Chances Are - Part 9

Printer-friendly version

Chances Are...
Stories of Hope

Susan's Tale
by Andrea Lena DiMaggio
 




Stories of hope in lives healed by second chances



Bonasera Hair Salon, Fairfield, New Jersey....

 

Chances Are by Sheryl Crow played on the radio while a woman stood behind the girl in the salon chair and stared at their reflection in the mirror over her work station.

“This might be better suited to your coloring, hon," she said as she combed out the girl’s hair.

“I guess I’ll have to take your word for it.” Susan laughed and reached out with her right hand.

“What do you think, Arnie?” She patted the dog sitting next to the chair. He shook his head up and down as if to approve.

“Well, Sophie, I guess it’s the auburn.”

“Wise choice; that green blouse of yours goes well with the color.”

“Is that what it is? And here I thought it was my milky complexion.” Susan laughed once again as the woman behind the chair put the comb down.

“I’m going to have Jackie do your shampoo and then we’ll tackle the all important choice of style. We’re sending out for Thai…you want some?”

“No thanks, Soph….maybe something cold to drink?”

“Sure thing…oh, here’s Jackie right now.” Sophie nodded as her son came out of the back room and up to the chair.

“Well, Miss MacDogal? What say we take a stroll over to the sink.” The young man gently took the girl’s hand and they walked to the rear of the styling area and a few minutes later had returned to the chair.

“I see Arnie has a new harness. I like the plaid; almost like a tartan. Suits the whole Scot’s thing you’ve got going on.

“Aye, that it does,” Susan said with a fair impression of a burr.

“Actually, it was my sister’s idea; we sort of swap clothes these days and she just bought this at Piper’s Cove over in Kearny last week,” she said using her left hand to indicate the kilt she was wearing.

“Well, Miss MacDougal, it suits you, believe me.”

“Why thank you, Jackie. Please…We’ve known each other long enough that you should call me by my first name.”

“Okay, Miss…Susan.” Jackie blushed.

“You back to school soon?” She asked, tilting her head.

“Actually, the semester for CT and Pet Scans started last week. One more rotation and I’m certified. I’ve got a job lined up already at St. Barnabas for December. It helps that my Aunt Jo works in the department.

“I’m awfully glad that you managed that. I bet that will make you a bit more independent.

“Well, yes, of course, but I really don’t mind living at home. Mom is super and I’ve been able to put some money away since my last tour.

“Well, I’m glad for that, and I’m so relieved. I was so worried when you left that last time. Your mother was a nervous wreck the whole time you were gone.” She wanted to add ‘and so was I,’ but it would have been awkward to the max. She had never let on that she had feelings for the young man.

“Happy to oblige by returning in one piece.” He laughed softly but added,

“Well, mostly one piece.” He rapped his knuckles on his prosthetic left arm.

“May I?” She reached out and touched his left arm.

“Fiberglass?”

“Actually I don’t know what it’s made of on the surface. Titanium and stuff underneath. I’m just glad I was able to adapt so fast.” The feelings inside were coming along slowly, but Jackie was making progress in therapy. He had found a great therapist at Lyons who was able to help him individually, and his temperment seemed well suited to group therapy.

“I know your mother is so proud of you, Jackie, and so am I.” She immediately regretted the last few words.

“Oh…thanks Miss…thank you, Susan.”

“Are you two done talking? I’ve got an appointment at four, but I can bump that back a half-hour.” Sophie laughed as she returned to her work station. She put a bottle of diet Peach Snapple in Susan’s hand.

“Oh…yes,” the two said almost in unison. Susan felt her cheeks grow warm and a chill rose up her back. Jackie looked in the mirror and noticed that they were both blushing. He turned and breathed out a heavy sigh before adding.

“I’ve got to get back home for a bit to study for a test tomorrow, okay?” He kissed his mother on the cheek and nearly did the same to Susan, but caught himself in time enough to pretend he had intended to pet Arnie instead.

“Nice seeing you Miss MacDougal.” He said as he headed toward the door.

“Nice seeing you, too, Jackie.” She said in return before laughing softly. Jackie paused at the door and sighed again. He had known Susan MacDougal since before his senior year in high school. She was a freshman in college at the time, and he marveled at the determination the girl had shown. That marvel had turned into admiration and respect and then a love of sorts as she and he exchanged correspondence during his first tour.

“Bye, Mom. I’ll put dinner on about six, okay?” Sophie waved and nodded as her son walked out the door.

“He’s a great kid.” Sophie said, and Susan nodded her head, all the while thinking that he was more than just a kid. If only she had the strength to tell him the truth about her. Some things are difficult to take when they’re out of the ordinary.

“So auburn it is unless you want me to experiment.” Sophie laughed and Susan echoed her while adding,

“No fair, at least describe it to me before you do anything drastic.”


A little while later…

“You look gorgeous, Susan. And I’m not just saying that.”

“Of course you are, but you're excused. Under most circumstances I might be skeptical, but I’ve know you long enough to trust your eye on these things.” She paused and her smile dimmed a bit.

“You okay?”

“I have to share my secret with someone, and I’m scared, Soph.”

“Which one, honey? I see the way your expression changes when you hear Jackie’s name. I suppose the only one who doesn’t know is Jackie.”

“That obvious, huh? And here I’ve been going along all this time thinking nobody knew.”

“Everybody knows except the one who needs to know the most. But I guess that’s not the big one, huh? Listen, sweetie…I’ve known you since you were little. When your mother used to bring you into my shop when it was on Main Street…before Jackie ever helped out here.” Sophie looked out the window as if she was expecting her son to walk back in on their conversation.

“I know. And I know you care enough not to see me or him hurt. But I can’t help think that he will be hurt if I tell him.” She sighed and put her hand down and out off the armrest. Arnie licked it and playfully pushed her hand with his muzzle.

“You owe it to both of you to at least try. I know him better than you do, honey. He’s not just a good kid; he’s a great man, and I’m so proud that he’s overcome so much to be where he is. I think he’s got room in his heart for another.”

“Even if that other person isn’t really the kind of woman he’s looking for….isn’t even a woman at all?”

“Now you stop that! You’re every bit a woman as I am, even if you did take a different exit on the Parkway to get there.” Sophie began to brush the girl’s hair.

“And Jackie will figure that out, if he doesn’t know already.”

“You mean he sees this?” Susan pointed to herself and gasped.

“No, hon. That he knows that no matter where you start out in life, it’s where you finish that counts. You may have been Danny MacDougal when you were born, but you’re Susan now, and I think he’ll only understand, but that it will be more than just okay.”

“What makes you say that?” Susan breathed out heavily.

“Because of the way he looks at you. You should see the smile on his face the times he’s been here when you have.” Sophie frowned, absentmindedly hoping that the girl wouldn’t notice her expression.

“He smiles?”

“Oh, yes. All the time….” Sophie paused and looked in the mirror in front of her. The girl wasn’t gorgeous, but there was a quiet beauty about her that came out when she spoke; the face beaming at the mention of cherished things and people. A truly remarkable young lady, even if she had taken a circuitous route to get there. A route fraught with challenges that most young women might never face, and she faced them with strength and courage.

“Now…let’s just see. The picture on the left…that looks about right…a nice medium style cut that takes advantage of your face; especially your cheek bones.

“Well…you’re the expert and I do trust you.”

A short while later she stood at the counter to pay.

“Never mind this time, honey. My treat. After all, I wanted you looking your best when you tell my son you’re in love with him.” Sophie touched her arm gently.

“Tell him the truth first; I bet you’ll be surprised how much he cares.

“I guess you’re right.” She paused and shook her head slightly.

“I guess I don’t have as much confidence as you.”

“I have enough hope for the both of us.”

“I suppose I’ll have to trust you on it. But I’m so scared.”

“Don’t be, Susan. He loves you. He just needs to be reminded how much.”

“He smiles when he sees me?”

“All the time.”

“Hmm! Okay.” She leaned closer and the two hugged before she headed toward the door. Arnie paused while she opened the door. He stepped out onto the sidewalk and then proceeded to lead her down the street toward her apartment.

Next: Susan's Chance


Chances Are
from the album Wildflower
words and music by
Sheryl Crow and Jeff Stott
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgNF47aE4fc

up
55 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Waiting

RAMI

Waiting to see what happens. Perhaps, Jackie has some secrets of his own.

RAMI

RAMI

Yeah, the suspense...

laika's picture

Mom sounds like she knows her son, telling Susan she should go for it;
but this is SUSAN'S CHANCE, not SUSAN'S DONE DEAL IN ACCEPTANCELAND;
so still a plenty nervous situation. Maybe it shouldn't matter
but I'm kinda curious about what happened to her sight-
retinitis pigmentosa or rotten transphobic pigmen?
Love these vignettes, all these different folk
at a major intersection in their lives.

It would be cool if there was some way for these stories
in this Chances series to all come together in the end.
Like MAGNOLIA did, only maybe without the frogs....
~hugs, Ronni

This Does Bring Up an Interesting Question

littlerocksilver's picture

I wonder how many MTF there are who were blind from birth or very, very early in life. Does it take vision to make one realize the wrongness. What does a blind person 'see' that makes them sense they are in the wrong body?

Great story, 'Drea.

Girl.jpg
Portia

Portia

Do keep in mind that a lot

Brooke Erickson's picture

Do keep in mind that a lot of blind folks have some vision. I've got a friend who, on good days can read large print.

Someone like that would still need a cane or guide dog, but also have been able to see *something* in the mirror often enough.

Brooke brooke at shadowgard dot com
http://brooke.shadowgard.com/
Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world
"Lola", the Kinks

confidences shared..

... between client and hairdressers! So much of the reality of life for the TG girl. Who else can Susan talk to, except her Mom? I love your sensitivity in this writing. xx G.

So much love. So much fear. So much tension...

Ole Ulfson's picture

When that dam breaks, head for the hills. These two have the itch. Can they break the inertia and move ahead together?

Betcha!

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!

It would seem these two.....

Have already overcome many challenges in their lives. You'd think expressing one's love for each other would be easy, but when dealing with matters of the heart, the challenge is a daunting one! Loving Hugs Talia