If Wishes Were... Part 8

Printer-friendly version
If Wishes Were...

Ten wishes from ten women...


Julie's Wish

 


Why doesn’t he want to be my friend anymore?
What did I do? Am I bad?
Is there something wrong with me?
I wish I knew


 


Sometime ago....

Julie stood at the window, gazing at the driveway. Getting home had been chore to begin with, and it got worse as she played the messages back on her machine.

“Listen…Jules….I…I can’t make it tonight.” And then nothing; no apology or explanation, just an unemotional message on a tape.

“Why…” She sighed out loud. The next few words were almost stuck in her throat, as if saying them would not only admit the possibility, but seal them in amber like a sad charm on an even sadder bracelet. She breathed out and her lip quivered.

“Why doesn’t he want to be my friend anymore?”

“There… it’s out…that wasn’t so bad….” She thought.

No, it was worse than she expected. She continued to stare at the empty slot in the driveway, wanting him to pull up; sad and apologetic and warm and…the same man who knew her when she was Julian Fabienne; the best friendship anyone could ever have...more than a friendship...

“Buddies, Jules…It’s something special….not just friends, but like spitballs in class and making fun of girls in fourth grade….learning to like girls in fifth grade….fighting over girls in tenth and eleventh….Double dating for the prom in Senior year….” He had said with a strong pat on the back…and the best laugh in the history of friendship.

“What did I do? Am I bad? Is there something wrong with me? I wish I knew…”

She sighed again before walking to the couch where she fell down, collapsing against the back rest in tears.

The present…


“Julie? Are you okay?” The voice came from the bedroom.

“Oh, Andy…yes…it’s just…”

“Tonight...?”

“I know it’s been a long time, but still wish he would have come.” She sighed and turned to face her husband of twenty-two years. She stood up and smoothed the skirt of her gown before pulling Andy in for a kiss.”

“Any regrets?” She asked.

“Not at all…I’m the most blessed man in the whole world.” He kissed her again.

“And you deserve this night…I’m so proud of you.” He looked over at the statuette lying in an almost repose on the couch.

“’Best Supporting Actress’…a red letter day, to be sure.” He laughed at the irony of his statement.

“Hattie McDaniel and Halle Berre, move over…” he said as he nuzzled her neck.

“Yeppers…First time anyone in my family ever won anything.” Julie laughed softly before grabbing her wrap off the back of the couch.

“Pretty snazzy, lady….you look gorgeous, and the night is still young,” Andy said, kissing her one last time before they stepped out into the hotel hallway and toward the elevator. She noticed an envelope on the floor.


“To Julietta Fabienne”

Even after all these years, she still recognized the handwriting. She turned to her husband and shrugged as tears came to her eyes. He nodded and placed his hand on her shoulder as she used her nail to pull the flap, discovering a card with an embossed champagne glass and the word ‘Congratulations.” She opened it up and began to read aloud,


“I was so wrong then, and I am so sorry now. I wish I could make up the years we lost, and it hurts more than I can say that I cannot atone for what I did. I can only ask that you’ll find it in your heart to forgive me. Congratulations. I am so proud of you. Tommy”

By the time she finished reading the card was stained with tears as she had been crying softly. The card fell from her hand onto the floor and she placed her hand to her face and began to sob, ‘why…why?’ Andy leaned down and picked it up and stared at the card before mouthing the words silently,


“Dear Twin..."

Next: Mika's Wish

up
65 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I love this particular

I love this particular story!!! The emotion is so real and your dialogue becomes better and better. It's digusting for another writer!!! Brava dear Drea!!!

Your,

Brat

AS always

RAMI

As Always another touching story.

Rami

RAMI

The Future

littlerocksilver's picture

If ever one of these vignettes deserved a follow-up, this is the one. Twenty years he rejected her, and the guilt has been eating him up the entire time. Of course the reason for the rejection was not originating in her brother. It was probably a familial thing. Twenty years is just too damn long for something like this to be going on!

How did the note get there? The brother had to be the one to deliver it. He has to be close by with his family, waiting to introduce them to their famous aunt. Let the healing continue.

Portia

Portia

If Wishes Were... Part 8

You keep on surprising me with your stories. I was not expecting the ending.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

As usual

ALISON

'incredible warmth and feeling.Thank you,'Drea.

ALISON

feel like i am missing something

She read the letter, and it sounded positive, but she seemed to be very saddened. And what she read didn't include what Andy read.

"Treat everyone you meet as though they had a sign on them that said "Fragile, under construction"

dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

It's really about the sadness

Andrea Lena's picture

...over her estrangement with her twin; the regret that he took over twenty years to reach out to her, and even then wasn't even there for her when she won her award. In trying to be terse, I may have left it too vague. Like Portia said, though, this one is a story that deserves to be revisited. Sorry for the confusion.



Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

quite all right.

expand it hon, I think it will be even more wonderful.

"Treat everyone you meet as though they had a sign on them that said "Fragile, under construction"

dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Drea... It would seem that

Drea... It would seem that your well runs deep and never dries up!!! And its waters are so (bitter) sweet.

Trish