Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1019.

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1019
by Angharad

Copyright © 2010 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

I volunteered to go and get the girls which he seemed happy with, and I wanted to do some shopping as well. I left after lunch seeing as he was doing my chores for me–did that experience with the Russians change him? Duh–it’s Simon, and a Cameron never changes his pedigree (far too posh for spots).

I’d changed into a summer dress with a thin shower proof jacket over it just in case. However, the way the sun was shining, it was unlikely to get used. It didn’t, I left if on the passenger seat while I popped into one or two shops.

As I was coming out of one shop, I was sure I saw Julie walking ahead of me in a very busy conversation on her mobile phone. I wondered if that could be with someone I know rather intimately? I was willing to bet a pound to a penny it was, and by the animated conversation and her expression, it wasn’t going too well. Now then, do I let her see me or not?

She had walked straight past me, in her miniskirt and footless tights with a loose fitting shirt thing over the top of it. Her sequinned bag would give her away even if she was trying to hide.

I was looking for ideas for a new outfit, she was going in and out of antique shops. What had they broken? Perhaps it was Tom they should be hiding from, not me? I haven’t got any heirlooms at the house, well except the tablecloth and that was on the table. Wasn’t it? I thought for a moment–I’d straightened up the flower arrangement, was it there then? Sure it was–that’s why I had a vase of roses to match it. For a moment, my heart was all aflutter, then I calmed down.

I decided not to follow Julie, especially when I saw some interesting things in a little boutique that looked my sort of shop. It’s not true that women are born to shop, we can’t get there by ourselves until we’re old enough to be allowed out alone, and then there is the question of money. So it’s something most of us discover from seven or eight upwards. My girls love to shop, whereas the boys will for videogames or sports things–but we go there and straight back. They don’t much like to browse, which the girls do.

I looked at my watch–damn, I had to go and collect my pretties from their educational establishment. I turned back out of the shop doorway and nearly bumped straight into Julie.

Mummy–um what are you doing here?”

“I could ask you the same question.”

“Um–I’m shopping.”

“Well there’s a surprise, I thought you were going to try walking across the harbour after curing Maureen the other night.”

“Me? I just sat and talked with her until they threw me out–you were still with the kids, so I got a taxi home.”

“I see, sorry about that–what’s in the bag?”

“Oh just a skirt.”

“Can I see it?” I asked knowing it was unlikely to be one.

“When I get home, I’m not sure I’m gonna keep it yet.”

“So show it to me then.”

“Um–I’d rather not until I’ve tried it with some other stuff.”

“Oh, okay–what colour is it?” I tormented her.

“It’s sort of red.”

“Long or short?”

“Haven’t you got to collect the girls?”

I looked at my watch, “Oops, yes, are you coming with me?”

“Um–no thanks, I want to look for a top.”

“Okay, see you later, sweetheart.” I hugged her and walked briskly back to my car.

I collected the girls and began my inquisition of Trish, “What was Daddy washing in the machine last night?”

“I dunno, he didn’t know which button to press to start it–he also hadn’t put any detergent in it.”
“Why not?”

“He thought ‘cos it says automatic, it does it all automatically by itself.”

“So you did it for him?”

“Yeah, Auntie Stella was upstairs sorting out Puddin’–I ‘spect she woulda known, wouldn’t she?”

I actually didn’t know, but I agreed with Trish’s surmise because it saved a whole load of discussion which would have been pure speculation.

“So, how was school today, girls?” I asked and we had a more meaningful conversation.

“Sister Maria gave me a note for you, Mummy.”

“Did she–you haven’t done anything, have you?”

“No, it’s about speech day I think.”

“When’s that?”

“End of June, I think she said.”

“So she told you what the letter was about?”

“No–I opened it and read it–course she told me.”

“Trish please don’t speak to me like that–it’s not nice.”

“Sorry, Mummy.”

“I should think so. Now if you get your homework done in time, I’ll order some pizzas.” They all shouted in support of the suggestion. I was pretty sure there was a jacket potato I could have. I just don’t like pizza–it’s junk on a cardboard base.

“What does Sister Maria want you to do, Mummy?” asked Trish.

“Present some prizes, I think, why?”

“Just wondered.”

“You pwesentin’ pwizes, Mummy?”

“Probably, I’ll have to check my diary and see if it clashes with doing the washing.”

Trish laughed loudly at this statement, closely followed by Livvie.

“Why’s you waffin’ at me?” protested Mima.

“We’re not, stoopid–we’re waffin’ at Mummy, she was jokin’–okay?”

“Trish, don’t be mean to your sister.”

“I wasn’t–she was being dim.”

“I’m not dim–you’re dim and stupid,” fired back Mima.

“Girls please. You are supposed to be gentlefolk, please act like it.”

This had all three of them laughing hysterically. Maybe I should try being a stand-up comedienne for kids–the secret is to say things which appear to be totally unfunny to me, and they howl with laughter. Come to think of it, so do most adults–mmm, back to the drawing pin–see what I mean?

I parked the car, and not having bought anything meant I didn’t have to carry it home. I followed the girls into the house where we met Julie. “Tried on the skirt?” I asked.

“No, I took it back, didn’t really like the colour.”

It was obvious she was lying, she avoided eye contact–although teenage girls tend to sneak eye contact, they usually look at their feet. However she was blushing and I just know she was lying–maybe it was the fact that her nose grew about four feet.

If her nose did grow four feet, would it start to run? I had no idea where that stupid question came from, but it sort of reminded me I had been a schoolkid.

I made the girls a drink and they went into the dining room to start their homework and I went to order the pizzas, when I mentioned it, Simon–bless him–offered to pay. Now I know something has happened.

The boys were already doing their homework on the table and they and the girls ignored each other. It puzzled me for a moment until I realised that was how they were–they didn’t acknowledge each other without a reason. Oh well.

I looked at the table, they had books propped up on my damask table cloth. “Don’t get ink on that cloth, will you?”

They all replied with a groan that they wouldn’t. “Wassup with ‘er?” asked Danny.

“Dunno–fell off her broomstick, I s’pose,” answered Trish. If I hadn’t been laughing so much I’d have punished her.

“You cheeky little maggot,” I chided her, which made them all laugh even more. “That cloth is a family heirloom and I don’t want ink on it–it’s supposed to be roses, not inkspots.”

“Funny lookin’ roses,” said Danny.

“What do you mean?”

“It’s birds and fairies.”

“What?” I gasped and walked up to the cloth. It was too. “SIMON,” I yelled but I think I just heard his car start.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
158 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Bike pt 1019.

Somebody in trouble.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Wine on the Table Clotth?

Well, cold water would take that out, right? These guys are so commical!

K

I knew it!

It was the tablecloth - and Simon's little scheme has completely and utterly unravelled. So Simon's disappeared in search of the pizzas, so that leaves Stella and Julie who probably know what happened to the tablecloth. Julie will probably have to be dealt with very sensitively - the last thing we need is her to fall apart and try to run away or harm herself again, so Stella's probably the best bet to reveal what's going on.

I predict Cathy will be disappointed with Stella and Simon - not so much over the damage itself but over the deception.

 


EAFOAB Episode Summaries

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Softly dawn

The light of day! Sometimes Cathy is as thick as the best of them!


I went outside once. The graphics weren' that great.

A Heinous Crime

You can run but you can't hide. You'd think that the Cameron clan would know by now that retribution is swift and painful.

Susie

Parenthood is good practice for death

Puddintane's picture

...because it's almost certain that you'll leave at least half of your worldly goods behind you as you go on. Crockery, glassware, Aunt Martha's stereopticon, all goes smash sooner or later with kids around. Only way around it is to lock either goods or children in a closet and never let them out.

It's best to be philosophical,

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

Not just children...

Thankfully Kiki tends to be restricted to the kitchen when in the house, but dogs are very good at introducing people to the process of making accidental damage claims on their household insurance. Puppies will (given half a chance) chew almost anything, and labradors in particular have very little concept of spatial awareness, and you do not put anything precious within a four foot radius of their tail. They're also very good at "helping" with the gardening, and don't understand the concept of wiping their paws on the mat when entering the home...

 


EAFOAB Episode Summaries

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

True

Puddintane's picture

I once owned a very nice mug, bowl, and plate set from my childhood which featured pictures of the then mascots of Berkeley Farms Dairy. My cat of the time, a former stray appropriately named Scroungy, decided to have a tea party on its shelf near a window, but the poor dear didn't have opposable thumbs and managed to drop each one off the shelf and to the floor, where they lay in pieces very much the worse for wear. All in all, I had more joy of the cat than I ever did the crockery.

Cheers,

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

Tablecloth

<crystalballgazing>

“Simon?” I asked sweetly, “what’s happened to my heirloom tablecloth?”

“Oh that?” he replied, refusing to look at me. “Erm, it’s now... sort of... erm, tie-dyed, with a red wine colour.”

“Red wine?” I enquired, “Merlot, Shiraz, Beaujolais or Burgundy?”

“Actually, it was a Pinot Noir, a particularly good vintage.”

“Yeah? So was my tablecloth!”

</crystalballgazing>

Lovely stuff A&B. Thanks for continuing to produce these addictive episodes.

Pretend Seer


Bike Archive

simon

bless 'im, 'e prolly used 'ot water and chlorine bleach, to try to clean it, and thats after letting it soak a while since it was automatic.

I have a hunch that Simon

I have a hunch that Simon will be needing the blue light very soon, after Cathy gets done with him. This is what happens when you are brought up being waited on hand and foot or always having your Mother or sisters doing the work. Males generally don't know anything about washing clothes or linens properly or even sorting them by types and colors. 'It is women's work'. Yep, right up the point that you are living on your own someplace. Jan

Heirlooms

Heirlooms are just things and things get broken all the time. Most broken things can be mended. I thought Cathy was more concerned with mending kids both those who are physically ill and those who are just hurt. (Like five little beauties at home and an older specimen.)

Yes, I know family 'heirlooms' can have emotional value but kids are always more important and they have much more emotional value.

Just think of the kids as 'heirlooms' Cathy! They're much more important and eventually, most of them prove to be more rewarding.

This chapter looks like a 'resting period' between the fruitful, wilder periods. All creation needs resting periods.

It's still good though for it explores the minuatae of family relationships.

Way to go Cathy.

Still loving it.

OXOXOX

Beverly.

bev_1.jpg

It was the table cloth !

Where is the chap from Oz. the one with a bowl of hot water and magic soap?
Doesn't an Aussie accent make you believe him ?
Bet Simon wishes he was down under right now.

Cefin