stacy promised.

     “Now you’re just trying to make me jealous.” Chloe pouted.

     “Is it working...?” Stacy asked with a grin.

     “Yes...” Chloe said as she gave Stacy a slap on the arm, but she was trying not to giggle at the same time. “You’re not helping my mood girlfriend.” Chloe added as she giggled.

     “Yes it is, you’re laughing.” Stacy pointed out as she tried to defend herself from Chloe’s playful attack.

    Ashley joined them in the car and both girls put their seatbelts on before Ashley pulled out of the driveway and made her way to the school.

*****

     “Is everything alright Chloe?” Susan asked later in the morning while she and Chloe were sat in the library while the others had their sports lesson.

     “I’m fine.” Chloe lied as she gave Susan her best fake smile. Susan just looked at Chloe with her head tilted to one side as though she was letting Chloe know she didn’t believe her. “Okay, Shadow’s upset with me for getting grounded.” Chloe sighed.

     “You make it sound like he can actually understand you, and he knows that you’ve been grounded.” Susan giggled.

     “He’s a lot smarter than you give him credit for.” Chloe argued.

     “Well I’m sure he will forgive you after a couple of mints and an apple or two.” Susan tried to reassure her friend.

     “I hope he’s not mad with me until I can ride him again.” Chloe sounded worried as she thought about Shadow being angry with her until next Monday.

    Chloe was just about to speak again, but she was distracted by the ghost of Mary, the maid she’d seen the week before, here in the library. Mary was waving for Chloe to come over to her, and Chloe thought she looked eager to tell Chloe something important.

     “What you looking at?” Susan asked as she looked in the direction Chloe seemed to be interested in.

     “I was just thinking I need to look for a book on something.” Chloe blurted out as she got up from the table and made her way over to where Mary was stood.

     “Do you need some help to find it?” Susan asked in a loud whisper.

     “I’ll be fine, please carry on reading your book.” Chloe whispered back just before she vanished around a book stack where Mary was waiting for her. “What’s wrong Mary?” Chloe asked in a whisper trying not to let Susan hear her talking to someone.

     “I can sense the children in the school someplace, and I’m worried that they may end up causing some trouble.” Mary explained.

     “What kind of trouble?” Chloe asked nervously. Chloe wasn’t sure what the spirits of two dead children could do, but she had a feeling it wouldn’t be good.

     “I don’t understand how they can do it, but the children are able to gain control of the living when they are of a certain mind.” Mary tried to explain.

     “You mean they can possess people...?” Chloe asked a little too loud and then had to slap her own hand over her mouth. Chloe just hoped it didn’t bring Susan running to find out what was wrong.

    Thinking fast, Chloe pulled her cell phone out her pocket and put it up to her ear, so if Susan did come looking, she would just think Chloe had sneaked off to use her phone. It was a good job Chloe did, because Susan poked her head around the corner and smiled when she saw Chloe with the phone to her ear. Susan vanished again and Chloe turned to carry on talking to Mary.

     “Yes I think that is what your angel called it when we spoke.” Mary said in answer to Chloe’s question before Susan poked her head around the corner.

     “Do you know where they are in the school?” Chloe asked as she tried to work out how she was going to get out of the library to find the two children, or the students they were possessing.

     “I’m sorry, but I do not know such things.” Mary said apologetically. “Can your angel friend not help you locate them?” Mary asked.

     ‘Spirit...! Spirit...! I hope you can hear me because I could really use some help right now...!’ Chloe screamed in her mind.

    Chloe was just about to try calling Samantha’s name when she felt Spirit close by just before she saw Spirit appear next to her.

     “What’s wrong sis?” Spirit asked as she looked around expecting some kind of trouble. “Hello Mary.” Spirit added with a smile when she saw the ghosted image of the maid.

     “Hello Miss Spirit.” Mary replied with a smile.

     “Please just call me Spirit.” She smiled back.

     “Mary was just telling me that the children are in the school and she thinks they will try to take over some of the student’s bodies.” Chloe explained. “Can you help me track them down?” Chloe asked.

     “I can’t sense them because their bodies have never been laid to rest.” Spirit sounded frustrated with that fact.

     “So what do you expect me to do about them...?” Chloe asked as she threw her arms up in the air.

     “If this works like Sammi said, they should come to find you at some point.” Spirit grinned.

     “And why would they do something like that...?” Chloe looked even more worried now.

     “The energy you’re giving off will draw them to you.” Spirit explained in a matter of fact way like it wasn’t a big deal.

     “If that’s the case, then why don’t I attract more ghosts?” Chloe asked with a puzzled look.

     “Most ghosts know to fear that feeling, but to these two children, it will be like a magnet, or that’s what we hope.” Spirit explained. “And I’ve been masking you from all but the ghosts we’ve had to deal with.” Spirit added.

     “And what about now, are you still shielding me?” Chloe asked.

     “No, I’ve dropped the shield so the children can come and find you.” Spirit grinned like she was excited about the plan.

    Chloe didn’t look as excited about the plan as Spirit did though. “And just what do we do when the children appear?” Chloe asked, hoping that Spirit might fill her in on the plan.

     “We talk to them and find out where they died, so we can help them find peace.” Spirit smiled like it was a perfect plan.

    Chloe didn’t look as confident with it as Spirit did. Chloe could see a large margin for error, and she would be left looking like the school weirdo if anyone found out about any of it. Chloe let out a sigh after she couldn’t think of a better plan. “Alright, but you better be ready to jump in and save the day if anything goes wrong.” Chloe warned Spirit.

     “I’m always ready to jump in and save the day sis.” Spirit grinned back as she placed her hands on her hips like a super hero. “You better get back to Susan, she’s about to come looking for you.” Spirit warned just before she vanished again.

    Mary floated backwards through a pile of books, which left Chloe stood on her own just before Susan walked around the corner just as Chloe was placing her phone back in her blazer pocket.

     “Is everything alright Chloe?” Susan whispered, so as not to get either of them in trouble for talking while in the library.

     “Yes, fine.” Chloe smiled back. “I was just trying to talk my mum into letting me ride shadow before my punishment was up.” Chloe lied.

     “Any luck...?” Susan looked hopeful.

     “No, she says I need to learn an important lesson.” Chloe sighed as she rolled her eyes. Chloe already knew that Valarie would say those very words if she had called her to beg her mother to let her ride Shadow before Monday.

    Chloe returned to the table where she and Susan had been seated, and the two of them carried on reading. Susan was still reading one of Chloe’s mother’s books, and Chloe was reading up on one of her school subjects and using the real Chloe’s memories to help her with the subject. Chloe kept nervously looking over towards the entrance to the library every time someone walked in, she was expecting it to be a possessed student looking for her, and Chloe had no idea how she’d explain that one to Susan.

    The rest of the lesson went without incident which Chloe was glad about, and the two of them packed away their things and left the library to go meet up with the others outside the dining room for lunch.

    Chloe was half way to the dining room when she sensed she was being watched, and it wasn’t like the normal feeling someone had when they were just being paranoid. Chloe looked around, but all she saw where other students and a couple of teachers walking around. Chloe couldn’t see anyone looking at her, she did notice Tracy looking in her direction, but Tracy had a problem with Chloe over getting kicked out of Jane’s little group. Chloe thought Tracy would be grateful she got her kicked out after what happened to Jane, but Tracy wasn’t that bright.

     “Don’t let Tracy worry you Chloe.” Susan said, snapping Chloe out of her thoughts. “She’s not dumb enough to try anything while I’m around.” Susan added with a grin.

     “I wouldn’t be so sure about that.” Chloe frowned as she thought about some of the other dumb things Tracy had tried in the past week.

     “You do have a point, but she won’t get close enough to hurt you.” Susan frowned as she made a fist and punched it into the palm of her other hand.

     “Please don’t go getting yourself in trouble because of me.” Chloe pleaded with Susan.

     “You’re my friend Chloe, so if someone wants to mess with you, they mess with me.” Susan said looking deadly serious.

    Chloe found it odd to have friend’s full stop, but to have friends that were willing to get in trouble for her, Chloe felt a warmth deep down over that fact. “Thanks Suzy.” Chloe smiled as she blushed over the lengths her friend were willing to go to.

     “No problemo; now let’s get to the dining room, I’m starving.” Susan whined.

     “You’re always starving.” Chloe giggled.

     “Hey...!” Susan complained, but she was already pulling Chloe along with her as they made their way to the dining hall.

    Chloe still had the feeling she was being watched, and she could see that Tracy and one of the other girls she hung around with were following her, or they were just heading to the dining room like most of the other students were, Chloe couldn’t be sure anyone was actually following her because of where they were heading themselves.

    They met up with Stacy, Jade and Sophie just outside the dining room and they all entered and joined the lunch line with the other students. Chloe had lost track of Tracy as it didn’t look like she’d entered the dining room, which Chloe was glad about, because she was a little too distracted at the minute to be worried about some hair brained scheme Tracy might be cooking up to get her revenge.

    Chloe smiled when she saw Finlay waving to her from the far corner of the dining room where he and Paul had grabbed a large enough table to seat them all.

     “Hi Chloe, how was your morning?” Finlay asked with a smile when Chloe got to the table and placed her tray down on it before she took her seat.

     “Hi Fin.” Chloe smiled back, glad to see him. Chloe always felt safe when she was with Finlay. “It was very uneventful.” Chloe said in answer to Finlay’s question about her morning.

     “Why do you always make it sound like you’re normally doing battle with the forces of evil?” Finlay laughed.

     “How do you know that I’m not normally protecting the world from some form of evil?” Chloe asked in a teasing tone.

     “The thought of you doing battle with anything other than that horse of yours is laughable.” Finlay joked.

    A small part of Chloe wanted to prove Finlay wrong, but she also liked the fact that Finlay and the others saw her as some sweet little thing that needs protecting, so she just let Finlay wrap an arm around her while she made a start on her lunch.

    Chloe was happy to sit with Finlay sat next to her stealing food off her plate while they all talked about normal things kids talked about. Chloe felt like a normal teenage girl, even though she wasn’t one. They all finished their lunches and then they took their trays over to the counter where the cleaning staff were clearing them all away and getting them washed ready for evening meals.

     “I need the little girl’s room.” Chloe said as they left the dining room.

    None of the others needed to go, but they all waited out in the hallway while Chloe went in to answer the call of nature. Chloe quickly took care of business and then washed her hands. It was while she was washing her hands that she felt the same presents she felt earlier. Chloe looked in the mirror and she saw that Tracy had been in the stall next to the one she just used, and she was now looking at Chloe through a crack in the door.

     “I don’t want any trouble Tracy.” Chloe said with a sigh. “Go and find someone else to bug. Stacy and the others are just out in the hallway, and they will all come running if I shout for them.” Chloe warned.

    Tracy never answered Chloe, which Chloe found a little odd for Tracy, because she always had something to say. Chloe then noticed that one of Tracy’s sidekicks was also in the stall with her and the two of them stepped out and walked over to where Chloe was now stood facing them with wet hands.

     “Why do you feel different to the others here...?” Tracy asked as she reached out with her hand, but seemed nervous about touching Chloe for some reason.

     “She feels nice and warm.” Tracy’s friend said as she also went to touch Chloe but stopped herself. Chloe thought it was like they were both worried about getting burnt or an electric shock.

     “Okay, now you’re freaking me out.” Chloe said as she stepped back as she wiped her hands on her skirt, not being able to get to the towels because Tracy and her friends were blocking the path.

     “Maybe she can help us...” Tracy’s friend said as she looked at Tracy with hope in her eyes.

     “Yes, maybe she can.” Tracy sounded excited. “Can you help us...?” Tracy asked as she looked at Chloe.

     “Help you with what?” Chloe asked as she backed into the wall and tried to climb up it as Tracy got closer to Chloe until their noses were almost touching. Chloe looked deep into Tracy’s eyes, and she saw something different in them, like she was talking to another person.

     “Help us get away from the bad man, and find our mummy.” Tracy said, but she sounded like a much younger girl as she said it.

    Chloe suddenly realised what was wrong with Tracy and her friend. They were both being possessed by the spirits of the two children Mary had told her about. The thing that puzzled Chloe was the talk of them being chased by a man, and the fact that out of everyone in the school, they had to choose Tracy.

     “I’ll do what I can to help you, but I need to call a friend to help me help you.” Chloe tried to explain to them as she called out for Spirit in her head. Chloe felt a little relief when she felt Spirit’s presents just before she saw Spirit appear.

     “Get back...!” Tracy shouted as she jumped between her friend and Spirit like she was protecting her.

     “This is my special friend, her name is Spirit.” Chloe said in a calming tone as she tried to stop Tracy and the other girl from panicking.

     “You found them...?” Spirit asked with shock in her voice.

     “Well they kind of found me, but I wish they’d chosen another couple of bodies to possess.” Chloe frowned.

     “True, but they might have thought you and Tracy were close for another reason.” Spirit shrugged.

     “Will Tracy and her friend remember any of this?” Chloe asked as she realised that Tracy could now have something to use against her if she would remember her calling Spirit and being able to talk to the dead.

     “I doubt it, but I’ll get Sammi to help me wipe this part of their memory if they do.” Spirit promised.

     “So what do we do now?” Chloe asked as she looked at Spirit.

     “We need to find out where their bodies are, and then you need to inform the police so they can find them.” Sprit explained.

     “Do you remember where you died?” Chloe asked Tracy and her friend. Chloe wanted to scream at Spirit about how dumb an idea it is for her to suddenly know where two missing children’s bodies are after only being at the school for a couple of weeks, but she just wanted to get the children out of Tracy and her friends body for now.

     “We can take you there now.” Tracy said as she went to leave the restroom.

     “No, stop...!” Chloe said as she blocked their path. “I can’t let Stacy and the others see me walk out of here with Tracy.” Chloe sounded worried as she looked at Spirit for some help.

     “I’ve got an idea.” Spirit grinned as she clicked her fingers together and she morphed into a copy of Chloe. “I’ll lead them away so you can get out of here and go to the place where their bodies are hidden, and I’ll join you as soon as I can.” Spirit explained her plan.

    Chloe wanted to argue that it was a bad plan, but Spirit now looking like Chloe had already ran out of the toilets. Chloe made Tracy and her friend wait a couple of minutes before the three of them left the toilets and made their way down a hallway and then through a door that led down to the basement. Chloe had looked out before they left the toilet, and she saw herself and the others disappearing around a corner at the other end of the hallway.

     “Why do they always have to be buried in a basement...?” Chloe asked as they made their way through the damp dark rooms that ran beneath the school.

     “This is where the bad man brought us and tied us up.” Tracy said with fear in her voice.

    Chloe watched as Tracy stepped up to a wall and then she pushed a brick down in a corner and there was a click. Tracy then pushed on the wall and it opened like a door. Chloe now realised why no one had ever been able to find the children when they went missing.

    Tracy led the way down a narrow hallway to a heavy wooden door at the other end. Tracy pushed the door open and Chloe let out a gasp when she saw the skeletal remains of two small children tied up in one corner. Chloe stepped over to the remains and wanted to hug them both.

     “Did he just leave you down here to die?” Chloe asked as she turned to face Tracy with tears in her eyes.

     “Yes, but he died first.” Tracy said as she pointed to a pile of bones in another corner.

    Chloe looked at the bones a little more closely and she realised that the remains were of a man, and it looked like he died of a heart attack or something like that from the look of pain on his face, and the way he was clutching his chest with one hand. He must have died and then the two children had starved to death while being stuck in a room with the man that took them.

     “Are you telling me that he’s still after you, even in death?” Chloe asked with anger in her voice. “Can he also possess people like the two of you?” Chloe sounded worried for all the other children in the school.

     “Yes he still tries to catch us, but he can’t enter bodies like we can, that is why we hide in them.” Tracy explained. “He can’t see us when we hide like this.” Tracy added in a whisper like she was letting Chloe in on a big secret.

    Chloe was just about to say something when she felt a presents coming toward her, and it didn’t feel like Spirit; this feeling reminded her of when she faced James’ stepfather.

     “Stay behind me.” Chloe warned. “I think he’s found us.” Chloe added as she put herself between Tracy and the other girl, and the thing that was making its way towards the room they were now stood in.

    Chloe felt a cold chill run down her spine as she saw a snivelling little weasel of a man float through the part open door. “I’ve caught you at last, and you’ve brought me some fresh meat to torment as well.” The man said as he rubbed his hands together while he laughed.

     “You can leave these poor children alone you monster...!” Chloe growled as she tried to sound braver than she felt.

     “Why would I want to chase them when I have you...?” The man asked as he floated a little closer to Chloe. “You feel so wonderful. I just want to gobble you up.” He added as he reached out to touch Chloe.

     “You will not live to regret it if you lay one finger on me.” Chloe warned the ghostly figure.

     “I’m already dead child, what more can be done to me?” He asked as he tried to push his hand into Chloe’s chest, but it bounced off Chloe’s chest, but the force did make Chloe step back as he knocked the wind out of her.

     “Brut...! I need you...!” Chloe screamed once she had her breath back.

     “Brut...? Is that your pet dog?” The man asked in a voice heavy with sarcasm.

     “No, Brut is the name of my Grim reaper friend, and he’s stood right behind you now.” Chloe smiled.

    The man didn’t believe Chloe, but he still turned to look anyway, and he got a shock when he saw the large figure stood there looking down at him. The man tried to make a run for it, but Brute was too quick for him and the man was soon being held by the top of his head.

     “You don’t belong in this place any longer.” Brute said in a deep booming voice and he held the man aloft like he weighed nothing at all. “Have you been harmed Chloe?” Brute asked as he looked at Chloe rubbing her chest where the man had tried to push his bony hand through it.

    Chloe was glad to see Samantha step into the room like she was stepping through a curtain. “Are you alright Chloe?” Samantha asked with worry in her voice. “I could sense your fear just now.” Samantha added as she stepped over and pulled Chloe close to her.

     “I’m fine now Brute has hold of him.” Chloe said as she looked at the man trying to make Brute release him, but it was pointless due to Brute having a pretty good grip on the man.

     “I’m sorry we put you in such danger Chloe, but we didn’t realise that the children were still being tormented by the ghost of that nasty little man.” Samantha explained as she looked at the man still fighting to get free of Brut’s grip.

     “What will happen to him now?” Chloe asked, feeling much braver now she had Samantha to protect her, not that the man was going to get away from Brute anytime soon.

     “He’ll be sent to a place where he won’t be able to hurt anyone else ever again.” Samantha promised as she gave Brute a nod to let him know he could take the ghost away.

    Brute made a slashing motion with his sickle and then he stepped through the slit of light that appeared. Chloe could hear the man screaming as the slit closed again. Chloe was soon turning her head to look at the open doorway when she heard Spirit calling for her with panic in her voice.

     “I’m sorry Chloe, are you alright?” Spirit asked as she ran into the room and then over to where Chloe was still stud with Samantha.

     “Don’t worry sis, I’m fine, and Brute just took the ghost over to the other side.” Chloe smiled as she let Spirit hug her. “How was Brute able to take him over, but you can’t just take the children with you?” Chloe asked Samantha over Spirit’s shoulder as the two of them hugged.

     “We could do that with the children, but they will never find any real peace on the other side while their bones remain trapped down here.” Samantha said as she looked around the dark damp room. “That man that did this to them doesn’t deserve to find peace, so we don’t care about him.” Samantha explained.

     “How do we get their bodies out of here and to some place where someone can find them?” Chloe asked as she first looked at the skeletal remains of the children, and then at Tracy and her friend cuddled up to each other in a corner where they had been since the man first showed up in the room.

     “I think you should go and explain what happened to Jennifer, and then let her send someone down to find the secret doorway and the room with the remains in it.” Samantha suggested.

     “What about Tracy and her friend?” Chloe asked.

     “They won’t remember anything about you and Spirit, but I think we might be able to use them to spill the secret of these rooms.” Samantha smiled as a new plan started to form. “I need you to go up to see Jennifer and explain to her what happened down here, and then she can come and find a couple of confused students wandering around down her.” Samantha grinned at her own little plan to keep Chloe out of trouble.

     “Where did you leave the others Spirit?” Chloe asked as she remembered she’d left Spirit pretending to be her so she could come down here with Tracy.

     “I said I wasn’t feeling well and I was going to see the nurse.” Spirit explained.

     “That’s okay then, I can say I’m feeling better if I see anyone of them on my way to the Head’s office.” Chloe sighed as she left the room and made her way back out of the basement and headed for Jennifer’s office to explain about her latest encounter.

*****

    Chloe managed to make it all the way to Jennifer’s office without bumping into any of the others and she asked the receptionist if she could have a word with the headmistress.

     “Please take a seat over there, and I’ll let her know you want to see her.” The receptionist said just before she picked up a phone and placed a call to who Chloe thought to be Jennifer.

    Chloe didn’t need to wait long before she saw Jennifer’s office door open and Jennifer stepped out. “Hello Chloe, what can I do for you?”

     “I really need to speak to you about something very important.” Chloe said with a pleading in her eyes for Jennifer to invite her into her office so they could speak where no one would overhear them.

     “Please step into my office then my dear child.” Jennifer said as she stepped back and let Chloe enter her office just before she stepped back into the room and closed the door.

     “I’m sorry to bother you Miss, but I’ve found the remains of the two children that went missing all those years ago.” Chloe started to explain.

    Jennifer led Chloe over to a sofa and then Chloe went on to explain everything that had happened since she found Tracy and the other girl in the toilets just after lunch.

     “Tracy and this other girl are still down in the basement as we speak?” Jennifer asked with worry in her voice.

     “Yes, but they are perfectly safe because Sammi and Spirit are down there with them.” Chloe said. “We need you to find the remains so the two children can finally find peace and move on.”

     “Alright, but you better get back to your friends so we can keep you out of it.” Jennifer said as she got to her feet and then helped Chloe to stand again.

    Chloe left Jennifer’s office and ran off to find Stacy and the others. She soon found them all milling around just outside the main building. They all ran over to her when they saw her step out into the sunshine.

     “Are you feeling any better now?” Finlay asked sounding worried as he pulled Chloe into him so he was looking down into her eyes.

     “Yes, I’m feeling much better now the nurse has given me something to settle my tummy.” Chloe lied, but she thought that would fit in with what she’d said about her period. Finlay must have thought the same thing because he pulled a face just before he leaned down to kiss Chloe on the lips. Chloe thought this was more to stop her speaking, but she didn’t mind because she thought Finlay was a very good kisser.

    They all went to sit under their favourite tree to enjoy what was left of their lunch time, and Chloe wondered if anyone had found Tracy and her friend yet. Chloe found out a little later that they had when she saw Jennifer and a couple of teachers walking Tracy and her friend towards the nurse’s room.

     “Those two look like they’ve seen a ghost or something.” Sophie said as they watched the others walking past them.

     “Something bad must have happened.” Paul said. “Tracy never even looked in Chloe’s direction, and it’s not like her to not have a dig at Chloe.” Paul pointed out.

     “He does have a point.” Finlay agreed with his friend.

    Chloe was impressed with Jennifer as the afternoon wore on and no one could find out what had happened with Tracy, but Chloe did finally find out the other girls name was Tara. Chloe knew the school would find out soon enough about the secret rooms down in the basement, and the bodies that had been found, but she just hoped none of it pointed towards her.

*****

    Chloe was glad to be finishing her last lesson of the day, even though it meant her going home and being stuck in the house, it was still better than hanging around at school, hoping no one was about to point a finger in Chloe’s direction and say that she had something to do with what Happened to Tracy and Tara down in the basement.

    Ashley was waiting with the car when Chloe and Stacy left the others. Chloe hadn’t had time to speak with Stacy about what had happened to Tracy and Tara, but Chloe could tell that Stacy knew that Chloe knew something about it.

     “You know what happened to Tracy and Tara don’t you...?” Stacy asked as they were getting in the back of Ashley’s car.

     “Yes, but I’ll tell you about it later.” Chloe said, hoping that Stacy would shut up about it while they were in her aunt’s car.

     “But I won’t be seeing you later.” Stacy whined. “You’re grounded remember.” Stacy pointed out.

     “I’ll call you later tonight and tell you all about it.” Chloe said through gritted teeth as she looked first at Stacy and then the back of her aunt’s head.

    Stacy finally understood what Chloe was getting at, but Ashley had also worked out that Chloe was trying to keep stuff from her and in turn her mother.

     “I hope you’re not still trying to keep secrets from me and your mother young lady.” Ashley said as she pulled over to the side of the road and turned to look at Chloe sat in the back of her car. “What happened at school today?” Ashley asked.

     “There has been a couple of children haunting the school for some years now, and every so often they possess the students.” Chloe started to explain.

     “Yes, I already know all this.” Stacy frowned.

     “I know you do, but Aunty Ash doesn’t.” Chloe pointed out.

     “Oh, sorry...” Stacy giggled as she slapped a hand over her mouth. “Did you see them or something?” Stacy asked; eager to find out what happened.

     “Yes, Mary the ghost of the maid I told you about last week, came to me in the library this morning and warned me that the ghosts of the children had possessed the bodies of a couple of students and Spirit lowered the protective field that she normally has around me.”

     “Why would she do that?” Ashley asked with worry in her voice.

     “Spirit thought it would help the spirits of the children to find me, so I could find out where their remains were hidden.” Chloe explained.

     “And I gather it worked?” Ashley asked with a raised eyebrow.

     “Yes it did, but the two children had possessed the bodies of Tracy and her friend Tara.” Chloe was the one frowning this time.

     “Why did they choose those two?” Stacy asked.

     “They mistook the way Tracy was treating me as a sign of friendship, so they thought Tracy would be the best one to possess to find out more about me.” Chloe shrugged.

     “So what happened to them?” Ashley asked.

     “They led me down to the basement and then through a secret doorway to a room where their remains were.” Chloe said as she choked back tears from the memory of the two tiny sets of remains she had found in the room. “A nasty little man had taken them down there and tied them up.” Chloe added.

     “He just left them down there to die...?” Ashley asked with anger and shock in her voice.

     “I found the man’s remains down there as well; it looked like he’d died of a heart attack or something just as painful.” Chloe sounded glad about the man dying a painful death. “He tried to attack me, but I called for Brute and he stopped him.” Chloe added with a grin.

     “He attacked you...?” Ashley looked ready to freak out now.

     “He tried to, but my special gift with the dead meant he couldn’t do what he wanted to.” Chloe said as she tried to calm her aunt down.

     “And just what do you think he was trying to do to you?” Ashley asked.

     “I’m not too sure, but I don’t think it was going to be very nice.” Chloe said as she tried to work out just what the man would have done, had he been able to reach into Chloe’s chest.

     “He was trying to steal your life force.” Spirit said as she appeared in the front passenger seat. “He’s been stealing the life force of children at the school for years now.” Spirit added with a sigh.

     “And no one knew anything about it...?” Chloe asked.

     “The life force he was stealing kept him off our radar, but it lit up like a Christmas tree when he touched you.” Spirit grinned as she looked at Chloe who was rubbing her chest where the man had punched her.

     “Where is he now?” Chloe asked.

     “He’s been dealt with.” Spirit smirked.

     “He won’t find his way back will he?” Ashley sounded worried still.

     “Not in human form.” Spirit grinned. “Sammi said something about him spending a few hundred years as a fly, or some other insect.” Spirit added in a matter of fact way.

     “What about Tracy and Tara, do either of them remember what I did?” Chloe asked as she remembered about those two seeing her stop the man from attacking them.

     “Sammi and I sorted it so they remember sneaking down to the basement to hide out, and then they found the secret door and the room with the remains in it.” Spirit smiled at how well Sammie’s plan had worked.

     “And neither of them will ever remember Chloe being down there with them?” Ashley asked, wanting to make sure her niece was safe.

     “No, they won’t remember a thing.” Spirit promised.

     “How could you be down in the basement with Tracy and Tara, and be with me and the others at the same time?” Stacy asked as she remembered that Chloe had been with her and the others all through lunch, apart from the time she was in the toilet.

     “I took Chloe’s place at lunchtime from when she came out of the toilets right up until I went to the nurse’s office.” Spirit explained.

     “I thought there was something off with you after you came out the toilet, but I just put it down to you not feeling well after you went to see the nurse.” Stacy complained.

     “It was better you didn’t know anything.” Spirit said.

     “But I could have helped...!” Stacy whined.

     “You would have just been in the way if you’d been down there with Chloe.” Spirit frowned.

     “I could never forgive myself if anything happened to you Stace.” Chloe said with fear in her voice.

    Stacy wanted to argue that she could look after herself, but the truth of the matter was, she wouldn’t have been much help had she been there. So she just smiled at Chloe and took hold of her hand.

    Ashley pulled away from the curb and carried on driving towards Stacy’s home, and she was soon pulling into the driveway.

     “Are you not going to say hi to Shadow this evening?” Ashley asked when she saw that Chloe wasn’t trying to get out of the car.

     “No, he’d just be even more upset that I’m not able to take him out, so I might as well stop in the car.” Chloe sounded gloomy as she said it.

    Ashley wasn’t going to force Chloe to go see her horse just in case he didn’t want to see her, and Ashley could see that Chloe was miserable enough as it was.

    Chloe said her goodbyes to Stacy before Stacy got out the car and ran off into the house so she could get her homework done and then go out for a ride on her horse. Stacy had sorted out with Jade and Sophie to come over and go for a ride. Chloe wished she could go with them, but she was grounded still.

*****

    Ashley had made Chloe go with her to the study when they returned home, so Chloe could fill her mother in on what had happened at the school. Valarie was a little angry over Chloe being put in harm’s way, but she was proud of what Chloe had done as well.

    Chloe had then gone up to her room to get changed and settle down to do her home work. Chloe soon had it all done and then she just flagged out on her bed while she waited to be called down for dinner. She was giggling as she played with the two kittens.

    The two kittens were soon jumping off the bed and hiding when they heard Ashley screaming for Chloe to get down stairs fast.

     “What have I done now?” Chloe asked the empty room as she slid off the bed and ran out of her room and down the stairs to see what her aunt wanted her for in such a hurry.

     “Chloe...!” Ashley shouted again with panic in her voice.

    Chloe followed the sound of her aunt’s screaming towards the kitchen and skidded to a halt when she saw the reason for her aunt’s panic. Stood in the middle of the kitchen was Shadow, and even though her aunty was trying to force Shadow back out of the back door, Shadow was just making a grunting sound that said he wasn’t going anywhere until he saw Chloe.

    Shadow pushed his way past Ashley when he saw Chloe enter the room and he bowed his head in shame just in front of Chloe as though he was saying sorry to her for how he had acted that morning.

     “He’s trying to say sorry to you.” Spirit said with a smirk as she appeared stood next to Chloe.

     “Did you bring him here?” Chloe asked as she stroked his head.

     “Nope, he found his own way here.” Spirit admitted. “I think he must have been a blood hound in a former life.” Spirit giggled.

     “I think he might be a wall ornament if we don’t get him out of the kitchen.” Chloe said as she saw the look on her aunt’s face. Chloe tried to make Shadow leave the kitchen with her, but Shadow just grunted and refused to move.

     “He says you promised him an apple, and he’s not moving until he gets it.” Spirit translated for the horse.

     “Here, take the bowl; just get out of my kitchen...!” Ashley said as she picked up a full bowl of apples and pushed them into Chloe’s hands.

    Chloe picked up one of the apples out the bowl and then fed it to Shadow who was now backing up towards the back door. He was almost out when Valarie entered the kitchen to find out what Ashley was shouting about.

     “What’s...? What’s he doing here, and in the kitchen at that...?” Valarie asked as she saw Chloe trying to get Shadow out the kitchen while feeding him apples.

     “I don’t think he likes the idea of Chloe being grounded and unable to ride.” Ashley joked.

    Shadow made a loud grunting sound as though he was agreeing with Ashley. Chloe just carried on trying to get Shadow out of the kitchen and into the garden. She had no idea how she was going to get him back to the stables due to her not having a saddle.

     “I didn’t think you’d ever speak to me again boy.” Chloe said as she hugged Shadow’s head while he munched on an apple. Shadow made another grunting sound which made Chloe stop hugging him and look him in the eye.

     “He says you’re being foolish now, and he would never stop talking to you.” Spirit translated. “He came here because he hopes that you will have to ride him back to the stables.” Spirit added with a giggle.

     “But I don’t have a saddle.” Chloe pointed out.

     “He says you can ride him bare back.” Spirit said after Shadow grunted again.

     “Are you sure?” Chloe asked as she looked at Shadow again. Shadow answered her by nodding his head up and down just before he stepped forward and rested his head over Chloe’s shoulder.

     “You better see about getting him back to the stables then.” Valarie said from the doorway. “I’ll come and pick you up later.” She added with a sigh.

     “But I’m grounded.” Chloe argued.

     “It looks like your horse has other plans, and I don’t want him coming in the house again, so I’m cutting your punishment short.” Valarie admitted defeat.

     “Thank you mummy...!” Chloe squealed as she ran over to Valarie and threw her arms around her.

     “Just remember to come and talk to me in future when you have a problem, and no more going behind my back.” Valarie warned as she hugged Chloe back.

    Valarie helped Chloe to get up on Shadow’s back and then she waved to Chloe as she trotted off down the driveway on her way back to Stacy’s.

*****

    Stacy was franticly running around the stables when Chloe arrived there with Shadow. Stacy was trying to saddle up her own horse while Jade and Sophie saddled up their own.

     “Hey Stace...!” Chloe called out with a grin on her face.

     “Chloe...! Shadow...!” Stacy called out in relief as she stopped playing around with her horse and she ran over to greet Chloe and Shadow. “I’ve been so worried about him since I came down and saw that he wasn’t in the field any longer.” Stacy added as she threw her arms around Shadow’s neck and hugged him.

     “He came over to the house.” Chloe started to explain. “My aunty called me down in a panic, and I found him stood in the kitchen.” Chloe added with a giggle.

     “You’re such a bad boy Shadow.” Stacy sounded shocked over what Shadow had done.

     “He’s not that bad, because my mum has said I’m not grounded anymore.” Chloe grinned.

     “Does that mean you can come with us for a ride then tonight?” Stacy sounded excited.

     “Yes, but I want to put my saddle on him first.” Chloe looked to be in some pain. “I’m not into this bare back riding.” She added as she slid off Shadow and led him over to the entrance to the tack room where her saddle was kept.

    Chloe soon had Shadow saddled up and she got back on him and joined the others for a ride through the woods. Chloe thought this was just what she needed after the stressful day she’d had.

     “The police turned up at the school again today, just after all the classes had ended.” Sophie informed Chloe and Stacy as they rode.

     “I think they’ve found more students that Jane’s killed.” Jade said as she shared her theory with the others.

     “Are there other students that went missing?” Chloe asked. She wanted to make it look like she didn’t know anything about the real reason for the police being at the school.

     “No...!” Sophie snapped as she frowned at Jade over her silly comment. “I’ve already told you that no other students have gone missing, so it can’t have anything to do with Jane.” Sophie growled at Jade.

     “I think it’s got something to do with Tracy and Tara.” Stacy said. “We did see the headmistress walking them towards her office at the end of lunch.” Stacy added with a grin.

     “You look so sad over the fact your former friend might be in trouble.” Sophie said with a smirk.

     “What do you think they did to end up having the police called in?” Jade asked.

     “Who knows, but I’m sure we’ll find out sooner or later.” Sophie shrugged like she wasn’t bothered about what happened to Tracy or Tara.

     “Maybe the police found out that Tracy was planning to bump you off Chloe.” Jade said after a couple of minutes.

    Chloe just looked at Jade open mouthed, but she was soon giggling when Sophie rode her horse close enough to Jade so she could slap her across the back of the head.

     “OUCH...! What was that for?” Jade asked as she franticly rubbed the back of her head like it would stop it hurting.

     “I’m going to do that every time you say something stupid.” Sophie warned.

     “You’re going to have a very sore hand then.” Stacy managed to say with a straight face.

     “Hey...!” Jade whined. “What are you trying to say?”

    Stacy, Chloe and Sophie just burst out in a fit of giggles, which soon had Jade laughing as well. Jade already knew she could say some silly things, and was prone to blurting things out before her brain had thought it through.

     “You can be pretty crazy sometimes Jade, but I’m still glad to have you as my best friend.” Sophie admitted as she leaned over and gave Jade a hug to say sorry for slapping her so hard.

     “I’ll agree with you on the pretty part, but the voices in my head keep telling me that I’m perfectly fine.” Jade said as she stuck her nose in the air and her shoulders back. Sophie and the others just burst out in another fit of the giggles.

    With Sophie and Jade not knowing the real reason for the police being at the school, and Chloe and Stacy not wanting to share what they knew because it could tip Sophie and Jade off to Chloe knowing more than she was telling, the four girls changed the subject to more normal things girls would talk about while they enjoyed their early evening ride.

*****

 

To Be Continued Next Tuesday  GRIN

 

Story by SaraUK

 

Edited and Posted by SamanthaK

    EDITORS NOTE: Please Comment and/or leave Kudos and let Sara know you like her work please, Any comments on spelling, grammar or the layout of the story please PM me “Samanthak” not Sara. Thank you

up
160 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A mixed episode

Child molesters ( and I suspect he was one ) make me see red. And being the parasite he is he continued being one after dieing.

I loved the Shadow incident though as that horse really loves his Chloe :)

Kim