Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1068.

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1068
by Angharad

Copyright © 2010 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

I woke the next morning determined that Simon could have the pleasure of baby sitting. Julie would be there, she was still on sick leave from the salon, so he wouldn’t be on his own, Tom was about as well so between them they should be able to cope. The alternative was to place Trish in charge, but I wasn’t sure I wanted my own inadequacies as a housekeeper and parent shown up.

I had a reason for my subterfuge, Stella and I were going shopping in Southampton. She quickly warmed to the idea over an early breakfast, and we were gone practically before the others were awake.

I’d chosen Southampton because it had more of the particular shops I wanted to visit and because I knew I might be trying things on, I dressed accordingly, some fairly low court shoes, no stockings or tights, a wrap around skirt and a thin cotton top plus some of my nicer underwear.

After parking the car for the day–that was going to double the cost of my purchase–how can these car park people sleep at night? As the old joke goes, ‘At least Dick Turpin had the decency to wear a mask when he robbed you.’

Actually he was a thug who murdered several people including an old woman whose brains he dashed against a chimney breast because she wouldn’t tell him where her money was. He was hanged–just desserts in those days.

We then had to have a cup of coffee and a cake before we moved on to the main event–shopping. The latte was okay and the almond slice was nice but I needed to get stuck in or I’d give up. Stella grasped my elbow and we set off for our day of exploration.

In the first shop we tried, I thought the prices were far too high and the merchandise too fiddly for my taste–Stella muttered at me as we left.

“Look, Stella, even if I saw what I was looking for, I’d still want to see the other shops just in case they had something even nicer.”

“Or cheaper, knowing you. I can tell you were born in Scotland.”

“The price is important but not at the expense–no pun intended–of everything else. If I see what I want then we’ll look at the others and come back if nothing beats it.”

“So what are you looking for exactly?” she queried.

“I’ll tell you when I see it.”

“That really helps me to help you find it,” she muttered.

“Look, you’re here as a second opinion, for which I shall buy you a reasonable lunch.”

“Not a slap up meal then?”

“No, with me it’s simple bribery and poor luncheon.”

She groaned, obviously suitably impressed and we went on to the next shop.

“That would suit you,” she suggested pointing at a mannequin.

“It isn’t really what I wanted.”

“Never mind, try it on.”

“You serious?” I challenged.

“Absolutely.”

So I did, unfortunately they had a fourteen in stock, and I admit I was more impressed than I thought I’d be. But it wasn’t what I wanted. The trouble was I knew what I had in mind but I couldn’t describe it.

I tried on something else which I like better but she didn’t–I thought she had taste, perhaps I was wrong. Mind you it was a bit tight over the bum–so did it look big in this–yes it did. On to the next emporium.

Whoever says they really enjoy shopping, could be telling fibs. My little toes were getting sore, so I had to stop at a chemist’s shop and buy some blister plasters and stick them on my toes. It felt much better–my own stupid fault, wearing a tight shoe without stockings on a warm day. They were bound to rub.

Shop number three had some lovely stock but the only one I liked they didn’t have in my size, I did squeeze into a twelve which Stella liked, but I’d never be able to breathe in while wearing it.

Shop four had exactly what I wanted but not in my size–in fact they only had one and that was a poxy size ten, that’s okay if you’re an anorexic dwarf, but not for me. The woman offered to get me one in two weeks, but I declined for now.

The fifth shop was very disappointing and we went for some badly needed lunch and an even more needed rest for my sore toes. In a pub called the Duke of —ellington, which some vandal had removed the ‘W’, perhaps a jazz fan–we settled down to have, steak and ale pie with new potatoes and salad. Stella sipped a buck’s fizz, whilst I rehydrated with a lemonade and orange juice.

“Did you tell the others what you were looking for?” asked Stella.

“Nope.”

“Why not?”

“Because we’d have had at least five volunteers to help us and we’d have got nowhere fast.”

“We aren’t now are we?”

“We don’t appear to be do we–still we have at least four more shops to do.”

“But how can you possibly find something you can’t even recognise?”

“I shall recognise it, I just can’t describe it.”

“A fiver says you don’t.” Stella decided to try and call my perceived bluff.

“A tenner says I will, although I can’t guarantee they’ll have my size.”

“Fair enough, a tenner it is.” We shook hands and the bet was sealed.

The pie was okay, though I suspected I could make a better one myself–at least I didn’t have to cook it. We finished our drinks and set off for more shops.

In the next three, despite there being a huge selection, nothing took my eye. The fourth was actually closed when we got there–how frustrating. According to the notice, they closed at lunch time on Saturdays. Wonderful.

As we strolled back, I went in a charity shop, as much as anything to see if they had any shoes in my size as my toes were rubbed raw, even with the plasters. I found some hardly worn casuals and bought them on the spot.

“Seen this, Cathy?” Stella pointed to a dummy in the window. She was joking but as soon as I saw it, I knew it was the one.

“What size is that dress?” I asked pointing to it.

“A twelve I think, want to try it?”
“If you don’t mind, I should.”

“Gi’me a couple of minutes.” The elderly lady cleared the window and pulled the dummy out, then proceeded to undress it and after some ten minutes, she passed me the dress. “Fittin’ room’s in the corner.”

Stella throughout this operation was sniggering quietly to herself–I could hear her in my mind–‘a charity shop’–she’d say in a voice which Dame Edith Evans would be pleased to produce as a Lady Bracknell character.

I struggled into the dress, it was big enough or would have been comfortably so if Stella hadn’t forced me to eat the profiteroles with cream. She practically made me eat them so she could have the lemon meringue.

“You alright in there m’dear?” asked the elderly shop assistant.

“Fine, thank you, the zip is harder to do up than I thought.”

“What size shoe are you?” she enquired as she pulled the zip up to the top of the neck.

“Six, why?”

“I think we have the originals to match it, hold on, I’ll look.”

I waited and could hear Stella tapping her heels as she got bored looking at the books. The old lady reappeared, “You’re in luck, they’re a six.” I slipped them on and they were so soft. I looked at myself in the mirror once more then stepped out into the shop, Stella was looking out of the window watching the traffic.

“Well–what do you think?”

“Sorry,” she muttered as she spun around. “Oh my giddy aunt–that’s it, Cathy–that is it.”

I agreed entirely, so I bought my wedding dress and shoes for twenty five quid. Next week, we would bring the girls and organise the bridesmaid’s dresses and order Danny’s kilt.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
163 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Here Comes The...

Oh, my giddy aunt, indeed! We have a bride! Well, a repeat bride, anyway. They are, after all, already married.

But, this go 'round shall be a bit more ornamental! Do we have a date, yet? Need any more bridesmaids?

Meanwhile, when Henry hears what a brilliant shopper his daughter in law is, I full expect some properly humorous dialog. That's 25 quid, less the tenner that Stella lost in the bet, for the dress AND the shoes!

___________________
If a picture is worth 1000 words, this is at least part of my story.

Not bad going!

Wedding dress plus shoes for £15 (£25 - the £10 Stella owes her). After seeing that bargain, I don't think Stella will scoff at charity shops as much as before - and possibly even, if she thinks no-one's watching, might browse through one or two in future...

Still, it's certainly going to be an interesting blessing, with at least six bridesmaids (the five plus Daisy from 699-701). If Pippa's invited, perhaps her two boys can help bulk out the male side of the procession, together with Leon and Danny. On the adult side, I wonder if she'll invite Sam Rose and Stephanie Cauldwell? I imagine Ann Thomas will get an invite, probably Siân and Kirsty, possibly Abi, Lizzie and Prof. Herbert.

A few names that probably won't appear on the invite list: Bradley, Shirley, Katya and Amy (look 'em up in the character lists in the summary spreadsheet if you can't remember who they are).

 


EAFOAB Episode Summaries

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

What a lovely description of reality!

persephone's picture

Angharad,

This is beautifully observed and wonderfully written ... as always.

Thank you

Persephone

Persephone

Non sum qualis eram

State of Mind

littlerocksilver's picture

I think that this little episode says a lot about her commitment to her family and Simon. The trauma of the kidnapping has not been erased, but she can think about some personal things. Stella better be sworn to secrecy about where the dress came from. Of course the previous owner might spill the beans, anyway.

Portia

Portia

Car parking

After parking the car for the day—that was going to double the cost of my purchase—how can these car park people sleep at night? As the old joke goes, ‘At least Dick Turpin had the decency to wear a mask when he robbed you.’

So, it's not just in New Zealand that we have to suffer this exorbitant extortion! As the old comparison goes, these car park people have nothing on wounded bulls. What's more, it seems to be worse where there's a monopoly situation, like at airports. I guess it's been a long time since the other Monopoly situation: Free Parking.

Thanks A+B: enjoyable as always.

Parking Scams

Bike Archive Bike Map

Just Beautiful

it it's not how much it is about what you want and if what fills the bill is free or next to it so be it.

3 out of 5 boxes of tissue and 5 gold starsDesHS.jpg

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

You can't beat Oxfam for value.

I get most of my clothes from charity shops so I'm not surprised that Cathy found what she was looking for :) If she were older she'd be a fine example of the war-time waste not want not generation LOL I am surprised that Stella concurred, though.

One of the best shopping episodes I've read.

thanks Angharad.

Robi

Weddings !!!!!!!!!!

I had been hoping that we would get back to this! Cathy has certainly come a long way since she started all this slightly over 3 years ago. Is story time close to chronological time? I haven't attempted to match the seasons or anything. I remember Cathy's debute after crawling out the hedge. Incidentally, I am reviewing Chapter 12 and still have not found her boy name.

Then there were the days when she was not handling it well at all and many chapters I wished that someone would spank the gel. :) Now she has developed into a lovely young woman who is willingly buying wedding dresses.

It's quite a nice journey.

Much Peace

Gwen

When you think about it,

a lot of Stella's cast-offs would probably have ended up in a charity shop had they not gone Cathy's way. You can pick up some quality gear for a relative pittance, and know that you're giving money to charity in the process.

Very nicely observed and very well written as usual, Ang.

Susie

Bike pt 1068.

Glad to see the old dynamic duo at it again. And Stella is once again at her best.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Forced to eat

profiteroles ...Maybe Brussel Sprouts i could believe, But profiteroles covered in chocolate sauce, Nobody and i mean nobody would ever have to force me to eat chocolate,and cream....

Kirri

Shopping.

Yes master, I'll try, but she's gone and broken her collar bone out cycling!

Am I hearing this right, (or rather, reading this right.)?

Cathy's a girl who gets easily tired of shopping.

Oh no! I read later that she shops til she drops, (or at least til' her feet are blistered and bleeding.)
That's more like it! Atta girl!!! Then we learn what she was shopping for. Hence the bleeding feet.

I was beginning to have doubts for a nanosecond!

Is that the first time Cathy's shopped in charity shop. Welcome to the real TG world Cathy.

Still it's nice to read that things at last seem to be moving forward for once.

Still 'lovin it'.

Hugs.

OXOXOX

Beverly

bev_1.jpg

I believe In the first 50

That Cathy does make most her stuff prior to Stella,s cast offs being from charity shops, and In a way are not Stella's cast offs like haveing gone to a charity shop as they were 'Free' the cost being haveing to deal with Stella and the rest of the Crazy Cameron's.

After all she did not have much to spend on anything after paying 4K for her Scott

DesHS.jpg

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

I understand there's a gene involved...

I understand there's a gene involved with shopping (well, several actually). And, if you don't have them, you just don't have them.

Some have the gene that makes shopping FUN.
Some have the gene that allows them to instantly chose the most expensive items (which, of course, is the only one that will fit).
Some have the gene that allows them to find awesome deals.
Some have the gene that allows them to match pieces in an outfit - even when they don't have the outfit with them.

Some folks have all of them, some none of them. We all have to learn to work around our shortcomings - be they physical (IMO testosterone poisoning is a shortcoming), mental, genetic or all three...

As to the shopping genes - some guys have some of them as well... Ever seen a (male or female) "tool" or "office supply" junkie? They can go through a story in ways that some have described clothing shopping. Simply amazing.

Anne

Awesome!

I can but hope that both of my daughters are as lucky! I shant hold my breath though (while the older one is 22, she'll be HARD to fit and the younger one's but 13, so she'd better NOT be needing one soon!!!!) as I'd likely pass out.

As to tight shoes rubbing - without stockings, not so tight ones can as well. I bought my wedge heel loafers - with socks on (they were thin) but, wearing them without, my feet slide just enough... Well, you get the picture. Now, if only these "hand-me-down" sandals were a half size smaller (My wife has longer feet - by a half size, lucky me...) they'd be perfect, as is, I find them far more comfortable than my old Tevas - sn they're FAR more stylish!!!

How long after they get home until Cathy's forced to "model" the gown for the rest of the girls? Not long, I'm sure. Hopefully Cathy's not forgotten that there are other gowns to sort too... One more than she'd originally planned (Billie)... :-)

Thanks for this... Hopefully I'll at least get to go along on my daughter's fittings... Yet another benefit of transitioning sooner, rather than later. LOL Hmmm, as supportive as she is, I wonder how she'll want to handle the wedding... Our problem, not Cathy's.

Thanks,
Anne

Something awful

will happen to the dress...

Just sayen.

Shopping, shopping

25 quid ? the rose petals will cost more. Well, it is a Scottish wedding, by rights Henry should approve.
A guy would have found something in the first shop, whether he liked it or not. Done, time for beer and football.

Cefin