Thanks Truck-kun For Making Me A Trader - Part 9/27

Printer-friendly version

Good morning my loyal imaginary audience. Sorry that I haven't talked to you in the past five days.

I felt a little under the weather.

Moving on. Essie is calling. It's a bit early. In fact, I am still munching on my breakfast. Normally, we chat in the evening. Right after my walk with Pasus. Strange how quick habits can form.

It doesn't take me more than a thought to accept her call. After all, my Little Mule and I are connected through magic or some shit.

Contrary to normally, Essie is still in her casual clothes. A tank top and a short skirt. I know later she would change into more conservative attire for her void-trader duties. But now, she gave a bountiful view of her skin and assets. Was that on purpose? Ever since talking to Iren, I can't shake the feeling that Essie is trying to seduce me.

"Morning Lillyn." Essie gives me another of her concerned looks. I grew tired of them in the last few days. "How are you holding up?"

"Fine! Everything is back to normal. I told you I don't wanna talk about it anymore."

"It is perfectly normal-"

"To move on with another topic? I think so too."

Essie is giving me a big sigh and then shakes her head. What a drama queen. So theatric. Thankfully she got the hint.

"How goes your foolhardy quest of researching junk? We all at the hub are very curious if it will work out."

Damn. Essie really has a knack for backstabbing me with uncomfortable topics. I pull one dagger out and she already has the next one ready.

"It doesn't. I am stuck!" There. I said it out loud. "Everything went great. I got a few fabrics out of it and gradually researched less damaged fabric scraps of garments. I even got to the point that I do have access to all the parts of the servant maid set. Skirt, stockings, dress uniforms, and so on. But in a very badly damaged state."

"That sounds like great progress. So, what's the hold-up?"

"I can't progress further anymore. Previously I could pop two of the same level scrap onto the research bench and I would research a less damaged version out of it. But ever since I researched the individual parts of the uniform it doesn't work anymore."

Essie leans on the wall and thinks it over. Giving me time to return to my breakfast. That took precedence. I wasted enough time thinking about this dilemma in the past few days.

"Maybe something else is needed to progress further?"

"No shit Sherlock."

"What is a Sherlock and what has it to do with not defecating?"

"It's a saying from Earth. Don't worry about it."

"That reminds me!"

Essie is pushing off the wall and comes over to sit at my small table. If she hadn't been half-transparent I might have forgotten she is only a projection.

"The Church Of The Otherworldy finally responded to your request."

It was about damn time. Look, some aspects of Besona still don't make sense to me. I thought someone from the church might know more. Luckily I already knew someone sympathetic to my plight. Myra had been the acolyte priestess I literally stumbled into the moment I arrived at Besona. While I only had a moment with her she appeared to be nice and not stuck up like the rest of the church. I asked Essie if she could locate Myra for me and get her to contact me. That was about two rotations ago.

"And?"

Essie is leaning forward. Giving me a good view of her assets. No, Lillyn, don't get distracted. You got your own. More than enough to entertain yourself. Come on, Essie. Spill the tea already.

"It's strange. So far I always got a reply along the lines of no comment. But now they said Myra is on an errand and not available for some time. Since when is the church running around? They only have a temple in our town. It doesn't make sense. Where else would they go?"

"Where indeed."

Maybe it has to do with the arrival of Marie. The intended hero that arrived after me on Besona. Like me, she is from Earth. However, as much as I trust Essie I better keep my thoughts about it secret. I mean I confided in her that I researched junk as an experiment. Next thing I know the whole trader hub she is working at knows about it.

No, I didn't tell her to keep it secret. I thought that was granted. This experiment was a long shot anyway.

"Well, that is all I have for you today," Essie suddenly revealed. Standing up and stretching. "I've got to get going. Counter duty."

"See you around. And thanks for telling me."

Instead of a reply, Essie only gives me a wink and then vanishes. Once again I am alone. Not for long as my own counter duty was about to start. A long day of dealing with customers. Yay! Or not. With each day it becomes more of a chore. I wish I could take another day off or two, but I already did in the last few days. It only means more customers will be waiting on the next day.

Talk to you later.

....

....

Oh shit. I know that guy coming up the ramp. That's Nardare if I remember right. Last time he had a simple request and I blew him off. More than that, I was off my rockers because I once again missed out on some crazy aspect of Besona. At least at that point. Now I knew better.

To be honest, I dreaded this moment. It is time for my reckoning.

"Is it okay if I trade with you?"

Nardare's question caught me off guard for a second. His voice is rough. Weary. Watching me closely with piercing grey eyes.

"It is," I assure him. "But before that-"

Deep breath, Lillyn. You can do it. Time to lie your ass off. But convincingly. Here we go.

"I've been meaning to apologize to you. Last time I wasn't in a good state of mind. I nearly lost a soul-crystal before. The soul-guide was late and there was only one day left. And before I got these strange unsavory offers. I hope we can put my little outburst behind us."

There. How is that for an apology? Yes, I own up to my mistakes. Even those based on bad intel.

Come on, Nardare. Answer me already. Stop looking at me like that. It reminds me of my old principal when I was sent to him for another misdeed I did. I mean, not a misdeed. Misunderstanding. That's it. Hmm. Nardare might be around the same age as the old dean.

"I guess that is alright," Nardare finally rumbled out. "My friend got resurrected just fine. It's all good."

The hard look on his face is softening and he offers me a hand. Of course, I shake it. But still, his eyes look at mine. Something of that strikes me as eerie. But what?

My tits! Sorry, I mean my chest. He has not looked once at it. Not even a glance. Despite my breasts having plus ten to distraction. Okay, there is no such stat in Besona, but you know what I mean right? Everyone glances at them. Some were more covert than others, but they all fell for them. Even gay people. But not so this guy. I mean this is what I want from every customer, but now that I have what I wanted it feels strange. Do you know what I mean?

"Can we trade now?"

"Oh, right. Yeah."

I let go of the hand and sit back down at my counter. Damn, that man was strange. Barely speaks any words but still manages to rattle me.

"Do you want to void items?"

"Yes."

What the hell? Now he is offering me his hand for trade and I see three soul-inventory icons for crates. Each one with a void-favor value of above a thousand. Altogether it is close to three and a half thousand. That's a lot more than the usual value for junk. Color me intrigued.

A trade later I got three crates of congealed Zitoraxs slime. The two more valuable ones I void outright. The third I intend to keep. Slime, in general, doesn't sound intriguing, but I've got to find out what makes it so valuable.

"Something else?" I ask after trading back the void-favors owed. Minus my ten percent cut. "I got a few good potions that-"

"No, thank you."

He's just walking away like that? No goodbye or so? Maybe if I-

"Thanks for trading. Come again."

A lazy wave of the hand while walking down my ramp. That's all I get? What a vexing man. So different from my usual clientele. I am not even sure if I should be annoyed, offended, or just plain confused.

Anyway. Back to work.

....

....

"You are unusually quiet," I remark.

I was on my daily walk with Pasus in the evening. Normally, he would entertain me with a bit of background and history of the mansion or its inhabitants. Or amusing little stories of him growing up in a trader family. But today, he was quiet. Barely spoken a word. Now we just passed the small path to the hedge labyrinth and I had enough. What is up with him?

As an answer, I got a deep sigh, and Pasus stopped. Instead, he is looking at me, his gaze is off in the distance.

"Lillyn, what do you know about the Western Empire?"

That does ring a bell. I think Essie mentioned it a few times in passing.

"Not much. Why?"

"They are progressing."

What's that supposed to mean? And why should I care? Or Pasus for that matter.

"And?"

"They are early." Shaking himself out of the stupor, Pasus finally looks at me. "Sorry. The Western Empire is an enigma. They started out about fifty years ago on a small island. Every five years, without fail, they conquer a new country. Steadily advancing eastward. But now, they not only declared war on three neighboring countries a year early, but two already have capitulated. Rumor is that the third one won't last much longer."

There is a predatory empire rampaging around? Maybe that's why Marie was summoned from Earth. And by extension, I landed here by accident.

"Are they that close?"

"Not really. About two rotations of flight time in our Little Mules. It is just those rumors. They say the Western Empire is abducting valuable void traders and dragging them back west."

Right. Pasus is a member of a prolific merchant family. It makes sense to target him. Should I be worried too? Probably not yet, but if word gets out of my high void aptitude then all bets are off. Not to mention if I discover more new products. At least if they are related to warfare. I doubt the Western Empire wants to equip its soldiers with breast-increasing brassieres.

"You are worried they might come for you."

"No. Not really. But my family is." Now, Pasus looks away from me. Unable to look me into the eyes. "There was a big conference call last night. The family decided to move operations up to the north and far east. All members are to shift positions immediately."

"Wait." I push on his shoulder to make him turn around and face me. "You are saying you are leaving?"

"Yes, Lillyn," Pasus admits with a frown. "I don't want to, but they're family. I can't simply deny their request. Not when they are looking out for me."

So that's why he has been so quiet. This will be our last walk together. To be honest, I've grown appreciative of them. And of Pasus. He has become a good friend. As much as Essie is. Maybe even a little more. I'd be lying if I said I won't miss him.

"When will you leave?"

"This night. I should have gone yesterday but I wanted to say goodbye in person. And to give you this."

Instead of showing a soul-inventory icon in his hand, Pasus is summoning a physical copy. Materializing into something gleaming and metallic.

"A bracelet?"

Is this a gift? As in a special gift. Maybe the customs in Besona dictate a special meaning.

"It's a Bracelet Of Shielding. One of the artifacts my family offers. It can cast a shield spell around you if needed. It is not as strong as a skilled mage could, but it might prevent some harm from coming to you. May I?"

Pasus is asking for my wrist and why not? I let him put the bracelet on me. It is a practical gift and surprisingly thoughtful of him. Normally I don't give a hoot about jewelry but this might be useful later. Not to mention that it isn't one of those dainty girly bracelets. It is quite wide. The individual parts are even a little chunky. Most of it is some grey metal, but it has a pattern of lines in what I think is silver engraved into it. On my wrist, it flares out slightly and hoses a big blue gem and four small red ones. Yep, not girly. This is what I expected a practical artifact with enchantment to look like.

A weak chuckle makes me look up to Pasus.

"I can see the wheels turning in your head," he taunts me.

"Is that so? What am I thinking?"

"You already trying to guess of ways to modify the bracelet through research."

Oh damn, he is right. This opens up a whole new line of research. It also means I have access to a second enchantment in general. At least in theory.

"I wouldn't do that to you, Pasus. It's your family's exclusive, right? I won't steal a blueprint from you."

"Lillyn, it is only stealing if you sell it as is or only slightly improve it. If you change the bracelet in a major way or manage to transfer the enchantment then it's all yours. In fact, I kind of hope you manage to enchant your normal wardrobe. It would keep you safer, right?"

"Right. I'll try my best. Maybe one day I can repay you by giving you a few items with the transferred enchantment."

"If you want. It's not why I gave this to you. Now, how about we enjoy the rest of our walk?"

Once again he is offering me his arm and I take it. We continue our walk, but maybe we both are a little hesitant. Walking slower than usual.

"I guess this will be the last time we talk for a while."

"Well, we could call each other through projections. It isn't cheap, but I could afford one once a rotation."

"Our Little Mules can do that?"

"Sure. You didn't know that?"

"No one told me."

That would have been nice to know. Thanks, Essie. Next call we have some talking to do. Wait, maybe she didn't mention it on purpose? Trying to keep me to herself? Nah, I probably imagine things. Since Iren came by I am a little paranoid around Essie.

"All you need is the serial number of the Little Mule you want to call. Mine is seven three nine six. Do you know yours?"

Do I? Maybe Iren mentioned it once.

"Not from the top of my head."

"Well, looks like you have to call me first. Then you can give me your number and I can take the next turn to call."

"It's a deal."

A few more steps brought us to the path in front of the servant dormitory. But we both stopped as something shot through the sky. Slowing down, I could make out the elegant shape of a Little Swan. But this one was trice as long as the one of the soul-guide. A few times the length of my own Little Mule. Clearly, it was a Little Swan upgraded to the max.

"Who's that?" I ask as it was setting down in the spot usually reserved for the soul-guide.

"Not a soul-guide or the Church Of The Otherworldly. They are the ones usually traveling by Little Swan," Pasus muses out loud. "Probably the kid of someone rich or royal. They travel in luxury and have a small hoard of retainers who drag them through hardened spaces to farm soul-flakes fast. Wouldn't be the first time, but I admit I have never seen a Little Swan this much upgraded."

"I'll probably find out soon enough. Hope they aren't too spoiled and demand things I can't provide."

"All bets are off on that one."

"Great."

All too soon we arrive at Pasus' Little Mule. Time to say goodbye. Well, we can still talk. But it won't be in person. I might continue my walks around the courtyard in the evening, but it might be not as good without the company.

Arriving at my own ship, I can't help but unequip the bracelet and shift it into soul-inventory form. My curiosity is just too great.

> Bracelet Of Shielding <
> A plain bracelet that was modified to house an enchantment. <
> Enchanted: minor cumulative personal shield <
> Active ability: Spends charge to summon a personal shield or reinforce an already established one. <
> Passive ability: While inactive it collects 23 points of charge each bell up to 451 points. An active shield steadily loses 46 points of charge for each bell.
> 672 void-favors <

Well, that is quite intriguing. From the looks of it, the bracelet takes quite a while to fully charge and it won't last forever. Those four hundred and fifty-one points aren't much either. Not even a tenth of my own health points. Still, it might work in a pinch and absorb a few strikes of an enemy. Not that I want to find out. Still, with a little research, I might improve upon it.

Well, I wish you all a good evening for now. It is time to chew out Essie for her tardiness to reveal some information. But you don't need to witness that.



Hey readers,

once again Cassy_Bee here.

I've got great news for you. For you, I constantly work to improve my writing to give you the best experience possible. That's why I recently watched a ton of youtube videos on how to write stories involving all five senses. Exciting, right?

However, all five might be a bit hard to do right at the start. So, starting at part 10 I will add taste. That's right. Taste! Get ready for Lillyn to lick everything and everyone. Followed by a description in excruciating detail. I hardly can wait. Can you?

That's all for today. Cya ya next time.

Hugs and kisses,
Cassy

up
173 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Now I'm worried.

Nadare's like an automaton. That's worrying.

Him just dropping off high value goods, like he's skipping town or something. Even more so.

Nasus (Whoops... Pasus) leaving too, reduces the number of people Lillyn has to call upon if she gets in trouble in this place.

The Western Empire's Advance... And Myra leaving, might both be connected... Is Myra a Western Spy??

Things are forming into suspicions for the Western Empire's methods, and they're going nowhere good.

My bet. They can expand Hardened Spaces. Trapping the Traders inside, and, using them automatically, like NPCs, instead of people...

Now, Lillyn's conversation with Essie, and the romance plot, is on the backburner, in my mind...

Thankfully, Lillyn's got a full costume. Hopefully she'll get it fixed, before the Western Empire / Automatons, come calling...

Oooh... No, if the Westerners manage to recruit Maynard, he could hack the Little Mules or something... That's terrifying...

----

Although, the chipper / positive Author's Note goes a way to assuaging my worries... But how and why would she be tasting things? ... Lol if the stuff Nadare dropped off, are like Bertie Botts' Every Flavor Beans...

Besona does have a lotta different foods. Lillyn's gotta taste them to really know if they taste good... Hopefully that's close...

aww, bye bye Pasus

I guess that foils my attempts to ship the two of them, at least for now.

DogSig.png

Congealed Slime + shield bracelet = ?

What does researching these create? A shielding jelly bracelet?
Or maybe a shielding gel that can be applied to the little mule or clothing?
Or what about:

  • Maid uniform part (badly damaged) + fabric scrap = ?
  • Maid uniform part (badly damaged) + leather = ?
  • congealed slime x 2 = ? reanimated slime ?
  • congealed slime + leather = ?botulism ?
  • congealed slime + leather = ? black latex paint ?

Please write more and please have more research questions answered...

One of your guesses...

One of your guesses might actually work.
And don't worry.
Researching wacky stuff is a vital part of TTkFMMAT.

Hugs and kisses,
Cassy

Natural curiosity?

Jamie Lee's picture

Lillyn seems to have a natural curiosity, or she would be getting ideas when she receives new items. Was this something Leon has as well? It's her curiosity that will help her improve items and even discover something new.

What's this Western Empire? And why conquer others? And why every five years? Is it so they can have time to develop better items from the items they take during conquest?

Pasus not wanting to leave gives a hint he really likes Lillyn. It also shows he's a loyal person, despite his not wanting to leave. Often doing the right thing is hard to do. And if he wasn't sweet on Lillyn, he wouldn't have walked with her each evening, give her the bracelet, or offer to talk with her long distance.

Others have feelings too.