Thanks Truck-kun For Making Me A Trader - Part 12/27

Printer-friendly version

Good morning my imaginary audience. Breakfast is running long today. Nibbling an apple, I can't help but contemplate the events of yesterday. And I don't mean the latest brassiere enchantment Besona threw in my face to annoy me. Let's not speak about that one ever again.

Yesterday I met Maryn. Formerly Marie. She used to be from Earth just like me. Because of a slip of tongue, I am now in the awkward position to play the role of her sister. To cement her cover story. I even struck a deal with this stupid Church Of The Otherworldly. But here is the problem. If I am Maryn's alibi that she isn't from Earth, then maybe I shouldn't shout out that I am. And I did so on a few occasions. Thankfully the list of people who know isn't long. Maybe I can talk to them to keep their mouth shut.

Time to finish my apple and figure out how projections work. Pasus told me my Little Mule actually could project me elsewhere. A little detail Essie and Iren forgot to mention.

Hmm, you know what? Apples without a core and seeds do have one advantage. You can pretty much eat them whole without trouble. That is definitely a plus.

Alright. Time to figure out the projection system. I think I access it over the main console. Or panel? Main computer? Tapping it, a holographic display appears. So many menus. Look, I know it is there for a while. I just haven't played around with it. This thing keeps my Little Mule running. Or rather flying. I thought it would be wise to not poke around in the settings without knowing a damn thing about them.

There is no projection sub-system. Wait. Communications, duh. A pretty logical name for it. The list of contacts is nearly empty. There is only one entry.

> Hub #5 (Dimole) <

I hope this is the right one. Else I am in for a scavenger hunt for the correct address. Alright. Here we go. Time to find out how it is to be a projection.

A split second later, I find myself in a big room with a Marmor floor and high polished wooden walls. And look at that. My arm is transparent. I am a ghost. BoooOOooo!

"Welcome to the Dimole trade-hub. What can I do for you?"

Shit. I'm not alone. Right. I mean, it would have been inconvenient to arrive somewhere and no one would be there. Turning around, I now see a clean-shaven and neatly dressed guy behind an enormous reception desk. That thing is massive. Like those old-timey wooden desks, they used in the Renaissance period.

"My name is Lillyn. Is this the trade-hub run by Iren?"

"That is correct."

"I'd like to speak to Iren and the apprentice Essie."

"I am afraid Mistress Iren is rather busy."

"Just tell her I want to speak to her and that it is kind of urgent. And don't forget to invite Essie."

"One moment."

How many hops do I have to jump through to-

No, wait. I have to remember that I came here unannounced. And as far as I know, Iren is rather busy.

Hmm, the guy is speaking to something that looks strikingly similar to a telephone. Well, I guess the design is rather practical. Not to mention that Besona has the technology. It is easy to forget parking your flying ship on the frontier and being surrounded by adventurers. Who knows what they got that is even ahead of Earth technology.

"Mistress Iren will be with you shortly," the guy suddenly announced. "I'll be transferring you to the conference room one."

"Don't forget to get-"

And I am in another room. Just a short blur and here I am. How rude. Hopefully, he remembers to invite Essie. I need to speak to her too.

This room is furnished with a large table and about a dozen chairs. Maybe I can sit in one? Nope. I fall right through. The table is immaterial too. I know what you gotta say. But, Lillyn, you are a projection. You can't interact with objects. Well, Iren did. Don't ask me how, but she sat on things while being a projection in my Little Mule. There's got to be a way.

"Lillyn! Is there a problem?"

Turning around, I see Iren enter the room. Wow, what a sight. Despite the early hour, she is already styled and dressed. And not just casually. She wears some kind of dress that starts harmlessly with white fabric cupping her bosom and shoulders. But then transitions to large bronze-colored scales that hug her waist and hips. Below, some layered gauzy red fabric is billowing out like a skirt. Her dreadlocks, with beads the colors of her dress, fall loosely down her back. She could be a model on Earth. An eccentric one, but still very popular.

"It better be an emergency," Essie complained as she walked into the room right behind Iren.

Unlike the Mistress of the trader-hub, Essie is barely dressed. It looks like she is still in a nightgown and only threw on a cardigan over it. Her vibrant red hair is a mess. Unlike usual when she styles them in elaborate braids. To be honest, she kind of looks cute like that. But, psst. Don't tell her that.

"It is urgent. But I wouldn't call it an emergency."

"Great," Essie pushes out while throwing her hands in the air. "The one day I have afternoon shift and can sleep in. Did you have to call right at the crack of dawn?"

"Essie," Iren said to cut the apprentice's rambling off. "I bet she has a good reason to do so."

"I know," Essie said aloud. But her eyes send a different message. That my reason better is good. Or else-

"I had a run-in with the Church Of The Otherworldly yesterday and-"

I was cut off by a loud groan coming from Iren and, for a moment, she looked just as tired as Essie.

"I hope you didn't antagonize them. Our guilds aren't on the best terms already."

"Well, it was a bit scary," I admit out loud. "But we came to an agreement."

"Alright," Iren said with a nod. "Everybody sit. Then you can explain."

Essie plopped down on a chair like a sack of potatoes. Meanwhile, Iren took the time to pull a chair back and graciously sit down. Probably to not step on her skirt or such. And me?

"How do I sit? I mean as a projection?"

Essie gave a shrug, so I look towards Iren.

"Well, as a projection, your mind can do a few things. Sitting is one of the simpler concepts. Imagine a surface where you want it to be. If you define it clearly enough, the system should create one that is simulated to interact with you."

Alright. Let's give it a try. Imagine a surface on a nearby chair and-

Damn. Landed on the floor again. Much to the amusement of Essie. Yes, I heard her stifled giggle.

"It takes a while to get the hang of it," Iren added dryly.

"Guess I stand for now."

"So, what happened that is so much more important than my beauty sleep?" Essie asked.

"Three days ago, a Little Swan arrived at Maynard Mansion," I started my tale. "Without markings, but I soon found out it belongs to the church. Myra, the priestess I asked you to find Essie, is actually on that ship. Along with Maryn. The hero they summoned from Earth."

"I know you told us about the hero summon," Iren mused out loud. "But not her name. Why is that important?"

"Because I messed up and revealed myself as from Earth too. And, to avoid a conflict, I proclaimed myself her sister."

"I guess the church didn't like that," Essie remarked. Now waking up a little and looking more alert.

"Yeah. Send some goons so we have a little chat. I am fine. We came to an agreement. One even beneficial to me. But I need your help with that."

"What are the terms and how do we factor into it?" Iren asked while leaning forward. Her puffy dress crinkling beneath her.

"I play her sister. As an alibi. To vouch for Maryn not being from Earth. In return, I get items from Earth now and then. I can't sell them as is, but I can use them as a foundation for research. Of course, that alibi for Maryn hinges on one important detail. That everyone thinks I am from Besona too. So, I need you to keep that detail hidden."

"You woke me for that?" Essie pushed out with a huff of annoyance. "I'm already doing that. Iren thought it is best to keep tight lit on the fact where you are from."

"I thought it is best to contain the information until you are ready for it to be known," Iren took over. "With your aptitude, people might try to take advantage of you. For now, I have ordered everyone at the hub who knows of you to remain quiet."

Of course, it goes without speaking that Iren is one of those people. But at least her motivation she made known. I was to revive the trader profession by researching new and exciting products. I don't mind. That's what I am doing anyway and Iren knows that. Instead of hovering above me, she gave me plenty of space and support. To find my own legs to stand on as a void-trader. It might be self-serving, but she was open about it and it is for a good reason.

Essie meanwhile has a different motivation to help me. Through Iren, I know that Essie would love to have her own private harem filled with sexy girls. And I was her chosen centerpiece. The first conquest she hoped to land. Not that she was very successful in that regard. In fact, sprawled on her chair half asleep, probably wasn't a good advertisement for her cause. So far, she hadn't appeared sincere in her pursuit. Then again, maybe that is for the best. I don't know how I would react to that if she got all serious.

"That's good," I say aloud instead of the many thoughts that run through my head. "Better than I hoped for."

"I'll be visiting you in person in a few days," Iren announced. "Then, we can talk about the details and implications of your deal with the church."

Right. What did I say about her not hovering and giving me space?

"You don't need to check in on me. As long as I stick to the deal I am fine."

"It's not that," Iren waved my complaint off. "I actually need to do some business. My mistake was to tell my girlfriends about your newest product. Now they all want one."

Ah, yes. Can't forget that Iren actually has a harem. One so successful that she was pressured into a fixed position at the hub to curb her ambition of growing it. Apparently, it didn't just come with benefits. I wonder if Essie would buy me presents too if she manages to get me in her harem. Wait. Bad thought, Lillyn. Do not go into a relationship for monetary gain. I think being a void-trader starts going to my head.

Speaking of- Is it just me or is Essie now wide awake? Of course, now we are talking about a topic she is very interested in. I can't forget that Iren is Essie's big Idol. In fact, I think she actually came to this trading hub to specifically learn from Iren.

"It actually isn't my newest product anymore. But I can prepare a few copies in advance."

What did I say? Iren just gave a short heartfelt laugh. Now shaking her head and actually wiping away a tear of laughter.

"Oh, you don't know my girlfriends. Every model. Every color. For each of them. Nothing less will do. I hate to say it, but you'll be making a big profit off of me."

Well, I can get behind profit. Who knew my biggest single sell would be to my mentor? Then again, I could have predicted it if I had thought about it even a little. My enchant-up bras could become a big hit with those who could afford them.

"I'll be looking forward to it then," I say with a big grin and rub my hands. What? I think I am contractually obliged to do so as a void-trader.

"Alright," Essie piped up and pushed out of her chair. "I guess that's it. Now I can go back to bed. Next time, Lillyn, if you get me out of bed this early, you better dress accordingly."

Did Essie just flirt with me? Too late to ask what she meant. Essie is already out of the door. Iren is only giving me a shrug, but I saw that twinkle in her eyes. It looks like I am in trouble.

"See you in a few days," Iren said while standing up too.

"Until then."

With a single thought to my Little Mule, I end the projection. At once, I find myself back on my ship. Lying on my floor and drooling on the carpet. My head hurts. Did I bump it? Clearly, if a projection is initiated, my body goes limp. Better make sure to sit down first before my next projection. Which actually is about right now. As soon as I figure out how to add Pasus's Little Mule to my communication system.

Alright. Here we go.

Hmm. Nothing happens.

Maybe it didn't work?

Or-

Suddenly I am in another Little Mule. I see pastel blue walls and furniture in other shades of the color. Quite the contrast to the black hull outside. Of course, sitting in the dining nook is the man I wanted to see. Just enjoying his breakfast.

"Lillyn," Pasus said while standing up. "I didn't expect you to call so early."

"There is something important I need to talk to you about."

"Alright," Pasus said while casually scratching his beard.

Hold on. Beard? Oh my. He has some stubble. Not quite a three-day beard yet. It looks like he hasn't shaved since he left Maynard Mansion. It doesn't look bad. Just unfamiliar. Of course, it is nice to see Pasus in casual clothes too. For work, he wears a heavy black robe. It's a part of the image his merchant family is portraying. Now, a white tunic and brown leather pants give a whole different feel. Quite roguish.

"How many people have you told about me? That I am from Earth."

"None," Pasus replied immediately. But added to it after a moment. "Well, I told my mother about you. I swear she can sense if something new is going on in my life. Digging until I reveal what. But I haven't told her about you being from Earth yet. I only mentioned your high aptitude for void-magic."

"I see. That's good. To be honest, I need a favor from you. More than one, actually."

"I am all ears."

"If anyone asks, don't tell them I'm from Earth. Just say that I told you I am from some backwater town or such."

"Which is technically true," Pasus remarks. "That's what you told me first. I don't see a problem with that."

"Now for the bigger favor. Mention that I have a sister called Maryn."

"But you don't. Since you are from Earth."

"She is too. From Earth, that is. Maryn arrived a half bell after me on Besona. Unlike me, her arrival wasn't an accident. In fact, she is rather important. That's why she has enemies. Me playing her sister provides an alibi for both of us."

"I can do that," Pasus promises to me. "Though I doubt someone will ask. This world is big and what is noteworthy in one part might be nothing more than gossip in others."

Yeah. Just like the fact that the Western Empire is spreading. Still far away, but it got Pasus' family freaked out enough to run with their tail between their legs to the far reaches of Besona. Dragging Pasus along.

"You are probably right. Still, it can't hurt."

"It's been a few days since I left. I am curious. Did my gift help your research?"

Right. Pasus was the one who gave me the Bracelet Of Shielding. Leading to a string of new products. Though most of them I don't sell yet.

"In a way," I admit aloud. "I tried boosting the bracelet with a mana potion, but instead of a better bracelet, I got Potions Of Shielding."

"I never heard of Potions Of Shielding. Do they have the same effect? Amazing."

"Same effect, but even stronger. That's why I, going forward, used it for my research. But I couldn't get the enchantment onto my clothes. Instead, I got this tunic and skirt. Both with the enchantment of sustaining. Reducing the decay of an active shield."

"They look good on you." Pasus looks for the moment to the side. Lost in thought. Tapping his fingers against his lip. "It could be because you used the potion instead of the bracelet. They might have the same effect, but their application is different. This could influence the research. I also remember talking to traditional manufacturers. They mentioned that the item dictates what enchantments are possible. The volume and the material are playing a big role."

Is it that easy? Using the bracelet instead of the potion? Why didn't I think of it? Now, I feel stupid. Come to think of it, Pasus might be onto something.

"That explains why the health-strider enchantment grew in strength when I used taller boots."

"Health strider?"

"Right. My latest research. Boots that build up a charge, which can be converted to health points. I am not sure how practical they are yet."

"Still. That's amazing. I knew you would create new things. Never seen before."

Just like Iren. Such confidence that I will revolutionize the void-trader business. Then again, I am on my way to get there. If Besona would, just for a moment, stop throwing monkey wrenches.

"I think I better go now. You have been giving me a few good pointers I want to try out."

"I miss our walks in the evening," Pasus suddenly says while stepping forward. If I wasn't a projection, I think he'd have taken my hand. "My evenings now appear so boring now."

"I do too."

What? He is good company. And I can't help but feel that my research would run smoother if we had this exchange sooner.

"Lillyn. Before you go."

Uh oh. He isn't confessing his love for me, right? I mean, I know he is into me a little. But that's just my exaggerated body. I get plenty of stares. Pasus is young and male. Seeing a woman like me is bound to cause a reaction. Believe me, I know. Not so long ago, I was a man too.

"About enchantments," Pasus continued. "You know you can stack them, right?"

"What?"

This is not what I expected. But color me intrigued nonetheless.

"It is hard to do for a void-trader," Pasus explains. "Well, a normal one at least. Just know that the material determines the strength and number of possible enchantments. But enchantments themselves are independent and can use the full capacity."

"I don't get it," I admit aloud. "What are you trying to say?"

A little lost, Pasus eyes roam the living space of his Little Mule. Then I see an idea blossoming in his eyes. With a short gesture, he summons an item. A spellbook.

"This is one of our most expensive products. The materials allow for not only strong enchantments on the book, but also to be placed quite a number of them. But the enchantments don't share the capacity for strength the book provides. Each one is independent and can be strengthened individually to the maximum amount."

"I think I understand. If I would add a new enchantment to the Bracelet Of Shielding it wouldn't diminish the enchantment on it. Rather it would be complimentary."

"Exactly!"

Well, that's the Pasus I know. Excited like a little puppy. Back to being adorable. I think he could grow a full beard and still look like a young boy when he gets excited like that.

"Now I got even more to experiment. Thanks, Pasus."

"You are welcome. And don't be a stranger. Call if you need help with something. Or you know. Just to talk."

"I will."

Giving him a small wave, I terminate the projection. Just to "wake up" on the floor again. I sat down before calling Pasus, but apparently, my body fell over. Once again, I find myself drooling on the floor. I wonder if others have the same problem using projections.

Well, I think I tied up all loose ends nicely. I am also glad that those few friends I have I can count on. Even if they are grumbling about it or making jokes.

Well, time for work.

And maybe a research or two.

....

....

Oh damn. This is heavy. Right. You have no idea what I am talking about. It is evening and I spent the whole day researching stuff. Well, I did trade too, but that was boring.

Remember how Pasus said I can stack enchantments? Well, I had to try it. First, I wanted to put the Bracelet Of Shielding and my normal tunic onto the research bench. But why bother? If Pasus was right then it should be okay to put the bracelet together with my Simple Tunic Of Sustaining. And it worked. Pasus was right.

I not only got the "Sustained Tunic Of Shielding" but also an upgrade to the bracelet. It has the sustaining enchantment too. The description for the tunic changed a lot too, but I didn't know until I tried it on now. Along with the "Sustained Skirt Of Shielding".

Both garments were a lot stronger now that their source item. But it was bought with weight. Or rather material. Looking in the mirror, I can hardly see the original tunic and skirt anymore. Most of the garments are hidden under a layer of chunky metal applications that share the same design as the bracelet. Grey metal that has a delicate pattern of silver lines. Connecting a larger blue gem and four smaller red ones. Below the applications, I can make out more silvery lines. Probably in a circuit-like pattern again, but I am not sure. My mirror image looks so strange. Gone is the void-trader. The tunic and skirt look like scale armor. And they weigh a ton. I can barely walk in this.

Wait.

Someone is at the door to my Little Mule. Who could it be? Myra? I hope so. The alternatives sound less than pleasing. Time to make my way downstairs. Yes, in my new heavy garments. If it isn't Myra then I'll be happy to wear it.

Time to activate all enchantments. Oh, yeah. Over three thousand points of shield strength. And I still could bump those numbers up with a few shield potions.

Opening the door indeed revealed Myra. Seeing me brought a smile to her face. Only to take a step backward in surprise noticing my new garments. Damn right. They might be substantial, but they look impressive.

"Lillyn. Hey. What are you wearing?"

"The newest in protective void-trader appeal," I reply with a barely suppressed smile. "Do come in, Myra. I am not in the mood for a walk this evening."

Stepping close, Myra instead takes my hand and looks me into the eyes.

"I am so sorry, Lillyn. I've heard about your talk with the head priestess. You've got to believe me. I hadn't known they would do something like that. Else, I would have warned you."

"It's alright," I say, patting her hand. "I survived and I emerged stronger for it."

I gesture towards the stairs and Myra takes the hint. With a nod, she starts to climb the stairs. Time for me to follow her up. Damn this heavy outfit. And Besona for giving me only a strength-stat of five. Even one point more in the stat would make this easier.

Arriving on top, I find Myra waiting. Hovering really. It makes me smile. Myra might worry a little too much, but it is nice to actually have someone to do so. As I take a seat in my small seating nook, Myra joins me. Sitting not far from me. Our knees nearly bump under the small table.

"So, what brings you to me this fine evening?"

Once again, Myra is fishing for my hands. Pulling them on the table and taking them in hers. She is always so grabby. Maybe skinship is very important to her. Not that I really mind. She has nice soft hands.

"To check in and make sure you are alright."

Always looking out for me. I give Myra a reassuring squeeze. She earned it.

"Well, as you see, I am fine. No harm was done and I got the church to back off."

Suddenly, Myra pulls her hands free and leans back. Trying to sink into her seat. Not that there is much space to do so. Even going so far to avoid my eyes.

"I actually also was sent here," Myra softly admits. "An official errand."

What now? Did the church sour my relationship with Myra? If so, there might be some renegotiation in order. No, wait. I think I figured it out. It is Myra. She is ashamed that she is on this errand. Funnily enough, I know exactly how to fix it. Leaning over the table, it is me this time scooping up her hands. Drawing them back to the table.

"I know you are in a difficult position," I assure her aloud. "You are caught between two sides. Still, you asked about my well-being first. I won't forget that."

It worked. Myra is giving me a shy smile and a nod. At least, now she looks me in the eyes again.

"Now, what nasty errand has the church tasked you?" I ask softly. "So, we can get that out of the way."

"Right," Myra agrees with a resolute nod. "I heard you made some kind of deal with the head priestess. I am not sure what the terms are, but she instructed all the priestesses on the Little Swan to fill a box with otherwordly items. Things from Earth that we don't need. To quote her 'get that pesky void-trader off our backs for a few rotations'."

The last part she tried to say in mocking imitation but failed miserably, as giggling broke through. Leaving her with a big smile that is matched by me. Apparently, I got further under the head-priestess skin than she let on. Good.

"Our deal is that I give Maryn an alibi. Pretend to be her sister to obscure the fact that she is from Earth. In exchange, I demanded some items from Earth. With some stipulations, but those are okay too."

"I see," Myra says aloud. Then, with a sheepish smile, she continues. "Can I be there when you unpack? I mean I know all the items, but some we never figured out what they do."

"Sure," I agree. It might be amusing to see how a Besonian reacts to them too. Expectantly, I look at Myra, who looks right back. After a few seconds, it dawns on me what she is waiting for. The joke is on her. "You know, to unpack the box I need you to hand it to me."

"Right!" Myra shouts out while sitting up ramrod straight. Bumping my knees in the process.

Letting go of my hands, Myra starts to materialize a box out of thin air. The box itself is made of cardboard and quite large. Taking up most of my small table. Still, it was carried over by Myra easily thanks to the soul-inventory system. It is amazing how much one can carry with it without being burdened down. I could have used this system for quite a few moves between apartments back on Earth.

"Now, let's see what your fellow priestess gifted me," I say while reaching for the lit.

"Wait!"

With a sudden outburst, Myra slammed her hands on the box. Preventing me from opening it. Looking over, I see Myra violently blushing. What is wrong now?

"I forgot to tell you something."

"Okay. What?"

Whatever it is, Myra is wrangling with herself to find the words. Meanwhile, her blush is getting deeper and deeper.

"I mentioned that your aptitude for void-magic is high," Myra started slowly. "And that you can research things quite easily. So- Some of the Little Swan's crew missed some shopping conveniences and- Well- They put a few items in there. Hoping for you to research them. Modify them."

"It can't be that bad," I assure her.

Casting a few glances between me and the box, Myra finally withdraws her hand from the box. With a slight chuckle and shake of my head, I open the lit. The box is too big to peek into it. Instead, I have to reach into it and pull things out at random. My first try made me grab for leather. Belts? They appear in a knot, so I better lift them all out at once.

What comes out is a ball of interconnected leather belts with buckles and a- Is that a dildo? No, that can't be, right? Time to unfurl this mess. Oh my gosh. It's a strap-on. Myra's co-workers put a sex toy in. No wonder she is embarrassed.

Sparring a glance at Myra reveals her trying to match a tomato in color. Her face is so red, I am starting to worry a little. Though, it gives a nice contrast to her dark metallic blue hair.

"It's okay," I assure her. "I guess naughty people are universal. So, Besona has them too. No big deal. Don't worry. I know it wasn't you who put that in."

"Right-" Myra softly agrees but avoids eye contact.

No, where to put that? The table is full. It looks like the small space on the bench between Myra and me has to do. Now, maybe the next item is worth something. Time to blindly reach into the box again and pull out a new random item. Hmm. There are a few round things in there. Soft to the touch and a little flexible. Wait. Don't tell me.

A dildo? Again? Alright. Time to stand up and take a closer look. What the hell? The whole top layer of the box is made up of dildos and vibrators! Seven more to be exact.

Calm down, Lillyn. Compose yourself. Oh, my. As flustered as I am, Myra is worse. Avoiding eye contact completely. I've got to do something before Myra pops a vein or so.

"Well, as much as I appreciate the confidence I regret to say these items are not a priority for research. Please give your co-workers my sincerest apology."

Success, Myra is laughing. Maybe a little too hard. But it cleared the awkwardness in the room. So, all is good. Now, for all these sex toys. I better put them all in the soul-inventory of my ship. So, Myra and I can concentrate on the real content of the box.

"And for the first real item we have- A hairdryer," I announce as I lift the object out of the box.

"We have hairdryers too," Myra sheepishly comments. Her blushing is finally receding. "But we never could get this one to work."

"Well, it needs an electrical current. Is that a thing on Besona?"

"Yes, but the research hasn't progressed very much," Myra explains. "A few city-states started to integrate electrical systems into their infrastructure, but the uses are limited. There aren't as many applications for it as gadgets fuelled by magic."

A hairdryer is probably not a valid object for research. And even if I get a version that works on Besona, there are already alternatives.

"Next we have a can of- Something Russian."

On the faded cover is something very red plated. Some kind of soup?

"We had a whole pallet of it," Myra remarks. "So, a few of us tried it. It was- Strange."

"Well, I don't speak Russian, but if I am correct this is the best used by date." Because Myra is looking curiously, I show her the lid and the faded numbers. "This was made in the nineties. It probably spoiled a long time ago."

Maybe I dodged a bullet there. Russian food. It might be as alien to me as Besonian food is. Probably not a good option for research. Unless- The red of the soup is very vibrant. Maybe I can use it to dye garments. just like I used my Papush ice cream before.

"Wow. That brings back memories," I say aloud as I pick up a Nokia mobile phone. "We called it 'the Brick'. My mother gave me one when I was young. For emergencies. It was so rugged it survived every roughhousing and shenanigan I did with my best friends."

"What does it do?" Myra asked. Now standing up too to get a better view. "We never could figure it out."

"It's a mobile phone. You can call people with it. Just like projections. But only your voice is transmitted. As I guessed, the batterie is empty. Not that it would matter much. Mobile phones rely on established infrastructure."

"Is this a mobile phone too?" Myra asks after scooping up the next item in the box.

"No, that's an MP3 player. By the looks of it an older model." Seeing Myra's confusion I guess I have to explain some more. "A device to playback music. One of these can contain bells worth of songs to listen to."

Both, mobile-phone and music player, make for interesting research objects. If I only can get them to work with Besonian magic. No, I doubt I can get the phone work in a way to call someone on Earth. That's a bit unrealistic. But maybe I can introduce an alternative to projections. According to Pasus, those are quite expensive.

To have music from Earth might be a big boon, but probably not something I can sell. Imagine the head priestess finding out I peddle Justin Bieber songs. Come to think of it, that would be too embarrassing for me to consider. I probably need to be cautious while researching the player too. With my luck, I end up with a brassiere playing a honking sound every time it gets squeezed.

"I wonder what Earth music sounds like."

A look to Myra and I see that she has this thousand-mile stare. As if she is somewhere else. I can tell that she is curious about Earth. Probably the reason she became a priestess of the otherworldly, to begin with.

"Well, if I get it working again, you'll be the first to know."

The rest of the box looks far less promising. There is one of those vegetable cutters. You know the one. Cutting things to ribbons in a mockery of spaghetti in order to live healthily. Explaining that one to Myra was harder than I thought. But it paled to the CD with Christmas songs composed of meowing from real cats.

"Well, this box was a mixed bag," I say aloud. "Not sure what I can use later, but I'll let you know if anything works out."

"There is one last item," Myra revealed. "Well, not provided by the church. It is more of a personal favor to ask."

Now, Myra has me curious. "I am listening."

Instead of telling me, Myra holds open her hand and summons an object. It is small. A plastic tube well used. I see letters that have been worn or scratched off. Taking it from Myra I get the impression it can be twisted open. As I thought. It is lipstick. The blue wax inside appears to be mostly used up, dried out, and slightly cracked. It's clear to me that this little lipstick has quite the journey behind it.

"It belonged to my mother," Myra softly explained. "It was her favorite and she gave it to me when I joined the church. If you can revive it, I'd be most grateful."

"I don't think it should be too hard," I assure her. After all, a few spins of research and my papush ice cream was full again too. Heck, I probably can recolor the lipstick at the same time. I have no clue about make-up but I think papush colored lipstick might be more suitable for daily use than blue. Though the blue would match Myra's hair nicely.

"Let me put this on the research bench and then- What are you in the mood for?"

"Well, I told you a little about Besona. Maybe you can tell me a little about Earth?"

It looks like this evening I will be quite boring. At least to you, dear imaginary audience. After all, I think you are very familiar with Earth. Not so Myra. I probably have to start with the basics.

I'll talk to you tomorrow. I've got the feeling it will be a busy day with research. Hopefully without too many critical failures. But knowing Besona, I doubt everything will go according to plan.

Talk to you then.

Good night.



Hey readers,

Cassy_Bee here. No! Don't skip my ramblings this time. It is important. Today's part of TTkFMMAT is a little longer on purpose. A chance to highlight every single character that has a chance to grow closer to Lillyn. That's right. It is time to vote!

Who will eventually conquer Lillyn's heart? Or will it be her that actively pursues someone? The decision is yours. Please note that you can vote for multiple persons. If there is a head-to-head race (like last time) I might be willing to even write a love triangle. But don't make me write a harem for Lillyn. That's a little too much.

You had part 12 as a reminder, but here is a small overview of Lillyn's choices.

Essie
Occupation: void-trader apprentice
Motivation: To build her own harem with Lillyn as her first conquest.
Difficulty: Essie's affords are hindered by her own need to tease Lillyn.
Opportunity: Gain a void-trader for a spreading out trade empire.

Iren
Occupation: void-trader / mistress of a trader hub
Motivation: Iren sees herself currently only in a mentor role.
Difficulty: Iren has her own harem. If Lillyn wants to be part of it, then she might have to seduce her mentor.
Opportunity: Iren is very good connected to high society through her harem and has a wealth of experience to spare.

Pasus
Occupation: void-trader / specialized on magical artefacts
Motivation: Pasus is interested in Lillyn but too shy to pursue her.
Difficulty: Lillyn has to realize she is actually attracted to him (a man) and make the first move.
Opportunity: Pasus is part of a large mercantile family. He might also help her research affords with insight.

Myra
Occupation: priestess in the Church Of The OTherworldly
Motivation: Myra makes no afford to conceal her interest in Lillyn. But is it her she wants or just someone from Earth?
Difficulty: Myra is part of another organization. One that isn't exactly friendly to Lillyn.
Opportunity: Myra can summon objects from Earth. Though it takes a while. A vital lifeline to keep Lillyn's motivation up and her homesickness at bay.

Now, it is time to vote. The link is here: >>> LINK TO THE STRAWPOLL <<<

I also want to apologize that it took me three weeks to write part 12. Obviously, it was important to me to highlight each character that Lillyn might take a fancy to. I hope I did do them justice. However, this meant that part 12 became very meaty and got delayed in turn.

I hope the next part will be on time again. Probably focusing heavily on research. Now that Lillyn has a few options.

Until next time.
Hugs and kisses,
Cassy.

up
141 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Magic strap-on?

Maybe she can modify it so that the wearer feels like she (or he) has a real penis. It would be popular among people Iren and others of that persuasion, not to mention men who are old and eternally flaccid, or those with a micropenis (or who think that they have a micropenis.) Or just people who want to do it ten or fifteen times in a row without having to worry about the refractory period.

But speaking of all those prurient shenanigans, I vote that Lillyn do the chakat thing. Free love. Love needs to be multiplied, not divided. Chakat style polyamory. A girl or guy in every port. No harem, per se'. Not a part of Iren's harem, since Lillyn is not the type to be a kept woman. Nope. Just friends with benefits.

But she absolutely has to get together with Pasus. They work so well together. Together, they shall build an empire.

But they're just business partners. At least, that's what Lillyn keeps trying to tell herself. Until they somehow end up testing some of Lillyn's growing stock of sex toys.

After all, potions and adventuring items is all well and good, but anyone who has ever explored the internet knows that sex is where the money is. And she needs lots and lots of people to test her wares.

So, where can I find that truck? Does it ever wander the more rural areas of the world?

Sex toys and technology! Hmm...

"Right-" Myra softly agrees but avoids eye contact.

That's not the reaction of someone who's not lying... Going with the more indirect "right", and avoiding eye contact.

Not sure why the Church gave multiples of an item, since traders can duplicate things, but hey, it's more voidfavors she can devote to things. And getting improved versions at a discount of "I gave you the starting materials."

Also interesting that the Church has multiples of them...

I guess naughty people are universal.

And it's an item that can be used multiple times, alone... That is, "by itself". Pun intended.

...

Once Lillyn gets her Maid Torsos, since that's the Magic Power Source for the Maids... She'll be able to get things that charge from Ambient Mana, or however Maids are powered... Then again, they might just be powered by being Hardened.

Strap-on + Gynoid = Android...

Mobile Phones... Well, an easy pun would be Google Android to Google Gynoid... Also comes with Magical Power Source and Magic AI Assistant, Papush Ice Cream edition.

Dildos + Power = Vibrators.

Could also get magic shielding / healing equipment that's self, instead of movement, powered.

Lillyn's place is basically / going to be turning into a sex shop.

Myra knows that Lillyn used to be a guy, I think... So, the strap-on makes some sense, trying to apologize for turning him into a girl by trying to make things better...

Hmm... Potions + Strap-on = Male-ification potion?? Maybe it needs some Honeyfirn for that full on Transformation boost.

-----

If she ever makes a phone that can connect to Little Mules, she'll likely fall afoul of the Little Mule Accessories Monopoly. ... Anyone willing to protect her from that? ... The Church, since they need to protect the Hero's alibi??

It'd also be nice to not KO just to talk to other people.

Phones...

Interestingly enough, my son just gave me a solar USB charger for Fathers' Day. If she could get one of those, she could keep everything charged. Maybe the magic version wouldn't need sunlight. Or maybe a candle would do.

The cell phones might be used as a base for walkie-talkies. The adventurers would love them. Also, we take them for granted, but even a cheap cell phone has more computing power than what we used to get to the moon. They're many times more powerful than the old Cray super computer that was only available to the elite of the elite.

Of course, there probably aren't many programmers around. All of that Earth stuff takes a whole bunch of infrastructure and a whole lot of talented people to write apps.

Now, if she ever gets a can of pepper spray, she could combine it with a sleeping potion or the opposite of a power up potion. And she could keep an unmodified version for her own use.

Or maybe she can turn a sports bra into a bra of shrinkage. Or a pair of binoculars into a peeping tom pair that looks through walls. A microwave oven that runs on magic would probably be a popular item. Or, for the adventurers, one of those water filters that campers use to purify lake water.

here's a toy!

Sadarsa's picture

Strapon + Ipod = Plays "Closer" -By Nine inch Nails

~Your only Limitation is your Imagination~

Dildos plus growth

Dildos plus growth enchantment. Maybe add in the bouncyness one, not sure about that one.

Shush you - the poll is fine

I already said I won't write a harem around Lillyn.
Do you know how much work it would be to write one?
I mean, one in which the members lose all their personal depth of character.
The straw poll is fine.
But I can assure you, I am working on a story with the WIP title "Why Did You Give Me A Harem, Truck-kun?"
Though it is less pervy and more cerebral than you might think.

Question not asked

Jamie Lee's picture

Hey, had the church done its job properly, given that white truck a picture, Lillyn wouldn't be on Besona, and causing make believe problems. Problems that are considered problems because the church, like Governments that screwed the pooch, want it kept quiet.

However, there is a question that wasn't asked, like how did the church get its hands on Earth items?

Leon arrived on Besona naked, so those who arrived from Earth in past times couldn't have brought any of the items Lillyn has seen with them. So where did the church get them? Is the church just able to pull things from Earth? And if so why those items found in the box?

Others have feelings too.

If enchantments equal circets

If enchantments equal circets would combining them with something that has a microchip remove the extra bulk?