Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1931

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1931
by Angharad

Copyright © 2013 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

Danny came home from his bike ride without his friend, who’d gone home. “Good day?” I asked him.

“Yeah, s’okay, I s’pose.”

“Your friend seemed a nice boy.”

“Yeah, he’s okay.”

“Well I thought he was quite polite.”

“Yeah, he liked you too–thought you were sexy–his mum’s about ninety five.”

“Don’t be ridiculous, Danny, if he’s the same age as you, the oldest she could be is about fifty and I suspect probably much younger.”

“Compared to you she looks so dowdy and old.”

“I probably have a better clothing allowance.”

“But you still have your hair cut nice and haven’t got as fat as loads of other parents have.”

“Sometimes that’s a matter of luck.”

“Yeah, if you’re lucky you won’t eat so much and become a pig.”

“I don’t like this conversation any longer.”

He simply shrugged and went up to his room.

Sunday, came and went. I watched Brian Cox’s documentary and enjoyed it. He was quite right, life is all about energy potentials and gradients–quite literally. Once they happen they produce the opportunity for the rest to happen–natural selection and evolution do the rest. The superstar geek got to visit umpteen different countries including the Philippines and Borneo. I think it helped to have some idea of chemistry and physics, especially the second law of thermodynamics which is about heat transfer and entropy reaching equilibrium if I recall, it’s a while since I did it. He maintains living organisms/systems take in pure high grade energy and give out heat, which is poor energy, however, we retain enough of the quality energy to replicate our DNA which only makes one mistake every billion characters–DNA being resistant to change under normal circumstances. All good stuff, he also demonstrated evolution by isolation of a lake in the Philippines where the golden jellyfish is found. It’s different to any other jellyfish because it has done away with its stinging tentacles and instead has absorbed algae which it then exposes to sunlight. The symbiotic relationship means the algae is exposed as much as possible to sunshine during the day, the jellyfish track the sun swimming into whatever light is available, and in return the algae produces glucose which the jellyfish needs to fuel it. Darwin would have loved it, I did.

Monday was back to the routine–Simon and Sammi went off to town to work–this after he brought the investment bank to Portsmouth, then gets saddled with running the retail arm. As I mentioned before, Phoebe went off to Neal who called her just before I was due to take her to college. He came and collected her and I called the college to explain why she wouldn’t be in.

She had some misgivings about going, not to the cemetery, rather to staying with Neal, especially now that Glo had a baby.

I got on with organising the dinner. I was doing a huge cottage pie and had half a ton of potatoes boiling, having spent ages peeling them. While they were boiling, I cooked the mince with mushrooms and onions and plenty of garlic, which I adore in savoury food. It’s supposed to have all sorts of medicinal properties but I just like the taste. I don’t drown the food in it, but I doubt the local vampire would want to eat it.

Over the next half an hour I mashed, then creamed the potato, then tipping the mince out into a large baking tin, I spread the potato on top of it, added some sliced tomato and put it in the oven to brown the top. It would have about twenty minutes. Then I’d dish up about twenty portions some of which would go into plastic tubs for the freezer.

I’d feed the kids when Julie came home, but would wait for Simon, Sammi and Tom before I had mine. While the pie was browning, I heated a whole kilo bag of frozen peas. We cook on an industrial scale.

As soon as Julie had arrived and changed, I began dishing up and the stampede to the table began. It was quiet while they ate, but only Julie asked why I wasn’t eating and when I explained, she nodded. “I coulda waited.”

“Don’t worry.”

“Where’s Phoebe?” she asked.

“Gone to Neal’s for a couple of days.”

“She coulda said.”

“I think it was all a bit short notice.”

She looked at me as if I wasn’t telling her everything. I wasn’t.

“What’s she gone for?”

“I told you a couple of days.”

“Why?”

“They were having some sort of headstone put up for their mother.”

“Cor, that’s taken a long time.”

“I believe it does. Anyway, they were driving up to Salisbury with Glo and dedicating the headstone or whatever people do.”

“Okay, mind if I watch some telly.”

Simon and Sammi arrived almost simultaneously with Tom. He’d been in a meeting all afternoon, whereas I’d knocked off in time to collect the girls. I pulled out the plated portions of cottage pie and added peas to them. We’d just settled down to eat when I saw headlights in the drive and a minute later Phoebe came in, she looked upset. I put my meal back in the slow oven.

“Problems?” I asked and we went down to my study.

“Neal is a pig and Gloria and that bloody piglet just got up my nose, so I came home–is that all right?”

“Of course–have you eaten?”

“Um–not since lunch time.”

“C’mon, I’ve got some spare cottage pie if Simon hasn’t eaten it all.” Fortunately he hadn’t, but only because his mobile went off as he finished his first trawl of the food. I rescued my own plate before it dried up after dishing up some for Phoebe.

“Where’s Jacquie?” she asked looking round the table.

“She’s gone off on a course–I finally managed to talk her into going.”

“What’s she doing?”

“She’s doing an intensive access course at Salisbury.”

“I didn’t know they even did them.”

“Yeah, she’ll be tied up for about two weeks if she can stick the pace.”

“I sometimes wonder if I’d have been better off going back and doing my A levels.”

“I did try to persuade you to do just that.”

“I know, it’s too late for this year so I might as well stay where I am–at least I’ll have a fallback position.”

“And you’ll be sure if you do go back that it’s what you really want to do.”

“Yeah, I s’pose. Sometimes I think I’d like to study something completely different like biology.”

“Better get mugged up on the second law of thermodynamics then.”

“I said biology not physics.” She sounded a bit irritated.

“Absolutely–I recorded Brian Cox’s programme last night–I think you’d be advised to watch it, it’s about the building blocks of life.”

“Yeah, what has that to do with thermal dynamos?” The misquote was quite deliberate and designed to provoke me.

“Because it’s how life came to happen here.”

“Oh, even dormice?”

“Even dormice.”

“I’d better go and watch it then,” with that she departed the table and went into the lounge.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
218 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Always enjoy my EAFOAB episode

Even when it's just normal family activities. This is a fun family to watch.

Danny best be very careful,

talking about women. If his sisters ever hear what he said to their mum, who knows how thet'd retaliate in defense of Cathy and themselves?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Uh, oh...

I do hope Phoebe's action doesn't cause friction between Cathy and Neal...

Other things happening? Just a wee bit. The dinner sounds interesting. Not one I've had though. Apparently the family enjoys it. :-)

Thanks,
Annette

Wow, when does she ever get on a bike any more

She has taken on an enormous burden of about 17 people. I am surprised she does not get an industrial oven where she can turn an entire pig on a spit. With 18 people, an entire ham would be just right for one meal.

Kim

I have a question

What is mince? On the colony side of the pond, we have mince meat pie, a sweet dessert at holiday time. That is a fruit base. Is mince a finely ground meat like beef or pork or something else? My wife looked it up on Wiki and I am more confused than ever.

Help me please.

Much Love,

Valerie R

It can be confusing

Angharad's picture

mincemeat is a sweetmeat made from fruit and spices and used in such things as mince pies.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mincemeat

Minced meat or mince, as we Brits call it, is minced meat ie beef, pork, turkey etc put through a mincer. It can be used in all sorts of recipes including pasta dishes such as spaghetti bolognaise and the Scottish favourite mince 'n' tatties.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_meat

More of the two countries separated by the same language.

Angharad

Whats the matter with

Danny? He comes in from school and does not seem his old self, Has a little chat with his mother who does not like the way the conversation went, And he just shrugs his shoulders and goes upstairs .... Poor Danny when love hits it hits hard... At least i hope its love because the only other thing i could think of was he is in trouble somewhere or somehow...

Cottage Pie, One of my all time favourite dishes , I made one my self last week only difference to Cathys was mine being a cheats version, Not for me peeling a pile of potatoes, Instead i went down the path of buying frozen mashed potato, Browned the mince added some frozen veg, Made some gravy poured it over added a little seasoning arranged the frozen mashed potato on top and put it in the oven.... Must have taken me all of ten minutes :-)

Kirri

Another day in the life of ...

It seems her brood is getting unruly while cathy still has to sort out the logistics. Cathy would make a good commander in the Logistics corps.

Good story Ang.

XXX

Bev.

bev_1.jpg