Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1130.

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1130
by Angharad

Copyright © 2010 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

Sunday, was a family day, a mixture of chores and interactions in the household. Simon washed the cars helped by Danny and Julie: she also washed her scooter thing.

I washed all sorts of things, including the laundry aided and abetted by Trish and Livvie, who took it in turns to fill and empty the machine, sort the washing and fold it afterwards. Between them they can even cope with a sheet or duvet cover and we have a large machine, which wouldn’t look out of place in a hotel or commercial laundry. Simon and Tom bought it between them when it became obvious that our burgeoning family needed more than the old Hotpoint Tom had had for years.

Billie and Meems were helping me wash down the kitchen, they can get down to skirting boards and the bottom of doors more easily than I can. We were accompanied by the delicious smell of bread baking as we worked, which did nothing for my recent resolution to eat less and exercise more.

The final act of ablution was for me to wash the floor, which I did, restoring it to its pristine condition–I’m lying, but it was cleaner than before. Simon and his car wash team were instructed to enter by the front door to avoid walking near the wet kitchen floor. Unfortunately, I hadn’t told Tom, who’d taken Kiki for a walk and her great big spaniel sized feet left footprints all over the kitchen floor. Some days I really don’t know why I bother.

I was cooking a roast lunch, a leg of Welsh lamb, the cooker helped the floor to dry after I re-mopped it following Kiki’s dance all over it. We ate the aforementioned piece of meat with all the trimmings–fresh made mint sauce, roast spuds, roast carrots, cauliflower and the last of the runner beans from the garden. We were all so stuffed, I wondered if I should resolve to eat more and exercise less–it seemed easier. There was ice cream for pudding, which I did resist, which was more than Simon did: he had my portion as well.

We all went for a walk that late afternoon which was quite warm, although there was rain forecast and it arrived after we got back. It teemed down all night, and at one point, Simon and I lay listening to the rain lashing against the windows.

When I was a kid, I used to love hearing the rain, and sometimes would even sit in the car by myself listening to it, until I fell asleep, which I invariably did. Listening to it with Simon, took me back to my childhood and gave me a sense of security, lying there in his arms. I slept well that night and tiny wee didn’t wake until nearly six, when Simon had to rise anyway.

I fed her while he showered and then made us both a cuppa–he has his uses now and again. I changed the baby and brought her down while he had his breakfast; I had some toast while I watched her in the recliner.

Simon left at quarter to seven, promising to get the transfer to Portsmouth up and running in November or early December. I suppose it could be my early birthday present, and it really would be, I do miss him when he’s up in London.

I put the baby down for another sleep, and showered myself before rousing the girls, then Julie and Danny. They all showered and I sorted various hair styles, dressing as they showered. Once that was done, Jenny, who’d come down, helped with breakfasts and agreed to take the girls to school while I continued pressuring Danny’s school to return his stolen football boots. I was quite looking forward to seeing Mr Edwards squirm, because I was sure he hadn’t recovered them yet.

I sat in the car waiting for the school to do registrations and assembly, then settle down to lessons. I waited for twenty minutes, listening to Radio 4 and Start the Week: then I strolled into the school and to Mr Edwards door, upon which I knocked.

I was quite surprised when a strange man opened the door. “Yes, what d’ya want?”

“I wanted to speak with Mr Edwards.”

“He’s not here.”

“I can see that.”

“You are?”

“I’m Cathy Cameron, who are you?”

“Inspector Old, Hampshire Constabulary; what did you want him for?”

“My son had his brand new football boots taken from the changing room last week, Mr Edwards was trying to recover them.”

“Right, hang on, I saw a pair of boots in a bag just now.” He disappeared back into the office and came out with a clear plastic bag containing a pair of boots and Danny’s name on it. “Just a minute, these belong to Danny Maiden.”

“Yes, my son–he’s adopted and we didn’t change his name.”

“I suppose I can trust you.”

“I did mention football boots before you picked them up.”

“Okay, here y’are then.”

“Why are the police here, and where is Mr Edwards?”

“Look, Mrs Maiden–no, it was...”

“Cameron, Cathy Cameron.”

“That name sounds familiar, we haven’t met before have we?”

“Not that I’m aware.”

“I’ve got it, it’s not the name that’s familiar, it’s you on the posters in the bank, isn’t it?”

I blushed, not many people seem to recognise me from them. “Yes, you’re very astute.”

“Ah, I’m good with faces–now you were holding some small furry thing–um, oh yeah, a dormouse.”

“I’m very impressed with your powers of observation and recall.”

“It’s me job, I’m a detective, so observation’s part of me work.”

“I’m a scientist and it’s part of mine too. I also ask questions, so where is Mr Edwards–not run off with the school funds, I hope?”

“He ain’t running anywhere any more, you have your boots, I think you’d better go.”

“Very well, thank you, Inspector Old.”

“Nice to meet you, Mrs Cameron.”

I took the boots back to the car and went on to the local radio station where apart from inane pop music, there was more likelihood of hearing if something was amiss at the school.

I had arrived at home and was parking the car when the ten o’clock news came on. ’News is still coming in about the suspicious death of a teacher from Portsmouth who was found at his home late last night having apparently drowned in his own fish pond. Police are still at his home and haven’t released his identity. Local sources suggest it’s a Mr Reg Edwards, a teacher in Portsmouth, aged fifty one. We hope to have more news on that in our later bulletins. On to the weekend sport...’

So he was dead, a coincidence or what? Was it an accident–maybe he’d had a drink and fell into his fishpond, or was he pushed? My curiosity was piqued to say the least although I realised that as a breast-feeding mother of a two month old baby, I wasn’t most suited to investigating someone’s sudden death, but it concerned me because I’d met the man and although he was a trifle pompous, he had got the boots back, so maybe we owed him.

I went into the house deep in thought. “Oh you got them back then?” said Stella.

“What?”

“Danny’s football boots, you got them back?” she pointed at the bag.

“Yes, but the man who recovered them is dead.”

“Dangerous was it?”

“What?”

“Getting them back.”

“I have no idea, but I do intend to find out,” I said firmly, putting the boots on the kitchen floor.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
207 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Sleuthing!

So, the Deputy Head is dead (oops, dreadful pun!). What's mysterious is that he seemed an OK chap, it was the games teacher, Mr. Bailey, who appeared to have something to hide.

I wonder if Danny's a fan of TV detective shows? Obviously, he can't exactly do much snooping of his own, but if he was alert to any changes in staff behaviour. Or maybe, just maybe, we can get Kiki to do some sniffing around (literally!). After all, she's about the only member of the household who hasn't been the main focus of a story arc yet...

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

No... Don't say it...

I guess it's a good thing that Mr. Edwards was the Deputy, else it's obvious he'd be a Dead Head....

Now this is some strange

Now this is some strange twists and turns in the saga of Cathy and her "crew". I wonder if the teams teacher was into more than simply having new football boots taken from students, and Cathy putting up all the fuss about the boots was bringing too much heat down on him and others?

a ha

Maddy Bell's picture

its Cathy Clouseau!

The initials match, Cameron is only an alias!
 
 

Maddy_bell_Image1_0.jpg    

Maddy Bell
http://maddybell.com


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

I hope she…

…doesn't end up getting a “Beump on ze ’ead” as Clouseau might say.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Well, I must ask

Does 'er doog bite? As Clouseau might ask...

Well, she's far to young...

She's far to young (Cathy, that is) to be Miss Marple. So, maybe she'll do a "Nancy Drew" for us? :-)

Quite an interesting episode here. I do wonder where you've got things going though.

Thanks,
Anne

Sherlock Cameron

I suppose there's no point in telling Cathy to leave it to 'Old Nick'?

Is this the end of the current run of peace and quiet?

Susie

Leave it to Portsmouth Plod?

That's the best joke I've heard all evening!

In the Bikeverse (Bike Universe), they are generally about as competent as this force...

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

The End Of Peace, Beginning Of War.

I knew that this could not last. Maybe she should be teaching little bit "wax on wax off".

Gwendolyn

Well, this is...

...a fine kettle of fish. Or, make that a fishpond, that you've dropped him into. Certainly fishy business! I wonder if Izzy had a paw in this development.

Did Edwards recover Danny's football boots, or was he a Fagin-like figure in the school who received them? The plot thickens.

Thanks A+B+I (Roast lamb and trimmings): Edwards' demise is an unforeseen turn-up—in the story and of his toes. How you manage to come up with all these twists and turns in the storyline is a source of constant amazement. And probably one of the reasons I keep coming back for my daily fix of Bike.

Piscine Stuff


Bike Resources

Bike pt 1130.

Considering Cathy's resources,, she should be able to solve the mystery that hopefully does not involve the Russian Mafia.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Angharad, you make my day...

Reading my daily dose of doormouse every evening is a highpoint of my day. Thank you for sharing your wonderful storytelling with us.

A Mystery

The next chapters will be interesting.
I wonder what happened.

I can hear the music now!

How fitting.

What a great scene of family domesticity. And washing the cars had to bring more rain to put a perfect end to the perfect day.

Now I wonder which one, or which group of the school bullies, (Jocks?) of course is involved in what (Drugs?) and which one did him in. I remember Julie nearly getting into major trouble, and there have been so many incidents of street crime mentioned. Where's the Inspector when you need pink?

Very Strange

Being found dead in your fishpond, Does seem rather a coincidence that it was only after Cathy came looking for Dannys boots that it all happened ...... Wonder what vipers nest she might have uncovered here!!!

Kirri

I think we all knew it wouldn't be long.

Now we're all waiting for the other shoe, (boot,) to drop.
I hope Cathy 'milks' this for all it's worth.

Still lovin' it.

Love and hugs.

OXOXOX.

Beverly.

bev_1.jpg

Is Angharad Welsh for Agatha?

Is your last name anything that sounds like Christie? OTOH, Cameron doesn't sound at all like Marple so I guess I'm totally on the wrong track, eh?

Thank you again, Ang! I'm having a great old time following along with you. As usual, the story is great!

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

New enterprise for Cathy ?

Dormouse Investigations
Cathy Watts Chief Investigator

(smiles)

Odd, but deadly,

What are the odds the shoes and the murder are related.

Stupid question or what?

Ding Dong the Head is Dead ! cut me some slack sheeh

Ok, who took the strawberries, sorry, I mean the soccer boots. Maybe some hard case stuck Mr Edwards' face in the Koi pond. Roosian Maffia! Here we go again.

Cefin