Thanks Truck-kun For Making Me A Trader - Part 24/27

Printer-friendly version

"I think I know where we are going."

Becky's comment was enough to pull me out of my meditation. Yes, I meditate now. Sort of. I mean I concentrate really hard on what research outcome I want. It kinda works. I think it is faster. Not sure if that exactly counts as meditation. For one, there is no way I can get my legs into that pretzel form and for two, you won't hear me make that "ohm" sound.

It's been nearly two days since my Little Mule had been hijacked and we are hurling along an unknown course. With me being shut out of the auto pilot's controls. We know it wasn't by the Western Empire, as our flight takes us roughly southeast.

"Enlighten me," I say as I join Becky in the cockpit.

"Well, that skyline is familiar."

Holy shit! We are flying over a city.

Yes, I visited Tsundore Fields and such. But compared to this, they are small towns. Settlements even. Heck, New York City doesn't even compare. This is wildly different from all the rural areas I have seen so far. Hundreds of skyscrapers stab into the sky. Even more impressive as they are covered in greens. Plants and trees. Besonians really have mastered the blend of artificial with nature.

Right now we are flying casually over the suburbs of this metropolis. Well, maybe the description doesn't really fit. There are parks everywhere and each house - two to three stories high - has extensive gardens surrounding it. I would have guessed we are flying over the district for the rich, but as far as I can see, this style of urban building continues for miles.

"We are in the greater Brocoflour Area," Becky says and then points to the skyline. "Which makes this Brocoflour City. I've never been here before, but the skyline is iconic."

Skyline? It is more like a solid wall of skyscrapers that stretch from the ground to the clouds.

"Impressive, but what are we doing here?"

"I guess that is our target," Becky says while indicating a particular building. It was shaped like someone cut out the lower third of a dozen pyramids, flipped them around, and stacked them. Giving the building large terraces.

"How do you figure that?"

"Well, if I am not mistaken, that is the headquarters of the void-trader guilt."

The what?

Fuck. If they summoned me then I am in trouble. I mean more than just being kidnapped by my own Little Mule. Someone did get out of their way to summon me here. Was that because I raided Maynard's Wharf? It's got to be. But if so, whoever got pissed off at me had to react fast. It's been just a few bells after my raid that my Little Mule was redirected.

Someone tattled on me. I don't think it was Awyn. Maybe the armor trader. Xerestes or what he was called. My replacement at Maynard Mansion is also a possibility. But why throw a monkey wrench after I leave? Not that any of those speculations matter. I am here now, aren't I?

For a moment, I could swear Becky is wrong. My Little Mule aiming to fly past that HQ skyscraper. But a sudden turn dashes my hopes. Now I know why they constructed the building as they did. The terraces are landing decks. Each floor offers space for hundreds of Little Mules. Of course, there is one spot free between the parked ships. The one my own Little Mule is aiming for.

"Well, let's see what trouble I am in," I say with a sigh. Making for the exit. "You can stay or come with me."

"I'll be right behind you." The prospect of Becky following me lost its assuring nature as she added: "This ought to be interesting."

Stepping outside is a mistake. The building might offer hundreds of ships space, but this high up, it also leaves plenty of avenues for the wind to get through. Damn, I should have tied my hair in a ponytail or so. Long hair is such a hassle. At least I don't have to have fights while managing it. How does Maryn handle it? Or Becky?

"Lillyn!"

Wait. I know that voice.

Iren. Of course, she is here. Who better to chew me out. But why drag me all the way to the headquarters? At least she has to fight the wind too as she comes over.

"What the hell are you doing here?" Iren asks as she is close enough to speak without yelling. She even looks confused.

"You don't know?"

"I got an urgent summon from the void-trader assembly. I thought it was because of the rumors around the Western Empire and their latest advances." For a moment, I thought I was saved. But then I can see Iren process the implications that I am here. "It appears my guess was wrong. What did you do, Lillyn?"

Maybe if I downplay it a little-

"Nothing much," I say with a shrug. "I financed an expedition. Everything else you already know."

"I doubt that is all," Iren remarks before continuing. "Let's get inside and find out what predicament you got yourself into this time."

Which is easier said than done. Heading for the entrance meant leaving the safety of the Little Mules behind. Without them acting as windbreakers, it was worse. At last, we make it in. Hopefully, I won't catch a cold because of that.

My hair is a mess and my outfit is thoroughly tussled. Iren looks better. She has some carefully styled braided updo and a tight-fitting outfit. Iren probably knew of the harsh winds at this tower. Of all of us, Becky looks the best. Her armor is tight and sturdy enough to don't offer the wind much surface to attack. But how her open hair is still perfect is beyond me.

Just a few steps in, an attendee is waiting for us. How do I know that? She launches immediately into words. So many words.

"Void-trader Iren? Iren Agastine Levio Langstan? Previously of and born into the void-trader family Benovia. Current guild mistress of trade hub number five in the kingdom of Wexwood. Also known as the town Demole. A donation streak of level three for one hundred and sixty-four rotations and a peak donation of level six."

Apparently, this novel of a greeting was expected by Iren. "That is correct."

Now the attendee is fixing her gaze on me. "Void- trader Lillyn? No known familiar connection. Sponsored by guild mistress Iren. Only one donation of level one."

"I haven't been active for very long." Why isn't she reacting? Oh, right. "That's me."

"And what is that?" the attendee asks as she eyes Becky like a turd she stepped into.

"That is Becky. My bodyguard."

"I am afraid your 'toy' has to wait outside."

"First, Becky is neither mine nor a toy. She is sentient. And very deadly. One might do well not to offend her. And she stays with me. As my bodyguard, she goes where I go."

Swallowing hard, the attendee plasters a fake smile on her face. A pity. With a real smile, she might look pretty. She says "follow me" before turning around and walking ahead at a brisk pace.

Following in step, Iren takes a moment to whisper to me. "She is sentient?"

"Becky's body is that of an Automata. But her core is a soul-crystal. She has all her memories and mental faculties. For now, she is my only volunteer for my alternative Automata bodies. A product I see great potential in."

"Maybe that is why we are summoned?" If Iren expected an answer then she didn't give me time for it. Instead, she addresses the attendee who is hurrying ahead of us. "What is exactly the nature of our summon?"

"Void-trader Lillyn stands accused of infringing onto a hereditary product exclusivity of a prominent void-trader family. As sponsor and guild-mistress it obliges you, void-trader Iren, to provide counsel and defense in front of the assembly."

"That doesn't sound good," Iren remarks to herself. Then, she addresses me again. "Do you have an idea which product they speak of?"

"No," I say lying through my teeth. I mean, I have my suspicion. "I researched quite a few new products. Some with wide-reaching implications. Like Becky's Automata body. But most of these, I haven't even sold yet. A few of them are so strange I'd be surprised if anyone would sell these. Not every research of mine was useful."

After a long hard look, Iren is nodding her head. "We'll find out soon enough."


A bell later, we are sitting in a waiting room. According to Iren, one of several. Any moment now, we will be called into the grand assembly. A place where the most powerful void-traders gather to resolve internal disputes. Usually, all prominent families have at least one representative here.

I tried to bridge the waiting time by telling Iren what I researched recently, but she hushed me. Apparently, we couldn't talk without being overheard. Despite being alone in the waiting room. Becky remarked that even with a cursory glance, she had spotted a few listening devices too.

All I got was a quick summary by Iren about the grand assembly. The void-trader guild operates over hundreds of country lines and different laws. That makes finding common ground difficult. That's why they operate on an honor-based system.

The worst they could do is kick me out of the guild. Doesn't sound so bad, right? According to Iren, the guild does a lot for me in the background. They have treaties in place with most countries. Through those, void-traders pay very little or no tax at all. They also regulate who can park at which hardened space.

If they kick me out, not just those perks would go away. Every void-trader would be free to steal my products. As their honor system doesn't include those outside of the guild. As they are viewed as having no honor at all. But probably the worst part is that those void-traders that have been banished, and fail to take it as a hint to retire, usually end up dead in 'accidents'.

"The grand assembly will see you now."

Finally! I don't have time for that crap. Let's get this over with so I can return to Myra and Maryn.

Alright. This is grand. Following the attendee in, we are led into a large hall. Reminds me of the opera. With multiple tiers of large balconies. I would guess maybe three to four hundred people can be seated here. Maybe a hundred showed up. Still, it is a little impressive.

The focal point of the hall is not a stage, but a large podium. Seated behind it are even more people. In the front of it are tables and chairs. Much of it reminds me of courtrooms. I hope that isn't a bad sign.

Iren and I take our seats at a plain wooden desk and hard chairs. Behind us, Becky is leaning against a rail that separates us from the audience. If anyone minds that she remains standing, then they at least don't speak up.

Before heading out again, the attendee has a few last words for us. "The official speaker of the assembly in this rotation is the representative of the void-trader family Macrawes. He will introduce himself first, then the party who called this assembly. Followed by introducing your party. Despite reciting the grievance the speaker is neutral. He will indicate which party can speak and for how long. It is also within his right to give voice to the audience."

I couldn't even nod before she walked away. Anyway, it looks like the judge was down here on the floor with us. Then who are those guys on the podium? The jury? Or maybe just important people in the guild?

The murmur of a hundred people quiets down as a man walks into the room. He isn't much to look at. Certainly not dressed up for the gig. Hopefully, he isn't as long-winded as everyone else around here.

"Welcome to the grand assembly," he starts once arriving in the middle. "My name is Leodd Macrawes. Chosen speaker for this rotation. Fellow void-traders, we have gathered here as the trader-family Ashgan lays its grievance before us. While the family is well known, allow me to refresh their accomplishments."

So much for short. I spare you the details. Apparently, the Ashgan's are the descendants of those who ordered the Little Mule from Maynard. They hold exclusive rights to it. Somehow they also napped the rights to the Little Swan. So, anything that flies is pretty much controlled by them. I've got a feeling I know why I am here.

"The family Ashgan lays the accusation of a breach of honor. A fellow void-trader aims to learn and distribute the plans of the Little Mule ships. The accused in question is the void-trader Lillyn. A recent newcomer to the guild. Her sponsor is Iren Agastine Levio Langstan. Formerly of the void-trader family Benovia. Current guild mistress of trade hub number five - the town Demole - within the kingdom of Wexwood."

Before either of us can say anything, the speaker twirls around. Indicating that a person on the podium with a raised hand was free to speak.

"You call us here for this nonsense?" the older man spoke up while staring at a rather ugly hag to his left. My right. "Why waste our time? She's a baby void-trader. Probably skipped apprenticeship because- Well, we know guild mistress Iren's taste in women."

What an asshole! There was no need for such a snide remark. Just wait you-

Before I can stand up, I feel Iren's hand on my arm. A quick glance shows me a barely perceptible shake of her head. Well, if Iren can stomach such underhanded tactics, then so can I. Just you wait until it is my turn.

"The speaker asks the honorable lady Ashgan to elaborate."

"Gladly," my new enemy number one said, before standing up. "Don't be fooled by her honeyfirn enhanced figure. Behind that lies a void-trader with an aptitude of thirteen! She used this very fact to organize a raid into the wharf of the Maynard estate and stole the Little Mule prototype ship. A clear indicator to subvert my family's claim as the only steward of the Little Mule blueprint."

"You did what?" Iren asked from beside me sharply. Apparently, this was indeed news to her.

Iren isn't the only one agitated. A murmur goes through the ranks of the audience. Taking its sweet time to settle down.

"The grievance has been heard," the speaker Macrawes now speaks up. "It is time to hear the side of the accused."

That probably means Iren as my counsel, but she looks a little shocked. Well, I can fight my own battles. And I think I have just the right idea to turn this around.

"I, the void-trader Lillyn, am indeed of an aptitude of thirteen." And now for the Uno reverse card. "And I accuse house Ashgan of fabricating this accusation in order to evict me from the guild, so they can acquire my blueprints without recompense or loss of honor."

"The hell we did," lady Ashgan shouts out while standing up. Her angered face clearly shows that my plan is working.

"Lady Ashgan. Please be seated and wait your turn," speaker Macrawes says aloud. Then turns to me again. "Those are grave accusations. Do you have any proof?"

"As much as 'lady' Ashgan has," I reply with a generous smile. "Perhaps if I may present my past accomplishments, then the situation becomes clearer."

Again, Ashgan is standing up. Frothing with anger. Good. But this time she has more control. Waiting for the speaker to let her speak. "Lies and deception. Nothing she says will change the facts. Void-trader Lillyn raided the wharf and acquired the prototype. There were plenty of witnesses."

Come on, speaker. Give me my turn. I wanna pummel that hag into the dirt. I have enough of being a bouncing ball for Besona. I have finally someone who wants to square up with me and I am ready to tango.

"The speaker acknowledges Lady Perphin of the void-trader family Antesec."

Wait. Where did I hear that family name before? An older lady - more refined-looking - stands up far to the left of the podium.

"My grandchild Pasus had dealings with the void-trader Lillyn in the past. He attributed her as smart, innovative, and curious. Even if a little naive. In confidence he described some of her earlier products and research focuses. If void-trader Lillyn suspects sinister intent behind the accusation brought against her, then I, for one, am eager to hear what products might warrant such a theory."

Pasus' grandma? Heck, yeah. Without even knowing my plan she played right into it. Remind me to thank her. And Pasus of course.

With granny on my side, more void-traders call out for me to explain. Not loud enough that the speaker has to step in, but the overall murmur of the crowd swells up to be noticeable.

"Void-trader Lillyn. Please elaborate on your claims."

Yes. Time to give the crowd a show. I am not sure if it is allowed to do so, but it is time I step into the limelight. The space between the table and podium. So that everyone can see me and what I am about to present.

"When guild mistress Iren sponsored me, she did so with a hope. That I, with my aptitude of thirteen, could find a way to make void-traders relevant again. With each generation, it gets harder to compete with traditional crafting. Void-trader families struggle to pass their blueprints off to their children and to find time to improve their products. Today, I can announce that I succeeded."

By now it is easy to summon something from the void. Even to have it materialize in my hand without looking at my game-like menu. With a proud smile towards Iren, I show the crowd my portable blueprint library. Turning around so everyone can see.

"This device lets void-traders register and store their blueprints in physical form. The device can be shared. Handed over to a child of yours or a sponsored protege. Allowing them to learn said blueprints in a fraction of the time normally needed. It is called the portable blueprint library and this will change everything for void-traders."

Silence envelopes me. Are they stunned? Do they doubt my claim? Maybe I have to demonstrate-

Nope. Damn, now everyone is shouting. I think I hear offers for exclusive rights to it or requests for licenses. A bit premature if you ask me. For I am not done.

"This second device," I shout into the hall. Everyone falls silent again as I hold up something new. "It is called an enchantment storage device. Placed alongside an item on the research workbench it can either learn enchantments or be used to place learned enchantments on the other item. I haven't tested out how many enchantments one can layer, but I managed to do five quite easily."

A short dramatic break and now for the finishing move.

"Both of these devices require void-favor to use. Not paid to me, but to the void. For myself, I wanted to gift these devices to the void-trader guild. So that everyone could have access to them. As a gesture to Iren - my sponsor - that her faith in me was warranted. But now, I find myself accused. I still intend to share these devices with you. With all of the guild. But now, I am afraid I must ask for a price."

With the hall silent, all eyes fall not upon me, but on the speaker. There is no doubt what he has to ask. As in-between for all of the void-trader guild.

Ah, here it comes.

"Void-trader Lillyn." The speaker falls silent again. I can see him hunting for the right words. He knows today history is written. "If these devices work as advertised then they are of great value. What price do you have in mind?"

"Honor." My word echoes through the hall. Damn, I feel so powerful right now. "I want to register one line of product within the guild. It will be mine exclusively. To sell or license. Honor my rights to this product and the devices are yours."

"You will not get the rights to the Little Mule from us!" Of course, the hag is accusing me again. Standing. Pointing. Sprewing spittle. Even talking out of turn.

"I don't care for your measly monopoly!" I throw at her. No. Don't be like that, Lillyn. Keep your cool. Remain calm. "Speaker. May I present the product?"

"By all means."

"Becky. Please step forward." The smirk on Becky's face is probably enough to know she is behind me on this one. "Some of you might recognize this as an Automata from Maynard Mansion. If that is the case, you are wrong. Only slightly. This Automata body can house a soul-crystal. In fact, it does so right now."

Yes, Becky and I are on the same wavelength. She has opened up her chest and slowly turns around. Giving them a good view of her soul-crystal.

"This body is very durable and can act as an alternative or reserve to the normal human body. What do I mean by reserve? It has the ability to automatically equip if your current body dies. Provided you carry it within your soul inventory. Now, for people like you and me, that is less of a concern. We are not at a constant threat of dying. Adventurers, however, are."

"And that's why I don't care for your monopoly on Little Mules," I now address Ashgan directly. "Your product is expensive and nets you a hefty profit. But your customer base is tiny. At least compared to mine. The Automata has the potential to be a must-have item for every adventurer. And they outnumber us void-traders by a large margin."

Time to direct my audience back to Becky. "My volunteer here currently models an Automata body worth forty-five thousand. And as experienced void-traders know, each progression in grade has the potential for exponential growths in value. That is the real reason I raided the wharf. That ship lady Ashgan is so protective of? Just a piece of junk. But one worth over one point two million void-favors."

That got a good gasp out of them. Ha! Let's see how Ashgan reacts to that.

But my eager anticipation has to wait. It is the speaker Macrawes who speaks up. "Indeed I see why void-trader Lillyn values her product so much. Before we settle Lady Ashgan's grievance, I say we vote for void-trader Lillyn's proposal. The two devices mentioned previously for the exclusive right to research, sell, and license Automata bodies. Everyone in favor, please show your hands."

Yes. Good. Very good. Everyone is in agreement. Even Ashgan. I think this might be over soon. Then I can get back to really important things.

"The assembly voted in unison," Macrawes announces a moment later. "Void-trader Lillyn, the deal is struck. Automata bodies are from here on out yours to govern. By the honor of the guild, so be it."

Time to hold up my end of the deal. Handing over the portable blueprint library. "On it are the plans for both devices. May they both bring prosperity to the guild."

"I am sure it will," the speaker says to me before turning towards the podium. "Lady Ashgan. We heard void-trader Lillyn's reason for the raid. Is it satisfying enough to put grievance aside?"

"If the only reason was to gain void-favors, then yes. It is. But only if void-trader Lillyn sells the prototype ship to us. We pay the baseline plus a generous twenty percent."

Twenty? Damn. If I had known-

"I am afraid I can't do that. The reason was to get funds to continue my research. I had to void the ship to do so. There was no reason for me to hold onto it. At least, none that I knew. If I had known of the possibility of your generous offer I might have held onto it."

"Then my grievance stands," Lady Ashgan says with a smug smile. One I wish I could wipe off her face. "Without handing over the prototype what assurance or proof do we have that you indeed voided it? You could hold onto it and still research it later."

More murmuring fills the hall. Damn, I am losing my audience. I think me handing over the devices buys me enough goodwill that they won't kick me out. But if I don't put these accusations to rest then the guild might still put fines or punishments on me. Not to mention that Ashgan might send assassins after me.

A loud clearing of his throat got Macrawes my attention. "Void-trader Lillyn, what is your reply?"

"I cannot procure the prototype ship as I have voided it. It is not within my possibilities to recreate it, as I do not have the blueprint. I swear on my honor that I don't. I further swear that I do not have the blueprint for the Little Mule ship or any designs to acquire them."

What else can I give them? "The evidence I can show for is not much. I can prove that I have the void-favors of the sale. The one million that are left. Mind you I already used up ninety thousand for two Automata bodies to put them on my research bench. I also spent quite a few void-favors setting up those devices for the guild. But more importantly, I filled one device with much of my earlier designs. It is my intent to repay the favor guild-mistress Iren gave me by sponsoring another void-trader apprentice. Giving her license to sell my early products, but more importantly, buying her a ship."

Turning to Ashgan, I hold up my hands in a non-threatening way. "I know your trust in me is non-existent right now. I suggest I transfer the two hundred fifty-thousand void-favors to guild-mistress Iren, so she can procure the required Little Mule for the apprentice I have in mind."

I look at Ashgan and I am not the only one. Everyone can see that I am as honest and forthcoming as I can be. But will it be enough?

"Lady Ashgan?" the speaker finally asks. Prompting her to make up her damn mind.

The hag's hard gaze switches for a fake smile. "The Ashgan family withdraws its grievance. If substantial evidence comes to light we might renew it."

In other words, they'll be watching me like a hawk. Probably jumping on me the moment I make a single mistake. Ah, to hell with them. I don't care. This battle has been won, but it also was entirely unnecessary.

"Void-trader Lillyn." Oh, what does the speaker want from me now? "You laid grievance in return. Do you still accuse the Ashgan family or is the matter settled?"

"With the assembly witnessing and granting my claim to the Automata bodies, I lay my grievance to rest." Hmm. Should I be petty? Probably not. Maybe a little bit though? "I reserve the right to renew it if new substantial evidence comes to light."

Ha! Two can play this game. You watch me. I watch you. A stalemate is fine enough for me. But if they try anything, they might find out just what I am capable of.

"In that case the assembly is closed," the speaker proclaims aloud. Turning towards me afterward. "Please remain for a moment so we can sketch out the details of your claims and products."


Two bells later, I am finally out. Close to my Little Mule too. Just out through the double doors and through the wind. Not something I look forward to. But not yet. I have a few details to take care of myself.

"This device contains all my blueprints for enchanted undergarments and shielded casual wear," I say. Handing it over to Iren. "Once Essie agrees to my proposal, you can give it to her."

"I doubt she will hesitate," Iren says with a generous smile. "Getting a Little Mule and a product line to sell that no one else has? That's the dream. I wish I had the advantage when I started out."

"Well, I can't change the past. But I can pay it forward. Like you did."

"Are you sure you can't stay awhile? It sounds like there is a lot of catching up to do."

"I am already late." Time to come clean to Iren. "I aligned myself with a group opposing the Western Empire. In part, I developed my Automata version to support them. This detour has cost me a lot of time and was entirely unnecessary."

"I doubt it," Iren says while holding up my blueprint library. "These devices change everything. Lillyn, you might not be the hero the church wanted to summon, but certainly, you are what the void-trader guild needed."

"I am just repaying the favor," I wave her off. Yes. I can be humble. Don't act so shocked. "There is one more thing I need to discuss with you. But not here."

I see the frown when I point outside. But after a moment she gives me a knowing nod. She gets what I am about. Out in the wind, no one can overhear us. Not unless they are very close.

Damn, the wind is worse. Feels more like a storm brewing. Even some drizzle is mixed in. Time to get this over with so I can be on my way.

Outside, we hurdle up right where the wind is strongest. "Inside, I didn't lie," I half shout so Iren can even hear me. "I do not have a prototype for a Little Mule or the blueprints for a final version for it. But in the wharf, there never was a prototype of the Little Mule. That ship was of the Little Bear class. I threw it on the research bench. Just for one cycle, because I thought maybe I could research the ship class later. When I regained the funds to do so. But Besona was generous for once."

Now for my second ace up my sleeve. Summoning a blueprint library that I had set aside. "I got it, Iren. The complete functional blueprint and two types of upgrades. And it is yours. Just in case you ever want to dethrone that Ashgan asshole."

"Lillyn, you are really playing with fire here." But after a moment of hesitation, Iren grabs the device. It looks like she is ready to play it a little dangerously too.

When she stares down too long on the blueprint library in her hand, I can't help but add a few wise words. "It is probably best if you mail copies and spread them far and wide. Then reveal it all at the same time. They can't assassinate everyone."

"Oh, Lillyn," Iren says to me with a rather devious smile. "I am way ahead of you."

Looks like I chose the right woman for the job. Her mind is already reeling with plans and designs.

"I have to go now. Time is of the essence. Give Essie my regards."

"I will. Oh, and Lillyn?"

"Yes."

"You are really something else, you know that?"

I give her a nonchalant shrug. "One could say I am out of this world."

After a shared chuckle, we part ways. Iren to her Little Mule and Becky and I to mine.

Once inside, I turn to Becky. "Thanks for your help. Without you, I- Wait. Why are you pouting?"

"Because I could have done so much more!" Becky explodes. "I was waiting for you to say I should demonstrate my prowess a bit. Maybe do some acrobatics or I could have trashed some furniture."

"Show-off," I mutter while rolling my eyes.

I guess I won't live it down that easily. Denying Becky to boast and brag in front of another large audience. But there is no time. We need to head back to the pyramids. Back to Myra and Maryn. And pronto.

And if anyone dares to intervene again-

Well, I think I have enough void-favors for an assassin or two.

up
136 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Win!

Podracer's picture

Iren must be well satisfied with her sponsorship now.
Lillyn's Little Mule had better have an overdrive, she'll be sweating for two days now.
At least the facilities are better than aboard Serenity's mule.

"Reach for the sun."

Becky and showing off

Lillyn is right, void traders do not need her product. Adventurers, however... I'm sure Becky will be getting a chance to showoff a lot.

Gumby - I'm flexible

"Imagination is more important, than knowledge" - Albert Einstein

“The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds
new discoveries, is not ‘Eureka!’, but ‘that’s funny…’” - Isaac Asimov

That ended up working out

Beoca's picture

That ended up working out remarkably well. And depending on how narrowly worded House Ashgan's monopoly is (whether it applies to the product space of Little Mules and similar items or exclusively to Little Mule class ships), this might already be over.

Interesting idea that family

Here's an Interesting idea. That family got the monopoly in exchange for not receiving the little bear. If she handed over the blueprint that would have completed the contract and voided the monopoly.

trader guild

looks like that's settled for now

DogSig.png