A Ghost Of A Chance. Book 2. Chapter 3

Printer-friendly version


 © February 2013


Part Three of 13+


Chapter Three: Starting School

    Chloe was woken on the Monday morning, not by her alarm clock, but by her two kittens playing around on the bed as they chased each other around. Smokey slipped off Chloe’s shoulder which was under the covers, and he ended up sat on her head.

    She opened her eyes and looked at Smokey as he tried to get back onto his paws; he looked as though he smiled at Chloe just before he licked her nose and jumped out of sight again to carry on chasing Angel around

     “He’s sorry for waking you.” Spirit’s voice came from the other side of the bed.

     “I thought I’d wake to find you gone again.” Chloe said with a sleepy smile as she turned over to look at Spirit.

     “Sammi gave me permission to stop the night to help you get some sleep ready for your big day at school.” Spirit explained.

     “Were you helping me have nice dreams?” Chloe asked as she couldn’t remember having any bad dreams to do with her being at school.

     “Yes, I hope you don’t mind, but you were starting to worry about it all as you fell asleep, so I gave you a little nudge towards some nicer dreams.” Spirit smiled with pride.

     “I didn’t know you could do that, but I don’t mind at all.” Chloe said as she sat up and had a stretch. “And thank you for waking me up you little ball of fur.” Chloe added as she scooped up the smoky gray kitten and looked him in the eyes. She was soon giggling though when she was pounced on by Angel, who also wanted some attention.

    Chloe was sat up in bed with a kitten in each hand when there was a knock on her bedroom door just before her mother entered the room.

     “Good, you’re awake.” Valarie said as she entered the room and made her way over to where Chloe was on the bed. “I’ll take those two out of your way, so you can take a shower and see about getting ready for school.” Valarie took hold of a kitten in each hand and then stepped back to wait for Chloe to slide out of bed.

     “Why aren’t you telling Spirit to get up?” Chloe asked with a pout as she slid out of bed and slipped her feet into her slippers.

     “Something tells me that Spirit doesn’t need as much time as you to get ready for school.” Valarie said in answer to Chloe’s question. “It’s not like anyone is going to see her apart from you anyway.”

     “I can be ready in a snap.” Spirit said as she clicked her fingers and vanished from the bed, just to reappear next to it dressed in a school uniform that matched the one Chloe would be wearing. Spirit even looked like she’d brushed her hair and added a little makeup as well.

     “Can I wear a little makeup?” Chloe asked as she looked up at Valarie.

     “No, you don’t need any makeup on, you’re pretty enough without it.” Valarie said as she frowned at Spirit. “Spirit isn’t going to be seen at school, so she won’t get in trouble, but you read the rules about there not being any makeup allowed other than concealer to cover up spots or other things like that.”

     “What if someone sees that I’m not really a girl without any makeup on?” Chloe tried to argue, but she already knew it was a weak argument, as she looked nothing like a boy in the first place, other than between the legs and in the chest area where there were no breasts growing yet, but Stacy didn’t have any breasts either, so Chloe knew there must be other girls at the school; in the same boat.

     “You look pretty enough without any makeup on sweetie, and no one would ever think you to be a boy.” Valarie said as she leaned down and kissed Chloe on the cheek. She couldn’t give Chloe a hug due to her still having a kitten in each hand. “Now go take a shower and I’ll sort you out with some breakfast.” Valarie added as she guided Chloe towards her bathroom just before she left the room to take the kittens down and feed them.

*****

    Chloe was soon showered and heading down for some breakfast wearing nothing but clean training bra and panties under her bathrobe, and she had her slippers on her feet. The training bra was padded, so it looked like Chloe now had a small set of breasts.

     “Good morning sweetie...!” Ashley said when she saw Chloe enter the kitchen. “Are you excited about going to school?” She asked as she pulled Chloe into a hug.

     “I’m more scared to death Aunty Ash than excited.” Chloe mumbled, due to her face being buried in Ashley’s dressing gown.

     “You’re worrying over nothing.” Ashley said as she led Chloe over to the table and helped her to take a seat. She then poured her out some cereal before she took her seat again and carried on eating her toast.

     “I hope you’re right Aunty Ash.” Chloe said still looking nervous, not sure if she would be able to keep any of her cereal down.

     “You already have three friends, which is more than you’ve had in the past when you’ve gone to school.” Ashley pointed out. “Not to mention the fact you’re now a girl.”

     “Only to look at when I’m dressed.” Chloe frowned.

     “A good tip would be to not go taking your clothes off in front of anyone while you’re at school then.” Ashley said in a fake whisper.

     “Do you think...?” Chloe said looking annoyed, but she was soon trying not to grin when she saw the goofy look on Ashley’s face.

     “Just relax and be yourself, well the Chloe you that is.” Ashley said looking confused with herself. “You’ve always felt like a girl, and now you get to be one.”

    Chloe went to say something, but stopped when she realised that what Ashley was saying did make sense to her and she could just be herself now.

     “I can see you know I’m right.” Ashley said looking smug with herself. “Jade and Sophie haven’t picked up on you being anything but a girl called Chloe, so why would anyone else at the school?” Ashley asked.

     “I may not say this very often, but my sister is right sweetie, you will be just like all the other girls wandering around the school.” Valarie said as she brought a plate of French toast over to the table for Chloe to eat.

     “Hey...! What’s that suppose to mean?” Ashley asked looking hurt at her sister’s comment. “I’m always right, except when I’m wrong, but even then I’m right.” Ashley argued.

     “Right...” Valarie said, not looking convinced that she understood anything of what her sister had just said.

    Chloe found herself giggling as she watched the two of them playing around arguing with each other. Chloe loved to see her new mother and her aunt play around like this; it was all new to her. As James it had always been him and his mum, then it was him, his mum and Mark until his mum died, then it was just him and Mark until he ran away and got hit by the truck, so as James, Chloe had never seen this sort of closeness between family members before.

     “Hurry up and eat your breakfast Chloe.” Valarie said snapping Chloe out of her thoughts over her lonely past.

    Even though Chloe hadn’t felt hungry, the smell of the French toast changed that and she soon finished her cereal and was getting stuck into two slices of French toast before she washed it all down with a glass of milk. She also took her pills which Valarie had handed to her once she’d finished eating.

     “Do you need some help getting ready for school?” Valarie asked looking hopeful.

     “I could use some help with my hair mummy.” Chloe said as she got up from the kitchen table.

    Valarie started grinning as she got to her feet and followed Chloe out the kitchen, so she could help her get ready for school.

    Chloe was soon dressed in a gray pleated skirt, white blouse, gray pantyhose and a pair of ballet flats in black. Chloe finished off the look with a gray tie, which just left her needing to put on a gray blazer once Valarie had finished with her hair.

    Valarie sat Chloe at the dressing table, and then she started to brush out Chloe’s hair before she started making one long single braid down the back.

     “Did you use to do this for the real Chloe?” Chloe asked as she looked at Valarie in the mirror.

     “You are the real Chloe.” Valarie scolded her playfully. “And don’t you ever forget it.” She added as she gave Chloe a hug and kissed her on the cheek.

     “Sorry mummy.” Chloe smiled as she enjoyed the hug. “So did you used to do this for Spirit?” Chloe asked, using the real Chloe’s new name.

     “I used to, right up until she said she was old enough to do her own hair.” Valarie said looking sad about losing the right to do this simple task for her daughter.

     “I always regretted saying that to you mother.” Spirit said from just behind her.

     “Why did you never tell me?” Valarie asked looking hurt as she turned to look at Spirit.

     “Pride I guess.” Spirit shrugged. “I just wanted to be seen as being more grown up, and having your mother do your hair for you just seemed childish.”

     “I don’t mind feeling childish.” Chloe grinned. “You can do my hair as much as you want.” She added as she looked at a grinning Valarie in the mirror.

     “I’d like it if you did my hair from time to time as well mother.” Spirit was asking more that stating a fact, she wasn’t sure her mother would still want to play around with her hair.

     “I’d love to play around with your hair again sweetie, but I thought you could get any look you wanted with a click of your fingers?”

     “I can, but it’s not the same as having you do it.” Spirit pouted as she stepped closer and gave Valarie a hug.

     “I’m so glad that I can hug you again princess.” Valarie said as she wrapped her arms around Spirit and hugged her back.

    Chloe watched the two of them hugging each other, but she didn’t feel jealous or left out of it, she was just happy to have a family that loved her, and Chloe could see that Valarie loved her just as much as she loved Spirit.

     “I better get back to working on Chloe’s hair or Stacy and Dorothy will be here and she won’t be ready.” Valarie said when she saw the time was getting on.

    Chloe was sporting a French braid by the time Valarie had done, and Chloe loved the way it looked.

     “Wow mummy, it looks so pretty.” Chloe said as she turned her head from side to side while looking in the mirror.

     “It looks nice, and will be kept out the way while you’re at school.” Valarie said with pride in her voice over just how well the braid suited Chloe. “I’m sure you don’t want to be seen playing around with your hair on and off all day, and a braid is very low maintenance?” Valarie explained.

     “Not really because that would be a dead giveaway that I’m not a real girl if they all saw me trying to make my hair look pretty all the time and failing.” Chloe said looking worried.

     “You are a real girl sweetie, so stop saying that you’re not.” Valarie said in a pleading tone as she helped Chloe to stand up so she could give her a hug.

     “I’m sorry mummy, but I just feel so...” Chloe trailed off as she couldn’t think of the right word to explain how she felt.

     “I think I know how you feel sweetie. Robert tried to explain some of the things you’d be going through, and you will always be my daughter, no matter how you feel.” Valarie said as she held Chloe close and remembered some of the things Dr Kaufman warned her about.

     “I wish I was like Stephi, and I was on the other side of it all.” Chloe sighed as she enjoyed the hug.

     “Please don’t wish your life away.” Valarie said as she hugged Chloe a little tighter. “I want to help you grow into the beautiful woman I know you will be one day.”

     “I want that too mummy, but I just don’t feel like those pills are working, I don’t feel any different.” Chloe said sounding frustrated.

     “I did warn you that things wouldn’t change overnight.” Valarie smiled at just how much like a normal teenage girl Chloe sounded right now. “The testosterone blockers you’re taking will help the small dose of female hormones you’re taking develop like all the other girls in the school, and you look just the same as Stacy does at the minute.” Valarie explained. She was stopped from saying more when Spirit informed them that Dorothy and Stacy were just pulling into the drive.

    Chloe slipped on her blazer and grabbed her school bag and laptop case before she made her way out her bedroom and down the stairs. Ashley was just letting Dorothy and Stacy in the front door as Chloe and Valarie arrived at the bottom. Spirit had vanished, saying she’d be keeping an eye on Chloe, and also looking out for any signs of trouble.

     “Hi girlfriend...!” Stacy shouted the minute she saw Chloe. She ran over to where Chloe was stood and she threw her arms around her. “You look so smart in your uniform, and I love what you did with your hair.” Stacy said as she made Chloe to a quick twirl for her.

     “I can’t take credit for the hair that was mother’s work.” Chloe smiled proudly.

     “Can you make my hair look like that mummy?” Stacy asked as she looked up at Dorothy.

     “I’m sorry honey, but I wouldn’t know where to start.” Dorothy admitted as she looked at Chloe’s braid.

     “I could do it for you Stacy, if you have ten minutes to spare?” Valarie said as she looked at Dorothy.

     “I have plenty of time to get the girls to school, and she would look pretty with a braid like Chloe.” Dorothy said with a smile as she saw Stacy’s face light up.

     “Do you want a cup of tea while you wait?” Ashley asked.

     “That sounds like a wonderful idea.” Dorothy smiled as she followed Ashley into the kitchen, while Stacy went up to Chloe’s room with Chloe and Valarie.

     “Thank you for doing this Mrs Ballard.” Stacy said as they entered Chloe’s room.

     “Think nothing of it, and I’ve told you to call me Valarie or Val.” She said in a playful scolding tone. “And it’s Miss Ashcroft from now on.

     “Sorry Val.” Stacy said looking a little sheepish. “Does that mean Chloe is Ms Chloe Ashcroft then?” Stacy asked.

     “Yes, Chloe is now Ms Ashcroft.” Valarie smiled as she led Stacy over to the dressing table and sat her down so she could make her hair look like Chloe’s.

    Stacy had her hair tied back in a simple high ponytail, so Valarie pulled out the hair band and set to work. Chloe stood and watched what her mother did, so she could learn to do it herself, not so she could do her own hair, but so she could do it for Stacy, and whoever else liked the look of it.

    Valarie was soon done, and Stacy now had a French braid just like Chloe, but it did look a little different due to Stacy having much longer hair, and it also being a glossy black instead of the blonde like Chloe had.

     “What do you think?” Valarie asked as she held up a hand mirror for Stacy to see the back of her head while she looked in the large mirror on the dressing table.

     “Wow Valarie, I look amazing.” Stacy grinned as she reached up and touched her own hair. “Thank you so much.” She added as she jumped up and gave Valarie a hug.

     “You’re welcome sweetie, now we better see about getting the two of you to school before you’re late, which wouldn’t be good on your first day back.” Valarie said as she led the two girls out of Chloe’s bedroom and back down the stairs.

     “What do you think mummy?” Stacy asked as she skipped into the kitchen and then did a twirl to let Dorothy get a proper look at her new hair style.

     “That looks really pretty honey.” Dorothy said. “I hope you remembered to say thank you to Mrs Ballard?” She asked.

     “Yes she did Dorothy, and it’s going to be Miss Ashcroft from now on. I’ve decided to use my maiden name like I do with my writing.” Valarie explained. The other reason was to stop people being able to link the new Chloe with the old one as easily. Valarie thought that the different last name might stop anyone putting two and two together.

     “That’s a good idea, and it will give Chloe a new start as well, now she’s your daughter and not your son.” Dorothy said in agreement.

    Valarie had let Dorothy and her husband think that Chloe had once been her son, but was now transitioning into her daughter. She didn’t think it safe to let them know all the details surrounding Chloe’s past, as it would lead to them finding out about Spirit and the fact Chloe could see and speak to ghosts. Valarie didn’t think that even a couple like Dorothy and Tom would be that open minded if they found out.

     “That was my thoughts.” Valarie agreed, as she let the lie play out.

     “Thank you for the tea Ashley.” Dorothy said as she got up from the table. “I better see about getting these two to school so they can lean something useful.” She added as she stepped over to where the two girls were stood waiting to be taken to school.

     “Try and relax sweetie, and go straight to see Jennifer if you have any trouble with any of the other children at school.” Valarie warned as she pulled Chloe into a hug.

     “Don’t you mean Miss Scott?” Chloe corrected her mother as she hugged her back. “I don’t want to get in trouble with the headmistress for calling her by her first name while at school.”

     “Good point.” Valarie smirked. “I’m sure Miss Scott would let you off once or twice though.” Valarie added.

     “I’d rather not find out mummy.” Chloe said looking worried.

     “I think that uniform is making you act smarter already.” Valarie giggled as she gave Chloe another hug.

     “Thanks mummy... I think.” Chloe said, not sure if her mother had just paid her a compliment or not. “I do love the uniform.” She added with a grin as she stepped back and did another twirl, making the gray pleated skirt flare out as she spun around.

     “Stephanie was just the same when she first put her uniform on.” Dorothy smiled.

     “I don’t know how anyone can find this uniform exciting.” Stacy grumbled as she looked down at herself in her matching uniform to what Chloe was wearing.

     “We all know that you’d be happier covered in hay and smelling of horses.” Dorothy frowned. “Come on then you two; let’s see about getting you to school.” Dorothy added as she rounded up the two girls and led them out of the kitchen and then out the front door and over to the Range rover.

    Stacy and Chloe both got in the back and then they waved to Valarie and Ashley who were stood at the front door waving to them. Chloe could see that Valarie looked just as nervous as she felt at that very moment.

     “You’ll be alright Chloe, I’ll help you fit in, and you’ll soon have lots of new friends to chat to.” Stacy said with a smile as she took hold of Chloe’s hand once Chloe had stopped waving to her mum and aunt.

     “Thanks Stace, but I already have the best friend ever.” Chloe smiled back nervously as she squeezed Stacy’s hand to let her know she was that friend.

     “BFF’s?” Stacy asked with a grin.

     “BFF’s.” Chloe grinned back.

    Dorothy smiled as she looked in the rear view mirror at her daughter and her new best friend helping each other to stay calm as she drove them to school. Dorothy thought that Chloe coming into Stacy’s life was the best thing that could have happened to her, as Stacy had been living in her own little world since Stephanie’s secret had come out at school, and some of the girls Stacy had thought to be her friends, had pulled away when they found out Stacy’s sister was once her brother.

    Both girls went quiet as Dorothy drove in through the gates of the school and pulled up outside the main house. They did cheer up a little when they saw Jade and Sophie come running over to the car.

     “Looks like someone has been waiting for you two to arrive.” Dorothy said with a smile as she got out the car and then opened the back door for Stacy to get out.

    Rather than get out her own side, Chloe slid across the seat and got out the same side as Stacy, so she could keep close to her. Chloe could already see some of the other children looking at her and then whispering to the person stood next to them.

     “Don’t let any of this bother you Chloe.” Sophie said when she saw Chloe looking worried. “Some of them have read your mother’s books and they are just curious about you.” She added as she wrapped an arm around Chloe’s waist to let everyone know that she was friends with her.

     “How do they know who I am?”

     “Sorry, but I happened to let it slip that you were friends with Stacy, and you just got out a car with Stacy.” Sophie pointed out.

     “Have you read any of my mother’s books?” Chloe asked as she focused on Sophie and tried to block out all the looks she was getting from the other children. Chloe wasn’t sure she liked being noticed, as James she would just be ignored most the time when not being picked on, but now she was being noticed and eyed up by some of the boys.

     “Jade and I borrowed a couple of them out the library the other night, and we’re really enjoying them, but we do wonder just how much like your mother you are.” Sophie smirked.

    Chloe called on some of the real Chloe’s memories to remember what her mother had wrote about in her books, and she soon realised what Sophie was getting at.

     “Sadly I’m not that much like my mother, and you can’t believe she did all those things she wrote about.” Chloe said waving off Sophie’s excitement.

     “I still think being friends with you is going to be an adventure.” Sophie said, not letting what Chloe just said calm her excitement.

    Chloe was just about to say something else when she saw a couple of boys making their way over to her, Sophie, Jade and Stacy. Chloe was suddenly very nervous. She’d got used to being around girls her own age, but she’d not been around any boys until now, and all Chloe could think about was the trouble James had had with boys in the past.

     “Hi... It’s Chloe... Right...?” One of the boys asked, looking almost as nervous as Chloe did.

     “Yes, that’s right.” Chloe replied with a nervous smile.

     “Daughter of Valarie Ashcroft, the writer?” He asked.

     “Guilty.” Chloe blushed. “And you are...?” She asked when she realised that he wasn’t going to offer his name willingly.

     “I’m sorry.” He said looking a little flustered. “I’m Finlay Cross, and this is my friend Paul Wright.” The boy said. “I’m hoping to become a writer myself one day, and I would love to sit and pick your brain some time.” He blurted out looking excited about meeting her.

     “You’d be better off picking my mother’s brain, as she’s the writer in the family.” Chloe pointed out. “I’m not that good with writing myself.” Chloe said.

     “I think you’re being modest,” Finlay said. “I checked your grades, and you came out top of your class at your old school, and have even had a couple of your short stories printed in the back of your mother’s books.” He added.

     ‘Crap!’ Chloe thought to herself. ‘This guy knows more about me than I do.’ “My mother did most of the work on them; I just gave her the rough outline.” She said to try and cover her little slip, and hopefully stop him asking her any more questions.

     “I think coming up with a good idea for a story is half the battle.” Finlay said, not looking like he was going to stop picking her brain. “And I’m sure you’ve learned something from your mother while she’s been writing.” He added with a smile.

     ‘Is he flirting with me?” Chloe thought to herself. “I can have a word with my mother for you and see if she’d be willing to meet and give you some advice.” Chloe said, wanting to put an end to this little interrogation before she dropped herself in it even more than she already had.

     “I’d love to come over to your home and meet your mother.” Finlay grinned.

     ‘Double crap...! I didn’t mean it like that.’ Chloe screamed in her own head. She didn’t like the way he was looking at her either. ‘Is he flirting with me?’ She thought, but before she had time to come up with an excuse to remove the offer for Finley to come over to her home and meet her mother, Chloe was knocked to one side by a tall blonde girl with a couple of other girls following close behind.

     “Hey! Watch where you’re walking.” Chloe snapped as she caught her balance just before she fell over, thanks to a little help from Sophie who had been stood just off to one side.

    The blonde girl that was just about to speak to Finlay spun around and glared at Chloe as she looked her up and down, then she got a look on her face that said Chloe was no threat to her. “You should learn to look where you’re going little girl.” The blonde said in a matter of fact way as she turned back towards Finlay.

     “You walked into me.” Chloe snarled as she pushed the girl.

     Living rough on the streets of London had taught Chloe not to let anyone get the upper hand, so she wasn’t going to let this girl broadcast to the school that she was a push over.

     “You didn’t just touch me did you, you little bitch?” The blonde girl said sounding shocked as she turned back to face Chloe.

     “Yes, and here, I’m doing it again.” Chloe said as she gave the girl another push.

     “Do you have any idea who you’re messing with?” The girl asked as she bent down and tried to look more menacing, and let Chloe know that she was bigger than her, not that Chloe hadn’t noticed already.

     “As I’m new at the school, and you’re not anyone famous, the answer would be no.” Chloe shot back as she starred daggers into the girl’s eyes, not looking scared at all.

     “I own this school little girl, and you don’t want me as an enemy.” She warned. “I could make your life a living hell.” The girl added with an evil grin.

     “Is that meant to scare me?” Chloe asked, not looking impressed. She’d seen far scarier kids in her old school, and they had knifes to back up what they said, not a makeup case and a hair brush.

    The girl went to say something else, but stopped when Finlay spoke to her. “Leave her alone Jane, you was the one that walked into her.”

     “But I just wanted to say hi to you Fin.” The girl Chloe now knew to be Jane said with a pout.

     “Well say hi and move along, I was in the middle of a conversation with Chloe.” Finlay frowned like he saw this Jane as an annoyance.

     “Oh... If that’s how you’re going to be, I may never speak to you again.” Jane said as she stuck her nose in the air and walked off with her two friends running to catch up with her, but not before they both gave Chloe an evil look that said this wasn’t over.

     “I wish that was true.” Finlay said under his breath, but it was still loud enough for Chloe and Sophie to hear. Stacy and jade joined them now that Stacy’s mother had got in her car and driven away. “I’m sorry about Jane; she’d been trying to get me to go out with her for the past couple of years.” Finlay apologised.

     “I’m shocked that you’ve never been tempted to go out with such a wonderful girl.” Chloe said heavy with sarcasm.

     “She’s just not my type.” Finlay chuckled. “I like my dates to have something between their ears.” He added with a grin.

     “Who is she anyway?” Chloe asked, trying to ignore what Finlay just said. She hoped that by not responding to it, he might get the message that she wasn’t interested.

     “She’s Jane Bridgeport, her father’s an MP, and just as bad as she is.” Sophie said with a roll of her eyes. “I’m sorry to say, but she’s not far wrong when she says she owns the school.” Sophie warned.

     “You mean her father actually owns the school?” Chloe asked looking worried for the first time now.

     “No, nothing like that, but she does seem to be able to get most people she doesn’t like in trouble, and even though she’s not that bright, she still seems to pass all her tests somehow.” Sophie said with a knowing look.

     “Wonderful.” Chloe frowned. “Here less than an hour, and already I’ve made an enemy of the most popular girl in school.” She added with a sigh.

     “Not the most popular.” Finlay smiled. “Just the biggest bitch.” He added.

     “Gee, that makes me feel much better.” Chloe said sarcastically again.

     “Don’t worry about Jane too much; she won’t want to take on Sophie here.” Finlay informed her. “Though I must admit that you seem a little happier and a lot less bitchy these days.” He added as he saw the way Sophie was stood with Chloe, Jade and Stacy. He was use to seeing Jade hanging around with Sophie, so that wasn’t any different.

     “I finally realised that this school wasn’t big enough for two queen bitches.” Sophie said with a smile that didn’t look real, and also let Finlay know that the bitch part of her nature was still there when she needed it.

     “This suits you far better Sophie.” Finlay smiled. “I’ll talk to you later about this meeting with your mother then Chloe.” Finlay added as he carried on where they had stopped when Jane interrupted them.

    Before Chloe had time to say something to take the offer off the table, Finlay was gone as he ran off shouting to a group of boys just making their way into the large house that was the main school building.

     “I think he likes you.” Jade said with a giggle.

     “Well I don’t like him.” Chloe shot back looking worried.

     “Why were you flirting with him then?” Jade asked looking confused.

     “I wasn’t flirting with him...!” Chloe said in a squeaky voice that she always got when she was shocked about something, it was one of the things that got James picked on a lot in his old school, and also the reason he stopped going.

     “It did kind of look like you were flirting with him Chloe.” Stacy agreed with a frown. Chloe could also see that Stacy understood how she might have made that simple mistake with not being use to interacting with boys while being dressed as a girl.

     “Great, first day at school, and already I have a boy with a crush on me, and the girl that would like to go out with the boy wants to kill me.” Chloe grumbled.

     “Don’t sweat it girlfriend, you’re not on your own.” Sophie said as she wrapped an arm around Chloe and started leading her towards the main building.

    Chloe was glad she wasn’t on her own, but she couldn’t help wondering if Sophie and Jade would be her friends if they knew her secrets, or the one that she was really a boy pretending to be a dead girl.

     “Thanks, I have a feeling that I’m going to need all the friends I can get.” Chloe said as she looked around to see if she could see where this Jane Bridgeport was, but she couldn’t see her anywhere.

     “Don’t forget you also have me on your side sis.” Spirit said as she appeared on the other side of Chloe to what Sophie was walking. “Don’t worry; you’re the only one that can see me right now.” Spirit added when she saw the worried look on Chloe’s face, and just before a boy walking the other way past straight through Spirit, or more to the point Spirit passed straight through him. “I know; we need to talk later.” Spirit said after seeing the look Chloe had now.

     “Everything alright Chloe?” Sophie asked when she saw Chloe looking at something to her other side.

     “Fine, I was just checking out the school.” Chloe lied.

     “We’ll give you the full tour later, but we need to get to the head office and find out your timetable.” Sophie said as she led Chloe through the large building that looked more like a school on the inside than it did the outside.

    Even though the school looked like a large stately home from the outside, it was quite modern looking on the inside with classrooms that would put James’ old school to shame.

    Sophie and the others led Chloe down a long hallway until they came to a large double set of doors, but they turned to the left and Sophie opened another door before they reached the large double set of doors.

     “That’s Scottie’s room.” Sophie said when she saw Chloe looking at the doors.

     “Scottie’s room...?” Chloe asked looking confused.

     “Scottie, the headmistress.” Sophie said it like Chloe should already know all this.

     “Oh, you mean Miss Scott.” Chloe said as the penny finally dropped and her brain caught up with what Sophie was saying.

     “Yes, but we don’t need to use her proper name while she’s not around.” Sophie said as she had a quick look around the office to make sure Miss Scott wasn’t in there talking to another member of the staff.

     “Hello girls, don’t tell me you’ve got a problem already?” The woman behind the desk said with a smile as she closed a file and then got up to find out what they wanted.

     “Good morning Mrs Sapphire. Everything is fine, but we’ve brought Chloe Ashcroft here to get her timetable, as it’s her first day here at the school.” Sophie explained.

     “Oh yes, Miss Scott asked me to inform her when you arrived.” Mrs Sapphire said with a smile. “Please take a seat and I’ll let her know you’ve arrived.” She added as she pointed over to some seats along one of the walls.

     “You don’t need to wait with me.” Chloe said when she saw the other three all taking a seat with her. “I don’t want to make any of you late for your first classes.” She added looking worried.

     “You’ll never find your way around on your own to begin with, and I don’t trust the other students to give you the right directions.” Stacy said as she sat down right next to Chloe.

     “I have to agree with Stace on this one Chloe.” Jade said as she took a seat.

     “I don’t trust what Jane might do if she finds you wandering around alone, so I’m waiting as well.” Sophie said as she took a seat.

    Chloe smiled as she saw that the three of them really were her friends. This made her feel special, and being in school as a girl really didn’t seem that scary anymore. She still felt a chill run down her spine when the door at the other end of the office opened and Chloe saw Jennifer walk through it.

     “Good morning Ms Ashcroft, and what brings you three to my office so early in the school year?” Jennifer asked as she looked at Stacy, Sophie and Jade with a stern look only the headmistress of a school like this one could have.

    Chloe couldn’t help but stare at Jennifer, as she looked very different to how she’d looked the last couple of times Chloe had seen her. Jennifer was now in a female looking dark gray business suit that had a tight fitting pencil skirt that went down to just above the knee. She was also wearing pantyhose or stockings as Chloe could see that her legs were wrapped in a nearly black nylon fabric that vanished into a pair of black stiletto shoes.

     “We’re just waiting for Chloe to see you Miss Scott, and then we will make sure she gets to her first class okay.” Stacy answered for the three of them.

     “That’s very kind of you.” Jennifer smiled. “Come along then Ms Ashcroft and I will give you your timetable and fill you in on the rules.” Jennifer added as she helped Chloe to stand.

     “Yes Jenn... Miss Scott.” Chloe said, but had to correct herself at the last minute. She looked up at Jennifer to find her frowning down at her. “Sorry Miss Scott.” Chloe added with a sheepish look.

    Jennifer didn’t answer her; she just led her into her office and closed the door before she said a word. “I’ll let you off this time Chloe, but please try not to slip up again, or I will be forced to give you a punishment.” Jennifer warned as she led Chloe over to a chair on one side of a large desk. Jennifer then walked around to the other side and sat down herself. “The other reason is the last thing you need is for the other students to think we have some special relationship.” Jennifer added.

    Chloe looked a little hurt when Jennifer said that, because she thought they did share a special bond. “I understand Miss Scott.” Chloe said sounding a little sad.

     “We do share a special bond sweetie, but we don’t want anyone finding out outside your small group of friends.” Jennifer said with a warm smile that didn’t suit the way she was dressed with her strict looking makeup and her hair pulled back in a tight bun on the back of her head.

    Chloe was soon smiling again when she heard this and saw the smile on Jennifer’s face.

     “I see you’ve already had a run in with Ms Bridgeport as well.” Jennifer frowned, looking serious again.

     “She started it.” Chloe said in her own defence, thinking that Jennifer was about to tell her off.

     “Ms Bridgeport normally does.” Jennifer sighed. “Just be careful around her, she can be a real bitch.” Jennifer added the word ‘bitch’ in a whisper.

    Chloe looked shocked to hear Jennifer say that, but then she looked a little puzzled as to how Jennifer knew about her little coming together with Jane Bridgeport. “How did you know about me and Jane having words?”

     “CCTV.” Jennifer smiled. “I can access it on my computer, and I just happened to be checking out the main entrance when I saw Jane bump into you.” She started to explain. “I must say that I’ve never seen Jane look so shocked before, when you didn’t back down like most the students do.” Jennifer added with a grin.

     “It was just a misunderstanding over a boy called Finlay Cross.” Chloe grumbled. “She thinks I have a thing for him, but I don’t.”

     “I’m not sure if Finlay has a crush on you or your mother.” Jennifer giggled.

     “What...?” Chloe asked looking shocked.

     “Finley wants to be a writer, so when he found out that the daughter of Valarie Ashcroft was going to be starting here today, he’s been bugging me ever since for me to get him a meeting.” Jennifer explained.

     “That would explain the reason for him getting excited when I said he would need to speak with her and not me about writing then.” Chloe laughed nervously.

     “Yes it would.” Jennifer smiled. “I was thinking of asking your mother to come into the school and give a lesson on how she became a writer. I thought it would stop the other students from bugging you with questions.”

     “That would be a wonderful idea.” Chloe agreed. “I’m a little worried that someone might have seen a picture of Spirit, and realise that I’m not her real daughter.” Chloe said looking worried.

     “Your mother was very careful not to let people know she had a daughter up until now, and she has never had any photos in the press that I know off that showed Spirit to be her daughter.” Jennifer said to reassure Chloe her secret was safe.

     “I’d like to thank you for helping me and my mother do this for me.” Chloe said as she looked at Jennifer with tears in her eyes

     “It’s I that should be thanking you for saving my best friend from doing something very foolish.” Jennifer said as she got up and grabbed a tissue so Chloe could wipe her eyes.

     “Thank you Miss Scott.” Chloe smiled as she took the tissue and wiped her eyes.

     “Do you mind if I ask you a personal question Chloe?” Jennifer asked as she sat in the empty seat next to Chloe.

     “Please do Miss Scott.”

     “Did you and Spirit have anything to do with the sudden change in attitude Sophie had?”

     “Yes.” Chloe blushed. “Sophie was feeling guilt over her mother’s death, and her mother asked me to help, so Spirit and I helped Sophie talk to her mother and move on after finding forgiveness for herself.” Chloe explained.

     “Does this mean that Sophie knows your secret?” Jennifer asked looking worried.

     “Which one?” Chloe asked looking confused.

     “The being able to see ghosts and speak to them.” Jennifer frowned. “I hope we can keep the other one secret from everyone we don’t want knowing about it.”

     “Spirit did something that wiped Sophie’s memory of the talk we had with her mother, she just feels at peace with what happened, and you can see that she’s a much happier person for it.” Chloe said with a sense of pride in what she was able to do.

     “Sophie and Jade both have nothing but nice things to say about you and Stacy now, so I hope you don’t mind me placing the four of you in the same classes?” Jennifer asked happily already knowing the answer by the grin on Chloe’s face.

     “That’s wonderful.” Chloe grinned excitedly.

     “The only time you won’t be with them is when you should be doing PE, then you will go to the library and study until your next lesson.” Jennifer explained as she rose to her feet and then helped Chloe to stand. “Please come and talk to me if you have any problems with anyone.” Jennifer added.

     “Do you mean like Jane Bridgeport?” Chloe asked.

     “Yes, and anyone else, but I have a feeling that you’ll be just fine.” Jennifer said with a knowing look. “After all, you do have a guardian angel looking out for you.”

     “She’s actually my spirit guide, but I know what you mean.” Chloe grinned.

     “Have you seen any ghosts roaming around the school since you arrived here?” Jennifer asked in a whisper.

     “No, not yet, but I’ve been distracted with Jane and Finlay.” Chloe whispered back.

     “Do let me know if you find any.” Jennifer said looking excited.

     “I have a feeling that I will be seeing lots of them.” Chloe said as she could feel something all around her, but it all felt just out of reach. “I think Spirit is keeping them away from me while I settle in to my new role.” Chloe added.

    “I wouldn’t be doing my job if I didn’t help to protect my sister.” Spirit’s voice said as she appeared next to Chloe.

     “How come I can see you without touching Chloe?” Jennifer asked as she looked at Spirit dressed in a school uniform just like Chloe and the other girls in the school.

     “Hello Miss Scott.” Spirit smiled. “I’ve been promoted to junior angel in training, so I can appear real to people when I want.” She added with a smile as she let Jennifer poke her. “It will also help me keep Chloe safe when needed.”

     “Please try and keep a low profile, I don’t need my office full of students saying they saw the ghost of a young girl appear.” Jennifer warned.

     “I’ll do my best Miss Scott, but I can make people forget they ever saw me if they do.” Spirit explained.

     “Let us hope you never need to use it on anyone, now let me give you your timetable Chloe, and you better give Stacy, Sophie and Jade theirs as well.” Jennifer said as she handed Chloe four A5 sized cards with a weekly timetable on it.

     “Thank you Miss Scott.” Chloe grinned as she took the cards from her and then she left the room to join the others out in the main office. Spirit just vanished again as Jennifer watched.

     “I don’t think I’ll ever get use to that.” Jennifer said as she shook her head and returned to her desk to carry on looking through some paperwork she’d been looking at when Mrs Sapphire called her and said that Chloe was out in the main office.

*****

     “How did it go?” Stacy asked when she saw Chloe walk out of the Headmistress’s office.

     “It went fine, and she’s placed us all in the same classes because we’re all friends.” Chloe said as she handed the three girls copies of the time table that Jennifer had given her.

     “That’s so cool...!” Sophie said a little too loud. “Sorry.” She added when Mrs Sapphire gave her a stern look.

     “Please keep the noise down and make your way to you homerooms before you’re all late.” Mrs Sapphire said, but she didn’t look angry with them.

     “Yes ma’am.” All four girls said as they picked up their bags and then left the office.

    Chloe walked with Stacy at her side behind Sophie and Jade. Chloe could see the close bond between Sophie and Jade, just like she had with Stacy, and together they had a good friendship forming, something Chloe had never known before.

    Sophie and Jade led them into a classroom and then they all took over one corner of the room as they sat down and waited for the teacher to arrive.

    Chloe felt nervous again when she saw some of the other students looking at her, but she knew to expect it with being a new face in the school.

     “Don’t let it bother you Chloe. “Sophie said as she placed a hand on Chloe’s shoulder from where she was sat with Jade just behind her and Stacy. “You’re just a new face for them to look at; they will soon get used to you being here.”

     “I hope so.” Chloe said nervously.

    Chloe was glad to see the teacher arrive in the room and tell all the students to find a seat and face the front of the classroom so he could take the register.

    The teacher was soon calling out names, and Chloe tried to put a face to each name, but she was soon looking at one girl on the other side of the room when the teacher called out the name Susan Smith. Susan Smith was the name she’d used when she went to the hospital for her tests last week. Chloe wondered if this was the same Susan Smith that was intersexed and had been raised as a boy until they found out he was really a girl with a birth defect. The girl looked just like all the other girls did in the class, just a little shy, or was it nerves.

    Chloe was snapped out of her thoughts when Stacy poked her in the arm to let her know that the teacher was calling out her name.

     “Here Sir...!” Chloe called out as the rest of the class had a little laugh over her daydreaming.

     “Please try to pay more attention in future Ms Ashcroft.” The teacher said sounding bored with it all already.

     “Sorry Sir.” Chloe said as she looked down so no one saw her blushing with embarrassment. She was soon stealing looks across the room at the girl called Susan Smith though. Chloe wondered how she felt, and if it was anything like she did at the minute.

*****

 

To Be Continued Next Tuesday  GRIN

 

Story by SaraUK

 

Edited and Posted by SamanthaK

    EDITORS NOTE: Please Comment and/or leave Kudos and let Sara know you like her work please, Any comments on spelling, grammar or the layout of the story please PM me “Samanthak” not Sara. Thank you

up
180 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Chloe

Looks like Chloe is off to a girls' usual start in a new school- already meeting the schools' 'better than you' and stuck up female, and lots of people looking at the new student.

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm

Well, looks as if Chloe has

already set the stage for the school year for her and her friends.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

A meeting with the Queen Wasp

... always a great way to start the day. Not.

At least Chloe won't back down. She does have to be careful though. I had to be cautious with other bitches too when I was pre-op but I believe she has been surgically disguised for now supposedly but still she might be a little more vulnerable being kicked down there.

Kim