All I Need is a Miracle Lesson 13

Printer-friendly version

IMG_0557.jpeg

I had no dreams or nightmares, and I woke up without my brain feeling fuzzy and jumbled. However, the memories of the past few days—with and without the time dilation remained. I could see their faces as they towered over me or laid on me. It would have been the honorable thing to save my friends to try and bring them back from the dark side. I chose the selfish route instead and to be honest, I felt no regrets and would have done it again if I was given the choice once again.
“Taianna!” Mom shouted from the other end of the house, “We need to leave!”
“On my way, mom!” I yelled as I scooped up backpack, took a final look at my wardrobe: a green sweater with jeans, and flipped off the lights as I left the room.
Mom stood at the end of the hallway as I ran from my room to the front of the front of the house.
“Your look happy this morning, dear.”
“It feels like a new day,” I replied as we walked out the front door.
“Do you have a ride to work?”
“Yes ma’am,” I replied, “and back home.”
Mom nodded.
We got into the car, and she started the engine and the radio immediately blasted out. Instead of turning the volume down, Mom covered her ears.
“The case of multiple rape charges against Christopher Newsom continues to day four…”
I reached out and turned it off.
“Thank you. How did I leave it on so loud? Well, as I was going to say, Shiela is coming home for the weekend tomorrow morning.”
“Can’t wait,” I replied as we backed out of the driveway.
“She wants to go to the game. Are you okay with that?”
“Sure, I have tomorrow night off.”
“I’ll let you take my car as long as you only go to the game.”
“What about the after the game meet-up at Taco Bueno?” I pleaded. “I made a promise to be there.”
“As long as you bring a sopapilla home with a lot of honey.”
“I can do that mom. Thank you.”
“You’re welcome, Tai.”
I looked to the side of the road to see Tony walking the long distance to school.

Mom dropped me off in front of Liberty High School. I walked inside and dived into the sea of students to reach my locker. Barry and Paul walked by sans their wrestling letter jackets, with their hands entwined. I opened my locker, grabbed my books and turned to look back at the student body. In the past, I felt small and inferior to everyone but everyone who passed me acknowledged my smile and wave with one of their own.
“Gang way!” A voice shouted as I walked to my class. I took a side-step to allow the blur of a guy being chased by seven girls wearing jackets that had what looked like the letter “O” on them. He had been thrown into every trash can in the school, but it looked like there was a new one installed in front of the library they had missed.
“Okay class. I have an announcement before we go over the results of the pop quiz,” Mr. Fredrickson spoke through a sip of coffee. “Parallel lines have so much in common. Unfortunately, they’ll never meet.”
The class groaned and he waved off their disapproval. “I’ll be here all week, as will all of you. Okay, here are the results of yesterday’s quiz.”
I glanced out the window and saw only the fall day. No bullets, no psychic powers and no catastrophic damage to the city.
“Miss Traynor, are you with us or admiring the day?”
“I’m here, sir, sorry.”
“I don’t blame you for looking out the window, it’s a nice day,” Mr Fredrickson replied with a nod.
“Yes, sir it is,” I said as he handed over my paper.

After first period, I stepped past the school trophy and award case, which was filled to the brim with various gold statues, ribbons, pennants and pictures. One of the pictures was of our school’s dance team during nationals. I grinned at the sight of myself in our uniforms and flags. I wasn’t the leader, and I wasn’t the best, but I was part of a team. The next case was devoid of flair or splendor, more sorrow and somber.
The center of the case featured a picture with a plaque below that read “We will remember you, Matthew Paul Williamson” with newspaper clippings of a tragic accident at The Ruins where his car flipped over five times, and he was ejected from the vehicle.
“Hey, you okay?” A voice asked as a hand rested on my shoulder.
“I’m fine, I just never read this all the way.”
“It was a sad day, yeah. But think about it: he didn’t have a seatbelt and was driving around a garbage dump. Not too safe, right?”
“You’re right,” I replied with a nod.
“Come, on, where’s my happy girl?”
“I’m right here,” I sang as I turned to Shelley and kissed her on the cheek.
“Remember, happiness is contagious.”
“I may have a fever.”
“I know a cure and it starts by getting away from this darkness and continue to second period.”
I nodded to Shelley and together we walked to US History.
“Tai, I feel so happy today,” Shelley said as she wrapped her arm around my waist.
“I do too.”
“You’re more than anything I could have ever wished for.”

up
81 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A ton of sympathy

Neither do I.

The most I might, MIGHT mind you when one day feel generous and offer one electron neutrino's mass worth though.

Might.

Her wish

I am guessing that her wish was to prevent these fine 'gentlemen' from getting offered wishes in the first place and just let their natural fate take its course. Or they just had their powers erased.

I am not sure how she got to change back to her female form unless I am guessing she wished that they all just become who they were supposed to be, given their true natures. She, of course, was supposed to be a woman to begin with and her ex-'friends' just should have continued being the losers they were destined to be.

Justice is served I think.

You are correct.

Aylesea Malcolm's picture

You are correct.
The five never met so Tai’s cautious attitudes were not around to keep them from self-destructing.