Thanks Truck-kun For Making Me A Trader - Part 20/27

Printer-friendly version

Oh, no. Not that smell again. Not the way I prefer to wake up. Becky and her stupid tea. Yeah, she drinks. And eats. Not that she has to. Something along the lines of her automata body is self-sustained and self-repairing. A real marvel of engineering. Bla. Bla. Bla.

Apparently, the real miracle is that Becky can stand that smell. I mean, don't get me wrong, the Comulussus tea tastes fine. Good even. But the smell is horrendous. Yes, the name too. But that is beside the point.

Every morning that Becky brews this tea, my Little Mule smells like licorice. And I hate licorice. It doesn't even make sense. The tea itself doesn't taste like licorice. More like mango or so. I am half-minded to ask Becky for a sample. Give it a spin on the research bench. Maybe I can get rid of that smell. But with my luck, the tea probably starts to taste like licorice too.

Ugh! I hate my life.

Speaking of research. Time to see how I failed this time. It's been half a rotation since Maryn visited me and asked for a favor. The small task of improving her backup gear to a level that is better than her primary one. So far, I got zilch. Well, not nothing, but close to it.

I mean combining her leather chest armor with a potion for health makes sense, right? Yeah, to Besona too. As in just another opportunity to tell a joke on my behalf. I doubt Maryn needs a Chestplate Of Chestbumps. No, that was no joke on my part. That's the name of my latest creation. It literally heals her if she bumps into an enemy with her rack first. Yeah, her bosom has the size to make a great deal of bludgeoning damage. Still, I doubt she'll be hyped by my research.

Time to see my latest screw-up.

> Buster Sword Of Growing Distraction <
> This heavy sword strikes a perfect balance between offensive striking power and defensive shielding due to its width. Enchanted to provide a distraction to opponents. <
> Active ability: Damaging a creature's hitpoints builds up a charge within the blade. <
> Passive ability: Converts build-up charge into a growths enchantment localized to the wielder's chest area. <
> 544 void-favors <

Oh, I hate you Besona. A sword that makes your chest grow as you strike down enemies? How does that work? Whack. Whack. Whack. Cup-size up! Whack. Whack. Whack. Sweater puppies ahoy!

Maryn, like myself, doesn't need to get any bigger. We are already massive. I mean, maybe Dera-

No, Dera is still not talking to me. Even though I paraded Becky around the courtyard. Well, Myra and I took evening walks and Becky followed a few paces behind. Same thing really.

Yeah, I don't see that sword working out. Or the rest of the crap Besona threw at me. None of the enchantments I researched before are helpful. Well, a few would be, if Besona would stop screwing with me.

Time to call for help. Okay. Sitting down first. Initiate call.

"Good morning, Lillyn. Did that sword work out?"

Ugh. Why is Pasus so cheery in the morning? As if he is looking forward to my failures. Well, it's got to be amusing to him. Damn you, Besona.

"No, it didn't. The growth enchantment took, but it is focused wrong. Body part specific again. I must be doing something wrong."

For example, trusting Besona with my research. Not that I have a choice in that matter there.

"I wish I could help you," Pasus says after chewing his last bite of breakfast.

It looks yummy. I practically can smell it- Wait, no. That's licorice. I smell it even here? Projected halfway across the continent? What bullshit is this?

Anyway, back to Pasus.

"It told you, weapon and armor enchantments aren't really my thing. That enchantment storage device you've got is intriguing, but I doubt it will help you. You might want to talk to an expert."

"Who? The traders at Maynard Mansion? Can I have your best-enchanted gear? Promise I won't be a competitor."

"Maybe Iren can do something?"

Here is a thought. Yes, Pasus is right. Technically, I could ask her. I mean she is supposed to be my mentor. Sort of. But my relationship right now is a little strained. Yes, I did apologize. But she had a kind of look in her eyes that said "don't fuck up again too soon". Not to mention that she or Essie might ask why I am inquiring about enchantments for weapons or armor. If I don't wanna lie then I have to reveal that it is a favor for the church. Well, church adjacent. I know there is a rift between the void trader guild and the church. What I don't know is how much of it is mutual. I could be stepping into the next pile of Lillyn-fucked-up-again.

"I will ask her," I promise aloud to Pasus. "But maybe as a last option. Things are complicated right now."

"If it is really urgent, then don't wait too long."

"Yeah." Time is running out. Technically, this evening. Maryn said she'd be back after three days. Right before they jet off to their next stop. "I am gonna figure something out. Thanks, Pasus. It was good talking to you, but I better go."

"Don't be a stranger."

Another bust. Well, Pasus is right. He warned me he wasn't the best person to ask. It was a long shot. But at least I could bounce ideas off him and get his input.

What's next? Time to open up my shop. Normally, I'd eat. Maybe later. Smells too much like licorice here.

As I step to the stairs, Becky is looking up. Curious. "You have a visitor."

This early? Well, I called people in the morning too, so I can't fault other people for showing up early.

"Myra?"

The priestess is standing outside. Rays of morning light fall around her. Damn, she is beautiful. Did I ever mention that? In her own way. Not the classical sense. Or supermodel or so. But cute and-

Nevermind. You don't need to hear that.

"Sorry to bother you this early, but-"

"I don't mind."

Coming closer, Myra is pulling me aside. Making sure we are alone. That not even Becky could overhear us. Now the first time they both met was funny, because- No, wait, this isn't the time to tell that story.

"I wanted to see you. Before we leave."

"What does that mean? Maryn isn't even back yet and-"

"Maryn was nearly assassinated." Myra gave a quick glance around. Making sure, again, that we were still alone. "I am not even supposed to tell you this. They came back late this night. Bloodied. Out of potions. One of her guards didn't make it. They had to leave his soul crystal behind. Now the head priestess decided we have to leave immediately."

"Now?" What is that sinking feeling in my chest? I knew I had to say goodbye to Myra today. But not yet.

"In a few bells. We have to prepare the Little Swan for our trip to the Pyramids Of Kentoshan. Maryn and I had a talk three days ago. Before she headed in. She said that you are doing research for her?"

"I am trying. Not with a lot of luck yet."

"Keep at it, please. Maryn needs all the help she can get. We all do. And something else-"

"Yes?"

"I know I said I will give you time until you are ready, but these are uncertain times and-"

And at this moment, when I am totally unprepared, she kisses me. And what a kiss. Her lips are so soft. Can this go on forever? Please?

"I am sorry," she says as she breaks contact.

"Don't be." Damn, what was I waiting on before? I like her. Do I really need more time? Is my unfamiliarity with my new body and gender really worth losing her? "We will see each other again. I promise."

"Don't promise me things you can't keep." Tears start to dwell in the corners of her eyes. But they have a steely seriousness. "We are going against the Western Empire. Lillyn, be glad that you haven't heard the stories about them that I have heard. This might be our last chance to stop them. Maryn is our last hope. If she fails- As much as I would like to stay with you, I can't. So please. Be safe, okay?"

Before I can answer, she slips my grasp. Hurrying away with tears dripping in her wake. Should I go after her? What else is there to say? I know her mind is made up. She chooses Maryn over me. No, her duty. Her world.

How could I compete? I can't even research anything useful. All boobs this and hijinks that. I guess I need to have faith. In her. And in Maryn. The good guys always win, right? I am just a trader. Fumbling around to make a mark. I guess that is all I am good for.


"There they go."

Becky's comment drew my attention away from my current trade interaction. Behind my customer, I can catch just a short glimpse of a Little Swan flying away. Just a few bells shy of noon. The airship of the church had left and I am stuck here. With my research going nowhere and no Myra to cheer me up.

To say my mood is in the crapper is an understatement. Not even my customer's reaction to Becky could lighten my mood. The first day was the most hilarious. The line in front of my Little Mule actually swayed to the side when Becky walked around. Giving her plenty of space. By now, most customers have gotten used to my "Automata". Mostly now only took one or two involuntary steps backward if Becky was close.

My mind definitely wasn't on trading either. It is constantly circling around one thought: should I follow? Maynard Mansion was good for business. Plenty of customers and I get a steady stream to void. By now I know why staying here is a coveted spot. Iren really did me a solid by getting me here. And there are still quite a few days left before I have to vacate it.

The void trader in me urges me to make the most out of it. Get as many void-favors as possible before moving on. Then I could follow Myra and the church. But what if they already moved on to the next spot? Would I be able to catch up? I mean, I could go now. Iren boasted that she could fill this spot within a day should I decide to leave early. To be honest, something in me knows I still have stuff to do at Maynard Mansion. Something here is still left to discover. To do. And I don't mean doing a few more trades.

But after that kiss-

My heart beats for Myra. What a fool I am for acknowledging it too late. And with each passing minute, the need to leave grows.

"Say, Becky, what do you know of the Pyramids of Kendo-uhm-shim-sham? Something like that," I ask as noon rolls around and it is time for lunch.

"The Pyramids of Kentoshan? A lot. Damn, I have lots of nice memories. Horrible ones too. They aren't like Maynard Mansion. A cakewalk in comparison. No, Kentoshin is for the veterans. For those shown they could handle it. A real challenge."

And newbie Maryn is dragged there. Does the church really have her best interest at heart? Becky's statement fans the flame of my worries. Maybe I should go. I need to probe my bodyguard more.

"Sounds like you miss the place."

"Well, yeah," Becky admits. As I hoped she would. "But my body got older, you know. Now, with this body and as Becky, I might be able to compete again. Heck, I might not even need a group."

"I am thinking of moving there for a few days. Change of scenery and all that. What is the situation there, void-trader wise? Would there be lots of competition?"

Becky gives me a chuckle in return. It might have been cute to others. But I can't help but remember that it is actually Nadare in there. Somehow, that disconnect between both feels strange to me. Thankfully, it looks like Becky is to give me more of an answer than a chuckle.

"You haven't heard much about it, I take it. The Pyramids Of Kentoshan are a challenge even for veterans. That makes for poor visitor count. I won't lie to you. There won't be much of a customer base. Sometimes a void trader stops for a day or two, but that is rare. Every few rotations. Soul keepers are even rarer. The only place close by is a tavern and inn that caters to the basic needs of adventurers."

That sounds perfect for staying below the radar. No wonder the church is going there. Not much trade, but that would leave me time to focus on research. I might even give meditation a try. That should cut down on research time. Becky can go reliving her past - well, Nadare's past - and maybe drag out something interesting. A harder area means better loot, right?

Alright. It is decided. I am following Myra! And the church. Whatever. But before I break camp here, I've got to do a few things. First, I have to call Iren and hope she won't be too mad. Then, I think I might try to speak to Awyn. Yes, Essie's aunt. I might have something that could be valuable in a trade.

"Excuse me, Becky, I need to make a call."

Once again into the breach. Well, my living room to use the projection system to reach Iren.

Again, I find myself in the reception area. Why do I always feel like a student being sent to the principal when I am here?

By now, the receptionist knows me. Probably not in a good way, but oh well. The wait is short until I am transferred. Not the meeting room this time and Essie isn't here.

But Iren is. Sitting behind her large desk. Relaxed. But I can see the suspicion in her eyes.

"Lillyn. I wish I could say it is good to see you. What did you do this time? Probably something giving me headaches later on."

That's not fair. I-

Well, it might be somewhat fair. Anyway, I came prepared. Just need the right moment to reveal itself.

"Nothing yet. But I am about to-"

"You won't be heading into a hardened space again. Right?"

Uhh. Her last word definitely had some fire to it. Time for damage control.

"No. No. I promise. I've got someone to do that for me now. You remember that I tried to get Automata working?"

As an answer, I get a frown and a shake of her head. "A foolish endeavor."

"Not for me. It worked. Sort of. It needs a soul crystal. I've got a volunteer! Yeah, before you accuse me of anything I wanted that to be said. The Automata I researched are not autonomous devices. Rather they act as an alternative body. I think there is real potential there. And that's why I am here. I need a private spot for the field test. Not Maynard Mansion. There, Becky - the volunteer - drew all the eyes. Something remote would be good."

Silence is settling over the room. No, Iren isn't giving me the cold shoulder. I hope so. She looks contemplative.

After a moment, she is giving me a nod. "If you think it is worthwhile. That leaves your spot free at Maynard's."

"You said I could do so. Boasting that you could get someone there within a day as a replacement."

"Oh, I can. It's just noon. If you leave soon I think I have someone who could be there by evening."

"I need a few more bells. One or two. Four at most." Because I still need to speak with Awyn. But Iren doesn't need to know that.

"That works," Iren agrees. "So, where to? Do you have a new spot in mind? I think there are a few secluded spots I could recommend."

"My volunteer suggested the Pyramids of Kentoshan." Well, sort of a white lie, but oh well.

I got a surprised quirk of her eyebrow. Is that a good sign? I hope so.

"That is certainly remote," Iren agrees. "Though I heard it is quite difficult. Are you sure your volunteer is up for it? Or your new product."

"Becky was there before and we both think the Automata body can handle it."

"Alright. It is settled then. Do let me know how your test fares. And when you need to relocate."

"Will do."

And sus, after a little bit more small talk that I spare you from, my call to Iren ends. But I am not done yet. Time to meet my next business partner. Sort of. And this one will be both harder and in person.

"I am out for a while," I say as I pass Becky. "One last meeting and we'll be on our way. I should be back in a bell or two. Looks like you can get reacquainted with the pyramids after all."

"I'll tell your customers," my bodyguard yells behind.

Right. There are already a few lining up. Well, they have to make due for half a day without a void trader. They should be pleased too. Iren probably won't send another newbie like me. Though I doubt they'll have a secret selection as I do.

Spotting my next target, I walk up their ramp. Which is thankfully lowered. Out of the sun, I can make out the person eating lunch. Something in a bowl with soup. Looks like thick noodles of some kind and meat I am definitely not familiar with. It is surprisingly yellow.

"I am not open yet," the person says without really glancing in my direction. Rather concentrating on her meal. She really has nearly the same facial features as Essie. This isn't surprising, as Awyn is Essie's aunt.

"Not even making an exception for a fellow trader?"

That got a reaction. Looking up, Awyn waved me over. "Lillyn. Good to see you. Come. Grab a seat. Did you eat already?"

Eyeing the unfamiliar meal, I rather cut that line of thought off. "Not yet, but I'll take the time once my Little Mule is in the air."

Having caught her attention, Awyn is pushing her meal to the side. "You are taking off? That is sudden. Can I ask why?"

"You've seen my Automata?"

Awyn gives me a snort in return. "Who hasn't?"

"It is time to test her," I lie. Because no one needs to know the truth. Not even Essie's aunt. Heck, I haven't even told Iren the truth. "Put her through the paces. Don't wanna do it here. Under everyone's eyes. I'll be going somewhere remote."

"I appreciate the courtesy of informing me, but perhaps you should first-"

"Iren already knows," I say to cut her off. "And I didn't just come here as a courtesy. I need to make a trade. One you might not like at first. I need to expand my inventory of goods to sell. Weapons. Armor. But I know it is frowned upon to build up a competitor. Hence, I am not sure if you are willing to help."

Instead of engaging in negotiations with me, Awyn leans back. Staring into the void. Now and then fishing for one of those noodle thingies and slurping them up. At last, she makes up her mind. Or I hope she did.

"I mostly trade in weapons. Though I can sell you armor too. I don't offer it around here to not step on Xerestes toes."

"Who?"

"The asshole who sells armor over there," Awyn answers with a lazy flick of her wrist vaguely in the right direction.

Urg, right. If I can avoid dealing with him, it would be better.

"But you are right," Awyn continues. "We void-trader don't build up our competition. Unless we get something worthwhile in return. For example, I hear you have a certain monopoly on a line of eccentric garments."

Her hands cupping her breasts is entirely unnecessary. I know that she is after my enchant-up bras.

"I am not ready to depart with those. Yet. And when I do, I have a different person in mind to take over. Someone we both know."

"Lillyn. I like you. You are strange. Different. In a good way. But as much as I love my niece, if that is off the table, what else can you offer me? All sympathy won't buy you this favor."

"This will," I say as I materialize a small box with a display. "This little device might help you secure your spot as one of the best, if not the best, weapon sellers in Besona. It is an enchantment storage device. Place it on a workbench along with an enchanted item, and this device will learn one of the enchantments each cycle. A different mode lets you place a targeted enchantment on a blueprint. Both actions cost a few void-favors, but the result might be more than worth it."

Thinking deeply, Awyn picks up the device just to stare at it. Probably running calculations in her mind. Her next question I anticipated. "Just one enchantment per item?"

"So far, I managed four without a problem. I do not know what the limit is as I haven't really tried yet to find it."

"I'd say you have caught my interest," Awyn finally says as she places the recorder back down. "What deal exactly are you envisioning?"

"You keep the device and use it to your fullest, but the design rights remain with me. In exchange, I get to buy weapons and armor of my choosing from you for a fair market price."

"Deal," Awyn says before I can finish. Offering her hand to make it official.


By the time I am ready to leave Essie's aunt, my soul inventory is loaded up with three boxes. One containing weapons and the other two various pieces of equipment. If one would look into it they might find no rime or reason for my selection. I decided based on enchantments. None are double and each is on a piece the cheapest I could find. Recording those all might take a rotation or two, but afterward, I should be able to create heavily enchanted gear for Maryn.

"It was a pleasure doing business with you," Awyn says with the last handshake.

"Likewise."

I barely walked a few steps down the ramp when Awyn addresses me one last time. "Oh, and Lillyn-"

"Yes?"

Lifting the device up she throws one last revelation at my head. "If you ever create a device for recording blueprints, let me know."

The fuck! A device for blueprints? Why haven't I thought of that? Just think of the implications. Iren told me that one of the hurdles for void-trader families was the passing along of their stock to the next generation. Heck, Pasus is still learning the staple of his family. It takes time. A lot of it. Not everyone has a void score of thirteen and can breeze through it. Such a device would change the landscape for void-traders forever.

Could I do it? How did I create the enchantment recorder in the first place? I think I used the mp3 player I got from the church and lipstick. Trying to put sound effects on the lipstick. Well, I doubt the device was inspired by the lipstick.

So, let's take it apart. What is a music player good for? Well, to store and playback music. Pretty sure the storing effect comes from that. Now for the focus on enchantments. Neither, player nor lipstick had enchantments before. So, where did it come from? Could it be just from me thinking about creating an enchantment? Well, Pasus told me our subconscious thinking might impact results. So, that's gotta be it, right?

Wow. I think this is the first time I could actually logically trace how one of Besona's crazy results came to be. So, can I replicate this? Let's see. For storing blueprints, the music player will do fine. And for blueprints? Well, I got all these diagrams from the Automata workshop. And then I have to think about what I want. No, more than that. I have to meditate on that.

Guys, this might actually work. If this works then-

What the hell is going on in front of my Little Mule? There is a crowd of people around the ramp.

"Excuse me! Let me through! What is this-"

Fuck. It is Becky. Positioned on the ramp. Her sword is drawn and she is blindfolded. Why? Now and then, someone is tossing fruit or vegetables at her. No, more like throwing. Becky isn't just dodging them gracefully. Even before the edible projectile can come near her, her slim sword arcs out and slices it apart. It was punctured by a cheer from the crowd that rises in fervor as Becky hits each half again before they hit the ground.

This is a display of strength, dexterity, and perception. Showing everyone how badass Becky is. She told me her new Automata body was nearly as good as Nadare's body in his prime. If so, Nadare must have been the boss. I mean, the level of Hercules or so.

Wait. Guys. My first research of an Automata produced something nearly as good as a human who steeled and trained their body for two decades. Holy shit. It's a shortcut. It is the motherfucking queen of shortcuts. With one of my Automata bodies, Maryn can jump ahead of the curve. Sure, it won't give her the necessary skills, but her body will be a powerhouse of prowess. And if I put a few research cycles on the Automata body, who knows how much stronger I can make it?

"Okay. The show is over!" I say stepping forward, just as Becky manages to hit two fruit thrown at the same time with a single slice of her sword.

A bunch of boos and awws. I don't have time for that. We need to get moving. I've got stuff to research. Oh man, I can't wait to tell Myra about my discoveries.

"There will be a replacement trader here within a day," I yell into the crowd. Shoo-ing them away. As soon as the ramp is clear, I have to ask Becky: "What was all that about?"

"Your customers gathered and I told them we were leaving. And because you weren't around they got curious enough to ask about my Automata body. So, I demonstrated some of the capabilities."

"I could see that. Impressive." Hopefully not too much. I mean, I want to get it to the masses. More void-favors, you know? With rezzing the body for Becky and buying stuff from Awyn, I am nearly broke. But I want to concentrate on Maryn. Heck, could you imagine if the Western Empire gets wind of my Automata? That would put a target on my back. "You didn't tell them about needing a soul crystal for the Automata body to work, right?"

"It hasn't come up yet."

That is good. Time to close the ramp and then program the autopilot. But maybe some praise is due.

"That display of capabilities was impressive, but I doubt it was all the Automata body."

"To utilize a body correctly takes skill and I learned a few things in my time adventuring." I thought Becky was done humble-bragging when she suddenly continues. "Though I have to admit, I might get more out of this body once I am more used to it. Some of the more hidden capabilities."

Say, what? Did I miss something? I had so many revelations right now, I am not sure I can stomach another one. Damn. I gotta know. Or else this might gnaw at me the whole day.

Play it nonchalant, Lillyn. Just be cool. "Such as?"

"Well, I hardly can test the 'auto-equip on death' feature," Becky says with a shrug. "As I was already dead when I was mounted in it."

"Say what now?" Did I hear correctly?

"Auto-equip on death. You don't know?" My confusion must be evident as Becky started to stare in the distance and read out loud. "Feature: if present in inventory while the owner suffers a fatal injury, this body will automatically materialize and equip emerging soul-crystal."

"That's-" Fuck! That's brilliant. Like, oh no, I am dead. But not really! Got a spare body. Or two or three. Depends on how many you carry with you. Heck, adventurers might be able to cram even more into their inventory. That's the ultimate get out of jail card. Well, out of death card. This might be exactly what Maryn needs. Even if an assassin gets through, Maryn will pop right up.

"We need to get moving," I say aloud. "But first, research."

Come on, Lillyn. What to put on the research bench? Stuff I bought from Awyn? Damn, if I am right about the Automata bodies, then this avenue of research might be useless. Curses! I might have bought all this equipment for naught.

And even if I research the weapons and armor from Awyn, is there a guarantee I will get something useful? I mean with my luck, Besona will shimmy a boob joke in there anyways. I mean the last few days have been one after another boob-related failure. Nearly as if-

Holy shit! What if this was Besona's way of saying: "Hey, Lillyn. Wrong-way. You are meant to research something different." And then I got Automata and that worked brilliantly. Until I tried to switch to equipment. Besona came back with a vengeance to put boobs literally in my way. I am driving down the big-boob interstate and Besona is like "leave at the next exit and turn on Automata avenue", but I ignored my Navi.

Okay. Weapons and armor are out for now. I don't wanna find out how a double-D cup Warhammer looks like. That leaves Automata and- Damn. I wanted to try that blueprint thingy. It could be helpful, right? Okay, Besona. One more tiny detour and then we go Automata all the way. Deal? Great.

Alright. Music player and as many blueprints I can fit in a box. Both on the bench. Now, time to program the autopilot. Alright, we are on the way. Pyramids of Kendobento, here we come.

Yes, this feels good. Like, I have a purpose. Look, I don't think I am the hero of the story. That's Maryn. But maybe it is no accident I landed here after all. Maybe I've got a role to play. No hero is truly alone. Just think about it. This world was saved by Maryn. And then an asterisk. With the fine print below: sponsored by Lillyn. You're welcome.

Puh. This was an exhausting day. And it is only early afternoon. I need a break. Talk to you all later, okay?

up
128 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

FYI about future parts of TTkFMMAT

Hey Mac,

continuing TTkFMMAT was long overdue.
Here a little overview:
Part 21 - 12/3/2021 - written - edited
Part 22 - 12/10/2021 - written - edit pending
Part 23 - 12/17/2021 - written - edit pending
Part 24 - 12/24/2021 - written - edit pending
Part 25 - 12/31/2021 - written - edit pending
Part 26 - 1/7/2022 - 3/4 written
Part 27 - 1/14/2022 - to be written

As I am nearly done writing it, there shouldn't be any hiccups with future parts coming late.

Hugs and kisses,
Cassy

Damn, dead guy!

Lovely walks! And Lovely Kiss!!!

...

I wonder what happens if a Soul Crystal's left in a Hardened Space? I guess the monsters smash it? :grimace:

I was hoping that Lillyn would send Becky in to rescue the Crystal, but no. :(

...

Getting Maryn into an Automata would need her to die first... Uh... ... Hmm... Armor Set + Automata = Mechanical Girl Armor or something...

Maynard Maid Uniform + Automata = ???

...

Wow! Wrong-way sign! That meme! Such reference! Much wow!

...

Buster Sword. BUST... I see.

...

If the Tea smell of Pasus's place is actually from his place... Ship Becky and Pasus? Hidden Features... Might one of them Hidden Capabilities be... a "fully-functional" body?

Heck, Pasus needs a bodyguard more than Lillyn does?

...

Pyramids... I can make a boob-joke out of that... The big question is if it's like Egypt and we're gonna see some undead! What kinda monsters are in there... ... And how has the Space lasted for apparently decades?

...

The MP3 Player... More than one blueprint can come from a single Research... Recorder Speedup / enhanced storage, along with the wanted result?

Something to turn already created items into Blueprints without going through the Personal Research step? Hmm... Options options...

Oh, so many theories.

So many theories.
Time to pop them like balloons with a needle. XD

The left behind soul-crystal: Soul-crystals can't be destroyed by natural means. They are immune to physical or magical damage. However, they do have an expiration date. If the crystal isn't recovered in time, then it dissolves on its own and releases the soul. This soul-crystal has the potential to be picked up by other adventurers though.

Sending Becky in: The logic of why Becky sticks to Lillyn's side is laid bare in part 19.

Automata + armor set: There are easier ways to research mechanical exo-skeletons, you know?

Maynard Maid Uniform + Automata = Achievement unlocked "reincarnation of maynard"! Fully perviness reached. (I am joking. Maynards soul is still trapped in the wharf)

Buster sword: That's a nod to the final fantasy series. Most specifically to FF7. They came up with the term for a special kind of weapon. I "borrowed" it.

Smelling tea halfway around the continent: Maybe I wasn't clear enough. Projections don't carry smell. That means, despite appearing to be far away, the smell of her own Little Mule still haunts her. There is no escaping the licorice stench. Suffer, Lillyn. Suffer.

How can one make a boob joke from pyramids? No, really. I am asking. (Also centuries. Not decades.)

Thanks for playing "plot conspiracy theories" with me, Malady.
Better luck next time. ;P

Hugs and kisses,
Cassy

Aw, I was hoping for a last

Aw, I was hoping for a last delve to get the ship prototype. Also, the buster sword isn't percentage based. The guy who was saving up for soulshaping might be pretty interested in the combination of nonpercentage temporary (I assume, as it is a distraction, but not actually stated to revert upon time or any other factor.) growth and the percentage based permanent growth lipstick.

Becky is such a resource, I'm surprised Lillyn isn't asking to borrow her items for research, offering a trade up if unlocked as payment.

Mp3 player isn't the only item of record she has. How about the cd, or the paper trove from Maynard? Mp3 player and soul-android or just soulcharger migh be interesting. Also, I still want her to see if she could put a research bench on the research bench.

The big question is what she needs to sustain research focus. Does she have the void favours to go off researching without trading? Will the local customers be able to sustain her research?

To answer your theories..

Ahh, another player for the game "plot conspiracy theories".
Let's play!

Ah, yes. The prototype ship. The shiny (actually rusty) gift that keeps on giving. Well, it is hidden in the hardest part of Maynard Mansion. It would be nuts for Lillyn to go in there. Even if she somehow would survive that, would she survive the spanking she would get from Essie and Iren? But then again ask yourself: is the ship Chekov's Gun or just a red herring?

The buster sword creates a growths enchantment. And those are percent wise. However, it is hard to nail down how much percent as it depends on the charge. Which can still grow as more enemies are hacked to pieces.

Yes, borrowing items from Becky might be an option. But we all know Lillyn by now, right? Asking isn't her strong suit and she has plenty of stuff to research on her own. Getting even more stuff might not even cross her mind.

To put a research bench on a research bench she first needs a research bench aside from the one she owns.

Sustainable research: well, we will find out soon enough, right?

Thanks for your comment and questions.
I really like seeing my readers involved in the story this much.

Until next time.
Hugs and kisses,
Cassy

As always...

... Lillyn gets the booby prize.

Domo arigato mizz Roboto...

When the robot body catches on, the soul flake revivers may get pissed at her. Who wants to pay that much for a human body when you can buy a robot body with an auto-resurrect feature? I wonder how many soul crystals there are that the soul resurrection people won't touch.

Maybe Lillyn can figure out how to make a male robot. I'm sure that most of the adventurers would prefer to be rezzed as a male. She can even put herself into a male body... if she gets to keep her void trader stats, and if her harem of almost lovers don't reject her.

Thanks Cassy

Podracer's picture

So much enjoying this series again :)
So - a new theory on the bias coming up in Lillyn's research. And I thought that it was her own bodily burden that was weighting the results.

"Reach for the sun."