Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1171.

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1171
by Angharad

Copyright © 2010 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

“Where have you been?” demanded Simon.

“I needed to think.”

“Couldn’t you have done it at home?”

“No; no I couldn’t. I’ve also been to the college. She went in for the morning.”

“How come the scooter was where it was, then?”

“If I knew that, I’d probably know where she was.”

“You realise it’s bonfire night?”

“I hadn’t particularly.”

“The kids asked if we were going tonight.”

“Can you take them?”

“I can’t watch all of them can I? You’ll have to come.”

“I hate bonfires and I’m not that struck on fireworks.”

“It’ll do you good to get out for an hour.”

“I’ve just been out for an hour and all you’ve done is complain about it.”

“Pardon me for breathing,” he snapped and walked away. I was too tired to argue, not that I wanted to anyway. I felt like shit. I made some tea and found Simon, he was in the dining room standing looking out of the window.

“Would you like some tea?” I asked him.

“What?” he answered absently.

“Would you like some tea, I’ve just made a pot.”

“Dunno–drinking tea won’t bring her back will it?”

“No, but it helps us to deal with missing her.”

“Does it–it hasn’t so far.”

“I’m sorry–I’ll be in the kitchen.” I left him to his thoughts.

Jenny arrived a few minutes before Stella, Jenny had taken the girls to school and Stella had taken Danny, who was apparently upset at not finding Julie in her bed when he went to wake her as usual.

“Where did you get to?” They both asked me and I explained I’d been to the college to offer money.

“Won’t the police see that as dangerous?” asked Jenny, meaning the reward money.

“I don’t care. I’d happily pay a thousand or two to get her back.”

“I just meant in giving people ideas to either defraud you with duff info or give whoever is holding her the idea that she could be ransomed.”

“That’s the only reason I can think of for her abduction.”

“What, ransom?”

“Yes–I just hope she’s okay.” I felt tears roll down my cheeks and Stella hugged me.

“I’d better see to the baby,” said Jenny excusing herself.

“Simon wants to take the kids to the firework display.” I told Stella.

“Well you can’t do anything very much can you?”

“No, but it seems insensitive to be out enjoying ourselves while she’s missing.”

“But don’t the kids deserve some form of outing now and again?”

“I suppose so. You think we should go?”

“Yeah, it’ll take your mind off things for an hour or so.”

So that’s what we all agreed we’d do. Jenny would collect the girls in the Mondeo and we’d take two or three cars with us to the fireworks display at the rugby club. I’d get us a quick dinner and we’d go to watch the money burning–as you can see, I’m a keen firework fan.

Simon phoned his friend at the rugby club and we were told if we arrived early, the kids would be given sparklers–until they ran out, we’d also get to see the bonfire being lit. So he agreed we’d be there for six thirty.

Jenny came back from the school and I served up a thick vegetable soup with home-made bread, and some rice pudding afterwards–good stodge to keep them warm and stop them feeling hungry. Simon had two lots of each and we ate both the loaves I’d made that day.

We were ready to leave at six, everyone was wrapped up warm and Tom agreed to stay and keep an eye on the babies. I’d not eaten too much as I’d had to feed tiny wee, and I had a pile of chocolate bars in my handbag for the children afterwards.

We parked the two cars, Simon drove the Mondeo with all the girls–except Julie of course–and I drove with Jenny, Stella and Danny. We were there at six twenty and the kids were each given a couple of sparklers which they’d be lighting after the bonfire was set ablaze. It was a pretty big one with a guy on the top and I hoped they’d checked it for hedgehogs looking for places to hibernate.

It was quite dark and getting cold, so I stood to the windward of the fire–not wanting to smell like a kipper or Arbroath smokie. As the brand was lit which would start the bonfire, I could see the size of the fire properly for the first time–it was very big and the guy on top was life-size.

The fire was started and the flames lit up the surrounding area and for the first time I could see the guy in more detail, the clothes looked more female than male, so did we have a gal rather than a guy. I looked again, they were familiar. Oh my God.

I pointed at the effigy on top of the now growing fire–“Those clothes they’re Julie’s,” I said to Simon.

“Don’t be daft, you’re just hypersensitive.”

I watched again and I was sure a hand moved. “There’s someone in that–it’s not an effigy.”

“What?” gasped Simon. I pointed and we saw a leg twitch. “Holy shit,” he ran off towards the clubhouse as the fireworks began.

“What if it’s Julie?” I said out loud. Then I grabbed my penknife from my handbag, told Stella to watch the kids and dashed on to the fire, braving the smoke and flames. I reckoned I had no more than a couple of minutes before it was too late to save whoever it was.

People were shouting and yelling at me to get off as I was spoiling the event. However, I stuck to my task and cut the ropes holding the arms legs and torso of the victim. I could hear them coughing, so they were still alive.

My eyes were streaming with the smoke and it was getting very hot, I had a feeling the rubber on my shoes was melting and some of the flames were coming very close.

Moments later Simon jumped up to help me carrying a fire blanket which we threw over the ‘guy’ and between us we just managed to drag them off the fire and roll them on the ground to dowse the odd flame.

People from the club now came to assist, and we were all taken well away from the fire. I was coughing and spluttering and my legs were stinging a bit where my jeans had scorched.

We laid the ‘guy’ down on the grass and still clutching my penknife I cut away the sacking over the face and hands, it was a young woman–oh no, I fainted and I think Simon caught me–I don’t really know.

I woke up in A&E in the QA attached to an oxygen machine. Simon was sitting with me, still covered in dust and soot from the fire. I smiled at him. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah, how’s Julie?” I enquired.

“I’m not sure, they were still working on her.”

“Who would do such a thing? Such a wretched thing?” I asked my eyes filling with tears.

“I don’t know, Babes, but if you hadn’t spotted her, she’d have had an agonising death, that’s for sure and much of the evidence would have been lost.”

“She was drugged and gagged,” I said sobbing, “she nearly died, who could hate anyone enough to do that?”

“I don’t know, Babes, but if ever I find out, someone will be in deep, deep shit.”

“Can I go and see her?” I asked the young doctor who came in to check my vitals.

“No, you just stay there–she’s in ICU, she’s very poorly.”

I made to get off the bed and Simon pushed me back. “Just rest there,” he said and I coughed and brought up a whole pile of grey black sputum. “Get your sea legs back first–eh?”

I lay back and wept.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
230 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I can't imagine

a more agonising death than being burned alive. Real edge-of-seat stuff, this. Now, is Julie's father involved?

S.

I can...

Imagine being fully conscious when it's happening... (Or, drowning, or other things, when you're awake.)

The only thing that MIGHT help Julie (in the long run) is that she was drugged to the point the fire itself, hopefully, won't be part of her trauma...

Interesting how our author set things up, so that Cathy was encouraged to go by so many people... And, was there in time to recognize Julie.

Anne

So if I am correct, this was

So if I am correct, this was Guy Fawkes Day as that is the only celebration I remember in England with a large bonfire, a "person" sitting on top of it and fireworks involved. I do remember those celebrations during my three years of living in England back in the 50's. Simon is indeed correct, this would and is a very cruel way to kill another person and do it publically. I feel that it will be found that it was being done to Julie by someone that she and/or the family, primarily Cathy, has had dealings with before. Time to get Trish on the "blue light special" so Cathy can be taken care of and then Julie. Jan

Perhaps a yobbo at school?

Males get pretty upset when they find they have affections for what they view as a male. I wonder if anyone will ever find out who it was?

Gwendolyn

Wasn't...

Wasn't Guy Fawkes trying to bring down the government, so as to bring back the papacy?

bloody hell

kristina l s's picture

Now that was nasty, didn't see it coming either. Fun friends Julies made. No more Tequila for you Ang, not sure we can cope with the visions.

Kristina

Bike pt 1171.

The mystery deepens, yet again. Time for Cathy to Blue Light the Truth, after she and Julie gets better.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Curiouser and curiouser

Well, it looks like Julie is going to survive, something that's more likely if Cathy or Trish can get to her with the blue light. But just as Julie is found, our beloved authoring team deepen the mystery: Who would do such a thing, and why?

Thanks A+B+I (vege soup, homemade bread and rice pud): this certainly is an extended masterclass you're delivering.

Oh, and I'm pleased to note that I'm not the only person who is anti-fireworks. Yes, there's the cost, and it's strange how people on welfare seem to be able to find the money to buy them—ya gotta wonder about their priorities. Then there's the damage caused: the local fire service were thrilled this year when it rained extensively around November 5. Finally, there's the effect on pets, many of whom are scared witless by all the noise and sights.

Pyrotechnic Stunts


Bike Resources

Gulp

You've excelled yourself this time, Bonzi. It really is horrible because you can imagine it's really happening. Perhaps the most terrifying aspect is that could just as easily be a sick prank that went wrong and much, much too far.

Very well done, writing team.

Robi

Ang

NoraAdrienne's picture

You're starting to tick me off there girlfriend.... This is very like the old black and white films of the 20's and 30's where the girl is tied to the tracks, or left tied to a giant buzz saw and the hero/ine shows up at the last second to save her and foils the villain.

J M & J!

“Jesus, Mary & Joseph,” as the nuns at my school were heard to utter in times of stress, that came as a real shock. Poor Julie, what an appalling thing to happen to her. Real X-certificate stuff.

Who could be so cruel to do such a thing? Is it someone with an intense dislike of the Cameron clan, or someone with a severe dose of transphobia?

All I can say is thank God Cathy decided to go to the Guy Fawkes party, otherwise poor Julie would have perished undoubtedly—burned at the stake.

Let’s hope the poor girl will be able to finger the guilty party/parties for the police.

Hilary

I'm Thinking Hate Crime Here

jengrl's picture

I'm thinking that the motive is probably hate crime, because they found out Julie's secret and decided to try to burn her to death. It seems like a pretty good bet that whoever took her probably did other things to her and found out that she was a Pre Op MTF. I hope that these guys get prosecuted to the fullest extent and never see the light of day ever again!

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

Acting Out The Epithet

Some really evil and angry homophobe obviously twigged to Julie's birth sex and decided to actualize treating her as a "faggot." First thought, he (it's 99.9999% likely to be a "he") needs to be caught and punished for kidnapping, assault, drugs, attempted murder and whichever aggravating factors can be added to that.

Second thought: Certainly someone at the rugby club would know who placed the Guy (effigy of Guy Fawkes), and when, on the bonfire. Might be some misdirection here as the baddie might have swapped out an actual effigy and replaced it with poor Julie.

Third thought: Nobody attempts to burn to death a "faggot" at a public bonfire without it getting on the news, everywhere. Unless Julie's status as a transwoman can be kept secret, which in this case is not likely, the entire planet will be covering this story.

If things were hectic before, this will be utter madness.

Meanwhile, Cathy and/or Trish are going to likely shoot some healing rays over to Julie pretty soon, methinks.

___________________
If a picture is worth 1000 words, this is at least part of my story.

omg

That was one of the most disturbing episodes every posted. The thought of poor Julie (or anyone) being tied to the bonfire to be burned alive is too evil to imagine. Hoping the blue light will help out with cures. Hoping Julie survives with some sanity intact. Hoping there were plenty of surveillance cameras around this location.

What a twist in the tale

that was, Julie can be very thankful her mother was persuaded (against her better judgment)to attend the Firework display, And even more grateful that she spotted the tiny little clues that someone alive was in the guys clothing

Now there is just the small matter of (A)Recovery for Julie (B) Find out just who did this... And all i would say about (B)is whoever is responsible had better hope that the police find them first!!

Kirri

All the usual suspects

Someone with access to drugs, transport, information about family routines. That leaves the field wide open. We'll just have to wait and see. And the hell of it all is that I'm in Gatwick airport just about to board for Marrakesh. I only hope my dongle works in Morrocco.

Still lovin' it angie.

Love and hugs.
OXOXOX

Bev

bev_1.jpg

Nasty

Very nasty, and very dsturbing. Good one, Angharad.

Seriously sick,

The only thing I know for sure is Cathy WILL get to the bottom of this. That and there is a witness, Julie herself.

I can't think why anyone would do this, unless it was the 2 idiots who tried to extort money out of her before Cathy got involved.