Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1127.

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1127
by Angharad

Copyright © 2010 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

I eventually pulled myself together and drove home after my reverie. I needed to make some more bread amongst other things. I made a new loaf and after a few more chores, lunched with Jenny and Stella on tuna salad. I fed the wee yin, and put her down after playing and talking to her. She’s becoming much more responsive and gurgles when she sees me. I suppose she thinks I’m a walking milk churn.

Stella had some shopping to do and offered to pick up the girls as she had to pass the school. I accepted her offer and soon after she went I set off to collect Danny from his school, something I don’t think I’ve done more than very occasionally. It was raining and I knew he’d be pleased to see me.

I parked as near as I could and watched for him but didn’t see him exit the building at all. He wasn’t at the bus stop, so where was he–football practice? I waited around and there was no sign of him–I was now feeling very concerned.

I walked into the building and there were now very few people about at all. It felt so strange to be in a relatively modern school and feel a total detachment from it. My own was an old building and wholly inadequate but we managed. How I’d manage in this place, I didn’t like to think. It had no character or soul–that was it, no soul to the place, no genius.

“Can I help you?” said a quiet voice from behind me but it made me jump all the same.

“Yes, I’m looking for my son, Danny Maiden.”

The voice belonged to quite an attractive middle-aged man who was running his eye up and down me with an expression declaring me to either be older than I looked or to be lying. “Daniel Maiden, hmmm, I think he’s in detention, please wait here I’ll be straight back.” He walked off briskly up the corridor leaving me to ponder why Danny was in detention–I hoped it wasn’t fighting again.

No more than five minutes later, the man returned with Danny. I knew something was amiss when Danny refused eye contact with me–was it just a bit of embarrassment?

“Would you care to come into my office for a moment, Mrs Maiden?” and he led us through a door marked, R E Edwards, Deputy Headmaster.

He indicated I should sit and Danny was made to sit beside me. “Well, Mrs Maiden...”

“I’m not Mrs Maiden, my name is Cameron, Danny is adopted.” I felt myself growing warm, yet the teacher blushed even brighter than I.

“I’m terribly sorry, Mrs Cameron, Danny has been in trouble for fighting.”

“I see–do we know who started it?”

“Danny?” Mr Edwards gave my boy a chance to say something at last.

“It was after practice, I was in the showers and some shit took my boots. I think it was Mowlam, an’ I confronted him.”

“Someone took your new football boots?”

“Yes,” he said in a very choked voice and started crying.

“This is the first I’ve heard of this theft–are you sure you had them with you?” Edwards asked the boy.

“He did, because he left home with them this morning–I only bought them for him yesterday, and they cost over a hundred pounds. So I hope you’re going to make every effort to recover them.”

“Mrs Cameron, I assure you we will do everything to investigate this matter, which I’d prefer to keep between us.”

I handed him my card, the posh one.

“Lady Cameron? No relation to the banking people?”

“Yes, my father in law is the chairman. If necessary, I want the police involved, and I’d like you to get back to me on this within the week or I shall start asking embarrassing questions on high. Thank you, Mr Edwards, I’ll take him home now if you don’t mind.”

I left, grabbing Danny by the hand and half dragging him back to the car. Back in the privacy of the car I asked Danny to explain what had happened. He’d done his training in his games session after lunch and left his kit by the bench as he always did and went to shower. When he came back his new boots were missing. He didn’t know who had taken them but he didn’t like this boy, Gregory Mowlam, who was always teasing him and was a bit bigger, but Danny jumped on him when Mowlam asked him if he’d lost something and found it funny. They both got detention, but the games teacher wouldn’t allow Danny to say his boots had been taken. I was very cross at this but when I saw Mr Edwards driving hastily out of the staff car park, I decided it would wait until the morning.

“Hopefully, we’ll get them back–if not, we’ll have to get you some more.”

“I’m sorry, Mummy, I really am,” he sobbed and I put my arm round him and gave him a quick hug before we drove home. This incident had really upset him, and because he was upset, so was I–and when that happens things take note.

We drove for the most part in silence until Danny looked at me and smirked, “Did you see old Eddy’s face when he read your card, ‘Lady Cameron’,” he chuckled as he mimicked the Deputy Head. “He’ll learn you don’t mess with us Camerons, especially my mum.”

“Hopefully he’ll do his job and we’ll get the boots back undamaged.”

“Yeah or you’ll get him.”

“Danny, I don’t get people, I’m a responsible adult, we don’t do things the way you do them in the playground. Having said that, if I need to exert a little pressure on him to achieve our end; I will.”

“Yeah, you’ll get him.”

“That makes me sound like the Godfather, I won’t get him, I’ll simply remind him that I’m waiting for the results of his investigations.”

I stopped on the way back to buy him some cheaper boots. If he was playing that regularly, he’d need another pair–they weren’t that much cheaper, but at least I knew he could continue doing something he enjoyed.

“Thanks, Mum, you’re the best mum in the world.”

“No I’m not, but I try to do my best, which at times is sadly lacking.”

“No one else would have bought me more boots after I lost the first pair.”

“Let’s not go down that road, shall we? It’s important that you keep playing because I know how much you enjoy it.”

“It’s the thing I enjoy most.”

“Yes, I know–don’t lose those ones, or you’ll have to buy the next ones yourself.”

“I won’t, Mum, I promise I’ll keep these under lock and key if I need to.”

“Oh, and no more fighting–it doesn’t become a Cameron.” I knew I was lying, I’ll bet Simon’s ancestors were out bashing seven bells out of each other with great big claymores only a couple of hundred years ago–while mine were inventing steam engines–only joking, I have no idea if I’m related to James Watt or not, probably not.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
215 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

as usual

no one will listen to the kids becaause they are kids. And bullying is very ccommon, as is harassment. Someone needs to put the fear of Cameron in several people.

Oh, I don't know about that,

Oh, I don't know about that, as Cathy is certainly "steamed" about the whole incident.
I have a hunch the head was making tracks to see the games teacher about this whole incident or was racing to the other boy's home to see if he had the new boots or not.

Check the telegraph wires around the school.

Hi Angie.

Check out the telegraph wires.

Most times around the schools in my town, I see more shoes, bras, and other assorted oddements of clothing hanging from the wires between telegraph poles where other kids have thrown them. By far the most frequent appearences are put in by footwear strung together by the laces and flung skywards to end up wrapped around the wires.

Ho-hum, kids! Who'd have em'?

Check it out next time you're around a school or summat.

Beverly

Still lovin' it.

Hugs and kisses.

OXOXOX.

Beverly.

bev_1.jpg

How true.

It's over 50 years since I left school and it was common for older boys to pull off your shoes, tie the laces together and hang them on the door handle outside the train compartment (non-corridor steam train :)) My school cap was thrown out the window as we traversed the viaduct so my last 2 terms I managed to get away without wearing one somehow - strictly against school rules. Mind you that last was more horse play than bullying.

Luckily my shoes didn't fall off as I had a mile to walk home from the station; wouldn't have been much fun in stocking feet.

Robi

I have to wonder...

...why it was that Mr Edwards was last seen “driving hastily out of the staff car park.” Is there more to this event than meets the eye?

Thanks A+B, I won't be sad if Cathy and Danny manage to deal to the perpetrator(s).

Parental Support


Bike Resources

A Wild Guess

If I had to take a wild guess, I'm guessing Edwards is suddenly concerned over something to do with the games/gym teacher. There's a dark shadow peeking out under this little bullying event. Possibly the tip of something very ugly indeed.

There's your foreshadowing, folks! Gird your loins -- something nasty this way comes.

______________
"Mixed metaphors! Step right up, folks. Absolutely free! Get 'em while they're hot!"

The Daily Dormouse.1127

Danny just found out how people react to the Cameron Name. Hopefully, it won't go to his head.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Hmmmm

But his mother HAS gone to his Head......

Sorry. As before, I have my coat.

Lucky Danny

I can see that she is trying very hard. When I was getting roughted up, My Mum told me to learn to take care of myself.

Gwendolyn

Scored some points with Danny

She was there when he needed her and defended him staunchly. What more can a kid ask?

Kids appreciate that parents have their back whether they say so or not.

Kim

I Dealt With Two Boys In High School

jengrl's picture

I dealt with two boys in High School like the one Danny got in a fight with. They got into my backpack while I was gone to the restroom and took an ink pen and poked a hole in the screen on my calculator. It was a large print version my aunt bought me for Math class. I was noticeably upset. My teacher sent the two guys down to the Principal's office and they actually had the nerve to laugh about it in front of her. She obviously didn't think it was funny. The headmaster obviously figured out that you don't mess with Cathy.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

*sighs*

I guess I can be thankful that the only sport I did much of & really participated in didn't have significant "equipment" to purchase. (I mean, ho much did a Speedo cost back in the early '70s?)

Why is it that a teacher would do something like this... Apparently condoning theft. Yeah, fighting's wrong. But still. *sighs*

I'll be curious to hear how you work this one out.

Thanks,
Anne

There's no doubt

that Cathy has gone up tenfold in Danny's estimation, Like a tiger protecting her cubs she very quickly gained the upper hand over the shifty Mr Edwards....Quite what he was up to when he said to Cathy lets keep it between us, I don't know, But one thing comes through loud and clear, Something somewhere has got a bad smell about it...

Kirri

Danny will be OK,

Bullies don't like it when people fight back, especially when their parents back them up.

I doubt the shoes will return, but it could happen.

Sucker punch the big guy, then run like heck

My guess you are related. You get up a head of steam, and then blow it off on some unfortunate jerk.
Danny did not loose his cleats, they were stolen.
That happened to me, except I was the big guy, rather than go after 8 kids, I grabbed one. I hit him until I got my fathers jacket back. Worked great, no running.

Cefin