Thanks Truck-kun For Making Me A Trader - Part 19/27

Printer-friendly version

"I am doing the right thing. Right?"

Of course, no one answers my question. Well, I am alone, after all. Nearly. Becky is there. But, of course, she is silent. Still missing a core. And there comes the other person into play. Well, only technically do they count as a person. Right now, he or she is only a soul-crystal I am holding in my hand.

"It is an opportunity. The ability to collect the needed soul-flakes for revival before the soul-guide needs them."

Who am I trying to convince? The soul-crystal who can't hear or talk? Or myself? I don't even know what gender the person is whose soul-crystal I am holding. Were they male or female? Because I can only offer them a female body. As far as I know, Maynard never even built male automata. That pervert. So, there is a fifty-fifty chance I might gender-bend whoever it is. And believe me, waking up in a body and gender not your own can be very uncomfortable. I should know. As you know, I have too much hands-on experience on the subject.

Still, I need to know if it works. The research of combining a soul-crystal charger and an automata chest was a success. At least that's what the description sounds like. Even installed on Becky, the torso looks ready. Instead of the small round opening where an Automata core should go, a large cavity is folded open. Looks a little bit like a chest-buster from Aliens escaped. You know. The movies with- Nevermind. The cavity should be large enough to accommodate a soul-crystal, but will the rest work?

There is more to it than just moving the Automata body. Will they remember who they are without a proper revival by a soul-guide? If they do, how angry will they be with me? Still, I have to do it. Else the trip to the servant quarters of the mansion would have been for nothing. Not to mention that I pissed off a lot of people by going in there. I still need to apologize to Iren and Essie. Not to mention that Dera is still mad at me.

"Okay. Here we go, Lillyn. Nice and easy. If they don't like it, you can still pull the crystal and hand it over to the soul-guide."

There weren't exactly clamps inside the cavity of the Automata. Like the soul-crystal charger has. Instead, it looks like a perfect mold for it. Not just for the hexagonal crystal, but for the two brass rings that circle it too. As soon as I place it in the chest it starts to close. Folding back up automatically and hiding the crystal. The seams of the cover vanished as soon as the panel closed up. How the hell am I supposed to get it out again?

Well, here goes nothing. Becky is stirring. Time to find out how badly I messed up. Hopefully she-

"Finally! Took you long enough. If I had heard one more monologue of yours. I swear I would have preferred the final death."

Okay. Color me stunned. That's a saying, right? Anyway, Becky is up and moving. Success. Well, at least she isn't jumping at my throat. That counts as one, right? Wait, what was that about-

"You heard my monologues?"

"You talk a lot. Yes, Lillyn I heard you talking to yourself. A lot. I guess no one told you that soul-crystals could see and hear?"

"They do?"

Fricking blupple-pulp on a stick. She heard everything. Well, everything in the showroom. Damn, now I am glad I haven't run around naked in here.

"Yes. That's why most traders store soul-crystals in a box. Let me tell you that's never fun. Especially on the outer fringes of settled space where soul-guides come only every half a dozen rotations. At least here, I had some entertainment."

Great. Lillyn the soap opera. Why did no one tell me?

"Glad to be of service. I am just relieved you aren't furious with me, Bec- Uhm, what do I call you?"

"We actually met a few times. Kind of ironic that I ended up in one of those automata." Not helpful dude. Come to the point. "You probably have forgotten my name. It is Becky."

"Ha, funny."

"I didn't mean to say that. I meant to say I am Becky."

Ha. I think the Automata's body is screwing with her. I named it Becky and now she is. You have no idea how glad I am. Well, I don't want 'Becky' to suffer, but damn am I glad that for once, Besona isn't messing with me.

"It appears naming the body overrides your own name in a way."

"Yeah, I figured as much." Becky looks contemplative at me for a moment. Whatever she thought of, she must have come to a conclusion. "Listen. I am the old geezer no one likes. The adventurer that should have retired years ago. I sold you those near undamaged automata bodies."

"Nadare!"

"Yes. That's me. I was Nadare. Wait, now I can say I am Becky? Nope. The present tense is still out. Looks like I can only refer to myself as Nadare in the past tense."

"Shit!" My fear came true. "Listen, dude. Sorry for genderbending you. I didn't know you were male and- Are you listening to me? Where are you staring at?"

Becky looked at me again. Or is it Nadare? This is a confusing situation.

"My stats screen. It is different from usual. Right. The genderbending. Listen, at first I was upset about the prospect. But I had a few bells time to come to terms with it. And you did make a few good points in your endless monologues. And what the heck, I walked in my old body for nearly five decades. Time for a change. And I must admit this body - while strange - feels nice."

Dude! Why are you grabbing your breasts? That's got to be a clique. Well, I did too. But I had a good reason. Mine are huge. And it wasn't appreciative.

"Are you really okay with this? I know I didn't-"

Oh, shit. Said too much. Put that car in reverse. Are there memory-erasing potions?

"You are an Automata too?" Now I am even more under scrutiny by Becky. Great. She is studying me again. "I don't see ball joints."

"I am not." Think Lillyn, think. How do I get out of this mess? Potions! "You see, I tested an experimental potion for money. It messed me up really well. Even my stats are all out of wack. Now only my void-magic is good and I came here to start over. You know. To build a new identity."

"I guess the potion's main ingredient must have been Honeyfirn," Becky muses out loud. Well, knowing that ingredient by reputation, the guess isn't half bad. "That's why I always tell the adventurers I take under my wing to never drink potions with an iffy description or unknown effect listed."

If so, I wouldn't be able to use half the stuff I researched. Wait, even knowing what it does I can't use half the stuff I got for one reason or another. I blame Besona. Really, I do.

"Yeah, well, that potion was a one-way street. And now here I am. At least you should be able to return to normal. Once you have the soul-flakes to revive yourself. Or you could go the normal way."

Hmm? Did I ever tell you how soul-guides operate in regards to revivals? Both, Pasus and Myra, had told me. You see it takes about five thousand soul-flakes to revive someone. Not cheap. I know. And when someone dies they lose all soul-flakes on them. Which makes it even harder for the people who just found themselves reduced to a soul-crystal.

So, either you have a good friend who fronts you the soul-flakes, or the soul-guide revives you on credit. With a ten percent mark-up. So, you have to pay back five thousand five hundred. And you have to pay them back. Because soul-guides aren't a charity either. If you die while being in debt, they won't front you for another loan. They rather let you die a true death. Yeah, cold, I know.

"You know what?" Becky asks me. "I think I'll stay awhile like this. It's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Provided you'll allow me."

I shrug. What is there to do, really? I mean it is perfect really if she volunteers. Or he?

"You are already in the Automata. I don't even know how to get you out of it."

Becky is pointing to her stats screen. Which is invisible. A kind of useless gesture that- Wait a minute. It appeared. We can show each other's screens? Now I am curious what other people's stats screens look like. I wonder if Myra will show me hers. Or is that some kind of private thing? Changing it might be very intimate. Show me yours and I show you mine.

No. Hold on a minute. I knew stat screens could be shared. Now I remember. Iren showed me how you can make a tradeable holographic card out of it. Then why can I see Becky's screen without such a card?

"Apparently-" Becky's words got me out of my musing. "This body is still owned by you. You can't see my stats screen right now, but-"

"I can." Oh boy, I can. And yes, right at the top - below the name - there was a field for the owner, and my name was listed.

"You can?"

For the first time today, Becky looked truly shocked. Time to defuse it.

"Well, I don't think I see your real stats screen. Yes, I still own the Automata body. I can see that now. But I think automata have their own stat screen. That's what I am seeing right now. Along with some options and an empty soul inventory."

"But my inventory isn't empty. Ah, I see. Automata have their own ones. Mine is inaccessible to you. But I guess you could use the one from my new body freely."

A few balls of material appear in front of Becky. Making that swirling dance that results in garments. I think it is the first time seeing someone getting dressed with it. And no, Dera donning my boots or enchanty bra doesn't count. I mean going the full nine yards. One moment Becky is naked. The next I see her decked out in leather. Some kind of armor with added metal plates on certain areas. Heavy boots, leather leggings, and armor for the shin made out of iron. I know they have a special name, but it beats me what it is right now. Further up is a belt that holds the sheath for a curved sword and pouches for potions. Rounding the outfit off are leather and metal bracers.

Holy damn. One moment I saw a naked model. Next, a badass stands there. Decked out to kick some butt. I mean Nadare looked like a warrior, but somehow Becky is more imposing. It is hard to imagine that he lost in a fight.

"That's better. Without armor, I felt naked."

Is she serious? "You were naked." Yes, I had to point that out. Even if it was obvious.

"Not that kind of naked. But, yes, that too. I don't do well in civilian clothes either."

No, her new equipment definitely was made for a hard lifestyle. Oh, should I take a peek? I probably can view what Becky is wearing. Yes, I can. Sweet. Must be because I am still her owner. Not in the slavery kind of way. Let me rephrase. The owner of her body.

Alright. Alright. That doesn't sound much better. It makes me uncomfortable too, you know. Let's say it - the body - is a rental I give Becky for some time. Yeah. That's much better. I am helping her out really. It's like charity. I am the good guy here.

"So, what now, Nadare?" I ask. "Back into the mansion? I bet you can collect the soul flakes in no time. I get my Automata back and you get your body. Gender too. And we can forget this ever happened."

"No way." Great. Now Nadare is doing some- Yoga? Stretching the automata's limbs. Maybe testing the range of motion? "Every adventurer out there would see me as an enemy. And I don't think you are ready yet to reveal your latest invention. No, people need to see me for a while. Get comfortable with me."

"What do you have in mind, Nada-"

"Call me Becky"

Huh? Why? Surely he is more comfortable with his own name. Maybe it has something to do with the setting? Naming the body made "Becky" address herself with this name. Or his name. Damn, this gets confusing. Maybe it messes with his mind in other ways too?

"Listen. Maybe I can change the setting to Nadare? Then-"

"Then I'd have a male name for a female body. And I like Becky as a name. It's strange but short and decisive. Never heard it before though. Is it from the eastern islands?"

"No?" Crap! He's onto me. Think, Lillyn. Think! "It's made up. Completely invented. Just some letters strung together."

"I see. Still, not bad. And as for blending in-" Becky straightened up. What? Nadare. Becky. If she wants to be called Becky, then Becky it is. And she is right. Female body and female name. Gotta treat her that way. Oh boy. Girl. Whatever. Where was I? Right. So, Becky is straightening up. Kind posing in a powerful way. Crossed arms and such and feet planted firmly on the ground. "I am Becky. Bodyguard of the trader Lillyn."

"Bodyguard?" Do I need a bodyguard? Well, I kinda do. Didn't Pasus mention something about abducted traders? Having a bodyguard would reduce the chance that I would disappear from one day to the next. Not to mention that one incident with the church. They kinda kidnapped me too.

"Think about it." I have. "As your bodyguard, people can get used to me. To see an Automata that isn't hostile. Maybe in a few days, they won't be shocked when I dungeon dive. I could say I was sent on an errand by you."

Huh. Guess Becky's and my reasoning are a little different. Still, it could work out for me. I get a bodyguard and maybe a test subject for my research. Not to mention that I can see how the Automata body works out. Not to mention bragging rights. If Dera sees Becky maybe she'll be more open to forgiving me.

And Becky? Well, I am not going to repeat all the advantages. Again. Hmm. Is it just me or is Becky more chatty than Nadare? Well, I can get to the bottom of that in the next few days.

"Alright. Deal. You can stay for- What the hell are you doing?"

"Jumping."

"I can see that. Why?"

"Testing this body's abilities. Pretty good, but there is a slight problem. I may not have much up top, but-" Yeah. Few have. In fact, only one. "But a brassiere might be in order. Do you sell some?"

Oh! She is clueless. Finally, a customer who isn't into my secret selection. Hmm. I could sell her something normal. Or I could have some fun.

Becky? Nah. Should have called her guinea pig.

Okay. I'll be busy for a while.

Choo!

Talk to ya later.


Finally time for my lunch break. Not sure if Becky even needs to eat. Or can. But she declined to join me. But before I can eat, it is time to check on my research. I thought going for another lipstick would be best. Not much can go wrong there and each one is a solid plus in my relationship with Myra.

So, I decided to get that enchantment storage device a go. See if it works as advertised. For my first try, I selected the growth enchantment. I mean, that should be able to plump up the lips, right? No need for injections. Just a little. Hopefully not full duck lips. That would be bad. Just a little boost. I imagine it could sell well with the ladies.

Alright.

Let's see what Besona throws at me this time.

Name: Transferring Lipstick of Minor Honeyfirn
Description: This dark teal lipstick helps the wearer to bestow a special gift to friends. Tastes like Honeyfirn.
Enchantment passive: Charging
Builds up a charge when worn on the lips. With an accumulation rate of 15 each bell to a maximum of 150.
Enchantment active: Transference
Kissing someone with breasts transfers the applied lipstick onto the receiver as a temporary tattoo.
Enchantment passive: Minor Honeyfirn
If the lipstick is worn anywhere besides the lips, it will use up its charge to fuel permanent growths of breasts. The result is one percent growths times the accumulated charge.

Ha! This is perfect! The ultimate weapon. Now I can bestow large breasts to everyone. They will find out what a huge pain in the ass they are. Or back. It might take a while for the charge to build up and repeated kisses to get them on my level, but mark my words, you all will regret messing with me.

Muhahaha.

I wonder if Myra would like bigger breasts. Hmm. Who else could I target? Iren? Essie? Oh, Essie got it coming. This will be perfect for revenge. This will be my secret weapon. Well, sort of. Knowing Besona - that world obsessed with large breasts - everyone will want to get lipstick like that. Imagine what this world will look like in ten years. Or twenty.

Just the-

Oh, fuck!

Someone could kiss me! I'd grow even bigger. And it would be permanent.

No way. Not on my watch. This lipstick can never get out. It is too powerful.

You know what?

What lipstick? Research failed. Got no new blueprint. Nothing to see here. All good. Over and out, or whatever.


This was an interesting day. A little "disappointing" in the research department. Aside from Becky coming alive nothing new. No lipstick. Don't know what you are talking about. Moving on.

Myra should be here soon. I'll be curious how she will react to Becky. The looks she got from adventurers buying from me were priceless. When I opened my shop today, she sat on the counter. Like a posed mannequin or so. Displaying her wicked armor and curved sword. A little false advertisement as the first customer asked if I now also sell armor and weapons.

Before I could answer, Becky stood up. "No, I am just her bodyguard."

You should have seen it. The dude stumbled back and then fell. Rolled down my Little Mule's ramp like a log. Then had trouble drawing his sword. A few others in the line leading to my shop drew their weapons more successfully. Their confusion and fear had been written on their faces. It was delicious to see.

Yes. Yes. I stepped in before anyone could react in a dumb way. Cleared up the misunderstanding. Mostly. I told everyone I had successfully researched Automata. The part that it needed a soul crystal to work? I conveniently forgot. That's a topic for later. Let's get them used to Becky first. An Automata among their midst is new enough for now. And who knows if Becky wants the connection between her and her old self to be known. I mean, at some point she'll return to being Nadare.

"I'll take this corner if you don't mind."

The question by Becky caught me off guard. Right. I haven't thought about where she would sleep. Do Automata sleep?

"I could offer you the eating nook in my living room."

"This is fine."

Probably is. The nook is rather cramped. Fine for eating, but not for much else. I wouldn't sleep there either. My back would probably kill me the next day.

"Sure. Go ahead," I say as I raise the ramp for the day. "I'll be going soon. Just a little walk with a friend around the courtyard."

"Will you be calling Essie and Iren before or after? Something about you going to the servant's quarters? Not a good idea for a void trader by the way."

Shit. How does Becky know about that? She must have overheard me when she still had been just a soul crystal. Someone really could have warned me.

"So, Becky, how much did you hear?"

"Well, you talk an awful lot when you think you are alone. Like, a lot. And all I could do was listen."

"Great-"

Was that the doorbell? Sounds like Myra is here. Saved by the bell indeed. Later I have to find out just how much Becky knows. Did I let something slip about Earth? I hope not. Better be careful what I say in the next few days.

Well, that is stuff to ponder for later.

"Hey, Myra. You'll never guess what- Maryn? What are you doing here?"

Not only was Maryn - chosen hero of Earth and Besona - here, but her whole entourage. But no Myra. Strange.

"Well, dear sister, I thought we should catch up."

Apparently, my confusion is evident. No, not that Maryn is calling me sister. After all, it was my idea to say we both are related. And in a way, we are. I would say we are bosom buddies. More for the joke of having the same enormous breasts than having an actual friendship. But to be honest, I hardly know her.

Before I can even react, Maryn steps forward. "Just us two. For old times sake."

"Sure?" I mean, W T F, but alright. "Let's go in."

"Mam." One of the entourage is stepping forward. Shit. It's the same creep who abducted me when the head priestess wanted to speak. "Perhaps outside is better? Protecting you inside is-"

"The inside is secure," a new voice added. Becky. I completely forgot about her, but now she is pushing past me. Just the sight makes all of Maryn's guards tense up. If Becky noticed then I couldn't tell. She has a poker face like nothing I've seen before. Better not play against her. Does Besona even have poker? Probably not. Maybe something similar.

"That's my bodyguard, Becky," I quickly say. You know. Before blood is shed. "She is a- Uhh. An Automata I managed to reconstruct."

"See? All safe," Maryn exclaims and draws everyone's gaze to her. "We'll just go in and have a little chat. You and 'Becky' can keep a lookout. Surely you don't think my sister would do me harm?"

Before dofus could reply, Maryn is on the move. Or rather, moving me. Ushering us into my own home. As the door closes behind us, I hear a big sigh from my 'sister'.

"Finally. You don't know how it is. They follow me everywhere."

"Yeah. I bet that sucks."

I mean what else am I supposed to say?

"Well, I didn't come here to bitch. Well, maybe a little. Can we sit down somewhere?"

"Sure. Up the stairs." Once we both managed to squeeze ourselves into the small seating area I couldn't wait much longer. "So, what brings you here? I mean, not that I wanna throw you out, but we ain't really sisters. Or friends."

Yeah. We couldn't be more different either. I mean we had similarities in our faces and we both had a mighty bosom. But there they ended. I was sitting here in a light tunic and skirt. Maryn meanwhile rocks leather pants and some kind of layered leather armor. Other pieces too, like vambraces and shin guards. Not to mention her giant sword. She had to unstrap her sheath for it to even sit down.

"I need someone to talk-"

Oh shit. Oh shit. Oh shit! Girl talk? I am not ready for girl talk. I've been a woman for a little more than a few weeks. Or rotations as the Besonians call it. Did I tell Maryn that I had been a man before? I can't remember! What might she want to talk about? Fashion? I suck at fashion. Look, I might appear more stylish than her right now. But that's by random chance. And surely she isn't always rocking the warrior style. Not to mention that she is from Earth. Doubt she wore armor there.

What else? Boys? I hope not. I don't know the first thing about boys. Well, from the outside perspective. I mean I had been one for a long time. I doubt that counts as something I can use to give relationship advice.

"You are from Earth too," Maryn continued. Ignoring my whole dilemma. Wait! This is not about fashion or boys?

"Yeah-"

"Do you sometimes feel like you don't really fit in?"

"Sometimes?" Was that question for real? "Constantly! Everything is unfamiliar and everyone assumes we know stuff that is just foreign. And they either explain little or explain as if you are little. Like pre-school or so."

"Then you know." What is that expression on Maryn's face? Some kind of weird mix between despair and relief. "Everything is new and foreign. And most of the time that is fine and I am excited. I mean how cool is it to be in another world and in your dream body, right?"

Dream body? Speak for yourself.

"But other times-" Now, Maryn just looks plain sad. "A few days ago I, honest to god, cried when a priestess gifted me some apples. Real apples. From Earth. I didn't even realize I missed them until I held one. I don't even know where she got them from."

"From me." Time to show off a little. Pulling one from the void is more than easy now for me. Nearly a reflex. Tossing it to her I got big doe eyes. Hell yeah. I rock, sister. Don't cha know? "Well, actually, Myra summoned them. That is the priestess. We are kind of an- Friends. We are friends. Anyway, she summoned them and I kind of duplicated them. So, you're welcome."

"How does that work?" Maryn asked. After biting into the apple. Has no one taught her to not speak while chewing?

"I am a void trader. You know how it is. The void gives and the void takes away. Actually, the other way around. First, the void takes and then you can get stuff in return."

"Yeah. They told me about void traders. Kinda cool." You betcha! "But how did- Myra you said her name was? How did she get her hands on one in the first place?"

"I don't know," I said while shrugging my shoulders. "The usual way. She is a priestess. So, I guess by telling a prophecy."

"You know how prophecies work around here?" Yeah, I do. No need to grab my arm as if it was a big revelation. Eat your apple. "Every time I ask a priestess, they deflect."

"Well, I know what Myra told me. They kind of tell a prophecy and then reinforce it with meditation until it becomes self-fulfilling."

Maryn is nodding along but then frowns. "That's more than what they told me. But how exactly can a prophecy become self-fulfilling? What's the mechanic behind it?"

Help! How should I know? I still am trying to understand this world myself. So many mysteries still to explore. Well, I have made some progress. Maybe-

"Well, Maryn, I don't know how priestesses and prophecies work in detail. But I think I have a theory. Based on what I found out about the void. The way the void was explained to me is that it isn't empty. It's like it has matter, but without fixed form. Without realized potential. So, Besona, and everything in it, is a kind of matter that is given form. Specifically one form. The potential is narrowed to just one thing. Yeah, I know that look on your face. I got headaches too the first time it dawned on me."

"So, priestesses and prophecies," I say slowly as I tap on my chin. Now that I think about it, it kind of made sense. "I think they kind of carve potential into the matter again. Like they give Besona an idea and make sure that Besona itself accepts it. And then, the world will make it happen. I don't even think the original apple Myra summoned is from Earth. It is more like Myra specified that an apple will appear and Besona got the information what an apple is from Earth. And then just created one from the void or so."

"If that is true, are we just copies?" Maryn asks.

"Well, I don't know about you, but I had a whole experience of floating away from my body and racing through inky blackness until I stumbled out of a portal here in Besona."

"Yeah. Me too."

"So, I think our soul and attached memories are the original. Everything else comes from Besona."

"Makes sense," Maryn says before falling silent. Lost in thought? Maybe. If so, then not for long. "That explains how prophecies work that summon things from outside. But what about those that work within Besona?"

Now, it is my time to frown. "What do you mean?"

"I overheard the head priestess and one other talking about another prophecy. One about me that is still unfolding. But when I confronted them about it, they acted like I imagined things. That they aren't telling or manifesting a prophecy about me. I think they are lying."

I can only nod to that. "Aside from Myra, I don't trust the lot of them. The church is shady."

"Which church?" Maryn asks as if it wasn't obvious.

"The Church Of The Otherworldly, of course."

"Yeah, they are the only ones, right?" Why is Maryn leaning over as if she wants to share conspiracy theories? We are alone. "Except, I overheard them mentioning another church. One based in the western empire. And guess what? When I asked they denied everything."

"A second church?" Well, that changes things. Is it the same as our church? Can they summon stuff? Make prophecies? Are they working in tandem or against each other? "That could explain a few things. Maybe the church - our church - doesn't have a prophecy about you brewing. Maybe the other church has."

"Maybe. But I don't care. Lillyn, someone is running a self-fulfilling prophecy about me. They always say we make our own destiny. But not in my case. I have no clue what they have planned for me. Is there a happily ever after for me or a heroic sacrifice? Because, right now, it feels like the latter. I am being run from one training session to the next. Always as if we are running out of time. Barely any breaks. I feel like the heroine of a grand epic, but instead of joining in the first act, I am thrown in in the last act."

"That sucks." Have I told you recently how glad I am that I am not the hero? Because all I hear is that Maryn is having a rough time. Yeah, she appears to be right now in the part that is usually skipped in movies. Except for a few scenes. Yeah. Welcome to Maryn's training montage. Except it isn't cut out for her. She has to go through the hard part herself. "Is there anything I can do for you?"

"There is. And I mean besides keeping your ears open for more information about prophecies. You will do that for me, right?"

"Of course, I will." I mean it is the decent thing to do. Also, I am curious too. Some of the things Maryn said had been illuminating. Maybe we can solve this crazy puzzle called Besona together. "Maybe my contacts in the void trader guild might know more. There used to be a time when the guild and church were best buddies. Though, not lately."

"That's good. Thanks. But there is something else." Maryn is holding open the palm of her hand in an all too familiar gesture by now. Above it, two transparent icons appear. One sheathed sword and a chest. "That's my backup gear. I have the feeling it is better to give it to you than to lug it around. From what I hear rumor is you are some kind of research genius. And seeing that Automata move- That gives me hope."

"I can try," I say as I agree to the trade. "Just a fair warning. Besona hates me. For every successful research, I stumble through three that are not only failures but designed to make me the center of a joke."

"Just try. Please? You are the only one I trust right now. You're from Earth too. I doubt you already have complicated machinations on Besona in play."

"Not yet." Looks like my joke fell flat. Maybe not the right time. Time for a playful jab at her rips. "Joking. I'll look into it. I promise. There are some breakthroughs in adventurer gear I have made. Come back in a few days and I probably have your gear enhanced by then. How much I can't say. We'll have to see."

"I can give you three," Maryn says while frowning. "We'll do one last deep dive into the mansion and then we'll fly to the next hardened space. One more difficult."

"I'll have something by then." I hope.

"Time to leave. Before my guards get impatient and storm your ship."

Yeah. Time to get to work. Barely managed to finish Automata and now I have a new big project. As if I hadn't a few of those already.

Wait. Is Maryn leaning in for a hug? Uff. I feel like a bumper car. Bosom pillow meeting bosom pillow. That was an ill-advised move.

Stepping out of my Little Mule reveals a tense scene. The guards are staring down Becky, who keeps them in check with her own stare. I guess that she can do that to a group speaks volumes about her.

The moment after Maryn joins her guards and walks off, Becky is turning towards me. "Everything alright?"

"Yeah. Just a little chat. Maybe no walk this evening. I have to call the guilt for some research of the mundane art."

"A good opportunity to make up with Iren and Essie," Becky reminds me as we step inside again.

My answer is a groan. Very verbal and heartfelt.

Yep. No avoiding it now.

Look, you don't need to witness me groveling and begging for forgiveness. Talk to you soon.

up
133 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Ditto

I had to re read the last part to remind myself what had been happening!
Enjoyed this new episode.
Thanks.

well as the old saying goes

well as the old saying goes Lillyin made her bed now she has to lie in it. she had just as well apologize and get it over with then she can relax and get onto other things, it should relieve some of her stress.

Sometimes you don't realise

Sometimes you don't realise how great something is until you no longer have it. I was afraid we would never get a continuation of this. Great to see it back!

I was hoping Nadare and Maryn would provide a core team for Lillyn to delve into the wharf (or was it garage?) to pilfer a certain ship prototype, which would certainly trigger a collapse, but if Maryn is leaving in half a cycle, doesn't sound like that will be happening. Too bad, I can see how that ship could revitalise the void-traders guild for many big-busted generations...

Becky!

Hmm... From the Discord... I'm wondering if the Automata are alive enough to gather Flakes... Or as part of having an Owner, they're funneled to the Owner.

Why is there an Owner system? Just Maynard being a perv? Or is that some unknown part of Besona that only he and now Lillyn, have (re)discovered?

Every time Maryn arrives, it nearly gets violent. Third times the charm?

Prophecies and Void-trading and Meditation are forcing ideas into Material Form... Why does the Blupple call Lillyn reckless? Is she subconsciously calling herself reckless? Hmm...

Artificial Bodies are interesting... Can Becky swap parts out?

Becky now has two sets of Inventory. Good for carrying more things! But can she be even better at it? Can Lillyn make a better Mule (Maid) by researching parts for it?

Boobs as Magic Storage? Hmm...

"That's good. Thanks. But there is something else." Maryn is holding open the palm of her hand in an all too familiar gesture by now. Above it, two transparent icons appear. One sheathed sword and a chest. "That's my backup gear. I have the feeling it is better to give it to you than to lug it around. From what I hear rumor is you are some kind of research genius. And seeing that Automata move- That gives me hope."

Lillyn on the Offensive! ... What enchantments could Lillyn be using for the gear? Maiden Sword and stuff? Gets better with bigger boobs? Hmm... That sure would work with Maryn...